GAME DAY Preseason Week 2 - Texans at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
There was no realization, of course Wolford was going to play in PS. Sure McVay holds the #1 QB out, but he always plays his #2. Mannion played, Bortles played, Wolford played. Clearly they are giving Perkins a chance to show what he's got, but his PT has nothing to do with Wolford. Wolford was going to get real action, and he has.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall these days to know if they experiment with Perkins in other roles, wildcat, RPO etc. I doubt they would put that in game, since they wouldnt want tape on it. IMO, that's the only way he makes the team, if they find an additional role for him
I hope not. Taking Stafford off the field for anything other than injury is stupid and lowers your chances of a successful play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope not. Taking Stafford off the field for anything other than injury is stupid and lowers your chances of a successful play.
Who says Stafford would be off the field? Perkins could line up wide or as RB. Could also run short yardage plays (a nemesis of the McVay offense) with Perk at QB. Other teams have success with it.

dang

Legend
Who says Stafford would be off the field? Perkins could line up wide or as RB. Could also run short yardage plays (a nemesis of the McVay offense) with Perk at QB. Other teams have success with it.
I like Perkins as a weapon but he’d be taking away a roster slot from someone like Funk or an OL. Not sure if that helps overall.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Maybe on 3rd or 4th down and 1 to add a blocker, but I just don't like it. I don't like showing your hand and I don't like taking your playmaker off the field or out of the play. I think it lowers your percentages. As a rule of thumb.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe on 3rd or 4th down and 1 to add a blocker, but I just don't like it. I don't like showing your hand and I don't like taking your playmaker off the field or out of the play. I think it lowers your percentages. As a rule of thumb.
I totally get that, and for the most part I agree. I am just thinking that there isnt a point in keeping a #3 QB unless they can find a role for him. And with Perkins skill set, I could see how they could. But to your point, when the "running QB" comes in, defenses know to stack the box and it doesnt seem to work

nighttrain

Legend
I totally get that, and for the most part I agree. I am just thinking that there isnt a point in keeping a #3 QB unless they can find a role for him. And with Perkins skill set, I could see how they could. But to your point, when the "running QB" comes in, defenses know to stack the box and it doesnt seem to work
plus his noodle ass arm could get Kupp killed!
train

fearsomefour

Legend
Thats your opinion but we dont know that. High IQ yes for sure, but classic pocket passer IDK. Goff came with the job, and yes he chose Stafford in FA who was the best QB available to be had. But McVay himself was a mobile dual threat QB. He understands where the NFL is trending too so my guess is he would want a dual threat. Just my opinion obviously. Dual threat doesn't mean "running QB" like lamar jackson or cam newton. But you dont think McVay could dominate with Mahomes, Allen, Kyler, Herbert, Rodgers, Lawrence, Lance, etc? Being a dual threat is the new standard in today's NFL.
The guy we have are not at the level of any of the guys you listed.
Those are also all starters.....I would think all coaches could do well with any of those QBs you listed....except maybe Zimmer.
For a backup I think it is safe to assume most coaches want to run their normal O as close to possible as normal. We will see how it plays out.

RamWoodie

Legend
Great to be back Rams Fans!!! I just decided to keep away from the off season and preseason until week 3! The Rams have drafted well to me. Looks like some great secondary help is out there.

LOOKING FORWAR TO A REPEAT!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

PFF grades & notes from Rams 2nd preseason game

Who graded out better at QB - John Wolford or Bryce Perkins?

1661266167206.png

The Los Angeles Rams surrendered their lead to the Houston Texans in the final minutes of their second preseason contest. Quarterback Bryce Perkins had the offense on the move, but ultimately LA’s comeback attempt fell just short.

Los Angeles has since trimmed its roster from 85 to 80 players, and they have joint practices and another preseason game against the Cincinnati Bengals before they further reduce the roster to the initial 53. The preseason live action could be the deciding factor in who the team keeps at the backend of the roster, and some individuals are separating from the rest of the pack:

Top 5 offensive grades:​

1 - Brycen Hopkins, TE - 69.6​

Hopkins hauled in all 6 of his targets for 41 yards as he unseated Kendall Blanton as the TE2. The question for Hopkins now is whether he can carve out a regular role with Matthew Stafford and the first-string offense.

2 - Lance McCutcheon, WR - 69.4​

He was graded much better against the Chargers (88.8), but the rookie receiver still put up a strong performance despite playing against elite talent in Derek Stingley.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1560817008345849856

3 - Tremayne Anchrum, OG/OT - 69.3​

With rookie Logan Bruss going down for the year, Anchrum is the next man up as the primary reserve interior offensive lineman - and he’s proved capable in two preseason appearances.

4 - Austin Trammell, WR - 66.8​

Trammell has been good in limited action, but he has almost a 0% chance to make the team in a deep WR room. He’s auditioning for either a role on another team or for a spot on LA’s practice squad, but it’s clear the receiver has promise.

5 - Roger Carter, TE - 66.1​

Can Roger Carter make the initial 53-man roster as TE3, or is he a top practice squad candidate? We haven’t seen the production that suggests he’s worth keeping over an extra receiver or defensive back.

Other notes:​

Neither John Wolford (54.7) nor Bryce Perkins (62.9) graded out too well. Wolford was dealt a 33% pressure rate on his drop backs, and it’s unfair to judge a quarterback in those conditions. Overall, it doesn’t seem either signal caller created much separation in the battle for the backup spot to Matthew Stafford.

Reserve linemen AJ Arcuri (64.7) and AJ Jackson (63.7) also seemed to perform well. Veteran Bobby Evans was the lowest-graded player on the entire offense Friday night at 36.6. It’s possible, if not likely, that we see a changing of the guard - meaning LA could keep Arcuri over Evans. Jackson has probably already made the team as the primary swing tackle.

Top 5 defensive grades:​

1 - Decobie Durant, CB - 90.4​

It was an impressive performance by the rookie fourth rounder.

Durant was credited with a sack on a blitz and a forced fumble. He also broke up a pass on 1 of his 2 targets.

2 - Jonah Williams, IDL - 87.5

Veteran defensive lineman Jonah Williams has probably been the Rams’ best pass rusher so far in the preseason, and his sack fumble on Davis Mills was forceful and impressive:

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1560818350598529024

3 - Terrell Burgess, DB - 84.2​

Burgess had a bounce back performance after allowing a 40+ yard touchdown grab last week versus the LA Chargers. Has he done enough to win over the coaching staff and figure into their future plans at safety?

4 - Duron Lowe, CB - 80.5​

5 - Jake Hummel, MLB - 79.2​

Hummel is 1 of 3 undrafted rookies in prime position to make LA’s initial 53-man roster. He’s proved capable on special teams, and now he’s showing he can be trusted in a defensive role as well. The third and final preseason game will be his opportunity to cross the finish line.

Other notes:​

There wasn’t much separation in terms of pass rush in this game compared to last week, aside from Jonah Williams. Keir Thomas fell back down to earth (70.0 to 63). Daniel Hardy suffered an ankle injury and will miss time, but he was neck and neck with Thomas. Defensive tackle Michael Hoecht impressed versus the Chargers (75.5 pass rushing grade) but struggled against Houston (48.3), though with his special teams prowess he’s probably making the regular season roster