GAME DAY Preseason Week 2 - Texans at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams vs. Texans Preseason GAMEDAY​

The Los Angeles Rams face the Houston Texans in Week 2 NFL preseason action from Sofi Stadium on Friday. While the 2022-23 Rams squad mostly stayed intact from last season, there are some new faces as LA begins its defense of the Super Bowl LVI title.

Most starters will not play, including quarterback Matthew Stafford, who underwent an elbow procedure this offseason. Both quarterback Bryce Perkins and wide receiver Lance McCutcheon look to build off solid performances last week. Undrafted rookie McCutcheon is making a strong argument to be included on the team’s initial 53-man roster ahead of the regular season.

After the game in the locker room, coach Sean McVay told his players that “no one showed up more” than McCutcheon, who finished the game with five receptions for a game-high 87 yards.

The Rams beat cross-town rival Los Angeles Chargers 29-22 in their preseason opener, on the same field where their Super Bowl dreams came true in February. With regular season approaching, evaluating rookies and roster-hopefuls will continues vs. Houston.

INJURY NOTE: Running backs Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson will sit out with injury. McVay described the issues as 'soft tissue injuries and provided no timetable for their full returns to practice.

“We're just being smart with (Henderson) and Cam (Akers)," McVay said, adding that they will sit until they are "100 percent.''

WHO: L.A. Rams vs. Houston Texans

ODDS: The Rams are 3-point underdogs to the Texans.

GAME TIME: Friday, August 19 2022 at 7 p.m. PT

TV/RADIO: ABC7 | ESPN LA 710 AM | 93.1 JACK FM | TU LIGA

THE FINAL WORD: Aaron Donald on teammate Stafford after practice on Tuesday:

“He's doing good, throwing some good passes, great passes," Donald said. "Obviously accurate, good balls, obviously. I'm trying my best to get after him and stay away, not get too close. But he looked good out there.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams-Texans: 5 players to watch on offense and defense​

The Los Angeles Rams will host the Houston Texans at SoFi Stadium Friday evening at 7:00pm PT. This will be LA’s second preseason contest after staving off a comeback attempt last week from Easton Stick and the LA Chargers.

Davis Mills is entrenched as the starting quarterback for Houston in his second season, but he attempted only three passes in their first preseason matchup against the New Orleans Saints. Will head coach Lovie Smith want to see more from Mills and the first-string offense on Friday night? It would certainly put the Rams’ young players in the secondary to the test.

Here are five players on each side of the ball to watch in the second preseason game for Los Angeles:

5 on offense:

1 - Lance McCutcheon, WR

McCutcheon stole the show in the first preseason game - racking up 5 receptions for 87 yards and 2 touchdowns. Both of his scores came in contested catch situations where he was aggressive and outfought defenders for the ball.

It’s probably unfair to expect McCutcheon to produce at the same level, but he’s making a strong push to be included on the initial 53-man regular season roster.

2 - Bryce Perkins, QB

The Rams released fourth-string QB Luis Perez this week, so the remainder of the preseason is now Perkins’ opportunity to show out. He recorded an elite 90.0 rushing grade against the Chargers, but earned only a 64.6 mark as a passer.

With the two remaining exhibition games, it’d be encouraging to see Perkins hit receivers in stride and provide them opportunities to create yards after the catch. In four career preseason starts he has not yet shown that ability on a consistent basis.

3 - Logan Bruss, OG

Logan Bruss had a rough start last week, especially in pass protection; however, it seemed the rookie got better as the game went out.

It doesn’t seem the Rams are planning to cross-train Bruss - he’s preparing for a role at RG. Likely he will be the primary backup to Coleman Shelton this season, but he might not be as pro-ready as originally thought.

4 - AJ Jackson, OL

Juxtaposed to Bruss, AJ Jackson is being cross-training as the team’s swing tackle and potentially the backup LG. This gives the teams options should one of the starting linemen go down with injury.

As it current sits, if Coleman Shelton misses time Bruss would come in at RG. If Brian Allen were injured, Shelton would shift to center and Bruss would play RG. If either Joseph Noteboom (LT), Rob Havenstein (RT), or David Edwards (LG) is hurt, Jackson could fill in.

This potentially allows the Rams to only keep 7 linemen active on gameday, which could provide flexibility at more deep positions such as the secondary or receiving corps.

5 - AJ Rose, RB

Co-starters Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson are dealing with soft tissue injuries and not participating in practice until they are 100% healthy. Jake Funk and Kyren Williams handed the bulk of the running back duties during LA’s intra-squad scrimmage on Tuesday, so it’s not clear if either will play in Friday night’s game. William is also working his way back from a broken foot he suffered in offseason team workouts.

This could mean plenty of looks at running back for Raymond Calais and AJ Rose. The offensive line struggled to create much running room last week, but Rose was physical and created yards after first contact.

There may not be room for Rose on the regular season roster, but he should be someone the Rams consider for the practice squad - especially considering the injury history of the first four backs on the depth chart.

5 on defense:

1 - Robert Rochell, Derion Kendrick, Decobie Durant; CB

This promising cornerback trip played sparingly in the first exhibition game. Rochell was in for 15 snaps while Kendrick and Durant played 16. With their stellar performance in training camp, it’s unlikely that we will see them for an extended period in this game as well.

But if Mills plays for the Texans, it would be difficult to pass up the opportunity to give these young secondary players time against a starting NFL quarterback - and this would be a good way to gauge their development so far.

2 - Terrell Burgess, DB

Burgess was credited for allowing a 41-yard touchdown catch to Joe Reed, and he received the lowest PFF grade on the defense as a result.

Burgess has seemingly fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, but with the starters sitting out of the preseason he has two remaining games to make a statement. He might be auditioning for another team in his third year, or he could be on a path towards redemption in Los Angeles.

3 - Jonah Williams, IDL

Jonah Williams was disruptive as a pass rusher against the Chargers but he seemed to have a harder time stopping the run. He’s been an important depth piece and special teams player for LA in recent seasons, so can he strike a better balance against Houston?

4 - Jake Hummel, MLB

After reportedly mixing in with the first-string special teams unit, undrafted rookie Jake Hummel also showed promise on defense a week ago. He played a whopping 58 defensive snaps against the Chargers and recorded 10 total tackles - showing a nose for the football.

Hummel probably has the best chance to make the 53-man roster among all the 2022 UDFA’s.

5 - Keir Thomas, EDGE

While all eyes were on seventh draft choice Daniel Hardy, Keir Thomas was the team’s best edge defender last Saturday night. Thomas recorded 4 total pressures on just 15 pass rushing snaps, which is fairly impressive albeit a very small sample size.

Can he have a repeat performance versus the Texans?

fearsomefour

Legend
Watching Bruss and Kolone in particular this week.
Trammell and McCutcheon on the O side.
McCutcheon was open on any of his catches. That does show off his fight, hands and catch radius but doesn't say a lot for this ability to get open....the 2 point conversion was great route however.
On the D side, Hardy, Whitley, Jonah Williams, Brown.....see if any of the DL can make a play.
The biggest thing determining whether Perkins sticks or not, in my opinion, is how Wolford looks from the pocket.
Perkins running is fun to watch....and he is very strong....but, I doubt it is what McVay wants.
He wants a back up QB he can trust to run HIS offense as close to normal as possible.
Getting lined up right, seeing things, getting the ball out on time from the pocket etc.
With a few positions very very deep it makes it tough to justify keeping 3 QBs.
We saw the exciting plays but it is hard to know, really, how well Perkins played. Where was the ball supposed to go? Some are obvious, like the long TD to McCutcheon. It was an iso pattern and you throw that up to take advantage of his size and catch advantage.
Others, no so much. He still seems late on some throws to me. It will be interesting to see how the two play, style wise, in comparison.
Should be another fun game to watch.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend

Rams-Texans: 5 players to watch on offense and defense​

The Los Angeles Rams will host the Houston Texans at SoFi Stadium Friday evening at 7:00pm PT. This will be LA’s second preseason contest after staving off a comeback attempt last week from Easton Stick and the LA Chargers.

Davis Mills is entrenched as the starting quarterback for Houston in his second season, but he attempted only three passes in their first preseason matchup against the New Orleans Saints. Will head coach Lovie Smith want to see more from Mills and the first-string offense on Friday night? It would certainly put the Rams’ young players in the secondary to the test.

Here are five players on each side of the ball to watch in the second preseason game for Los Angeles:

5 on offense:

1 - Lance McCutcheon, WR

McCutcheon stole the show in the first preseason game - racking up 5 receptions for 87 yards and 2 touchdowns. Both of his scores came in contested catch situations where he was aggressive and outfought defenders for the ball.

It’s probably unfair to expect McCutcheon to produce at the same level, but he’s making a strong push to be included on the initial 53-man regular season roster.

2 - Bryce Perkins, QB

The Rams released fourth-string QB Luis Perez this week, so the remainder of the preseason is now Perkins’ opportunity to show out. He recorded an elite 90.0 rushing grade against the Chargers, but earned only a 64.6 mark as a passer.

With the two remaining exhibition games, it’d be encouraging to see Perkins hit receivers in stride and provide them opportunities to create yards after the catch. In four career preseason starts he has not yet shown that ability on a consistent basis.

3 - Logan Bruss, OG

Logan Bruss had a rough start last week, especially in pass protection; however, it seemed the rookie got better as the game went out.

It doesn’t seem the Rams are planning to cross-train Bruss - he’s preparing for a role at RG. Likely he will be the primary backup to Coleman Shelton this season, but he might not be as pro-ready as originally thought.

4 - AJ Jackson, OL

Juxtaposed to Bruss, AJ Jackson is being cross-training as the team’s swing tackle and potentially the backup LG. This gives the teams options should one of the starting linemen go down with injury.

As it current sits, if Coleman Shelton misses time Bruss would come in at RG. If Brian Allen were injured, Shelton would shift to center and Bruss would play RG. If either Joseph Noteboom (LT), Rob Havenstein (RT), or David Edwards (LG) is hurt, Jackson could fill in.

This potentially allows the Rams to only keep 7 linemen active on gameday, which could provide flexibility at more deep positions such as the secondary or receiving corps.

5 - AJ Rose, RB

Co-starters Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson are dealing with soft tissue injuries and not participating in practice until they are 100% healthy. Jake Funk and Kyren Williams handed the bulk of the running back duties during LA’s intra-squad scrimmage on Tuesday, so it’s not clear if either will play in Friday night’s game. William is also working his way back from a broken foot he suffered in offseason team workouts.

This could mean plenty of looks at running back for Raymond Calais and AJ Rose. The offensive line struggled to create much running room last week, but Rose was physical and created yards after first contact.

There may not be room for Rose on the regular season roster, but he should be someone the Rams consider for the practice squad - especially considering the injury history of the first four backs on the depth chart.

5 on defense:

1 - Robert Rochell, Derion Kendrick, Decobie Durant; CB

This promising cornerback trip played sparingly in the first exhibition game. Rochell was in for 15 snaps while Kendrick and Durant played 16. With their stellar performance in training camp, it’s unlikely that we will see them for an extended period in this game as well.

But if Mills plays for the Texans, it would be difficult to pass up the opportunity to give these young secondary players time against a starting NFL quarterback - and this would be a good way to gauge their development so far.

2 - Terrell Burgess, DB

Burgess was credited for allowing a 41-yard touchdown catch to Joe Reed, and he received the lowest PFF grade on the defense as a result.

Burgess has seemingly fallen out of favor with the coaching staff, but with the starters sitting out of the preseason he has two remaining games to make a statement. He might be auditioning for another team in his third year, or he could be on a path towards redemption in Los Angeles.

3 - Jonah Williams, IDL

Jonah Williams was disruptive as a pass rusher against the Chargers but he seemed to have a harder time stopping the run. He’s been an important depth piece and special teams player for LA in recent seasons, so can he strike a better balance against Houston?

4 - Jake Hummel, MLB

After reportedly mixing in with the first-string special teams unit, undrafted rookie Jake Hummel also showed promise on defense a week ago. He played a whopping 58 defensive snaps against the Chargers and recorded 10 total tackles - showing a nose for the football.

Hummel probably has the best chance to make the 53-man roster among all the 2022 UDFA’s.

5 - Keir Thomas, EDGE

While all eyes were on seventh draft choice Daniel Hardy, Keir Thomas was the team’s best edge defender last Saturday night. Thomas recorded 4 total pressures on just 15 pass rushing snaps, which is fairly impressive albeit a very small sample size.

Can he have a repeat performance versus the Texans?
Hummel and Thomas are interesting.
I certainly noticed Hummell a lot as he was around the ball a lot. With Wagner, Jones and apparently Rozeboom in the fold Hummel has a tough numbers game, but, certainly seems a great PS candidate.
Thomas I didn't notice really.
I will for sure keep an eye out for him. Can never have enough pass rushing depth.
Gervase seemed improved play at LB as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Watching Bruss and Kolone in particular this week.
Trammell and McCutcheon on the O side.
McCutcheon was open on any of his catches. That does show off his fight, hands and catch radius but doesn't say a lot for this ability to get open....the 2 point conversion was great route however.
On the D side, Hardy, Whitley, Jonah Williams, Brown.....see if any of the DL can make a play.
The biggest thing determining whether Perkins sticks or not, in my opinion, is how Wolford looks from the pocket.
Perkins running is fun to watch....and he is very strong....but, I doubt it is what McVay wants.
He wants a back up QB he can trust to run HIS offense as close to normal as possible.
Getting lined up right, seeing things, getting the ball out on time from the pocket etc.
With a few positions very very deep it makes it tough to justify keeping 3 QBs.
We saw the exciting plays but it is hard to know, really, how well Perkins played. Where was the ball supposed to go? Some are obvious, like the long TD to McCutcheon. It was an iso pattern and you throw that up to take advantage of his size and catch advantage.
Others, no so much. He still seems late on some throws to me. It will be interesting to see how the two play, style wise, in comparison.
Should be another fun game to watch.
McCutcheon isn't a burner, so I don't expect much separation on a deep sideline route.. and I don't know if he could've had a step on the DB, if needed... he was tracking the ball, so I just don't know. There was no separation to be had on the second TD.. he went to the spot and made a play. The one play he needed to really run a route, he shook a guy... now, I have no idea how crisp the route was compared to how Kupp would run it or how well it would've gone against a real NFL db.. but he looked good.

I just don't see it with Perkins arm.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I won't be watching the game but am looking forward to everyone's impressions on it, especially Wolford. Can't say I'm a fan but I hope he makes Perkins a luxury so we can keep an extra DB.

oldnotdead

Legend

The NFL mandates 8 OL active on game day.

McCutcheon is a work in progress. He's not a burner like Jefferson, but he's not slow either. In fact, he's faster than Robinson and Kupp was as a rookie. Kupp showed that speed can be improved with proper training. He's got two of the best route runners to learn from. I think next year McCutcheon will be a force that DCs must account for. Like Skowronek, he needs a year to develop.

Jonah Williams has always played outside. Moving inside is a completely different technique. He's more of a 3 T than a 1T but I think he can play the position. Like McCutcheon, he needs time to develop. I'd rather see Hoecht in the middle with Williams at 3T.

Again I have no doubt that coming out of their bye week, Rochell and Durant will be the #2 & #3 CBs with Kendricks their dime DB. Kendrick is a zone CB who plays best when he can play downhill.

The Rams have a lot of young players that will take time to get comfortable in their roles. But it's a long season and I think by December most of these guys will be just fine.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm really hoping that The Wolf of Ball Street plays great tonight and alleviates the worry (somewhat) of our back up QB. When he came in for Goff, he looks very capable. Let's hope that wasn't an illusion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those reading the above there is no 8 offensive lineman rule. As part of the 2020 Covid rules teams were allowed to have 48 active on gameday instead of 46 as long as one of the extra two was an offensive lineman. There is no rule you have to have 8 active. It was part of the temporary rules to ease the impact of Covid. But those rules are no longer in affect. There i#s no mandate on game day active other than 46 players.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm really hoping that The Wolf of Ball Street plays great tonight and alleviates the worry (somewhat) of our back up QB. When he came in for Goff, he looks very capable. Let's hope that wasn't an illusion.
This should be interesting this evening as I will sit back enjoy my pinot noir and watch the Rams live on NFL Network.

Is John Wolford better then Bryce Perkins? Some say yes, but if Wolford struggles in this game & Perkins is successful, you could see a change of the guard at backup QB with the Rams keeping Perkins and releasing Wolford.

IMO, that won't happen, I expect a good game for Little Johnny plus a good game from Jacob Harris just to make things more difficult. Overall, also I believe the Offensive Line will become clearer as maybe both Bobby Evans & A.J. Arcuri do not make the roster, with Arcuri staying on the practice squad with the Rams keeping the likes of Anchrum, Bruss, Jackson & Kolone as the 4 offensive linemen as the reserves come September.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Rose. We need someone in that room who can settle shit down. He's not a gamebreaker but that power and contact balance is real nice.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I only stream these days and so no game tonight for me... SONOFA