Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
Why wouldn't it also be Kalil? I think Fisher truly likes to build teams from the inside out, and have a strong running game.

Well, assuming Fisher is the guy, the Titans never took an offensive lineman in the first round his entire time coaching the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
brokeu91 said:
Why wouldn't it also be Kalil? I think Fisher truly likes to build teams from the inside out, and have a strong running game.

Well, assuming Fisher is the guy, the Titans never took an offensive lineman in the first round his entire time coaching the team.
Maybe it wasn't a top priority for them...already had guys in place and in the pipe.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

Maybe it wasn't a top priority for them...already had guys in place and in the pipe.

Well let's look at it.

Fisher inherited Brad Hopkins. But under him they did draft Jon Runyan in 1996 (5th round). When Runyan left in 2000, they replaced him with Fred Miller.

In 2005, they took LOT Michael Roos in the 2nd round. He started every game that year and since. In 2005, he played ROT; then he replaced Brad Hopkins at LOT in 2006.

In 2006, they took ROT David Stewart in the 4th round. He started 14 games that year and every game since. (Well he missed one in 2011.)

That btw pretty much sums up the entire history of the OT position in Fisher's time there.

He pretty much drafted 3 starting OTs (Runyan, Roos, and Stewart) and they all 3 panned out. Combined he spent on them a 5th, a 2nd, and a 4th respectively.

Brad Hopkins, btw, is the kind of prototype of what Saffold can be, in spite of Saffold (like everyone else on the line) struggling in 2011. About the same height and weight (Saffold's a little bigger), same kind of quick feet and great natural balance.

joeybittick

Rookie
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

Well let's look at it.

Fisher inherited Brad Hopkins. But under him they did draft Jon Runyan in 1996 (5th round). When Runyan left in 2000, they replaced him with Fred Miller.

In 2005, they took LOT Michael Roos in the 2nd round. He started every game that year and since. In 2005, he played ROT; then he replaced Brad Hopkins at LOT in 2006.

In 2006, they took ROT David Stewart in the 4th round. He started 14 games that year and every game since. (Well he missed one in 2011.)

That btw pretty much sums up the entire history of the OT position in Fisher's time there.

He pretty much drafted 3 starting OTs (Runyan, Roos, and Stewart) and they all 3 panned out. Combined he spent on them a 5th, a 2nd, and a 4th respectively.

Brad Hopkins, btw, is the kind of prototype of what Saffold can be, in spite of Saffold (like everyone else on the line) struggling in 2011. About the same height and weight (Saffold's a little bigger), same kind of quick feet and great natural balance.

Actually, Stewart was drafted the same year as Roos. Both were taken in 2005, Roos in the 2nd and Stewart in the 4th. Man, can you imagine getting your bookends in the same draft and being set at OT for the next 10 years? Pretty ideal situation if you ask me.

Which goes back to a point I wanted to make to an earlier post but just never found the time. Someone supposed that maybe Jeff Fisher had issues with the Titans' draft philosophy. They pontificated that he may not have agreed with the lack of picks up front on both lines. That maybe he did not like the early round "playmaker" philosophy.

IMO, it is pretty obvious why TEN did not take lineman early in the draft; they found their bookend OTs in 05, and common wisdom says you draft Gs and Cs later in the draft, unless of course they are a special talent, but rarely do you see Gs and Cs go any earlier than the late 1st rd, and again, only the special interior OL go in the 1st.

TEN did draft Dlineman in the first 2 rounds, as well as DBs, but they built the O-line later in the draft (again, outside of Roos). The way I see it, that is a smart philosophy. Unless there is that Orlando Pace level OT, I think you can pass on Olineman until later. I admit I have not done a ton of study on Kalil (yet, I like to wait until after the super bowl to get into the draft), but do you guys see him as that O Pace type LT? Cos if not, I personally would pass on him and go for a playmaking WR or DB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What do ppl think about LeMichael James in the 2nd round? He would normally be a 3rd round guy but his gamebreaking ability could make him worthy. A team could be kicking themselves if he has a good year and they passed on him...

bluecoconuts

Legend
joeybittick said:
but do you guys see him as that O Pace type LT? Cos if not, I personally would pass on him and go for a playmaking WR or DB.

I do, but I'll admit I'm not the best scouter in the business, and part of it might be that the dropoff between him and the next guy is enough to make him look even better.

As much as I push for Kalil, I'm actually pretty torn between him and Blackmon. I think for the value Kalil is the better choice though. I would take a trade down with the Browns over Kalil in a heartbeat though, as long as we get decent return.

joeybittick

Rookie
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:
but do you guys see him as that O Pace type LT? Cos if not, I personally would pass on him and go for a playmaking WR or DB.

I do, but I'll admit I'm not the best scouter in the business, and part of it might be that the dropoff between him and the next guy is enough to make him look even better.

As much as I push for Kalil, I'm actually pretty torn between him and Blackmon. I think for the value Kalil is the better choice though. I would take a trade down with the Browns over Kalil in a heartbeat though, as long as we get decent return.

I admit to being a Blackmon "guy", but the comparisons to Calvin Johnson disturb me a little. It stinks of one of those things where one pundit said it, and then all of the "experts" grabbed ahold of the quote and will not let it die. Blackmon is good, but he is not Megatron. Even if for the simple fact that he does not have CJ's size. It just worries me cos it is going to create unreal expectations that the PD people will then use to kill him in week 2 if he drops a ball....

joeybittick

Rookie
joeybittick said:
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:

I admit to being a Blackmon "guy", but the comparisons to Calvin Johnson disturb me a little. It stinks of one of those things where one pundit said it, and then all of the "experts" grabbed ahold of the quote and will not let it die. Blackmon is good, but he is not Megatron. Even if for the simple fact that he does not have CJ's size. It just worries me cos it is going to create unreal expectations that the PD people will then use to kill him in week 2 if he drops a ball....

P.S. The same goes for Kalil. If he does not set the world on fire year 1 there will be a lot of annoying bitching and whining going on.

bluecoconuts

Legend
joeybittick said:
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:

I wouldn't compare him to Calvin Johnson at all. Dez Bryant? Yeah, I think he's a Dez Bryant guy without the pissy attitude. I would love for a Dez Bryant without the pissy attitude on the Rams.

I love Blackmon, personally it comes down to who is rated higher (Kalil) at the time we draft.. Now if we trade down to the Browns and Kalil goes to the Vikings (most likely) we can draft Blackmon and I'll be jumping for joy. But if I'm in the war room, and Kalil and Blackmon are both on the board, I go with who is rated higher. Right now for me that is Kalil, but of course things can change.

Either way, I'm happy with either pick.

joeybittick

Rookie
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:

I wouldn't compare him to Calvin Johnson at all. Dez Bryant? Yeah, I think he's a Dez Bryant guy without the pissy attitude. I would love for a Dez Bryant without the pissy attitude on the Rams.

I love Blackmon, personally it comes down to who is rated higher (Kalil) at the time we draft.. Now if we trade down to the Browns and Kalil goes to the Vikings (most likely) we can draft Blackmon and I'll be jumping for joy. But if I'm in the war room, and Kalil and Blackmon are both on the board, I go with who is rated higher. Right now for me that is Kalil, but of course things can change.

Either way, I'm happy with either pick.

As much as I want that stud #1 WR, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Pick the best guy and leave it at that.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
What do ppl think about LeMichael James in the 2nd round? He would normally be a 3rd round guy but his gamebreaking ability could make him worthy. A team could be kicking themselves if he has a good year and they passed on him...

Well looking at where we pick in the 2nd round we might have a shot at other RBs like Lamar Miller and Chris Polk. IMO they are the next best RBs available after Trent Richardson. Size is definitely the big concern with James, id like to think that he could be available in the 3rd round, but ill never forget hoping Dexter McCluster would fall to us in the 3rd but the Chiefs took him in the 2nd.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
I'm a big fan of James, but not that high in the 2nd. He is lightening quick, fast, and he is a surprisingly tough inside the tackles.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:

Well looking at where we pick in the 2nd round we might have a shot at other RBs like Lamar Miller and Chris Polk. IMO they are the next best RBs available after Trent Richardson. Size is definitely the big concern with James, id like to think that he could be available in the 3rd round, but ill never forget hoping Dexter McCluster would fall to us in the 3rd but the Chiefs took him in the 2nd.
I would rate him higher than McCluster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
joeybittick said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

Well let's look at it.

Actually, Stewart was drafted the same year as Roos. Both were taken in 2005, Roos in the 2nd and Stewart in the 4th. Man, can you imagine getting your bookends in the same draft and being set at OT for the next 10 years? Pretty ideal situation if you ask me.

Which goes back to a point I wanted to make to an earlier post but just never found the time. Someone supposed that maybe Jeff Fisher had issues with the Titans' draft philosophy. They pontificated that he may not have agreed with the lack of picks up front on both lines. That maybe he did not like the early round "playmaker" philosophy.

IMO, it is pretty obvious why TEN did not take lineman early in the draft; they found their bookend OTs in 05, and common wisdom says you draft Gs and Cs later in the draft, unless of course they are a special talent, but rarely do you see Gs and Cs go any earlier than the late 1st rd, and again, only the special interior OL go in the 1st.

TEN did draft Dlineman in the first 2 rounds, as well as DBs, but they built the O-line later in the draft (again, outside of Roos). The way I see it, that is a smart philosophy. Unless there is that Orlando Pace level OT, I think you can pass on Olineman until later. I admit I have not done a ton of study on Kalil (yet, I like to wait until after the super bowl to get into the draft), but do you guys see him as that O Pace type LT? Cos if not, I personally would pass on him and go for a playmaking WR or DB.

Exactly.

I agree IF you can afford to do that, if you can't, then your offense will be a total mess until they develop.

I already told you what I think of him, and he IS heads and shoulders above the other OT prospects in this draft, no pun intended.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:

James is too light (isn't even 200 lbs) and has had injury problems. I love his ability to hit the hole and break a long run and his pass-catching skills, but when you're a small back who has had injury problems and a fairly heavy workload, you're not going to be drafted very high, no matter how good you were at the college level. I'd take him in the fourth; I think that he'll be there if the 2011 draft year wasn't a fluke. Rodgers was a fifth round pick (Atlanta), and Locke and Devine weren't even drafted.

Chris Polk (Washington) or Lamar Miller (Miami) in the second round seem like much better alternatives, in my opinion. Both of them are every down running backs who have shown that they can handle a full workload without wearing down or getting injured. Those two, plus Trent Richardson (one of the few running backs that would be worth a top five pick in this day and age) and maybe David Wilson (Virginia Tech) are the only guys in this draft who I think have every down potential.

joeybittick

Rookie
DR RAM said:
joeybittick said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

Well let's look at it.

Exactly.

I agree IF you can afford to do that, if you can't, then your offense will be a total mess until they develop.

I already told you what I think of him, and he IS heads and shoulders above the other OT prospects in this draft, no pun intended.

Well, as I said I need to do my own research, but you guys are starting to sway me :tooth:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not saying to draft him, per se. I want the Rams to trade down more than anything.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Not saying to draft him, per se. I want the Rams to trade down more than anything.

I love the sound of that. Trade down, pick up a second round pick, take Martin, Sanu, and Ta'amu. There's your left tackle of the future, offensive weapon, and stud defensive tackle to help with the run defense.

:cheese:

Anonymous

I think Saffold and Brown are both recoverable, depending on who coaches the Rams. Both played better before. Saffold had technique isses and mirrored the entire OL's struggles executing the new offense. Brown reported out of shape. Dahl is obviously a keeper. You figure they must have one more player in the mix of remainders, including maybe someone like Mattison or Hughes or maybe both.

Smith? Concussions. That's bad news. So I don't count on him.

So I don't think they need a LOT. In fact I doubt Saffold is a the type to thrive at ROT in the NFL--he's a left OT.

And you don't deliberately spend a high pick on a right OT.

That line started the season out completely out of sync and struggling. That was the issue more than talent. After a bit of course the issue became injuries. Given that it is fixable. It doesn't need a major overhaul and my bet is it doesn't need a high pick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
I'm a big fan of James, but not that high in the 2nd. He is lightening quick, fast, and he is a surprisingly tough inside the tackles.

What if he has an insane combine, runs a 4.2 40? I'm becoming a huge James fan. He's just so awesome w/ his speed. He could double as WR and give Sam another weapon.

Everyone is gonna read this from me for the next few months, that I think "reach" "value" adjedtives are nothing more than Kiper driven jargon.

"This team was insane to pass this guy!"

"I can't believe this guy was available in the 3rd round and passed over twice!"

Blah, blah, and blah.