Poll Only: Keep the Stache or Not?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Jeff Fisher be Retained at Season's End?

• Total voters

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Why would any head coach nueter themselves like that? You've turned in your HC stripes if you do that.

While I would agree it would be great if Fisher willingly gave more autonomy to the OC to determine the style of O to run and do all the playcalling, to think Fisher's going to just sit back and say 'The O is all yours. I promise I won't interfere in any way.' ain't gonna happen.

By cede control I did not mean Fisher having absolutely no input. For example, I'd always expect this to be a run first team under Fisher (which I am okay with and actually quite like). I just meant the OC would be the main man in charge, do the play calling, have the green light to be aggressive when desired instead of always playing for field goals, partitioning targets as he sees fit e.g. not targeting Cook endlessly when he is clearly struggling to catch the ball, etc. Currently, I don't think any of that is the case. Like many, I feel Cigs was hired because it meant Fisher would still be able to pull all the strings. Of course, none of us fans know in the end.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would any head coach nueter themselves like that? You've turned in your HC stripes if you do that.

While I would agree it would be great if Fisher willingly gave more autonomy to the OC to determine the style of O to run and do all the playcalling, to think Fisher's going to just sit back and say 'The O is all yours. I promise I won't interfere in any way.' ain't gonna happen.
Well then, I'm not very optimistic about the future if Fisher stays.

To me, he's proven pretty clearly that he is not adept at building offenses. Running backs? Yeah. Past that? Bad decision after bad decision.

The best example I can offer is when they decided to go to the spread (2013, IIRC)... acquired Long to shore up the line... picked up Cook :)(), drafted Austin, Bailey, Jones... they already had Wells... and Quick was coming into his second year... he was expected to really improve. They said they had all the pieces to "keep DCs up at night". I actually believed them

The offense was going to accent what Bradford did at OU... except...

After like 5 games of ineffectiveness, Fisher stepped in and shut it down.

Then, he decided they needed to go power running and all those pieces of the puzzle didn't fit anymore. They've really struggled to figure out a way to get Austin involved (seems to be working best this year)... Long is done... Wells is done... Cook really doesn't fit a blocking offense... it's dysfunctional... IMO, partly because Fisher changes horses in mid-stream that year. I remember thinking... maybe he should give this more time.

To me, he just isn't good at building an offense... we all have our deficienceis... but that one is kiling the Rams right now and I don't have confidence he'll all-of-a-sudden "get it".

So, I'd be pretty depressed about it.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I just saw this on the NFL subreddit.

Fisher is 12 wins away from being the losingest coach of all time. There's only 3 coaches with more losses at this point: Shula, Landry and Dan Reeves who averaged 90 more regular season wins than him and 17 more playoff wins.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

Fisher is 12 wins away from being the losingest coach of all time. There's only 3 coaches with more losses at this point: Shula, Landry and Dan Reeves who averaged 90 more regular season wins than him and 17 more playoff wins.

wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want to see how the season plays out before I Vote for real, for yes! Hold this Vote come January!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In light of that stat, it is kind of interesting...

He has a certain "bigger than life" personna... I remember his first year with the Rams... I didn't like the hire, but I felt good seeing him prowl the sidelines.. confident... just gave you the feeling he could do it.

And that first year was a pleasant surprise to me.

But, with each succeeding year, that glow of that prowl has been getting dimmer and dimmer...

That aura just doesn't seem to line up with his resume any longer...

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I just read today that Fisher needs 12 more losses to have the most ever by a coach in NFL history. That's pretty insane that he was able to coach this long with only six winning seasons. I still don't understand how he will all of a sudden become a perennial playoff contending coach after 21 years.

Athos

Legend

Just saw this.Insane.

Not sure why people have faith Fisher can turn anything around. Career loser.

Amazing he's been able to just about have the career losing mark record without many wins to back it around.

At this point I'd have figured guys would get another HC gig and move to coordinating.

Fisher just isn't the kind to get us back to winning consistently. Don't think he ever was.

He's the proverbial bridge coach to restore order... Or talent as it were. But not make a contender.

Let the excuses fly again. :unsure:

FrankenRam

Starter
Well then, I'm not very optimistic about the future if Fisher stays.

To me, he's proven pretty clearly that he is not adept at building offenses. Running backs? Yeah. Past that? Bad decision after bad decision.

The best example I can offer is when they decided to go to the spread (2013, IIRC)... acquired Long to shore up the line... picked up Cook :)(), drafted Austin, Bailey, Jones... they already had Wells... and Quick was coming into his second year... he was expected to really improve. They said they had all the pieces to "keep DCs up at night". I actually believed them

The offense was going to accent what Bradford did at OU... except...

After like 5 games of ineffectiveness, Fisher stepped in and shut it down.

Then, he decided they needed to go power running and all those pieces of the puzzle didn't fit anymore. They've really struggled to figure out a way to get Austin involved (seems to be working best this year)... Long is done... Wells is done... Cook really doesn't fit a blocking offense... it's dysfunctional... IMO, partly because Fisher changes horses in mid-stream that year. I remember thinking... maybe he should give this more time.

To me, he just isn't good at building an offense... we all have our deficienceis... but that one is kiling the Rams right now and I don't have confidence he'll all-of-a-sudden "get it".

So, I'd be pretty depressed about it.

I can understand your perspective, for sure. And am starting to lean that way more as well.

You bring up a good point in mentioning the early 2013 season. At this point, I have to wonder who it was that managed to talk Fisher into opening up the O starting the year.....as well as drafting and signing players to (hopefully) make that system work. Somebody must have had his ear...and more importantly, his confidence. And looking back, I've gotta wonder if that was Schotty.(??) IF it was, maybe that helps to explain why Schot left 'voluntarily' after last year. Maybe there was a significant difference of opinion between him & Fisher about how the O should be approached, and Schotty felt like Fisher no longer had any confidence in him to run the O effectively. Obviously, there's a whole lot of reading between the lines in that notion. But given how quickly Fisher shut the door on that planned strategy, maybe it isn't overly far-fetched.

FRO

Legend
True. But he's not the one out on the field playing. Obviously no one expected this total meltdown at the most important position on the field.
I guess when Chip Kelly was offering him and a second round pick for a QB coming off two consecutive knee tears, some second thoughts should have been made on how good Foles is. He had that great 2013 when the Kelly offense was new and coordinators had t figured it out yet. He had the luxury of the first read being open and he had great success. Now he is being exposed as backup QB material. That's on Fisher since he pushed for the trade.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can understand your perspective, for sure. And am starting to lean that way more as well.

You bring up a good point in mentioning the early 2013 season. At this point, I have to wonder who it was that managed to talk Fisher into opening up the O starting the year.....as well as drafting and signing players to (hopefully) make that system work. Somebody must have had his ear...and more importantly, his confidence. And looking back, I've gotta wonder if that was Schotty.(??) IF it was, maybe that helps to explain why Schot left 'voluntarily' after last year. Maybe there was a significant difference of opinion between him & Fisher about how the O should be approached, and Schotty felt like Fisher no longer had any confidence in him to run the O effectively. Obviously, there's a whole lot of reading between the lines in that notion. But given how quickly Fisher shut the door on that planned strategy, maybe it isn't overly far-fetched.
That is exactly how I envisioned things went down...
* Fisher gets hired in 2012
* Fisher hires Schottenheimer
* Fisher tells Schottenheimer that he (Schott) is in charge of the offense and, together, they'll acquire/draft the appropriate players
* After 1 year, Schottenheimer tells Fisher he thinks they have to go to a more spread offense... it's what suits Bradford best.
* Fisher buys in and they draft/acquire according to that plan
(you may recall that it was Schottenheimer that was telling everyone how good a plan it was. He was really promoting it - more than anything I saw him promote before... like it was his plan and he was proud of it)

I do believe that's how it likely (key word there being likely) went down.

And, as I said, after a few games with poor results, I think Fisher said to Schottenheimer:
This isn't working like we planned. We need to move in another direction... a more conservative direction... let's go more ground attack. Figure something out.

I think it's very possible that the change (that soon) put off Schottenheimer. I know it would make me wonder why I was there, if the boss is calling all the shots.

So, off went Schottenheimer to GA - to much applause by Rams fan.

Combine that whole POTENTIAL episode with, either:
* Fisher's inability to convince a top shelf OC candidate to come work for him - or -
* Fisher's need to control the offense... so he promotes a "yes man" in Cignetti

Boy, I'd love to have a one-on-one totally confidential conversation with Schottenheimer.

But, as you said, it's a whole lot of reading between the lines... I can say it doesn't matter now, but it does (to me).

Because if my educated guess (based on what has happened) is right, Fisher is an issue for our offense.