GAME DAY Preseason Week 2 - Texans at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
From what I saw.
The Good - McCutcheon, J Williams, Hopkins, Rochelle, Trammel, T Carter, Gay/Dixon and Perkins.
The Bad - Bruss, Evans, L Akers, Hummel, T Hall and Lowe
The Ugly - first half OL, the run game.
Trammell has really impressed me but we are so deep I know he'd probably only be a PS player here. If he can find the right fit I could see him carving out a small role on a team that isn't real deep on their WR depth chart.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Cuts are going to be brutal this year

This is where I am right now with the contested positions. this gets us to 52 unless we carry 9 ol. I am still undecided on which player/group should fill the final spot if we carry 8 ol
I likely didn't give special teams play enough consideration but I tried to include it in the final assessments

DE/NT/DT -7 A Rob, Copeland, Earnest Brown, Gaines, Jonah Williams, AD, Michael Hoecht.
ILB - 3 Wagner & Jones Leaving Gervase & Rozeboom to battle for 1 depth spot better Special teams player wins this IMO maybe we keep both on 53 for S.T if we stay at 8 OL
OLB _4 Floyd, Hollins, Lewis & Garrett which sits Hardy on the P.S
OL- 8 or 9 I think 8 is possible AJ - TA - Bruss - Brewer as depth
WR's- 6 It will take 6 spots with VJ on IR to keep Cutch & Harris on the 53
DB's Do we keep 8- 10 if 10 Yeast to ps if Burgess remains on the 53 if less yikes

I may have overlooked something while focussing on some of the tougher groups
this includes
QB's 3
RB's 4
TE's 3

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting competition.
Wolfords play on 4th and 2, hanging in the pocket and making a nice throw to his 3rd or 4th option to get the first....that was the best passing play of the game imho.
Id still give a slight edge to Wolford.
Time will tell.
It's my belief that Wolford would produce better in this pass-happy offense of McVay. Behind the five starting OL'ers he should be able to get us 2 to 3 wins. Wolford is a "head/ neck injury walking" due to his dangerous unhealthy way of running when he is forced to.
You all have covered it for me pretty well. The OL looks terrible to me. They couldn't run or pass block at all in the first half. They really need to figure that out.
As to the Offensive LIne, I hope Bruss is okay, but he needs more work in pass protection. Jackson & Anchrum are the 6th & 7th off the bench Evans can't get cut fast enough not sure how the rest breaks out. Obviously Bruss makes the team, but maybe the Rams carry only 8 OL because the others like Arcuri, Brewer & Kolone won't be claimed IMHO and could be added to the practice squad.
Yes, let's hope that Logan Bruss's knee is not seriously damaged. LB needs to get all the practice reps possible this season because next year LB will need to be fully ready to start (NEGATIVE). All that press praise/hype by McVay piled on LB all through TC & pre-Texan preseason gm. seems like useless hot coach air propaganda.

Do we know who is the highly valued first #6 OL? :thinking:

There are only two OL'ers on this roster who can be considered for that position. Either Tremayne Anchrum or Alaric Jackson (POSITIVE). As I suspected OT AJ can play the NFL OG positions(POSITIVE). We do know none of the other reserve OL'ers threaten to kick the two above off the MR53(NEGATIVE). Alaric Jackson has had to expand his skills backpack this 2nd season to include interior OL play.

AJ Arcuri made a good comeback from last week's game (POSITIVE)so if rookie AJ Arcuri can muster enough this next week in practice & the final preseason game to prove he can be an NFL Swing OT he just might make this MR53, if LB goes on IR. Been saying AA is not an interior OL'er but does have good feet & length size to play OT in the NFL.

Carberry would have two OL'ers (his #6 & #7 OL'ers {TA & AJ) available to fill in @ both OG posts. So that's certainly a POSITIVE here guys & gals.

Rams had to replace 3 important OL'ers this season in the OL:
#1- Starting LT
#2-Starting RG
#-3Top #6 Reserve.

At his point in time, It's safe to say that Carberry has fulfilled the 3 above objectives. Yes this OL unit has looked very bad for both preseason games but having solved the above main mission.....a very high POSITIVE e :thumbsup1:to remember.

What remains to be worked out is where center Jeremiah Kolone, Aj Arcuri & A healthy Logan Bruss will land in the MR53. The young rookie & valuable IOL'er Jack Snyder just might kick RT Bobby Evans & versatile Chandler Brewer off the PS. Keep an eye on that. I believe LB might be heading for the early season IR.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams signed Perkins in the hopes of upgrading the backup QB position. In his second year Perkins has given the Rams exactly what they wanted. Perkins gives them a dimension neither Stafford or Wolford brings to the table. They have seen Bryce in 4.5 preseason games and he's stood out in all of them.

The Rams control his destiny for 3 more years. At the end of that if Matt is still going strong Perkins becomes prime trade bait. That is why I think they keep both QBs this season but let Wolford walk in 2023. Next year is thought to be a deep draft in QB talent. I see them signing a developmental QB to play behind Perkins.

The Rams wanted an upgrade to Wolford when they signed Bryce. They got what they wanted. Bryce looks better than Lock or Lance and even though Murray has a better arm, Perkins is far and away a better runner. More than that, Perkins is showing development in his ability to play from the pocket, something I've pointed out for years as lacking in Kyler. People scoffed when I pointed out that Perkins could develop into a starting QB eventually on the level of Lamar Jackson. The Rams would be foolish in letting him go especially considering Stafford's arm. IMO they would be foolish in playing Perkins in the last preseason game.

I also think that Rochell has regained his start opposite Ramsey and shouldn't play in the last game as well. Durant is looking like the SCB they drafted him to be. He's still a bit raw but coaching and experience will resolve that.

There is no question that this roster looks better this year than last year's. This could end up a stellar year with their draft class and the emergence of Perkins and McCutcheon. BTW Lance's route running looks better already. The influence of Kupp and Robinson, two outstanding technicians in that area, can't be understated in the potential of McCutcheon's development. With Harris beginning to show up the Rams could end up with the best WR room in the NFL. McCutcheon is making OBJ irrelevant he could be a Robinson clone.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@BonifayRam.

Thank you for doing such a great job of keeping your eye on the OL this year.

I've been too busy, but I knew I could leave it in your trusting and knowledgeable hands.

Your point on the first man up is well taken.

I was wondering why they were still trying to use such a short guy as Anchor 'em at tackle in Camp.

What a great surprise to see Alaric Jackson develop out like you predicted.
Hopefully Snyder is next or Acuri.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He would want a pocket passer with high football IQ.
Thats your opinion but we dont know that. High IQ yes for sure, but classic pocket passer IDK. Goff came with the job, and yes he chose Stafford in FA who was the best QB available to be had. But McVay himself was a mobile dual threat QB. He understands where the NFL is trending too so my guess is he would want a dual threat. Just my opinion obviously. Dual threat doesn't mean "running QB" like lamar jackson or cam newton. But you dont think McVay could dominate with Mahomes, Allen, Kyler, Herbert, Rodgers, Lawrence, Lance, etc? Being a dual threat is the new standard in today's NFL.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Perkins better than Murray and LaMar Jackson? Your "man-love" for Perkins know's no bounds oldnotdead.

jake gyllenhaal GIF

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If the Rams only want to carry two QBs on the 53 roster they will have to keep Perkins and sign Wolford to the PS as he probably would clear waivers. There is no way I see them releasing Perkins.

Bryce is an ERFA next year then a RFA in 2024. With Stafford's arm a concern this assures them that Bryce is under their control through 2024. Perkins clearly showed he's the better QB tonight it's not even close.

McCutcheon shouldn't play next week. IMO he's shown enough to make the team. With Jefferson, Tutu and McCutcheon that probably closes the door on OBJ barring injuries. Another year of development for Harris and they will be 6 deep at WR.
No one is concerned about Stafford’s arm. Where do you get this junk???

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam.

Thank you for doing such a great job of keeping your eye on the OL this year.

I've been too busy, but I knew I could leave it in your trusting and knowledgeable hands.

Your point on the first man up is well taken.

I was wondering why they were still trying to use such a short guy as Anchor 'em at tackle in Camp.

What a great surprise to see Alaric Jackson develop out like you predicted.
Hopefully Snyder is next or Acuri.
Your wondering on Tremayne Anchrum is not uncommon...when you are an NFL OL'er & you have a 6ft & 1 & fractions inch afterwards, listing as your legit height...... Offensive Tackle is not a position you find yourself in.

On the flip side, very good NFL scouts hunt long and hard for OTs who have 34-inch length arms too, which Anchrum has. On top of that, he has a large broad upper back/shoulders giving him an LT-type wingspan.

On the negative side, Anchrum has Dick Butkus/Hacksaw Reynolds short legs. Those long arms hinder him inside @ OG & his big bubble & wingspan hinder him @ OT

I have been saying that I was of the opinion that Alaric Jackson might be even better @ LG when David Edwards departs. You know how our GM drools after starting college OT's moving inside. That's if Rookie AJ Arcuri can fully demonstrate he can be a legit Swing OT from this point on with Swing OT (Europe) Max Pircher also improving. Alaric Jackson might spend some time starting @ OG.

Carberry has to find Ram starting RT ready to start in 2023 by the end of this season. Who that will be is a complete unknown ....Carberry's list of things to do is very long & highly vital to his Ram organization!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams snap counts: Bobby Evans plays entire game, rookie CBs get more run vs. Texans​

1661025904484.png

The Rams’ offensive line was a major weakness in Friday night’s loss to the Texans, struggling to protect John Wolford and Bryce Perkins. The group also didn’t open up many running lanes, aside from the hole created on Trey Ragas’ late touchdown.

Bobby Evans was among the blockers who struggled, and it’s probably not a great sign that the fourth-year RT is playing as much as he is. Evans was on the field for every offensive snap Friday one of just two players (Jeremiah Kolone was the other) to play 100% of the snaps.

On defense, the Rams’ rookie cornerbacks, Decobie Durant and Derion Kendrick, got more playing time than they did in the preseason opener, and they made the most of their increased opportunities by combining for a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, a sack and a pass breakup.

Here’s a look at the complete snap counts on each side of the ball.

Offense​

Screen-Shot-2022-08-20-at-8.48.19-AM.png

As previously mentioned, Evans and Kolone were the only players to play every snap in the game. Kolone is unlikely to make the 53-man roster, and this could be a bad sign for Evans’ chances, too. He hasn’t exactly impressed this preseason and his struggles in pass protection on Friday night could worsen his odds of making the team.

Lance McCutcheon led the wide receivers again with a 91% snap share, but it was Austin Trammell who got a good amount of work, too. He helped fill in for the injured J.J. Koski. Jacob Harris also got a bunch of opportunities in his return to the field after missing Week 1, playing 62% of the snaps.

John Wolford played nine more snaps than Bryce Perkins, though that wasn’t by design. They each played a half and it just so happens that the Rams ran more offensive plays in the first half than the second.

Raymond Calais was the top running back for the second straight week but like the Rams’ other backs, he’s failed to produce; he had 14 yards on four carries. Calais also missed a blitz pickup, which led to a sack.

Logan Bruss was limited to only 17 snaps before injuring his knee. Fellow rookie A.J. Arcuri played 28 snaps and looked like the best lineman on the field throughout the night.

Brycen Hopkins may have an edge on Kendall Blanton for TE2
, playing 13 more snaps and making a much bigger impact as a receiver.

Defense​

Screen-Shot-2022-08-20-at-8.48.29-AM.png

The Rams continued to protect Robert Rochell, Cobie Durant and Derion Kendrick, knowing they’re going to make the 53-man roster, but Sean McVay gave them more playing time than they got in the preseason opener. Kendrick played the most of the three (28 snaps), with Rochell and Durant each playing 23 snaps. They all made key plays in the game, including a forced fumble by Durant, a recovery by Kendrick and a pass breakup by Rochell.

Jake Hummel led the linebacker unit again with 47 snaps played, followed by Anthony Hines (31). Jake Gervase also played 29 snaps, making them the only three inside linebackers who suited up.

Daniel Hardy’s lack of playing time was surprising, earning just nine snaps. That could be a sign that the Rams know he’s going to make the team and play a key role, thus keeping him out of harm’s way.

T.J. Carter and Russ Yeast played the most snaps among the safety group, with Dan Isom and Jairon McVea playing 24 and 22 snaps respectively. Terrell Burgess played even more than he did in the opener, which like with Evans, may not be a great sign.

Keir Thomas and Benton Whitley were the leading edge rushers in terms of snap counts. Jonah Williams and Michael Hoecht, two players who could make the 53-man roster, got the most playing time among the Rams’ defensive linemen. Williams played especially well.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No one is concerned about Stafford’s arm. Where do you get this junk???
I agree with you that I don't view Safford's elbow as a major issue a the moment.

However, if you watch ESPN, there are a number of so-called "Experts" that have a different opinion.

Just a couple of days ago, NY sportswriter Frank Isola was guest hosting on Get Up and said:
'Stafford has not thrown a pass all training camp'
I could not believe he said something so inaccurate and untruthful and was not corrected.
In fact, "NFL Expert" Dan Graziano agreed with him!
A few minutes later there was video of ... Stafford throwing in camp!!!

Then just yesterday on Get Up, with Mike Greenberg back in the host-chair asked his "Panel of Experts" whether Stafford's elbow was a big deal and concern.
First-up Diana Rusini said it was a really big deal and that 'Stafford was very frustrated'.
Then Jeff Saturday said 'on a Concern Scale of 1-to-10, it was a 12.'
The the third "Expert", Chris Canty agreed that 'it was a huge concern.'

That is the bull-shit ESPN's NFL EXPERTS is feeding its audience. Fucking Amazing.

I was talking to a buddy last night (Jets fan), and he said 'I hear Stafford is hurt'.
I asked him if he heard it on ESPN. He said 'Yes'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know dieter, Perkins makes plays plus he seems to energize the players around him. I still give the edge to Wolford, but I am starting to think Perkins is more than fodder.

Let me add if the Rams cut Perkins, he gets claimed quick, if they cut Wolford, I'm not so sure he gets claimed.
I think what is happening here is the Rams know they have to only keep 2 QBs. So they're taking a fresh look at the two players in the game environment as they should. Somewhere this past week they made that realization and IMO that is what made McVay elect to play Wolf, which is good because game snaps are > camp snaps.

Wolf undoubtedly is ahead based on how good his camp was. Also it is hard to get too critical on him when the OL played that poorly in front of him.

But conversely Perk has the ability to do more behind that bad line. His arm strength is shitty but WCO historically provides answers for that. In McVay's offense he will be limited on deep outs and go routes but he provides more threat underneath.

For myself I simply do not trust Wolf to stay healthy. He has not learned a fucking thing from his concussion in Seattle. So just based on that alone my choice would be Perk and honestly it is very close. Probably doesn't really matter either since if we lose Stafford for any length of time we're done. But again we are going to have only 2 QBs this season. I think that is unavoidable.

I think that's being pretty generous to Bruss. It's an issue but it seemed like Bruss has some technique issues with his pass set irrespective of Evans. Just prob needs at least a season of work. Hope he's not hurt bad.
Yeah Bruss is simply not ready. You can see his indecision out there, his head is spinning. Back off on him, let the OL coach do his thing and try to get him ready so that maybe down the stretch you have a good option on the bench you can turn to on the interior.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your wondering on Tremayne Anchrum is not uncommon...when you are an NFL OL'er & you have a 6ft & 1 & fractions inch afterwards, listing as your legit height...... Offensive Tackle is not a position you find yourself in.

On the flip side, very good NFL scouts hunt long and hard for OTs who have 34-inch length arms too, which Anchrum has. On top of that, he has a large broad upper back/shoulders giving him an LT-type wingspan.

On the negative side, Anchrum has Dick Butkus/Hacksaw Reynolds short legs. Those long arms hinder him inside @ OG & his big bubble & wingspan hinder him @ OT

I have been saying that I was of the opinion that Alaric Jackson might be even better @ LG when David Edwards departs. You know how our GM drools after starting college OT's moving inside. That's if Rookie AJ Arcuri can fully demonstrate he can be a legit Swing OT from this point on with Swing OT (Europe) Max Pircher also improving. Alaric Jackson might spend some time starting @ OG.

Carberry has to find Ram starting RT ready to start in 2023 by the end of this season. Who that will be is a complete unknown ....Carberry's list of things to do is very long & highly vital to his Ram organization!

Sean McVay: Tremayne Anchrum and A.J. Jackson have been standout reserves on OL​

1661026594930.png

The starting offensive line of the Los Angeles Rams is beginning to take shape just weeks before their Week 1 bout with the Buffalo Bills. While the starters are all but locked in, Sean McVay believes Tremayne Anchrum and A.J. Jackson have stood out among the reserves on the offensive line.

“Hopefully Logan (Bruss) will be okay. But I thought last week, in particular, Tremayne Anchrum really stood out, and A.J. Jackson,” McVay said. “I think those guys have shown they are capable players. Bobby Evans has played a lot of football. And so it is important to get those evals, especially against different defensive line structures.”

The current starting five on the offensive line appear to be Joe Noteboom, David Edwards, Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton, and Rob Havenstein. Given the importance of depth in the trenches, the Rams are evaluating multiple guys to give them contributions behind the starters.

Anchrum and Jackson are positioning themselves well to secure spots on the 53-man roster for the upcoming campaign. Meanwhile, Evans played every offensive snap against the Houston Texans on Friday, which could indicate there’s a chance he won’t remain with the team beyond the preseason.

The severity of Bruss’ injury, which forced him to exit Friday’s preseason game versus the Texans, is still unclear. The rookie third-round pick was competing for the starting right guard spot, but Shelton has seemingly earned the first chance to start.

Even though they aren’t in line to earn starting gigs, Anchrum and Jackson are catching the eye of McVay in the first two weeks of the preseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Next man up. Hope Anchrum is ready to go and I do have confidence in him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Strong opinions on fringe roster guys are like opinions on underground punk bands.... It's entirely subjective.

Liking a guy for what he is doesn't mean I have to beat a drum for him to start but that kind of extreme opinion posturing is becoming what people expect. It's really stupid.
..... end rant.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well that certainly sucks. Perhaps a trade or waiver cut following the cut down to 53 ?
Based on what we have seen up to this point from RG Logan Bruss ... It's not a big hit @ this point this season in our OL ....but its sure is a big hit for the 2023 OL! Bruss was not going to start nor was he going to be the top Swing OG Reserve. At his best, he was no better than the #8th OL'er:not:. Now, who's going to step up & win that #8 OL position? :bueller:

Tremayne Anchrum/ Alaric Jackson/ Chandler Brewer & Jack Snyder will easily fill the void that Bruss leaves! Rookies OT Aj Arcuri & OG/OC Jack Snyder will benefit from this injury.