QB’s like Daniel Jones, what do you do?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

just to add, the owners opted out of the cba back in 2008 because they thought they gave too much of a cut to the players. so when they finally agreed on an amount the players were getting 2% less than they were in the cba before the owners opted out of it.

does that look like the owners want to spend more money on players?

Hilarious his agents think he is a 40-50m QB. Maybe his agent is a Cowboy or Eagles fan. And is trying to screw over the Giants.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hilarious his agents think he is a 40-50m QB. Maybe his agent is a Cowboy or Eagles fan. And is trying to screw over the Giants.
Yeah, I was in the Daniel Jones camp until this came out. I would not pay him that amount of money, if I'm the Giants, I pivot and go in another direction. If Jones sticks with his 40-50 million request, I believe he will be playing for another team in 2023 and he won't be getting a deal close to that amount.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Report: Daniel Jones has 1 notable reason for huge contract demand​

Daniel Jones’ reported contract demands have come as a major surprise to some, but the New York Giants quarterback is apparently thinking of one particular factor in making them.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Friday’s “NFL Live” that he believes Jones’ reported $45 million annual demand is accurate. Fowler added that Jones realizes he would be unlikely to rank in the top ten highest-paid quarterbacks even on that salary after several offseason contract extensions get done elsewhere around the league.

View: https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1629156951945891845?s=61&t=8Uv0ppkfUPgbrVU1xxy_VQ

“You have a player who figures, hey, if I get 45, you got Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, all these guys are going to well surpass me. He’s barely going to be top ten in pay by the end of the summer.”

In other words, Jones is trying to get ahead of a market that does not exist yet, but inevitably will. Few would argue that Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert are not in line for $50 million annually. Jones is just anticipating that.

Based on reports, Jones probably would not get what he wants on the open market. The Giants, however, might have to pay him something close to that to keep him, so he is aiming high to open talks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Jordan Raanan is well clued-in on the Giants.

If Jourdan Rodrigue is the Rams' Jourdan, then Jordan Raanan is kind of the Giants' Jordan. Must be a thing.

Will be interested to see how a contract is structured; and, especially, the guaranteed-$ because, while Jones had a good season (and, I thought Brian Daboll did a great job in maximizing Jones' talent and the Giants' offensive talent overall), a deal that averages $40M per-year seems high to me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't understand what is being suggested here.
It may be that there are conflicting understandings on the nature and workings of the salary cap. Or not.

If the QB salaries were removed from the cap and placed into their own cap, the current minimum percentage would need to be raised to ensure net non-QBs salaries remained the same seeing as the greatest variance in salaries is due to the differential between rookie QB salaries and franchise QB salaries.

This will you help the non-QB players far more.

It would also give owners a more clear way to manipulate their spending… with teams less likely to receive relief from QB restructures, QB would be a position of paying what you want to pay. Wanna cheap out on QB and still be able to sign FAs? Ok. Wanna max out the QB position and not cripple your team? Ok. It gives owners significantly greater financial flexibility while ensuring a more consistent budget for non-QB players.

The only guys hurt by this would be guys like Jones or mid to lower tier QBs and their market isn’t going to diminish since there still aren’t 32 healthy franchise QBs at any one time.

It won’t happen because QBs like Manning are bitches when it comes to their money and they have far too much sway with owners than their finance guys do (whether that’s better or worse for the owners, I leave for others to decide)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the QB salaries were removed from the cap and placed into their own cap, the current minimum percentage would need to be raised to ensure net non-QBs salaries remained the same seeing as the greatest variance in salaries is due to the differential between rookie QB salaries and franchise QB salaries.

This will you help the non-QB players far more.

It would also give owners a more clear way to manipulate their spending… with teams less likely to receive relief from QB restructures, QB would be a position of paying what you want to pay. Wanna cheap out on QB and still be able to sign FAs? Ok. Wanna max out the QB position and not cripple your team? Ok. It gives owners significantly greater financial flexibility while ensuring a more consistent budget for non-QB players.

The only guys hurt by this would be guys like Jones or mid to lower tier QBs and their market isn’t going to diminish since there still aren’t 32 healthy franchise QBs at any one time.

It won’t happen because QBs like Manning are bitches when it comes to their money and they have far too much sway with owners than their finance guys do (whether that’s better or worse for the owners, I leave for others to decide)
Commissioner Roger Goodell to @Mackeyser

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Sunday that if a long-term deal cannot be reached by Tuesday's deadline, the Giants plan to use the franchise tag on Jones.

Under the tag, Jones would be due $32.416 million in 2023.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Sunday that if a long-term deal cannot be reached by Tuesday's deadline, the Giants plan to use the franchise tag on Jones.

Under the tag, Jones would be due $32.416 million in 2023.

The Giants got burned & now the have to pay. I’d actually say that is a SMALL price to PAY!!

If anyone wants to discuss it ? I’m game. I go back to what I think about The Rams & there QB choices.

I was always a BELIEVER in AL DAVIS making a GOOD name for himself. LMFAO - NOW THE RAMS FANS are PISSING on his SITE(SOFI). Bring it on!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When he ran out of bounds, on 2nd and short with 5 mins left on the clock in the playoff game and two scores down, for a 4 yard loss instead of throwing the ball away that was all I needed to see. That made it 3rd and 6 and naturally they didn't get it. Then they punted the ball away and never saw it again before the game was over. Let him go.
Then what do you do ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Y
I wouldn't pay big bucks for a "tier 2" QB. I'd pay big bucks for a top-tier offensive line and a top -tier defense.

Then I'd draft a mid-round QB every year. Surrounded by the right pieces, one of these QBs on a rookie deal is bound to become a stud. Rinse and repeat.

What - are you a John Lynch fan now. I am - lol-

Thank the NINER’s for drafting Tre Lance. Problem was Shanny knew they F’d up !!

He ran Lance under the ground by making him a RB. Got hurt.

Problem was Jimmy G takes over & now Purdy got Reps & is that type of a QB. Now we will see what they are going to do,but they are structurally sound.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What would the market bare for Jones if he hit FA? I'm thinking 10-15M...and if I'm the Giants, that's about where I would start the negotiations.

I guess that ends the discussions in away.

Then again there is so much that goes into it. I didn’t like The Rams signing Goff before his 5th season was over for what they paid him. —Hard call

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Daniel Jones might have been smart to ask for slightly less, on the appearance of a team friendly deal.

But, with this much cheddar… he’s going to catch a lot of heat, particularly in NY, every time he makes a bad throw. If he doesn’t play well, he will be ran out of town.

View: https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1633238771612221442?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

View: https://twitter.com/bbugiants/status/1631741039445696512?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

View: https://twitter.com/atlanticarctic/status/1633289377290899457?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Daniel Jones more then most because he's smart, he can extend plays and he can make all the throws. Plus when paired with decent offensive coaches, he's been successful. Jones IMO, is one of the most underrated runners as a QB and does a nice job protecting himself.

Now is he a top 5 QB? No, but I believe you can win in the NFL with a QB of the caliber of Jones plus give him some weapons on the outside and he'll be that much better. Again, I like him more then most and was actually hoping somehow he would end up in Horns, but after last year and paired with Brian Daboll, he's not going anywhere.
Empire State homer!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

this is why the giants will always suck.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

this is why the giants will always suck.

I disagree, Jones is big, smart and underrated with his legs, the Giants should have picked up his option IMHO. I will go on record now, Daniel Jones is better then Derek Carr and will have a better year barring injury.

The contract is what it is the Giants felt it was better with Jones then an alternative and I believe he'll be a top ten QB this coming year.

dang

Legend
Does look to only be 2 years guaranteed. He has no one to throw to do he’s set up to fail for the option years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The contract is what it is the Giants felt it was better with Jones then an alternative and I believe he'll be a top ten QB this coming year.
That is an interesting prediction.

Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Herbert
Burrow
Stafford
Cousins
Lawrence
Hurts
Goff
JONES
Watson
Tua
Wilson
Carr
Garappolo
Prescott
Murray
Geno
Mayfield
Tannehill

Does he slot in above all those? Do any above belong lower? Any below belong higher? Do any of the young QBs make a jump?

Pickett
Fields
Mac Jones
Mills

Or draftees?

Young
Stroud
Levis
Richardson

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That is an interesting prediction.

Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Herbert
Burrow
Stafford
Cousins
Lawrence
Hurts
Goff
JONES
Watson
Tua
Wilson
Carr
Garappolo
Prescott
Murray
Geno
Mayfield
Tannehill

Does he slot in above all those? Do any above belong lower? Any below belong higher? Do any of the young QBs make a jump?

Pickett
Fields
Mac Jones
Mills

Or draftees?

Young
Stroud
Levis
Richardson
Yes I believe he'll slot above Goff & Stafford (because of injury) and Cousins.