Raiders, C Stefen Wisniewski disagree on his value

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
They have the cap room, but Davis pockets that money.
That might be true.
That is yet to be determined in my opinion. When Mark Davis took over he was determined to change paths a bit. They Raiders were in cap hell (and not winning). He decided to "sacrifice" the next couple of years to get their cap in order and build through the draft and not just try to do what Al was doing and bring in over priced FA. It would not surprise me to see Oakland overpay for a couple of big FA names from in division rivals (Denver) like D. Thomas and then look for value in the rest of FA.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wells was 31 when he started playing here, Wiz will be 26... so pretty significant, but it's not like centers have that RB dropoff at 30.
Agree... but given a choice between a 31 year old wrth some injury history and a 26 year old with little injury history, I'll go for the latter. ;)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I have my doubts about whether or not we'll be signing any legitimate free agents this offseason with the black cloud hanging over head, but I'd be very pleased with Wisniewski.

Wells is running on empty.

fearsomefour

Legend
but the bargaining chip for him becomes money vs success

I can see him easily being like jordan cameron and wanting money but also to get away from a dysfunctional organization
Could be, but, that is hard to tell.
Different guys care about different things. I am sure his agent is in his ear that this may be his only shot at signing a deal where he has power. It is hard to fault the highest bidder logic....as long as that translates to guarantees in the contract etc.
Would love to have him in horns, but, I don't think it is that likely. I think a $5M a year deal for him may end up being on the low end.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have my doubts about whether or not we'll be signing any legitimate free agents this offseason with the black cloud hanging over head, but I'd be very pleased with Wisniewski.

Wells is running on empty.
If you're talking about the possible relocation issue, I don't think that will have any affect at all. These are people who are used to constantly traveling anyway.

Now if you're talking about this year being the current staff's hotseat year possibly? Mmmmmmaybe.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If you're talking about the possible relocation issue, I don't think that will have any affect at all. These are people who are used to constantly traveling anyway.

Now if you're talking about this year being the current staff's hotseat year possibly? Mmmmmmaybe.

There's more to it than relocation, but young players likely wouldn't care much, but veterans settling down for a season often like to settle down here with their families according to a former Ram who's name I can't recall.

The coaching situation being up in the air is another issue, as you mentioned. Throw in potentially not wanting to be involved in the nastiness of a lame duck season and I think there's a lot to be worried about.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
There's a weird schizophrenia with the center position in the NFL. Everyone says how valuable the position is to the offense -- sometimes even going as far as saying it's the second most important position behind QB. But then there's the reality that suggests teams think they can get by on the cheap at center.

Not just that it's the lowest paid OL postion, but teams don't seem to worry about planning for it or invest heavily to make sure they have a great C. Centers are rarely first round picks and not a lot overall are even drafted. It's like they just feel one will just fall into their lap.

It's almost regarded as lowly as the FB position -- which is a decent comparison, for when a team has a great one they can make the whole offense that much better. And yet teams don't trip over themselves to make sure they have a great one.

On the contrary, Rams fans have witnessed first hand the devastating effect of having a terrible center, so why isn't it a top planning priority?

Well maybe those other teams get lucky finding centers, but I'm guessing most Rams fans that have lived under Rams Luck(TM) are not big on trusting the "one will fall in our lap" theory. So the Rams need to make their own luck and target one, but should they do it via draft or free agency?

As for draft, the Chargers, Pats, and Packers all ended up plugging in rookies -- 3rd rounder (Chris Watt), 4th rounder (Bryan Stork) and 5th rounder (Corey Linsley), respectively. So why overspend in free agency for a C? Just spend a 5th round pick, plug in the rookie in and profit. If it worked for NE or GB, how hard can learning those calls be anyway?

Besides, we also just lived with the Scott Wells saga. Rams Luck(TM) believers also assume any expensive vet free agent C will just be hurt every game again, so why bother overspending and repeating the Wells mistake?

On the other hand, the free agent option is compelling. I'm a believer that experience at the C position is valuable, and there are free agents that are known quantities of experience out there.

Also, the draft has its own degree of unknown. Why should we expect any draft pick to pan out like those other lucky teams? We already tried drafting Jones and Rhaney and Rams Luck(TM) screwed them, too. Plus we have limited draft picks that need to go to other needs. And just because Wells was a mistake, a big difference is getting a free agent on the right side of 30 this time.

I could probably be convinced either way on this, but as of now I would like to see the Rams go for it and target a free agent like Rodney Hudson. But if it breaks the bank, pass. I could be talked into thinking all will be fine with Jones, Rhaney and another draft pick competing in the preseason. After all, could it be worse than Wells? Of course I said that with offensive coordinator, too, so I'm a bit worried the "it can't be any worse" standard becomes the pattern that defines the offseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh hell naw...

NO MOAR FREE AGENTS!!!!!!! NONE! ZIP!! ZERO!!! STINGY WITH DENIRO!!!!!!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Anybody have some insight on who is the better player between Wis and Hudson from KC? They're both young and experienced, good things.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Coaching situations are always up in the air you can always guess that because of the W/L record that might be a problem. I don't see anything indicating there is that kind of issue with the Rams. Kronke is smart enough to know you don't make the playoffs in the NFL with a back up QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking he's going to have to spend up to the 90% from here on out if the team is going to compete as per the rules!
That's a good point. But that has to be researched, one of those talking head on NFL network said the min. isn't on a certain team but based on whole league since the last CBA. The league as a whole has to spend 95% of the cap.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Anybody have some insight on who is the better player between Wis and Hudson from KC? They're both young and experienced, good things.
Here's some insight: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015C.php

Other thoughts:

Wis- drafted 2011 and improved every year to the point where going into last season was regarded as among the top centers and the Raiders best OL player. But then had a down year. He's only missed a couple games in his career.

Hudson- broke his leg a few years ago and missed most of a season on IR, but played every snap for KC for the last two years. Coming into this year was regarded as average but then kind of came out of nowhere to have an elite year.

So I guess comes down to if you think 2014 was a fluke for either guy or established a new baseline of talent/performance. Wis probably the safer choice?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer they use FA to bring in an upgrade at RT to make the right side dominant. Then add a top OG in the 2nd or 3rd round, and another for depth thereafter.

Center is hard to predict right now because the Rams could well be higher on their internal options than any of us realize. Rhainey and Jones both might be competing in a 3 way competition with Barnes for the job.

That is one of the things I can't wait to see, because it's going to tell us what they're thinking in the draft. If they sign a C or OG then it means we'll probably get an OT in the first round. If they go OT it probably means BPA in the first round which I do prefer. But either way it is going to also tell us a lot of what they think of their holdovers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Love it. The Raiders with all the cap room in the league and they decide to get cheap at a tough position to fill. Fisher better have Wiz first on his list of guys to call.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That's a good point. But that has to be researched, one of those talking head on NFL network said the min. isn't on a certain team but based on whole league since the last CBA. The league as a whole has to spend 95% of the cap.
I also think there is a fine for not spending enough of your cap, but it still is far less than what he can pocket

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$3 million annually? He'll get at least $6 to $7 million on the market.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think there is a fine for not spending enough of your cap, but it still is far less than what he can pocket

That's not true from what I recall. I'm pretty sure the fine is forcing the Owner to pay up to the 95% of the cap(minimum) and then distributing that money to players.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That's not true from what I recall. I'm pretty sure the fine is forcing the Owner to pay up to the 95% of the cap(minimum) and then distributing that money to players.

National Football League[edit]
The new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) formulated in 2011 had an initial salary cap of $120 million. While the previous CBA had a salary floor, the new CBA did not have one until 2013. Starting with that season, each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation,[9] and 90% in future years. However, the floor is based on total cash spent over each of two four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020. A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required percentage of the cap.[9]

The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor; penalties for violating or circumventing the cap and floor regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap