1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by RamBill, May 1, 2014.

1. jjab360 Well-Known Member

Rodgers is the only one of those to be taken in the first round, and Favre was in his late 30's at the time. You take a QB in the first round, and that says you don't believe in Bradford. As for why it's different from other positions, it's because only one QB can be on the field at a time and you usually don't rotate them. It's not the same as an O-lineman, D-lineman, linebacker, or receiver where you can share PT amongst players.

It'd be like drafting a K or P in the 5th round. It shows you no longer have confidence in that player and are looking to move on.

Alan likes this.
  2. -X- I'm the dude, man.

I have over one million ROD dollars. Your argument is invalid.

[​IMG]

Prime Time likes this.
  3. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I'm okay with Bridgewater at #13.

Leagueofshadows and OnceARam like this.
  4. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Well that was certainly inspired. [​IMG]

5. jrry32 Well-Known Member

_
    I'd like to make a better post but I can't figure out how to post youtube videos that skip to a certain time (#t=--m---s) without the site automatically changing the link so that it removes the time I want to skip to.

6. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Just post the link.

7. jrry32 Well-Known Member

It automatically changes it to the media.

8. max Well-Known Member

I knew that.

But I assume you are ok with moving Bradford out if we pick Bridgewater at #13.

You do see that Sam is out if Teddy is in. Right?

9. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Well, then I guess you're going to have to challenge everyone's technological abilities by posting the video and making them FFW to the time you want. I estimate about 99% of the board will be able to do it. Someone will have to give @Alan the play-by-play later.

LesBaker and jrry32 like this.
  10. jrry32 Well-Known Member

No. I see a Brees/Rivers situation if Bradford comes back strong. And at that point, we decide who we want to keep. If Bradford doesn't come back the same from the ACL injury and gets hurt again, we have our QB of the future.

-X- likes this.
  11. Alan Well-Known Member

Good luck with that working. :ROFLMAO:
    Although if you catch me in the morning there's a small chance. Not before my first pot of coffee though. :coffee:

12. Speeps Well-Known Member

I generally like Polian...but what a mess.

13. wrstdude Well-Known Member

Ugh-I see both sides. The problem w/ selecting one of the QBs @ 13 is you lose a player that the team needs to help the QB you selected succeed. Assuming, of course, Bradford doesn't pan out. And why didn't Bradford pan out? I think most on this site would agree that it was due to improper support.

Would the Rams, by selecting a QB @ 13 be repeating the same mistakes as the past? I would say, and I think most would agree, that the QB selected would be in a better position than Bradford was drafted into. However, if Bradford doesn't pan out, is there a guarantee that Schotty sticks around? So the new QB would be potentially learning multiple offenses as well. Starting to sound eerily familiar.

Alan likes this.
  14. moklerman Warner-phile

C'mon X, in football it always boils down to not having two roosters in the henhouse. You draft a QB near the top 10 and there's no way it isn't going to cause problems for the incumbent.

The Rams have Bradford under contract for 2 more years and have a proven, pretty effective backup in Shaun Hill. Using a high pick on a QB this year is not hedging one's bets, it's a waste of a valuable pick. He's not going to get any snaps in camp and if he does get a chance to play, the season's probably over anyway.

The smart approach for the Rams is to move forward with Bradford, use whatever resources they've got to continue building around him and if he gets hurt real bad again, decide what to do next year. They still have him under contract for next year and if worse comes to worse, he can bridge the gap for whatever QB the get next year. Maybe they don't get the #1 overall pick but if they lose Bradford and Hill like in your scenario, things will be bad enough that they'll be picking near the top 10 and they can then get whatever QB is available. Or even a FA.

15. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Yeah, I don't see it that way, and I've explained why.
    Nothing really left to say about it, other than I want my plan B accelerated instead of searching for it.

16. max Well-Known Member

The Brees/Rivers situation was different.

Rivers was understood to be the future. Brees was a placeholder until Rivers was ready. Brees was bad in 2003, 11 TDs, 15 INTs, 67.5 rating. It was Brees' 3rd year and the Chargers planned on moving on from him. So the Chargers weren't even thinking about undermining Brees, they planned on shipping him out when Rivers was ready. And then Brees had a great year in 2004, so they stuck with him another year until he got hurt and then he was dumped.

It's different with Bradford. The Rams are saying Sam is our guy. If they draft Teddy at #13, not many players will believe that Sam is the guy. And that not only undermines Bradford, it tells Bradford that Fisher BSed him.

For the life of me, I have no idea why some of you guys don't get this when every ex-GM and media guy gets it. Casserly gets it, Polian gets it, Clayton gets it, Mortensen gets it, and Schefter gets it. If they draft Bridgewater at #13, Bradford is gone. But, its all a moot point. They aren't picking Bridgwater at #13, and I'll bet every ROD dollar I have on it with anyone willing to call me on it.

17. moklerman Warner-phile

I think you were right when you said you just don't get it. Not being snarky, but you seem to think these guys are above emotion. Too many times it's been proven that QB's don't excel when they're looking over their shoulder.

18. -X- I'm the dude, man.

I don't think anyone is asserting they will. It's just a discussion about the pros and cons of just such a scenario.
    It's okay to be okay with the idea, right? Just like it's okay to NOT be okay with it.
    Some think it would be cool. Others don't. It's board life.

Username likes this.
  19. flv 

I understand your point of view. Either we take a QB or we don't. Many fans take the view that we should be all in with Bradford and if Hill ends up having to play so be it. If Bradford is physically healthy in camp and he's mentally over it and he's playing well and he can stay healthy then great. Unfortunately Bradford isn't a certainty in 2015 and some of us want a back-up plan. If we take another QB I want the best value for money back-up plan rather than the cheapest, the most expensive, the after thought, or emergency plan. QB isn't what i'd like us to select in the 1st round but I won't be shocked or disappointed if management take a different view.
    Most years i'd be phlegmatic about things. I can sit sit through developmental years and I can even take unexpected disappointments. This year is different to me because we're a borderline playoff team with a clear issue at QB. I can live with Bradford playing badly, the team playing badly, injuries happening, poor officiating, dumb bad luck and the like, but if I have to sit through Hill leading us to 8-8 because Bradford misses significant time and we didn't plan for it it'll be hard for me to take. I'd rather put a rookie in there for several games kick-start his development. If he progresses it's a plus. If he doesn't we were going to get another QB anyway.
    I didn't think we could make the playoffs last year so I was encouraged rather than gutted with our 2013 season. I'd be gutted if we had a similar 2014.

-X- likes this.
  20. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Yes. I do think they're above (that kind of petty) emotion. Or at the very least should be. I know it could be a tense situation, but would you prefer your starter to never be challenged by anyone? Or be a pouter and mail it in IF challenged? I wouldn't even be entertaining this if it wasn't for the half-seasons of missed time on two separate occasions. It seems others would prefer that he suffer a career-ending injury before the Rams try to get a contingency plan in place.