(Poll) Goff or Wentz Part Deux. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do YOU want to draft as the Rams next franchise QB?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• These pretzels are making me thirsty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradford started his first game and he ROYALLY sucked.
He did? I vaguely remember him looking pretty good for a day 1 rook. Made mistakes but also made some great throws. I remember being pretty excited after that game(vs AZ i think).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He did? I vaguely remember him looking pretty good for a day 1 rook. Made mistakes but also made some great throws. I remember being pretty excited after that game(vs AZ i think).
Well, 3 interceptions in one game is royally sucking by his standards at least.
He never did that again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah maybe. I don't think his first start was awful. Had a late lead, threw a TD, 3rd INT was a prayer into the endzone.
Doesn't matter...just don't be hard on the Lil guy. K?
Fair enough. Maybe "royally" sucked isn't the best choice of words, but I do have a flair for the dramatic.
My only point is that you have to get that first bad game on the books before you can be truly "ready".

tempests

Hall of Fame

That was a weird day. 70/30 pass run split in a low scoring game. With a rookie LT too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My only point is that you have to get that first bad game on the books before you can be truly "ready"
Ahhhhh yes. You mean like Tony Banks' first game?
229247.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Precisely. Because in his second he threw 3 touchdowns.
Yes he did. I was in attendance that day. It was Africa hot sitting on those East end metal bleachers too at Sun Devil stadium. Rams shoulda won that game. Eddie Kennison ran wild.

RamWoodie

Legend
No. There are more than enough great QBs on both sides of that coin to conclude that throwing a QB into the fire isn't a worse option than sitting a QB. It all comes down to the individual QB's needs. Goff is a guy who can be thrown into the fire. He can handle it. And the Rams need him. That's why they gave up what they did. They recognize his talent and recognize the talent deficiencies of Keenum.

I'm not bringing Goff along slowly unless he needs to be brought along slowly. And none of us are in a position to judge whether or not he needs to be brought along slowly at this juncture. If Goff is ready, I play him.
Check your history of QBs. The only reason you throw them in the fire is when you have no other option. The Rams have other options...they are Keenum and Foles.

Rather than argue the point realize no one made the move to take Foles from the Rams, so I think this is the depth chart at QB opening day:

1.Keenum

2. Foles

3. Goff

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Check your history of QBs. The only reason you throw them in the fire is when you have no other option. The Rams have other options...they are Keenum and Foles.

Rather than argue the point realize no one made the move to take Foles from the Rams, so I think this is the depth chart at QB opening day:

1.Keenum

2. Foles

3. Goff

There were reports later year, that Mannion actually helped Foles learn the new system.
The rookie helping the young vet.

Mannion is staying imo. He's probably the smartest returning qb we have.

RamWoodie

Legend
There were reports later year, that Mannion actually helped Foles learn the new system.
The rookie helping the young vet.

Mannion is staying imo. He's probably the smartest returning qb we have.
I was one screaming to give Mannion a shot. Why they didn't, I don't know. I didn't include Mannion because I don't think the Rams hold 4 QBs. If they can move Foles, maybe they keep him.

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi
Read my post again. I never said Goff could not read defenses, in fact I pointed to the fact that the spread system he played in required he read defenses

I stand on what I said...it's best to bring him on slowly. College "pre-snap" and NFL "pre-snap" are totally different animals. Furthermore...don't you find it interesting that two of the greats right now (Brady and Rodgers), didn't get thrown right into the fire?

Put this down..."Fisher will start with Keenum under center."...and Surely you jest if you believe Goff is the best prospect since Peyton...recall a guy named Andrew Luck...Goff isn't even close to where Luck was as a rookie. Let's not go overboard!

Nope, I've been doing this for a long time and Goff is a better prospect than Luck. Most people can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that there are certain traits that the best QBs have. Montana, Brady, Manning none of those three are huge guys and nine have cannons for arms. Luck is one of the more overrated QB prospects that has come out. Don't get me wrong he is a very good QB, but he's not going to be in that top tier pantheon.

Goff is quite reminiscent of all those QBs in terms of his pocket presence. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but I do scoff when all the "experts" claim that Wentz had more upside than Goff, despite Goff's QB game looking a lot like Montana, Brady, and Manning and Wentz's not looking anything like their game.

RamWoodie

Legend
Nope, I've been doing this for a long time and Goff is a better prospect than Luck.
Now you're really out there. I won't even respond to that. Every draft guru I've listened to says Goff is NOT ready to start...and that includes Kiper (whom I often disregard. I've seen the kid. He has a nice accurate arm...but no...NOT EVEN close to Luck coming out. With that response I simply have to conclude you have a Cal bias. Having a bias is not a bad thing *IF* one admits their bias. Why was He not able to beat the better teams in the PAC 12???
Most people can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that there are certain traits that the best QBs have. Montana, Brady, Manning none of those three are huge guys and nine have cannons for arms. Luck is one of the more overrated QB prospects that has come out. Don't get me wrong he is a very good QB, but he's not going to be in that top tier pantheon.
I've been watching football for over 50 years. I've seen some GREAT QBs my friend...and I say Luck was not over-rated by any stretch...but he's not the topic...Goff is. Lucks first year was outstanding his first 3 years...then in year 4 the Colts OLine was the issue. Watch him this year...he bounces back!
Goff is quite reminiscent of all those QBs in terms of his pocket presence. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but I do scoff when all the "experts" claim that Wentz had more upside than Goff, despite Goff's QB game looking a lot like Montana, Brady, and Manning and Wentz's not looking anything like their game.
Time will tell who was right...because I also gave Wentz the nod over Goff. Goff looks NOTHING like Montana!
I've seen A LOT of QBs in 50 years. There are 2 QBs Goff reminds me of...he's a taller version of Bob Griese and Dan Pastorini two very accurate passers. As for Brady...nope...Goff has better mobility than Brady but no where near the mobility of Montana.

With that....I'll remember this encounter...time will tell who's right.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was one screaming to give Mannion a shot. Why they didn't, I don't know. I didn't include Mannion because I don't think the Rams hold 4 QBs. If they can move Foles, maybe they keep him.
No way Rams keep Foles over Mannion. Ain't happening. Foles is most likely going to get the boot! I think we all saw enough from him.

nighttrain

Legend
i think Foles is gone even if it's a camp cut, but hopefully it's a trade:rimshot:
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1.Keenum

2. Foles

3. Goff

I know my history quite well. And I don't consider Foles or Keenum to be options you sit a #1 overall QB for. But here's a list of QBs thrown into the fire since Peyton Manning was drafted who had successful careers:
Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Ben Roethlisberger
Cam Newton
Teddy Bridgewater (so far)
Jameis Winston (so far)
Marcus Mariota (so far)
Andrew Luck
Andy Dalton
Derek Carr (so far)
Blake Bortles (so far)
Ryan Tannehill

That's a list with a lot of successful QBs on it. You'll also notice that most of the young QBs are on it. Because teams aren't sitting QBs anymore.

All of these teams had bad options that they could have stuck with but they felt that starting their rookie QB was the better move and that their rookie QB was ready. Bortles is the only one out of this group who I really felt they were wrong about. But it didn't ruin his career.

And when you look at this list, guys like Flacco, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Wilson, Luck, and Dalton got their teams to the playoffs as rookies.(RGIII did too but he hasn't had a successful career...for other reasons)

RamWoodie

Legend
I know my history quite well. And I don't consider Foles or Keenum to be options you sit a #1 overall QB for. But here's a list of QBs thrown into the fire since Peyton Manning was drafted who had successful careers:
Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Ben Roethlisberger
Cam Newton
Teddy Bridgewater (so far)
Jameis Winston (so far)
Marcus Mariota (so far)
Andrew Luck
Andy Dalton
Derek Carr (so far)
Blake Bortles (so far)
Ryan Tannehill

That's a list with a lot of successful QBs on it. You'll also notice that most of the young QBs are on it. Because teams aren't sitting QBs anymore.

All of these teams had bad options that they could have stuck with but they felt that starting their rookie QB was the better move and that their rookie QB was ready. Bortles is the only one out of this group who I really felt they were wrong about. But it didn't ruin his career.

And when you look at this list, guys like Flacco, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Wilson, Luck, and Dalton got their teams to the playoffs as rookies.(RGIII did too but he hasn't had a successful career...for other reasons)
You call that history?? That's recent history my friend. I won't even bother to present you a list. Like I said (and you reiterate), NECESSITY put them out there...with the exception of Russell Wilson.

This aint hard...watch and see...Goff will sit. Mainly because Keenum is more than adequate to get it done.