Raiders, C Stefen Wisniewski disagree on his value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Raiders, C Stefen Wisniewski disagree on his value
by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

(2:02 pm ET)Raiders center Stefen Wisniewski is set to hit free agency after he and the team were unable to agree on a contract extension during the season, reports ESPN.com. Wisniewski has missed only three starts in his first four years.
Wisniewski, who made $938,000 in base salary last year, likely is looking for $3 million or more annually, the report said.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/25017508/offseason-extra-free-agents-in-2015

I would love to have Wisniewski in a Rams uni next year. Is he worth $3M per?

fearsomefour

Legend
I think he will make $5M a year before he is done in FA. The Raiders have over $55M in cap space (if memory serves) and a situation with not many long term commitments....so Wiz really loses nothing by putting them off. He knows THEY can offer more than $3M a year, so, see if someone else will offer $5M and get $6M from Oakland.
He is a very solid C who is healthy and young, he is in the power position for the first and maybe only time in his career. It is gonna take a good offer to sign him.

Rainram

Starter
$^%&, Wells was stealing over $4M from our coffers. 3 Million seems almost low IMO...I wonder if the report got that wrong...as in maybe 'he's looking for $3 Million per year more than what they offered.'...??? Here's a quick link to current NFL Center Salaries...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/center/

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He's a pretty good C I'd pay him 3 Mill a year.

Here's Scott Wells contract info...

3/16/2012: Singed a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed -- a $4 million signing bonus and all of Wells' 2012-2013 base salaries. Another $1.5 million is available through escalators. 2014: $1 million (+ $1.65 million roster bonus + $850,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $2 million (+ $1 million roster bonus + $1 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/2940/scott-wells

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams paid Scott Wells $4.4 mil last season :eek:So I would imagine that Stefen Wisniewski is worth more than 3 mil a year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Saffold is a former Raider. Let's exploit that friendship to get him in here!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think he will make $5M a year before he is done in FA. The Raiders have over $55M in cap space (if memory serves) and a situation with not many long term commitments....so Wiz really loses nothing by putting them off. He knows THEY can offer more than $3M a year, so, see if someone else will offer $5M and get $6M from Oakland.
He is a very solid C who is healthy and young, he is in the power position for the first and maybe only time in his career. It is gonna take a good offer to sign him.

They have the cap room, but Davis pockets that money.

iced

but the bargaining chip for him becomes money vs success

I can see him easily being like jordan cameron and wanting money but also to get away from a dysfunctional organization

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I would love to have Wisniewski in a Rams uni next year. Is he worth $3M per?

Depends who you believe . . . a major scouting service says he makes too many mistakes and needs to work on his craft. he was a bit better in 2013 than 2014. If the best "color" is blue, the next "red" and the next "purple" and the next "orange" then "green" . Meaning a player like JJ Watt is a high blue . . .and say someone like Davin Joseph is a low orange or green . . . my info is that Wisniewski was a low red in 2013 and a high purple in 2014. Not everyone's pro scouting will agree, but from that it suggests he's not worth $3 mil if he does not smarten up his game.

iced

Depends who you believe . . . a major scouting service says he makes too many mistakes and needs to work on his craft. he was a bit better in 2013 than 2014. If the best "color" is blue, the next "red" and the next "purple" and the next "orange" then "green" . Meaning a player like JJ Watt is a high blue . . .and say someone like Davin Joseph is a low orange or green . . . my info is that Wisniewski was a low red in 2013 and a high purple in 2014. Not everyone's pro scouting will agree, but from that it suggests he's not worth $3 mil if he does not smarten up his game.

so in a sense, you could say the Raiders and Browns are color blind

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
$^%&, Wells was stealing over $4M from our coffers. 3 Million seems almost low IMO...I wonder if the report got that wrong...as in maybe 'he's looking for $3 Million per year more than what they offered.'...??? Here's a quick link to current NFL Center Salaries...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/center/

That view is a little misleading as it represents cap hit (includes bonus money for a given season).

Here is a view looking at average salary (bonus spread across length of contract plus contract salaries):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/center/

Athos

Legend
Wells was just a bad signing and Green Bay letting him go should have been a sign. He was ready for a steep decline.

Anyway, as we saw this year and many times last season, a quality, competent C makes the offensive line. If you have a shitty or below average one, your O is going to stall more often than not.

I'd pay him what he wants and send Wells and Longs ass home.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Wells was just a bad signing and Green Bay letting him go should have been a sign. He was ready for a steep decline.

Anyway, as we saw this year and many times last season, a quality, competent C makes the offensive line. If you have a crappy or below average one, your O is going to stall more often than not.

I'd pay him what he wants and send Wells and Longs ass home.
See, this is what worries me. At the time, Wells looked as good as Wisniewski does now.

Athos

Legend
See, this is what worries me. At the time, Wells looked as good as Wisniewski does now.

Meh. GB has great talent evaluators. If they thought Wells was shot, which they pretty much admitted by not retaining him.....they knew he was in for some shitty FB.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Meh. GB has great talent evaluators. If they thought Wells was shot, which they pretty much admitted by not retaining him.....they knew he was in for some crappy FB.
I'm not quite sure I buy that theory... they let Timmerman go and he was great for us for a few years.

FA signing didn't work out. It happens. Unfortunately, it seems to happen to the Rams a lot at center... :(

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a pretty big age difference, no?

And didn't Wells have an injury history (not extensove, but Wiz seems much more durable).

At $3 mil? I'd jump all over that!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
There's a pretty big age difference, no?

And didn't Wells have an injury history (not extensove, but Wiz seems much more durable).

At $3 mil? I'd jump all over that!
Wells was 31 when he started playing here, Wiz will be 26... so pretty significant, but it's not like centers have that RB dropoff at 30.