POLL: Just want to check our Sloman Pulse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sloman released: The Sloman thread and his story

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Patience advocates are leading in a landslide.

40-36 is a landslide? You have to wait for those votes to come in from the west coast Mr. Charles Evans Hughes. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. I trust our staff. I just wanted to get a feel of if ROD is agreeing with my impatience or if
I am the only one worried about this kid.
Do you have any thoughts on why he continues kick balls way too low without getting any lift?

His trajectory problem could be a few things. I haven't watched him closely. I don't even know if it could be picked up on a TV screen.

His plant foot should be slightly past the ball on approach. If he's planting his foot too early then he'd be kicking low.

The other thing is how high is his follow through.

These two steps are crucial in place kicking.

Off the top of my head, Sloman looks a bit short. He's 5'8" this would affect his stride and timing. If Bonamega is trying to get him to back up further than he is comfortable, (due to bigger, faster NFL defenders) then this could be part of his low trajectory problem. His strides may be shorter than needed to consistently kick with a high trajectory.

If Sloman is trying to compensate for shorter legs then he is likely over striding and that makes it impossible to have a good follow through. I bring this up because his kickoffs seem better than his field goals. On kickoffs he can do whatever he is comfortable with. I know there have been short kickers in the NFL, but when you think of some of the better kickers in the NFL recently they aren't built like Garo Yepremian.

I'm not saying this has to be the problem but it could be. If his kickoff trajectory is higher and more consistent than his field goal trajectory then I'd say its a good possibility.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of you guys who say we need to be patient.
What would be your time line is he continues to struggle?
When he starts to actually struggle would be a good time to ask that question.
Funny, the o-line is getting mad props right now (deservedly so IMO) however they are more responsible for Sloman's missed FG as he is. The back to back sacks on Goff took them from redzone to 50+ range

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, really.
Since they moved XP back, he's at 90%, has missed 10 out of 102
He's decent at 30-39 89%
Marginal at 50+ 63%
Deplorable at touchback % 39%

But hey, he's got great body language and stuff

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about a proven vet who’s hit on 100% of his attempts? 8 for 8, including a long of 54?

Ladies and gents, I present to you:

SAM FICKEN! :cool:

View attachment 39465
You mean the guy that was 50% for us and followed that up with a year at 70%? This just proves we should stick it out with Sloman so thank you for that.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
His trajectory problem could be a few things. I haven't watched him closely. I don't even know if it could be picked up on a TV screen.

His plant foot should be slightly past the ball on approach. If he's planting his foot too early then he'd be kicking low.

The other thing is how high is his follow through.

These two steps are crucial in place kicking.

Off the top of my head, Sloman looks a bit short. He's 5'8" this would affect his stride and timing. If Bonamega is trying to get him to back up further than he is comfortable, (due to bigger, faster NFL defenders) then this could be part of his low trajectory problem. His strides may be shorter than needed to consistently kick with a high trajectory.

If Sloman is trying to compensate for shorter legs then he is likely over striding and that makes it impossible to have a good follow through. I bring this up because his kickoffs seem better than his field goals. On kickoffs he can do whatever he is comfortable with. I know there have been short kickers in the NFL, but when you think of some of the better kickers in the NFL recently they aren't built like Garo Yepremian.

I'm not saying this has to be the problem but it could be. If his kickoff trajectory is higher and more consistent than his field goal trajectory then I'd say its a good possibility.

Good stuff Elmgrovenome!
See,these are things that would have never crossed my mind.
I'm gonna be checking him out Sunday. I think we may get a good look against
the Giants. Should be putting up some points.
I actually hope he gets a opportunity at 3 or 4 field goals. The extra game reps can't hurt.

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LA Rams rookie kicker Samuel Sloman is very similar to that of Lion’s 2014 rookie kicker Nate Freese. Hopefully, their careers are far different
Bret Stuter

The LA Rams ST coordinator John Bonamego has been down this path before. In 2014, the Detroit Lions had a kicking competition between rookie Nate Freese and 13-year veteran Jay Feely. Rookie kicker Freese won that competition. But by September 22, 2014, the Lions had no choice but to cut the rookie and find a new kicker. veteran kicker Alex Henery. By October 7, 2014, the Lions were forced to cut Henery and signed up former Broncos kicker Matt Prater.

Prater would go on to make 21 of 26 field goals for the Lions in 2014. In the end, the Detroit Lions special teams performance was ranked 31st in the NFL. The Lions recovered admirably the following year, finishing 13th in the league. But by that time it was too late. The damage was done. The Lions opted for a drafted rookie kicker who choked up and missed his first three field goals. Could it happen again?

Uncanny similarities
While there is no cause and effect, the similarities are enough to raise an eyebrow. It both cases, a rookie competed with another kicker with more experience. In both cases, the rookie kicker struggle mightily. And in both cases, the kicking job was awarded to the rookie over the more experienced competition due to a “late surge of accuracy”. This sounds eerily similar to the storyline of the Rams kicking competition this year, which resulted in choosing rookie Samuel Sloman over two non-NFL veteran kickers. The way he did it? A late surge.

While some have downplayed the pushback on social media after the Rams selection of Sloman, this spotlights why those concerns may be justified. Competition like the one the Rams just played out does have an historic reason for being a significant decision for the team.

The Rams can insure against that type of fiasco by signing up either Hajrullahu or MacGinnis to the practice squad. While unconventional, it would allow the Rams to call up a new kicker from the practice squad if Sloman meets with early-season difficulties.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
LA Rams rookie kicker Samuel Sloman is very similar to that of Lion’s 2014 rookie kicker Nate Freese. Hopefully, their careers are far different
Bret Stuter

The LA Rams ST coordinator John Bonamego has been down this path before. In 2014, the Detroit Lions had a kicking competition between rookie Nate Freese and 13-year veteran Jay Feely. Rookie kicker Freese won that competition. But by September 22, 2014, the Lions had no choice but to cut the rookie and find a new kicker. veteran kicker Alex Henery. By October 7, 2014, the Lions were forced to cut Henery and signed up former Broncos kicker Matt Prater.

Prater would go on to make 21 of 26 field goals for the Lions in 2014. In the end, the Detroit Lions special teams performance was ranked 31st in the NFL. The Lions recovered admirably the following year, finishing 13th in the league. But by that time it was too late. The damage was done. The Lions opted for a drafted rookie kicker who choked up and missed his first three field goals. Could it happen again?

Uncanny similarities
While there is no cause and effect, the similarities are enough to raise an eyebrow. It both cases, a rookie competed with another kicker with more experience. In both cases, the rookie kicker struggle mightily. And in both cases, the kicking job was awarded to the rookie over the more experienced competition due to a “late surge of accuracy”. This sounds eerily similar to the storyline of the Rams kicking competition this year, which resulted in choosing rookie Samuel Sloman over two non-NFL veteran kickers. The way he did it? A late surge.

While some have downplayed the pushback on social media after the Rams selection of Sloman, this spotlights why those concerns may be justified. Competition like the one the Rams just played out does have an historic reason for being a significant decision for the team.

The Rams can insure against that type of fiasco by signing up either Hajrullahu or MacGinnis to the practice squad. While unconventional, it would allow the Rams to call up a new kicker from the practice squad if Sloman meets with early-season difficulties.

I wonder, was Bonamego the Lions DC Freese was in kicking competition?

I really was all in on Hajrullahu or even Maginnis since they are more experienced in a higher level of competition.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I have no evidence and I am not skilled at evaluating kickers. That being said, I hate our current kicker. His kicks look weak, looks like a college kicker and not an NFL kicker to me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay went with him bc were such a young team. Wants to grow this thing organically together to be dominant for years.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's 205 pounds of swinging right leg and only 23 years old. If he's this good now, just wait. He and McVay are from the same college and I think there is no way Sloman is going to disappoint McVay. There is too much riding on this. Ask me in 2 more games! Ha!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if he causes 2 or 3 loses along the way (this season)?

Yes. GZ cost us against the Seahawks, Steelers (missed FG before half that if he made, were in FG range to win at the end), and Niners game two (missed FG and we lost by 3). That should be expected of Sloman as a rookie, who is making pennies (in NFL terms). So a kicker costing us three games would be the same productivity for cheaper - a win. Plus with him being so young, you have to hope he improves.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay went with him bc were such a young team. Wants to grow this thing organically together to be dominant for years.
Or it could be just like McVay said. It was a close competition and Sloman pulled ahead in the final week or two.

And it always cracks me up people throwing out the hypothetical costing us a win. Like you point out people were pissed we let GZ go yet his missed FG last year kept us from the playoffs. It honestly looks like no matter what this kid does it won't be good enough for some people.