QB’s like Daniel Jones, what do you do?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Not really.

The overall cap would be lowered, but to accommodate that, the minimum cap would increase

The net effect would see the averages the same. However, if the owners wanted to pay or not pay extra under the QB cap, they could. This way, a rookie QB window ending doesn't mean shipping out mid-tier vets to pay him.

It would lower the overall cap for teams on rookie deals and raise it for those paying top tier veterans.

I don't understand what is being suggested here.
It may be that there are conflicting understandings on the nature and workings of the salary cap. Or not.

Ram65

Legend
The currently active agreement was ratified in 2020 and extends through the 2030 season, and includes changes to league revenue distribution, increases in player benefits and health and safety improvements, increases in the regular season to 17 games played, and increases in active roster and practice squad limits.

NFL collective bargaining agreement - Wikipedia

I don't see any changes to the salary cap for QBs or any other players any time soon. Players and owners are making a boatload of money that will continue to go higher and higher every year.

There are many differing opinions on Jones' future ability and value here at ROD. We NFL fans talk about it while NFL management (Giants) have to make a vital decision about the most important position on their roster. All teams have the same salary/cap spend and have to roll with how they decide to allocate their capital resources. This is what makes the NFL a great experience for everyone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think that @TSFH Fan laid out above exactly how i feel.

nfl owners, as a collective, don't want to pay a penny more than what they agree is the players cut of the revenue. more money for qbs, whichever way they structure it, will mean less money for the other players.

Wow, that's a pretty clueless take, oh well I tried.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People talk about a separate or a QB salary cap. I don't see that working at all. You have the players' portion and the owners' portion of football revenue. The cap is a reflection of the amount that the players' portion of football revenue is apportioned among the teams. The owners aren't going to give anything for a QB cap
You realize this is strictly your biased opinion right? The salary cap has nothing to do with what an individual owner is willing to pay in salary. You think an owner wouldnt go 10-20 mill over the salary cap if given the chance? Of course they would. How do i know? Look at what teams are paying their Head coach, what they paid to build a stadium, what they paid to be allowed to move from one city to another.... They'd do it all day long

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol!!!
Sign Mayfield for 10 mill and get better results
the Giants sign this clown Jones for 45 mill, they'll get every bit of what they deserve

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
You realize this is strictly your biased opinion right? The salary cap has nothing to do with what an individual owner is willing to pay in salary. You think an owner wouldnt go 10-20 mill over the salary cap if given the chance? Of course they would. How do i know? Look at what teams are paying their Head coach, what they paid to build a stadium, what they paid to be allowed to move from one city to another.... They'd do it all day long
Uh, no.
The history of the salary cap was to reel in expenses. Specifically, the owners sought to drive down the players' collective share of football revenue. The owners, jointly, pushed for the cap in the collective bargaining negotiations. Whether willing to pay more or not, the owners, jointly, agreed to self-regulate their player salary payments themselves.
The salary cap is, roughly, the players' share of football revenue divided by 32.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff showed that an upper tier two QB is worth having. This past year he elevated his play up another tier. I put him on tier one with an asterisk until he can consistently play at that level. Goff isn't losing games, their defense has been.
Let's see what he can do in the playoffs. Can he win 4 in a row vs the best defenses. Jury is still out so he hasn't shown dick yet. All he has shown is maybe he is the guy we saw in 2018. I am still in doubt about that. I suspect he is Matt Ryan part deux.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, that's a pretty clueless take, oh well I tried.

why do i bother?

it's not a clueless take, it's just my take. just like your view is your take. there's no right or wrong.

if you view things that way your posts may be less dickwadish.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Uh, no.
The history of the salary cap was to reel in expenses. Specifically, the owners sought to drive down the players' collective share of football revenue. The owners, jointly, pushed for the cap in the collective bargaining negotiations. Whether willing to pay more or not, the owners, jointly, agreed to self-regulate their player salary payments themselves.
The salary cap is, roughly, the players' share of football revenue divided by 32.
You have it backwards.
Players association collectively bargained with the NFL for a larger % of revenue which we now have. Why was a cap created? To create an equitable balance between all teams so one team didnt have a competitive advantage over other because they had deeper pockets.
Again, that has nothing to do with what individual Owners are willing to pay players. Teams spend up to the allowable cap, teams pay a shit ton of $$ to folks to manage that cap, get every single penny out of it. Because that's all they are allowed to spend.
Yes, owners like Stan would gladly spend over the cap if given the opportunity, as would Jones, heck we've seen how the Pats did it "legally" with Brady by paying him side $$ thru their fan shop

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Just look at the NBA. These owners most are billionaires they would jump at the chance to overpay above the cap of it was possible. That is what keeps the league especially small market teams competitive and it for es GMs and Scouts to really have their shit together.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just look at the NBA. These owners most are billionaires they would jump at the chance to overpay above the cap of it was possible. That is what keeps the league especially small market teams competitive and it for es GMs and Scouts to really have their shit together.
Now the questions looms, do we really like this way? It's obvious with Stan Kroenke and the market the Rams could easily spend over the cap and be even better every year. Baseball for example is really frustrating and you only have to look at the team that just won the Super Bowl.

Enjoy Kansas City Fans drain everything you can because once baseball season starts the best you can hope for is 70-92. This is why Football trumps the other sports, but it would be nice to spend whatever the Rams wanted to win.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree in part. We paid Goff at the end of year 3 we did not have to pay him or think about paying him to best case end of year 4.
Doesn’t matter when we payed him in the context of this discussion though. If we hadn’t payed him we wouldn’t have a QB worth a shit to replace him until….? That’s my point.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now the questions looms, do we really like this way? It's obvious with Stan Kroenke and the market the Rams could easily spend over the cap and be even better every year. Baseball for example is really frustrating and you only have to look at the team that just won the Super Bowl.

Enjoy Kansas City Fans drain everything you can because once baseball season starts the best you can hope for is 70-92. This is why Football trumps the other sports, but it would be nice to spend whatever the Rams wanted to win.
NFL doesnt have the "small market team" disadvantage that MLB *allegedly* has, due to the revenue sharing. Teams make their money off of their share of the insane revenue. Gate revenue drives MLB, does not in NFL
Again, Cap in NFL was designed for a competitive balance, not owners trying to save a buck

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
NFL doesnt have the "small market team" disadvantage that MLB *allegedly* has, due to the revenue sharing. Teams make their money off of their share of the insane revenue. Gate revenue drives MLB, does not in NFL
Again, Cap in NFL was designed for a competitive balance, not owners trying to save a buck
That actually started with Wellington Mara owner of the New York Giants, who felt, we are only as strong as our weakest link and Mara felt Green Bay need to be on the same playing field as the New York Giants regardless of revenue.

Mara was able to understand that way back in the day and because of that type of intestinal fortitude the NFL of all the sports gives more teams the opportunity to win the Title then any other IMHO.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
You have it backwards.
Players association collectively bargained with the NFL for a larger % of revenue which we now have. Why was a cap created? To create an equitable balance between all teams so one team didnt have a competitive advantage over other because they had deeper pockets.
Again, that has nothing to do with what individual Owners are willing to pay players. Teams spend up to the allowable cap, teams pay a shit ton of $$ to folks to manage that cap, get every single penny out of it. Because that's all they are allowed to spend.
Yes, owners like Stan would gladly spend over the cap if given the opportunity, as would Jones, heck we've seen how the Pats did it "legally" with Brady by paying him side $$ thru their fan shop

2. How did the cap come into being?

As a result of the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFL Players Assn. It became active for 1994 because teams spent at least 67% of their defined gross revenue in 1993 on player salaries. The cap limits spending to 64% of the NFL’s defined gross revenues, which come mainly from ticket sales and broadcasting rights. It is expected to increase slightly over the next four years, with revenue.

Today, the players' share is around 48% of football revenue.

Moving on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great, it has nothing to do with the discussion but cool bro...
From the article that you posted:
"The purpose is to put teams on an equal playing field for salaries. In the past, high-revenue teams could outspend others, be more active in the free-agent market and ultimately more competitive."
Yup, moving on indeed

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMHO they keep him with a reasonable contract. If not trade his ass for picks and get a younger guy Daboll can mold into his guy. With Jones they are finishing 3rd in the division, without him they are finishing 3rd in the division.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Moving on.

ah well, you tried. you can only spoon feed someone so much until you realise they're not gonna take a bite.

that guy is in a world of his own.