QB Options Moving Forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
Guys, we still won't be picking in the top 10. Forget drafting a QB...

Our plans are we will see what we have in Hill, Davis, and Gilbert.
I totally agree. Was surprised to see Davis do so well last night. The first year we signed him I know that Fisher liked what he saw in Davis, but after training camp last year I figured he was history as a Ram. Now I'm hoping he may be the future.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
As far as a backup to Hill, what would it take to get Thad Lewis out of Buffalo? I think I would feel better with another layer between Hill and Davis.

diverdown

UDFA
Realistic QB options (no team is trading us their 2nd teamer at the beginning of the season (i.e., Vick):
Mallet (NE) - has been playing horribad, could be had for 7th rounder...woo hee
Simms (NYJ) - ....ummmm
Thad Lewis (Buf) - lol
Zac Dysert (Den) - has played better than Osweiler so I doubt they let him go...still young too
Chase Daniel? (KC) - they gave him big $$, but then drafted Aaron Murray...not really sure what is going on, will they carry all 3?
Jason Campbell (Bengals) - ugh, but they do have several young QBs in camp including McCarron so they may not keep him
Grossman/Shaw (Browns) - yuck, and a rookie...neither would take us anywhere
Keenum (Texans) - may be the odd man out...I guess he has experience (not much else to say)
Barkley (Eagles) - hasn't done much
Colt McCoy (Redskins) - no
Stanton (Cards) - probably about the same as Hill
Gabbert (49ers) - errrrr....nm
Clausen (Bears) - meh
Moore or Franklin (Lions) - no improvement over Hill here
Flynn (GB) - yikes
Ponder (Minn) - eh, maybe

I guess other than maybe Chase Daniel, I don't see anyone as a better option right now than Hill. Ah, if they had only drafted one of Murray, McCarron, or Mettenberger...what might have been (going forward, not necessarily this year).

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wonder what the Saints would command for Ryan Griffin. Fisher likes him and tried to snatch him off the practice squad last year. He's looked good this preseason and is fighting for the #2 spot.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
I lean towards going forward with what we have (much like Dick Vermeil did in 1999). I think we are stuck with Bradford's cap hit for this season so I seriously doubt we have the cap space to get an experienced QB on the open market. Correct me if I am wrong regarding the cap space - I never really have figured that out.

Athos

Legend
I'd be on the phone already with Kansas City seeing what it would take to bring Chase Daniels here. He has been in the league long enough to understand the Pro Game, was the understudy to Drew Brees, and has now been in two training camps with Andy Reid. Being an admitted Mizzou homer, it would also invigorate a fan base in desperate need of a shot in the arm.

All the guy does is make plays. He's a gunslinger.

I can get on board with this. He's a super smart QB. But, I too, am a Mizzou honk.

Athos

Legend
Would you be willing to trade 2 1st round picks and more for him, though? Mariota probably goes in the top 3 picks, and I doubt we'll be that bad.

Good QBs coming in at a premium. Even decent ones. Hence the kind of deal Cincy gave Dalton. You have to either be super savvy to find your Wilson/Brady etc or just have pure dumb luck.

The Rams (with their fans) can't afford to go for dumb blind luck. Gonna need to draft a name.

Moostache

Rookie
I still believe that Jimmy Clausen could thrive with the Rams....he has looked pretty decent in the few times I have seen him with the Bears and when he was at Notre Dame throwing to Floyd and Taint he was pretty damn good and set a lot of Notre Dame records in the process. He got masacred on a 1-15 Panthers team then thrown under the bus when they took Newton in that draft. With Quick looking pretty much like an actual NFL receiver, Britt seemingly as well, the Rams have enough to make Clausen work...besides, he would probably come cheap since the Bears took the SDSU QB in the draft as their long-term developmental QB (their version of Gilbert). The one thing Clausen always had was accuracy...maybe not a huge arm, but he could put the ball on a WR and throws a very pretty (and catchable) deep ball...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ready for this guys? Are you ready for this?
1xng5_zps2ff48985.gif

wby-sp-bfavre-c1.jpg

Shaun Hill, I have a lot of respect for you but IT'S FAVRE TIME!

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
I can't believe that most on here are writing off Austin Davis. Maybe they didn't see him play last night?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still believe that Jimmy Clausen could thrive with the Rams....he has looked pretty decent in the few times I have seen him with the Bears and when he was at Notre Dame throwing to Floyd and Taint he was pretty damn good and set a lot of Notre Dame records in the process. He got masacred on a 1-15 Panthers team then thrown under the bus when they took Newton in that draft. With Quick looking pretty much like an actual NFL receiver, Britt seemingly as well, the Rams have enough to make Clausen work...besides, he would probably come cheap since the Bears took the SDSU QB in the draft as their long-term developmental QB (their version of Gilbert). The one thing Clausen always had was accuracy...maybe not a huge arm, but he could put the ball on a WR and throws a very pretty (and catchable) deep ball...

Jimmy Clausen has looked nothing but terrible in the NFL. Shaun Hill is a far better option.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Mariota is probably out of the question. Unless he drops due to size. Petty and Mannion from Oregon State are some realistic targets at this point in time.

Mariota is listed at 6'4" 215lbs, not sure he'll drop due to size.

All I know is KC better not try and sneak Aaron Murray to their PS.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Mariota is listed at 6'4" 215lbs, not sure he'll drop due to size.

All I know is KC better not try and sneak Aaron Murray to their PS.

Yeah, Mariota has great size and is going to bulk up even more in the NFL. I would love it if we could get him somehow.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We should calm the panic and just go with what we have. Hill's at least one game better than Clemens, I think 8-8+ is doable. Davis has played well so far and has looked as good this preseason as most of these names being thrown out. Not to mention the most important thing. He knows the playbook. Sanchez would be the only other option I would look at, simply because he will be capable of calling the plays in the huddle before week 5.

I don't see why we would expect these career middling to terrible QBs like Tebow, Freeman, etc to come in here without knowing anything about the playbook and succeed where they failed before with proper preparation. If the FO absolutely has to make some move to keep their jobs, then go after someone like Shaw or Cousins, etc. Maybe at least that way we might find a starter without drafting one next year.

Vince15

he paid his dues and then some.

Dog fighting wasnt even in the public eye until Vick brought awareness to it.
He may have been prosecuted for the gambling but what he did to those animals went far beyond the "sport". F Michael Vick with a molten hot poker and I swear I'll quit my 35 year allegiance to the Rams if they ever sign him in any capacity.