(Poll) Should we hope the Rams lose to get a better draft pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should we hope the Rams lose to get a better draft pick?

• Yes

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 100 96.2%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This type of thinking is disgraceful, imo, especially against the arch-rival 49ers in their stadium. We could go 5-1 in our division and go 8-8 for the season. Moving down in the draft order by one or two slots isn't a guarantee we will get a great pick. I trust in Snead to wheel and deal to get us the right players.

In all my years as a Rams fanatic I can't remember ever hoping they would lose a game. But some of you have a different point of view on this so have at it.

*Btw there are a ton of comments to read after this article. Click the link at the top and scroll down if you're interested.*

*****************************************************************************\
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1...s-nfl-draft-tanking-suck-for-luck-or-whomever

You Don't Have To Root For The Rams To Lose After Missing The Playoffs...But You Should Want Them To
By 3k @3k_ on Dec 29, 2015

It's hard to root for your team to lose.

We invest time, emotion and money into the Rams and hoping, expecting and demanding wins for 11 months. We do it every year. So to turn around over the final stretch once they're out of of playoff contention isn't just hard. It's tripping up the wires.

So I understand the reluctance for some people to buy into tanking, especially for a team that has had few enough wins already in the last 12 years...

but...it's the best thing that could happen.

No, logic doesn't often win out over emotion, examples of which poured out in the comments here and here. So I get that many Rams fans would rather see a win in Seattle like last week and are hoping for another this week in San Francisco.

It just won't help.

And it's simple logic. It's just draft positioning. You want earlier picks to get better players period. That the Rams, or any team, have done well with picks outside the top few is just the nature of the volatility of the draft year-to-year as well as the difficulty of scouting appropriate talent to fit your team.

The logic that some want to offer as if it justifies winning that the Rams have done better with latter picks is silly. That's like pointing to a late-round gem and suggesting we should just give up all of our first-round picks.

Hey, we got E.J. Gaines in the fifth round. Let's trade all of our day 1 and 2 picks for day 3 picks!

Two years ago, the Rams lost their Week 17 game in Seattle to end the season. That loss left them with the 13th overall pick in the draft and not the 21st, the 13th overall pick they used on DT Aaron Donald.

Last year, the Rams finished on a three-game losing skid to end up 6-10. A win out of those three might well have seen Todd Gurley vying for the 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year Award somewhere else this season.

Regardless, drafting is an inexact science. Correlations aren't direct. Uncertainity rules the day. But it's that very uncertainty that drives the value of earlier picks higher than the latter ones.

So don't you have to root for the Rams to lose on Sunday. But don't be too upset if they do. It's worth a whole hell of a lot more than winning is at this point.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Nope. Finishing with a non-losing record will be a bigger boost to this org than a couple higher draft spots.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 games ago I wanted us to loose out....now there's no point

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Never. I never want to lose. Especially to the 49ers. Who cares if you get a draft pick a few spots higher? What makes you think you'd hit on that one instead of where you'd be if you won?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
No.....it's the Whiners.........it's must win at all costs..........

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
At this point, I want us to win. As NJ and Bruce said: 8-8 is a milestone achievement for us. When was the last time we had a .500 record? I believe it was 2006. I just hope we can really take the next step in 2016. I feel like every year we say it's going to happen, this is our year, and then bad things tend to happen. I truly feel like we've got what it takes; the discipline and chemistry and synergy just needs to continue.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams play a great game, that's four in a row, and we can carry that momentum into next year. If Keenum plays a great game, we may have found our quarterback. Not only would I like to see the Rams win, I think the Rams NEED to win this one. I am hoping for a blowout Rams win!

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
One of the hardest things to institute is a winning culture. When you start talking about is it best to lose, then you are perpetuating the losing. No way, no how, should you ever want to lose an NFL game, they're too hard to win and when it means the first non-losing season in years, to say otherwise is asinine.
:wtf::hellno:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fans should never want their team to lose, unless you're in the running for the first pick and there's a game changer out there.

I see the loser mentality, but there's a real competitive advantage to tanking for an Andrew Luck type of player.

With our team and in our situation, we should never want this team to lose. They need to learn how to win consistently.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Not only did I vote no, I also think "Hell no" should be an option.

You can always work things out and trade up in the draft anyway. A chance for a 4 game winning streak and best record in 9 years? Hell yeah, sign me up for that, fuck the draft position.

When's the last time the Rams won 4 in a row?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Absolutely not, we are way passed that....Win on Sunday finish 8-8 best finish so far under the Fisher regime, you close out the season with a four game winning streak and a two game win streak on the road.

Gives you something to build on next year and being 4-0 after making Rob Boras the offensive coordinator will serve him well in 2016!
USATSI_8198821.jpg

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
A month ago I would have wanted that top 5 pick and still do.But now we have a chance to break even and this will have a positive impact on our players. So no I don't want to move up 2-3 slots and end with another losing season I want the win.If there's a Qb they want early I'd rather they trade 2 #1 and a 2 to move up to get him.Then we can start leaving those losing seasons behind us. And finishing strong with a 4 game winning streak and a non losing year will help for next year.