PREGAME Rams at Giants - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I mentioned it earlier in another thread where McVay changed his scheme this year. I pointed out how it's more of an intermediate zone oriented passing attack but I neglected to say how he's changed his run scheme as well. He's gone away from his zone and power scheme to run a duo style attack. There are different versions of duo run plays that teams use but the essence is that the RB is responsible for making the unblocked LB miss by putting him in conflict and influencing him out of the play. An example is how we have seen McVay run with his receivers out of a bunched alignment just outside of the TE. Kyren will often take a false step inside towards an A gap which draws the attention of the MLB, before he bounces it outside.

This type of play goes to Kyren's strength which is his vision and his quickness. That change in run scheme is a big reason why they went away from Akers and why Williams has had so much success. Duo run blocking puts a lot on the OL to execute their blocks based upon the alignment of the defensive front 7. It's also why they tend to be right handed in their run attack more so than previous years.

It's another way for McVay to put the defense in conflict because the Rams will run or pass out of that same look. BTW it's a style that is also used by the Ravens to great affect. But you need the right RB to make it work. Vision and quickness are a must and believe it or not not every RB has both.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I neglected to say how he's changed his run scheme as well. He's gone away from his zone and power scheme to run a duo style attack. Duo run blocking puts a lot on the OL to execute their blocks based upon the alignment of the defensive front 7. It's also why they tend to be right handed in their run attack more so than previous years.
Rams play direction balanced under McVay, year in and year out. If anything a hair more to the left this year ... Rams ran right more in 2020 than 2023.

But I'd call it balanced all years pretty even left to right whether you combine runs to tackle and end or guard, tackle and end. I think the numbers may show something a bit different than what you are describing.

Play direction depends on where ball is placed ... left or right hash or even when it is in middle (not too often) and if McVay wants to run to the field or the boundary or hit the middle.

NFL official stats on play direction---
2023-12-28_21-25-31.jpg

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I like that Kyren gives the Rams a more physical offense. It helps us match up with the whiners better. And with Stafford being "on", he's an assassin with Demarcus Robinson emerging as a threat in the #3 spot. That will make Tutu's role smaller, but Tutu can still stretch the defense with his speed.

TexasRam

Legend

Jourdan is dam near a Rams: Mcvay era - historian, at this stage.

Nice point about how Mcvay has reinvented his offense 3x now in order to keep up with the league. And is now in front of the league again.

What currently looks like 11 personnel is often a 12 personnel in disguise. Hard to defend when Kupp and Puka are coming in motion and being used as blocking TE's on some plays and WR options on others.

The Football world is taking notice. I hear it everywhere. You have to wonder if more Rams coaches are going to get poached and if drafting bigger WR's with "Can block" on the resume is going to become a trend.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This, every bit of it
Thibodeaux is finally showing what folks thought he'd be. Their D can be a little dangerous, force some mistakes, but like you said they can be run on. Cant lie, Im a little worried about this one
I worry about every game. As we all should. This is the NFL. Any given Sunday and all. The refs, the weather, a team with nothing to lose, travel, injuries. What's not to worry about.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's cool. I like watching the Amazon games because they have that Prime Vision that uses the All-22.
Dang, on first read I read Puka Vision instead of Prime Vision. lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I worry about every game. As we all should. This is the NFL. Any given Sunday and all. The refs, the weather, a team with nothing to lose, travel, injuries. What's not to worry about.
The Gnats might have nothing to lose, but they also have nothing to gain.
Is our team better? Yes.
I've heard that the weather at Met Life stadium will be 40 degrees with no adverse weather, which is good football weather to me (if true). Unlike the Gnats, the Rams are playing for their football lives and to be in that position in January is pretty satisfying. The Rams also have veterans who have been through a successful playoff run, who will give the rookies confidence. It's why I have little fear and quite a bit of confidence abut Sunday.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Weather in the low 40's for the game. No rain expected. Shouldn't be too bad. I remember playing sports in weather like that and not even thinking about the temps.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The Gnats might have nothing to lose, but they also have nothing to gain.
Is our team better? Yes.
I've heard that the weather at Met Life stadium will be 40 degrees with no adverse weather, which is good football weather to me (if true). Unlike the Gnats, the Rams are playing for their football lives and to be in that position in January is pretty satisfying. The Rams also have veterans who have been through a successful playoff run, who will give the rookies confidence. It's why I have little fear and quite a bit of confidence abut Sunday.
I agree with all of that, but it still leaves Any Given Sunday and I will not mention the other again for fear of putting out there and causing something to happen. LOL

RamWoodie

Legend
Taylor likes to chuck it deep, which is what scares me against this defense.
Yeah...because his mobility allows him to break down secondary coverage. Morris has to really be on them about not letting the WRs behind them. Meantime he has to pick his spots to send Jones, Hoecht, or one of the safeties in on a blitz. The DLine equally has to keep Taylor in the pocket.

Let's not forget guys on the Giants are also looking to maintain spots on the roster. It's 2024 they're looking to, so they're gonna play hard. That's where the spoiler mentality comes in!

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Yeah...because his mobility allows him to break down secondary coverage. Morris has to really be on them about not letting the WRs behind them. Meantime he has to pick his spots to send Jones, Hoecht, or one of the safeties in on a blitz. The DLine equally has to keep Taylor in the pocket.

Let's not forget guys on the Giants are also looking to maintain spots on the roster. It's 2024 they're looking to, so they're gonna play hard. That's where the spoiler mentality comes in!
Contain him a-la-Kyler. He can't beat anybody from the pocket.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jourdan is dam near a Rams: Mcvay era - historian, at this stage.

Nice point about how Mcvay has reinvented his offense 3x now in order to keep up with the league. And is now in front of the league again.

What currently looks like 11 personnel is often a 12 personnel in disguise. Hard to defend when Kupp and Puka are coming in motion and being used as blocking TE's on some plays and WR options on others.

The Football world is taking notice. I hear it everywhere. You have to wonder if more Rams coaches are going to get poached and if drafting bigger WR's with "Can block" on the resume is going to become a trend.

I think it was a really good move. It helps both the RB in the run game and the OL in the passing game. The opposing front 7 is kept guessing and a lot of it has to do with Stafford's experience at reading the defense. He has the freedom to change or modify the play based upon what he sees. That is the biggest difference between Matt and Jared. Goff is getting there but Matt is already there and has been for several years.

Frankly, I like this version of McVay's offense. It's a balanced ball control, chain conscious in his approach, but designed to get 15-20 yds i.e. intermediate yardage with the pass and 5+ yds on the ground. It not only protects the OL but also the Ram defense by shortening the game.

I just wish the defense was equally creative and aggressive.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Weather in the low 40's for the game. No rain expected. Shouldn't be too bad. I remember playing sports in weather like that and not even thinking about the temps.
In short sleeves no less to show off the guns. Those were the days.