Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
What do ppl think about LeMichael James in the 2nd round? He would normally be a 3rd round guy but his gamebreaking ability could make him worthy. A team could be kicking themselves if he has a good year and they passed on him...
I'm a big fan of James, but not that high in the 2nd. He is lightening quick, fast, and he is a surprisingly tough inside the tackles.

What if he has an insane combine, runs a 4.2 40? I'm becoming a huge James fan. He's just so awesome w/ his speed. He could double as WR and give Sam another weapon.

Everyone is gonna read this from me for the next few months, that I think "reach" "value" adjedtives are nothing more than Kiper driven jargon.

"This team was insane to pass this guy!"

"I can't believe this guy was available in the 3rd round and passed over twice!"

Blah, blah, and blah.
I totally understand what you are saying and I agree to some extent. Let me put it this way. I think there will be better players available for the Rams at that pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
I think Saffold and Brown are both recoverable, depending on who coaches the Rams. Both played better before. Saffold had technique isses and mirrored the entire OL's struggles executing the new offense. Brown reported out of shape. Dahl is obviously a keeper. You figure they must have one more player in the mix of remainders, including maybe someone like Mattison or Hughes or maybe both.

Smith? Concussions. That's bad news. So I don't count on him.

So I don't think they need a LOT. In fact I doubt Saffold is a the type to thrive at ROT in the NFL--he's a left OT.

And you don't deliberately spend a high pick on a right OT.

That line started the season out completely out of sync and struggling. That was the issue more than talent. After a bit of course the issue became injuries. Given that it is fixable. It doesn't need a major overhaul and my bet is it doesn't need a high pick.
Saffold can play somewhere, and I think he'd be fine at RT...he was drafted as a RT BTW. Brown is another story, but he may get another chance by the new coaching staff. Brown was better than Wragge at Center, but IMO, he couldn't change his tells before his snaps when QB is under Center. He absolutely stunk at Guard, I did my homework here.

Bell's a free agent who may also get another chance, who wouldn't have with the prior staff...I don't think he would have came back based on the way they treated him when he got injured. He said he would be able to play gain, and the Rams unexpecetdly IR'd him.

3 new players on your line is a major overhaul any way you slice it.

I hope more than anybody here that the new coaches can fix the line before the draft...

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
zn said:
I think Saffold and Brown are both recoverable, depending on who coaches the Rams. Both played better before. Saffold had technique isses and mirrored the entire OL's struggles executing the new offense. Brown reported out of shape. Dahl is obviously a keeper. You figure they must have one more player in the mix of remainders, including maybe someone like Mattison or Hughes or maybe both.

So I don't think they need a LOT. In fact I doubt Saffold is a the type to thrive at ROT in the NFL--he's a left OT.

That line started the season out completely out of sync and struggling. That was the issue more than talent. After a bit of course the issue became injuries. Given that it is fixable. It doesn't need a major overhaul and my bet is it doesn't need a high pick.
Saffold can play somewhere, and I think he'd be fine at RT...he was drafted as a RT BTW. Brown is another story, but he may get another chance by the new coaching staff. Brown was better than Wragge at Center, but IMO, he couldn't change his tells before his snaps when QB is under Center. He absolutely stunk at Guard, I did my homework here.

Bell's a free agent who may also get another chance, who wouldn't have with the prior staff...I don't think he would have came back based on the way they treated him when he got injured. He said he would be able to play gain, and the Rams unexpecetdly IR'd him.

I hope more than anybody here that the new coaches can fix the line before the draft...

I think they will keep 3 (at least), not add 3.

Gentleman's bet?

smileys-gambling-377633.gif

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Couple random thoughts from the BCS title game.

CB Morris Claiborne - no thanks, looked like a quitter to me, made almost NO plays throughout the game. A player of his caliber needs to step up in these type of games. No impact on the return game. Out od position a few passing plays that I saw. On Richardson's TD run, Claiborne was the player with the best chance to make a play, but never even got close to Richardson. Earlier in the game, he had a chance to make a backside tackle, but didn't hustle. IMO, he is not a top 10 player.

CB Dre Kirkpatrick - based on this game only, I would pick him over Claiborne, now i know that you can't do that, but I'm just saying. He was all over the field, in coverage, blitzing, special teams. He showed a lot of speed on the field, at times looked like the fastest player, which is saying a lot in this game.

RB Trent Richardson - looks to have elite quickness and speed. Can bounce and get to the corner in a hiccup and then outrun corners and safeties who have elite speed. I saw him miss one blitz pickup, got a piece of him and he did have pressure that held him to his side, but saw him make other pickups and is a very willing and capable blocker. Very low center of gravity and extremely powerful base. Didn't think that he worked very hard to get open or get his QB's attention, although he can catch the ball. Will be immediate starter and be successful in the NFL.

OG Josh Wilford - The LSU sophomore Guard really flashed then had my attention. Remember this name, he will be a good player in the future.

LB Donta Hightower - high motor, made a lot of spectacular plays, played all over the field.

Any adds? Not a complete scouting, just players that got my attention, good and bad.

Have you looked at Reiff yet?

If the trade down happens he could be the pick.

Not Kalil, but would pick him over Martin.
I looked at him briefly and was VERY disappointed with his play in the bowl game. I saw enough to where I didn't want to see him anymore. I would pass on him. My prediction is that he will fall.

Here is how I evaluate them.

Kalil heads and shoulders above the other two. That's a given.

My matrix is comparing them to Saffold and Smith to see if a improvement can be made.

Both are better coming out than Saffold and Martin might be equal to Saffold now. Both are way better than Smith now. Kalil is light years ahead of all of them.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Is it just me or do we currently have a "soft" offensive line and have prior seasons except for Harvey Dahl this past one? I believe Saffold has the body to bulk up into one fierce mofo at LT. Jason Brown needs to get his ass in shape, he has only shown glimpses of what was done w/ the Ravens (G to C move was coach decision-Loney, who knows)... so why not shore up the RT spot w/ that promising kid from FSU-Zebrie Sanders. I'm on my own island here I don't see Kalil being the choice at all esp since RGEIII will drop it like its hot... we will take a playmaker on offense whether it be WR, or RB... the wildcard may very well end up being Claibourne and fellas he is not Tye Hill Version 2 :ww:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
What do ppl think about LeMichael James in the 2nd round? He would normally be a 3rd round guy but his gamebreaking ability could make him worthy. A team could be kicking themselves if he has a good year and they passed on him...
I'm a big fan of James, but not that high in the 2nd. He is lightening quick, fast, and he is a surprisingly tough inside the tackles.

What if he has an insane combine, runs a 4.2 40? I'm becoming a huge James fan. He's just so awesome w/ his speed. He could double as WR and give Sam another weapon.

Everyone is gonna read this from me for the next few months, that I think "reach" "value" adjedtives are nothing more than Kiper driven jargon.

"This team was insane to pass this guy!"

"I can't believe this guy was available in the 3rd round and passed over twice!"

Blah, blah, and blah.
I totally understand what you are saying and I agree to some extent. Let me put it this way. I think there will be better players available for the Rams at that pick.

Yeah especially w/ the 1st 2nd round pick there's sure to be some 1st round guys that "fall." I really hope James goes into the 3rd, and hope Indy doesn't take him. Ha.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
BatteringRambo said:
Is it just me or do we currently have a "soft" offensive line and have prior seasons except for Harvey Dahl this past one? I believe Saffold has the body to bulk up into one fierce mofo at LT. Jason Brown needs to get his ass in shape, he has only shown glimpses of what was done w/ the Ravens (G to C move was coach decision-Loney, who knows)... so why not shore up the RT spot w/ that promising kid from FSU-Zebrie Sanders. I'm on my own island here I don't see Kalil being the choice at all esp since RGEIII will drop it like its hot... we will take a playmaker on offense whether it be WR, or RB... the wildcard may very well end up being Claibourne and fellas he is not Tye Hill Version 2 :ww:

Well he played C his last year in Baltimore. The Ravens ended up signing Matt Birk to replace him. I cannot figure out what the hell happened to him. He has regressed each season here.

I really like our chances of trading down. Recently, Ryan Tannehill suffered an injury (broken foot) and he will miss the Senior Bowl and possibly the Combine. After Barkley decided to return to school his value immediately went up, but that injury could change things. You have RG III and Luck at the top, and then theres a big dropoff. This could make teams even more desperate for RG III because I think Tannehill is a guy that had a chance to go in the 1st round. Washington, Seattle, or SF looked like a good fit.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
joeybittick said:
joeybittick said:
bluecoconuts said:
joeybittick said:
but do you guys see him as that O Pace type LT? Cos if not, I personally would pass on him and go for a playmaking WR or DB.

I do, but I'll admit I'm not the best scouter in the business, and part of it might be that the dropoff between him and the next guy is enough to make him look even better.

As much as I push for Kalil, I'm actually pretty torn between him and Blackmon. I think for the value Kalil is the better choice though. I would take a trade down with the Browns over Kalil in a heartbeat though, as long as we get decent return.

I admit to being a Blackmon "guy", but the comparisons to Calvin Johnson disturb me a little. It stinks of one of those things where one pundit said it, and then all of the "experts" grabbed ahold of the quote and will not let it die. Blackmon is good, but he is not Megatron. Even if for the simple fact that he does not have CJ's size. It just worries me cos it is going to create unreal expectations that the PD people will then use to kill him in week 2 if he drops a ball....

P.S. The same goes for Kalil. If he does not set the world on fire year 1 there will be a lot of annoying bitching and whining going on.
Remember the bitching and moaning about Quinn not playing in the first game? Even by the end of the year, after he blocked those kicks and looked unblockable at times, they were still saying he's a bust. There is literally no patience with those people. Heck, I remember how everyone was calling Chris Long a bust. Some of those same stubborn people say that he "wasn't worth the 2nd pick". Good god, there's no pleasing them.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
The same goes for Kalil. If he does not set the world on fire year 1 there will be a lot of annoying bitching and whining going on.

And rightly so. :cool:

What's the point of taking a lineman that high if he can't play in year one.

Those who paid attention knew Quinn was a project.

But linemen not ready to start year one? You can find those easily enough in lower rounds. You don't need the 2nd pick for that.

Meanwhile the irony is that people are talking about Kalil in the first place because they gave up on Saffold.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Meanwhile the irony is that people are talking about Kalil in the first place because they gave up on Saffold.
I don't know about "other people", but there is a very real concern that J. Smith could be out of football if he suffers one or two more concussions. If he's not been advised to quit already. It's unfortunate, but he's now a liability with that concussion history. As far as Saffold goes, he could pan out to be the LT of the future, or the Rams could slide him to RT and Kalil could be a mainstay at LT. I know Saffold is a LT, and that he was drafted to be a RT, so that's something that would have to be worked out in camp I suppose. Anyway, that move would ensure that we wouldn't necessarily take a step back as far as the anchors are concerned. The other possibility is that Saffold turns out to be a fine LT, and the Rams go out and find themselves a RT - which, of course, is infinitely easier.

So the question remains. Is Saffold the LT of the future? I dunno. Does anyone know for sure?

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
I don't know about "other people", but there is a very real concern that J. Smith could be out of football if he suffers one or two more concussions. If he's not been advised to quit already. It's unfortunate, but he's now a liability with that concussion history. As far as Saffold goes, he could pan out to be the LT of the future, or the Rams could slide him to RT and Kalil could be a mainstay at LT. I know Saffold is a LT, and that he was drafted to be a RT, so that's something that would have to be worked out in camp I suppose. Anyway, that move would ensure that we wouldn't necessarily take a step back as far as the anchors are concerned. The other possibility is that Saffold turns out to be a fine LT, and the Rams go out and find themselves a RT - which, of course, is infinitely easier.

So the question remains. Is Saffold the LT of the future? I dunno. Does anyone know for sure?

I do! I do! I know for sure!

Saffold is going to be a good LOT.

Or I think he will. Anyway, that's my best guess. It's, you know, IMO. Just sayin. That's my bet.

Anyway I am honestly not sure Kalil is the way to go.

bluecoconuts

Legend
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

Or I think he will. Anyway, that's my best guess. It's, you know, IMO. Just sayin. That's my bet.

It's good to have two tackles who can play eother side, given the new trend of having two strong rushing DE's on either side.

At this time we have a need at T. Why? Because Jason Smith is a liability because of his injury. Drafting Kalil is something that we would do to replace Smith. Now if he plays better, which he probably would because he is better, than Saffold, then they switch sides in camp. Just like what happened with Smith and Saffold in the first place.

A new tackle is a need though. If the BPA is at a position of need, then you're stupid to pass on that. I love Blackmon, Richardson; etc and would love to draft them if they were the BPA. But if we draft at 2, then Kalil would be the BPA, no doubt about that.

You can't deny that we need a new T.
You can't deny that Kalil is the top T in the draft.

Now we can either fix it in FA, or fix it in the draft. If we fix it in the draft then it should be Kalil.

I know we also have a need at WR as well, and I say the same thing. Fix in FA or draft.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

It's good to have two tackles who can play eother side, given the new trend of having two strong rushing DE's on either side.

At this time we have a need at T. Why? Because Jason Smith is a liability because of his injury. Drafting Kalil is something that we would do to replace Smith. Now if he plays better, which he probably would because he is better, than Saffold, then they switch sides in camp. Just like what happened with Smith and Saffold in the first place.

A new tackle is a need though. If the BPA is at a position of need, then you're stupid to pass on that. I love Blackmon, Richardson; etc and would love to draft them if they were the BPA. But if we draft at 2, then Kalil would be the BPA, no doubt about that.

Now we can either fix it in FA, or fix it in the draft. If we fix it in the draft then it should be Kalil.

I know we also have a need at WR as well, and I say the same thing. Fix in FA or draft.

In all honesty I think that Saffold is the guy on the left and that right tackles aren't that hard to come by.

I am going to make sure the next coach KNOWS all that, too.

I will start a campaign.

First you find out where they live.......

bluecoconuts

Legend
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

In all honesty I think that Saffold is the guy on the left and that right tackles aren't that hard to come by.

I will start a campaign.

Well I'm sure the coaches will do their research. However Saffold did not play well last year. And if you can get a franchise LT you take him. Kalil is miles about Saffold, even at this point. My civic runs great too, but if someone were to offer me a brand new pick up truck, I'd still take it.

If we hang onto the pick, I don't see how we grab anyone but Kalil. If we trade down, then yeah, we will see who is there.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:

I will start a campaign.

Well I'm sure the coaches will do their research. However Saffold did not play well last year. And if you can get a franchise LT you take him. Kalil is miles about Saffold, even at this point. My civic runs great too, but if someone were to offer me a brand new pick up truck, I'd still take it.

If we hang onto the pick, I don't see how we grab anyone but Kalil. If we trade down, then yeah, we will see who is there.

Of course he didn't, and people have different evaluations of that. My own begins with noticing no one on the OL played well last year. (Then, it got injured. Not counting the injured part.) What I saw with Saffold was typical of the offense in general in the first games. Timing was off. They were out of sync. They had trouble executing protections. Venturi even commented on that part--the protections. He stated at first he thought that they didn't know the protections in the new offense but then he realized they had the book knowledge, but had trouble executing a complex new offense in real time, without sufficient reps to prep them at the physical, "2nd nature" level. In fact the entire offense looked like that. Saffold also had technique problems with bull rushers, to the point where ARZ even put Calais Campbell on him in 4 DL sets, which is strange, cause CC is no pass rushing RDE. I just figure they had seen his issues with power guys on film and deliberately put a power guy on him. The best take I have seen on that explains that it is a technique thing--he has to attack the guy and get up on him, and that his problems come when power guys catch him going backwards. All of that combined to make him clearly and openly unconfident, which led to all the mistakes and penalties.

He didn't stop being the quick-footed guy with natural knee bend and natural balance he was in 2010. He was just overwhelmed in a new offense and stressed and mistake-prone as a result.

Since that was true of absolutely everyone, then, I attribute it much more to the situation. Learning a new offense, without an off-season, under a coordinator who rushed ahead of them and never slowed down to shore up execution.

I see in Saffold the potential to be a Matt Light/Chad Clifton kind of good career LOT. It would be a shame to waste a high pick on another LOT if that's true.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:

Gentleman's bet?

We will have at least 4 new offensive lineman on the team next year. I already said that Brown could get another look. Bell could sign another contract. Saffold and Dahl are the only locks, and I'm not even sure where they will play.

We could have bet last year on whether Goldberg, C. Dahl, J. King, B. Bajema, and J. Butler were on the opening roster. We could have bet that I thought J. Smith shouldn't have been the opening starter at RT. I would have lost those bets, but everyone lost because I lost those bets.

So, I don't think that I will bet, because it could be another lose, lose situation.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:

Gentleman's bet?

We will have at least 4 new offensive lineman on the team next year. I already said that Brown could get another look. Bell could sign another contract. Saffold and Dahl are the only locks, and I'm not even sure where they will play.

We could have bet last year on whether Goldberg, C. Dahl, J. King, B. Bajema, and J. Butler were on the opening roster. We could have bet that I thought J. Smith shouldn't have been the opening starter at RT. I would have lost those bets, but everyone lost because I lost those bets.

So, I don't think that I will bet, because it could be another lose, lose situation.

Not talking about on the team.

Starters.

I say 3 returning starters from the week 1 2011 unit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
zn said:
Of course he didn't, and people have different evaluations of that. My own begins with noticing no one on the OL played well last year. (Then, it got injured. Not counting the injured part.) What I saw with Saffold was typical of the offense in general in the first games. Timing was off. They were out of sync. They had trouble executing protections. Venturi even commented on that part--the protections. He stated at first he thought that they didn't know the protections in the new offense but then he realized they had the book knowledge, but had trouble executing a complex new offense in real time, without sufficient reps to prep them at the physical, "2nd nature" level. In fact the entire offense looked like that. Saffold also had technique problems with bull rushers, to the point where ARZ even put Calais Campbell on him in 4 DL sets, which is strange, cause CC is no pass rushing RDE. I just figure they had seen his issues with power guys on film and deliberately put a power guy on him. The best take I have seen on that explains that it is a technique thing--he has to attack the guy and get up on him, and that his problems come when power guys catch him going backwards. All of that combined to make him clearly and openly unconfident, which led to all the mistakes and penalties.

He didn't stop being the quick-footed guy with natural knee bend and natural balance he was in 2010. He was just overwhelmed in a new offense and stressed and mistake-prone as a result.

Since that was true of absolutely everyone, then, I attribute it much more to the situation. Learning a new offense, without an off-season, under a coordinator who rushed ahead of them and never slowed down to shore up execution.

I see in Saffold the potential to be a Matt Light/Chad Clifton kind of good career LOT. It would be a shame to waste a high pick on another LOT if that's true.

While I get what you're saying, I just have to mention that Campbell is, in fact, a pass-rusher, despite the fact that he plays in a 3-4. He led the Cardinals in sacks for the second year in a row (eight sacks this year), which is really impressive for a 3-4 end. I also have to mention that Harvey Dahl had an absolutely amazing year, especially considering that he was moved to right tackle (an unfamiliar position) in the middle of the year. Aside from him and Saffold, however, I wouldn't guarantee anyone on that O-line a job on the Rams next year. The O-line as a whole was dreadful, and it was much more than not being on the same page; there were many times where they were just overwhelmed - either physically or in the technique department - in both passing and rushing downs.

I'm not giving up on Saffold at all. Moving him to right tackle isn't the same as giving up on him; as a matter of fact, I really do think that he could help fix our woes on the right side (remember that we face guys like Clemons, Acho, and Brooks at least six times a year, and they all line up against the right tackle).

As for drafting O-linemen late? I can see that for guards and centers (unless they're as talented as Hutchinson or Mangold), but not so much for tackles. In today's NFL, it's almost a necessity for a team to draft tackles high. Look at Green Bay and San Francisco; both of those teams drafted two offensive tackles in the first round (Bulaga and Sherrod with the Packers and Staley and Davis with the 49ers). In San Francisco's case, they also drafted a guard with a first round pick (Iupati). The Jermon Bushrods of the world are rare, and I don't want to count on a late draft pick to fix such a critical issue.

Just my opinion.

Anonymous

Memento said:
zn said:

While I get what you're saying, I just have to mention that Campbell is, in fact, a pass-rusher, despite the fact that he plays in a 3-4. He led the Cardinals in sacks for the second year in a row (eight sacks this year), which is really impressive for a 3-4 end. I also have to mention that Harvey Dahl had an absolutely amazing year, especially considering that he was moved to right tackle (an unfamiliar position) in the middle of the year. Aside from him and Saffold, however, I wouldn't guarantee anyone on that O-line a job on the Rams next year. The O-line as a whole was dreadful, and it was much more than not being on the same page; there were many times where they were just overwhelmed - either physically or in the technique department - in both passing and rushing downs.

I'm not giving up on Saffold at all. Moving him to right tackle isn't the same as giving up on him; as a matter of fact, I really do think that he could help fix our woes on the right side (remember that we face guys like Clemons, Acho, and Brooks at least six times a year, and they all line up against the right tackle).

As for drafting O-linemen late? I can see that for guards and centers (unless they're as talented as Hutchinson or Mangold), but not so much for tackles. In today's NFL, it's almost a necessity for a team to draft tackles high. Look at Green Bay and San Francisco; both of those teams drafted two offensive tackles in the first round (Bulaga and Sherrod with the Packers and Staley and Davis with the 49ers). In San Francisco's case, they also drafted a guard with a first round pick (Iupati). The Jermon Bushrods of the world are rare, and I don't want to count on a late draft pick to fix such a critical issue.

Just my opinion.

I should be clear.

I think that Saffold can be put back together and that it would be a mistake to move him to ROT and draft another LOT high.