Rams at Dolphins vent thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
why isn't it drilled into goff that when there's a free rusher coming just lob it over his head to the wide open rb behind him? it's irritating watching that and seeing goff oblivious to the pressure. lob it to henderson and let him take care of the rest.

Why do we assume it isn't drilled into him kurt? Goff regressed due to pressure and great coverage, it's a tough defense. It's not the end of the world, he's still a good young QB, but it's disappointing.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
why isn't it drilled into goff that when there's a free rusher coming just lob it over his head to the wide open rb behind him? it's irritating watching that and seeing goff oblivious to the pressure. lob it to henderson and let him take care of the rest.

Im guessing at this point Goff is trusting his people to pick it up and he's trying to go through his reads on the play and as soon as he looks at his 1st read, before his body is even in position to throw, he's being eaten alive from the other side.
So how often does the guy who gets through come through on the back side of the play? That's not a protection issue there? They are blowing us up and we run that?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do we assume it isn't drilled into him kurt? Goff regressed due to pressure and great coverage, it's a tough defense. It's not the end of the world, he's still a good young QB, but it's disappointing.

Im guessing at this point Goff is trusting his people to pick it up and he's trying to go through his reads on the play and as soon as he looks at his 1st read, before his body is even in position to throw, he's being eaten alive from the other side.
So how often does the guy who gets through come through on the back side of the play? That's not a protection issue there? They are blowing us up and we run that?

when i see the tape i just get frustrated. the zero blitz is coming he has to get rid of the ball, not wait for the play to develop. he has an outlet. he sees the zero blitz he has to have it in his mind he might have to use that guy. henderson could have easily made at least 5 yards if he got the ball there straight away. free rusher coming, throw it over his head.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We look pathetic. In what should be our good years. That’s the point I’m making. I may be wearing down. I need a bye week as much as the team. If this is our best, I might just punt.

no team plays lights out every game. even when the cheats were winning they had games like this where they couldn't do shit but still won somehow (probably because their cheating led to a defensive big play). we just don't watch their games to see that.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We look pathetic. In what should be our good years. That’s the point I’m making. I may be wearing down. I need a bye week as much as the team. If this is our best, I might just punt.

If this is our best?
It was clearly our worst.
And if Forbath makes that gimme, we would have been down 8 with enough time. We were still a couple of stupid errors in the second half from making a game out of it.

How many fans turned off the bills game or said they were done with our team at half-time? If they really did, they probably missed our best.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The Rams have yet to beat a good team. Their wins vs bad teams (and yes, the bears are bad) have even had some hiccups. The offense is not good right now. Once the short outside passes are defended...
When did this become a fisher passing attack? Use the middle of the field!

And the STs have got to be one of the worst in the league.

Coming out of the bye and handling the division foes is critical.
Read somewhere the Rams throw to the middle of the field more than any other team.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
when i see the tape i just get frustrated. the zero blitz is coming he has to get rid of the ball, not wait for the play to develop. he has an outlet. he sees the zero blitz he has to have it in his mind he might have to use that guy. henderson could have easily made at least 5 yards if he got the ball there straight away. free rusher coming, throw it over his head.

I get it but does he see it? He's looking the other way. He's behaving as if he believes its getting picked up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it but does he see it? He's looking the other way. He's behaving as if he believes its getting picked up.

i know. that's the problem.

he has to see it. it's not coming from his blind side. he sees it he goes to henderson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an excuse dieter so gonna disagree with you here.

Goff knows the play call and what everyone's doing on that play. He also knows what Hendy is/isn't capable of. The prob is he is not on top of his protections and it all starts with the pressures. Almost all the mistakes he made in fact were instigated by protections breakdowns up front.

I love Goff but he's a year 5 QB that looks like a rook on some of those plays. I get that people want to defend our QB but c'mon man.
Goff knows the play call? What about Henderson? Ogbah trots right past him unimpeded. Goff was tragically awful in the game, no denying that. But man, there isnt a QB alive who sees that one coming

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i know. that's the problem.

he has to see it. it's not coming from his blind side. he sees it he goes to henderson.

Well then if he's supposed to do something other than what the playcall calls for, he either shouldt be running it in this situation OR McVay or O'Connell have to be in his ear to tell him to NOT play it as its called.
If you want the QB to dump to a RB in the flat over an expected free rusher there, then you call THAT play imo.

Theres plenty of times a QB needs to make decisions and adjustments and there's plenty of times where they need advice. When a team is struggling, why put him in that set? Why expect him to create something in a split second when that's not been his strong suit. Call the play, Goff will execute it. Ask him to create on the fly with free rushers? That's not going to work.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff knows the play call? What about Henderson? Ogbah trots right past him unimpeded. Goff was tragically awful in the game, no denying that. But man, there isnt a QB alive who sees that one coming
I don't want to get into a deal where I'm bagging on our QB man, which is where this is going. I've done that enough in this thread I think. So let's agree to disagree. Cheers.

fearsomefour

Legend
Both sack/fumbles of Goff (14 points) were not on the OL.
Once the OL was trying to block 7 rushers with 6 blockers.
The other time the OL has 5 blockers with 6 rushers.
This obviously isn’t going to work.
The QB has to recognize this and bring someone back into block.....although I think Miami would have just committed the player that came back in with the blocker to rush.....or had to get rid of the ball very quickly.
The QB and receivers have to be on the same page on this and curtail the routes to the situation.
At least one guy has to be a hot option.
Trying to run the normal routes in this situation is suicide.
Perhaps Goff thought they were not all coming but Miami was clearly playing man.
At the least he needs to know the play is shot and throw the ball away.
Discouraging in that sense.
Goff is still developing.
Who knows if he is ever going to be a QB that can beat another team at the line of scrimmage.
He may not be that guy.
The OL was good enough.
The Rams WRs got little separation from the man coverage.
When they did Goff usually didn’t see them.
What other teams in the second half can line up and play a strict man coverage scheme vs McVay?
Whiners.....New England......anyone else?

fearsomefour

Legend

They were going empty backfield and it was pretty tight man coverage.
They need a short rub route audible for this situation.
Catch the snap and throw.
Either a short gainer or incomplete.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm not bagging goff. just trying to work out why he and mcvay haven't worked out this zero blitz scheme when they come up against it.

the question is - why isn't goff paying attention to the pressure coming and dumping the ball off?

i think that's a legitimate question that i would like the rams to answer by making any team that runs it pay, by going to the outlet and letting them make a play.

are the coaching staff drilling into goff what to do when he sees that front? if they are why isn't he following orders? if they aren't why not?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of this I'd also hope that McVay will be working with him on putting some arc on the ball on the short/swing passes in the flat. That's something all this hands up on the edge shit can be countered by. It would make him better in a pressured situation to be more comfortable doing that IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Henderson needs to pick that up. Waldman doing his analysis from the result back. That was a classic McVay misdirection play, sending Henderson in motion and the bunch set on the right running cross route back towards center of field. So much chatter about Goff "locking in" is silly. Reynolds running underneath is breaking wide open. Goff is reading the D right there and gets clobbered. There is no way to throw to Henderson, the play is is developing on the center to left side of field.
Goff may have been terrible in the game, but on that play he had no chance
4C5A5844-763E-4C24-A943-66AC8F633C03.jpeg

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

i'm not bagging goff. just trying to work out why he and mcvay haven't worked out this zero blitz scheme when they come up against it.

the question is - why isn't goff paying attention to the pressure coming and dumping the ball off?

i think that's a legitimate question that i would like the rams to answer by making any team that runs it pay, by going to the outlet and letting them make a play.

are the coaching staff drilling into goff what to do when he sees that front? if they are why isn't he following orders? if they aren't why not?

Im not sure what's what. Could be some of both. Maybe they've went over it but not nearly enough.

I think the rams have a tendency to run what they like to do in practice a little too much. Like they are stubborn and yesterday was a perfect storm.

I feel like McVay has used very little of his playbook and has gotten cute at times trying to beat a team without using everything he can.

There are tells on this team, because of how often we run the same plays and then how often we run the same set of plays.
Our backfield motion isn't being sold like it used to be.
The backfield motion plus counter or plus reverse or plus a toss or plus a WR throw.... we used to do more of that shit and better. Now, unless its Bobby Woods doing it, nobody respects it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
So much chatter about Goff "locking in" is silly

I just dismiss the locking in crowd outright.

The Rams run so many bunch sets...he’s got three in his field of vision in the photo, running multi-level routes.

And Todd would have chipped the free rusher, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.