Rams at Broncos - Preseason Game 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm running lights for him next month. How was the show?
Unbelievable. The most fun I've ever had at the many years if concerts I've been too. Of course, he's been my fiance and my favorite fit quite awhile. Our first time seeing him. It was electric and his light show was awesome.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Btw was anybody else annoyed by the way Fangio was trying to win the game at the end? I remember Asshole Face putting a target on his back like that a few years ago.
In this case it's just a head coach trying to change the culture and doing what he can to help the team win. Sphincters face is just an asshole.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing to keep in mind re: our OL is who they were facing. Very impressed by Anchrum and how he played vs a dangerous and energetic vet who was expecting to abuse him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Regarding QB arm strength. They said that about Drew Brees as a rookie and IMO his throws were much like Perkins. But arm strength is something that can be improved with a proper training regime. Brees dedicated himself to improving it and started immediately after he got benched in San Diego. His arm strength improved dramatically in less than one year. That following year was his contract year. His deep ball continued to improve over the following couple of years. So weak arms don't mean as much as accuracy and reading his progressions. Perkins has good accuracy for the most part and he has shown he can go through his progressions. Strengthening his arm is a matter of physical training.

The Rams would be foolish not to carry 3 QBs simply for Covid considerations. As long as Covid is a reality then IMO teams will begin to carry 3 QBs particularly if you want to contend for a Super Bowl. Kyler Murray has shown the limitations of a QB that can't read defenses. His career will be cut short if he is to be considered part of the normal run rotation. He has just realized that, which is why Cam Turner is now his QB coach. Cam is Norv Turner's son, and Norv was a key part of Philip River's development.

IMO Perkins is the type of QB the NFL will begin to trend towards. Basically a pocket passer with good running capability. That is what makes Mahomes so dangerous. He can beat you with his head and arm as well as his legs. Murray is a two read and run QB.

Perkin's run in the 4th quarter IMO sealed it for him. I think it made him #3QB. We saw how the backside rollout was something McVay liked. With Perkins, it can be an even bigger threat as he's a legit runner capable of getting 10-15 yds if the backside isn't covered.

Aaron Rodgers in his prime was a good example of a pocket passer with good mobility.
I will be surprised if he makes the roster.

Look at it this way, if we are down to him playing, the season's over anyway. Yet in the next yr or two a guy like Hoecht could be an important role player on a championship caliber team. Just look at losing Donald and needing someone to step up in GB last yr.

So if this is about winning a SB you keep a player that can help you win a SB, Perkins doesn't fit that formula

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
One thing to keep in mind re: our OL is who they were facing. Very impressed by Anchrum and how he played vs a dangerous and energetic vet who was expecting to abuse him.
Man I don't know, Von Miller basically manhandled him for a while. He played great when he got kicked down to guard though. OF course Von Miller is one of the best in the league and was probably amped up a little being back from injury. He did play a little better as the game went on while VM was still in though. Whole oline did ok'ish vs starters.

Overall, was a decent game for a lot of players. Gay and Bojorquez really shined.
Tutu continues to impress even with a couple drops at the end of the game.
Perkins has suspect arm strength but man he has NFL starter poise and accuracy. Definitely won't be upset if we keep 3 QBs.
JR Reed still seemed to be around the ball.
Hopkins finally made us say his name in a positive light last night which was a welcome change.
Jones was everywhere all though a few steps short a couple of times. Still liking how he looks though.
It's hard to judge center from live game footage but seemed like Shelton did a good job against Denver's starters.
Hoecht came to play last night, probably earned himself a practice squad invite at least.
Garrett still looking like an awesome developmental player to keep on the 53 and has really taken to the special teams role which will only help him.

Ones who did not impress was Howard and Gervase. I think Kiser beats Howard at this point if it comes down to the two. Gervase experiment at linebacker has been terrible.
Brontae Harris kept showing up for the wrong reasons.
Jacob Harris hasn't looked as good these last two games. At the moment he's kind of a one trick, end zone target pony because his between the redzone play has been a little weak. That's not surprising given how green he is and I fully expect him to still be great but he's definitely looked like someone who hasn't played football his whole life at times. Luckily, an endzone target is the main thing we need him for with our plethora of other pass catchers so he'll be worth the roster spot. He needs to learn to lean into passes though even if he can't catch them because he should cause a lot of pass interference calls with his size if he plays the ball right. He's getting boxed out a little too much.

Anyway, random thoughts I had after the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man I don't know, Von Miller basically manhandled him for a while. He played great when he got kicked down to guard though. OF course Von Miller is one of the best in the league and was probably amped up a little being back from injury. He did play a little better as the game went on while VM was still in though. Whole oline did ok'ish vs starters.
Von Miller in preseason is just a brutal draw for a young lineman, what we saw is what's gonna happen. Not to mention he soloed Miller quite a bit, wasn't like protections were slid over to help him like even starters get against a guy of that caliber. But either way far as I'm concerned Anchrum is really close. He was clearly a find in the draft IMO and will end up starting for us at some point somewhere in that 5.

In fact I am not down on our OL at all. It was far from perfect but given the Broncos' approach with starters they afforded themselves well enough for Perkins to make reads and distribute the ball.

Carberry has done a bad ass job with these guys IMO. He is off to a great start replacing Kromer.

Psycho_X

Legend
Von Miller in preseason is just a brutal draw for a young lineman, what we saw is what's gonna happen. Not to mention he soloed Miller quite a bit, wasn't like protections were slid over to help him like even starters get against a guy of that caliber. But either way far as I'm concerned Anchrum is really close. He was clearly a find in the draft IMO and will end up starting for us at some point somewhere in that 5.

In fact I am not down on our OL at all. It was far from perfect but given the Broncos' approach with starters they afforded themselves well enough for Perkins to make reads and distribute the ball.

Carberry has done a bad ass job with these guys IMO. He is off to a great start replacing Kromer.
Oh definitely, don't want to sound like i'm down on Anchrum because I still view him as our top reserve lineman for the guard/RT position. Last night was good experience for the guy going up against the best the NFL has to offer and he did hold his own a lot of the time. The whole offense and defense that played last night against their starters was impressive overall.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Overall, was a decent game for a lot of players. Gay and Bojorquez really shined.
Tutu continues to impress even with a couple drops at the end of the game.
Perkins has suspect arm strength but man he has NFL starter poise and accuracy. Definitely won't be upset if we keep 3 QBs.
JR Reed still seemed to be around the ball.
Hopkins finally made us say his name in a positive light last night which was a welcome change.
Jones was everywhere all though a few steps short a couple of times. Still liking how he looks though.
It's hard to judge center from live game footage but seemed like Shelton did a good job against Denver's starters.
Hoecht came to play last night, probably earned himself a practice squad invite at least.
Garrett still looking like an awesome developmental player to keep on the 53 and has really taken to the special teams role which will only help him.

Ones who did not impress was Howard and Gervase. I think Kiser beats Howard at this point if it comes down to the two. Gervase experiment at linebacker has been terrible.
Brontae Harris kept showing up for the wrong reasons.
Jacob Harris hasn't looked as good these last two games. At the moment he's kind of a one trick, end zone target pony because his between the redzone play has been a little weak. That's not surprising given how green he is and I fully expect him to still be great but he's definitely looked like someone who hasn't played football his whole life at times. Luckily, an endzone target is the main thing we need him for with our plethora of other pass catchers so he'll be worth the roster spot. He needs to learn to lean into passes though even if he can't catch them because he should cause a lot of pass interference calls with his size if he plays the ball right. He's getting boxed out a little too much.

Anyway, random thoughts I had after the game.
I agree with much of what you said, but as green as Harris is, the ball needs to be in the right place. Perkins sucked at that type of pass. Stafford will make him look alot less green.

Tano

Legend
Jacob Harris hasn't looked as good these last two games. At the moment he's kind of a one trick, end zone target pony because his between the redzone play has been a little weak.
Um - did Jacob Harris even play in between the red zone in either the Denver or Raider game other than the last series last night?

I think he was primarily only put into the game when the Rams were near the Red Zone

Psycho_X

Legend
Um - did Jacob Harris even play in between the red zone in either the Denver or Raider game other than the last series last night?

I think he was primarily only put into the game when the Rams were near the Red Zone
He did last night, saw him quite a bit out there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tutu's head is spinning lol. Early in that third down in the redzone on that first drive you see him sit down then do nothing. If he had scramble drilled to the corner it would have either drawn a DB (and allowed Perkins space to run) or led to a TD for the rook.

Here he sits down and isn't sure what to do from there:
1630260935042.png

Ho hum:
1630260976851.png

I mean c'mon man! Do something!
1630261032200.png

Homey's gonna have some coaching on this shit this week lol
1630261087026.png

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Tutu's head is spinning lol. Early in that third down in the redzone on that first drive you see him sit down then do nothing. If he had scramble drilled to the corner it would have either drawn a DB (and allowed Perkins space to run) or led to a TD for the rook.

View attachment 47584

Ho hum:
View attachment 47585

View attachment 47586

View attachment 47587
Yeah I noticed that. Tutu was useless on that play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta say the Broncos have some things going in that shitty over-oranged environment...

1630261671361.png

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

View attachment 47584

Ho hum:
View attachment 47585

View attachment 47586

View attachment 47587
And if Xavier turns upfield instead of running out of bounds could have been a TD.

Tano

Legend
He did last night, saw him quite a bit out there.
Um - I just watched the Ram offense and nope he was only in there for 6 plays before the last drive

5 in first half and 1 in second half

1) Perkins got sacked - didn't see what he did - out of screen deep - no time to get play off
2) Screen pass to Atwell
3) Incomplete pass to Atwell - out of screen deep
4) Run play
5) Another incomplete pass to Atwell - out of screen deep
6) Short 3rd and 3 - he was open short but Perkins went to the mid guy 10 yards out incomplete

Can't base his game on 6 plays where Perkins threw to a different guy - probably wasn't even main guy - just the guy to spread the field

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to believe Tutu didn't straight footrace to the open field here. He's got one guy with a full head of steam but I think he's got the quicks to take that wide. Wondering if they coached him to take them straight upfield with no dancing around...

1630261981712.png

1630262077828.png

Tano

Legend
Hard to believe Tutu didn't straight footrace to the open field here. He's got one guy with a full head of steam but I think he's got the quicks to take that wide. Wondering if they coached him to take them straight upfield with no dancing around...

View attachment 47589

View attachment 47590
Tutu is completely new to punt returns - hopefully he watches these films and realizes - hey I need to do that

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Know where that first down marker is Tutu...
1630262445398.png

Catches it here...
1630262526549.png

Runs out of bounds a yard shy.
1630262563334.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Dud: Tremayne Anchrum

Anchrum had some trouble on the right side tonight. He was in a tough spot early on going up against Von Miller, who beat him easily for a tackle at the line of scrimmage. Anchrum was also called for holding in the first half on a play that would’ve put the Rams in third-and-1 instead of second-and-13, stalling the drive in their own zone. He kicked over to left guard later in the game but it still wasn’t a banner game for the second-year player out of Clemson.