Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you're cool with Shaun Hill this year and some other washed up never-was next year, then okay. I'm not though. At some point (maybe soon), we're going to need a legitimate starting caliber QB to take the reins, and we won't have the resources to get one. Think about all the teams in the league, right now, who are in that boat already.

I can't get on this page with you, X.

I think you need to decide; is Sam your starter or not? Then stop right there.

Is he?

If yes, then at 13 you must get a starter. (Heck, anything 3 round or less should be a starter!).

If no, then move Bradford.

Keeping Bradford but picking a QB with a premium pick isn't what a 4th place team can afford to do. It's also not very decisive and potentially divisive to the construction of your roster.

If Sam falls apart, don't worry, we WILL be in range of the top QBs in the 2015 draft!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
what does the draft class look like for QB's next year...anyone have a thought?
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/QB

Bryce Petty
Sean Mannion
Taylor Kelly
Andrew Manley
Chuckie Keeton
injury.gif

Hutson Mason
Braxton Miller
Bryan Bennett
Cole Stoudt
Anthony Boone

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're right of course. I forgot his salary wasn't guaranteed this year. They're still on the hook for his $7M in dead money though?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't get on this page with you, X.

I think you need to decide; is Sam your starter or not? Then stop right there.

Is he?

If yes, then at 13 you must get a starter. (Heck, anything 3 round or less should be a starter!).

If no, then move Bradford.

Keeping Bradford but picking a QB with a premium pick isn't what a 4th place team can afford to do. It's also not very decisive and potentially divisive to the construction of your roster.

If Sam falls apart, don't worry, we WILL be in range of the top QBs in the 2015 draft!
I didn't think many people would be on the same page as me with regards to this scenario.

I can decide Sam is my QB and be fine with that. But. I can also hedge my bets despite the millions of "needs" this team has elsewhere and the fact we finished 4th in the division (largely because our starting QB went down again). I don't view it as being indecisive given the injury history. I view it as being smart. Of course they can cover their asses by drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round, but the odds of that working out decreases exponentially every round you wait. The roster will be fine, because Bridgewater isn't someone you have to change your offense to accommodate. Per your last line, how is that true? We lost Sam last year and now hold the #13 pick. If we lose him again, why would we do any worse? This is supposed to be a better 'TEAM' than it was last year, right?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks. I'll defer to you on all salary cap issues henceforth. ;)

A55VA6

Legend
I like Bridgewater, but when I think of our division, who do you feel more comfortable with going to SF or Seattle in an important game and doing enough to win? I think i'd prefer Bradford over Bridgewater.

But really, you never know how a player will play at the NFL level. Some guys play better in the NFL than they did in college, some guys plummet when they hit the league. If we were to take a QB for some reason in the 1st round, I would prefer Manziel over Bridgewater. But honestly, I don't see us spending a 1st rounder on a QB unless Bradford is on his way out the door.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn't think many people would be on the same page as me with regards to this scenario.

I can decide Sam is my QB and be fine with that. But. I can also hedge my bets despite the millions of "needs" this team has elsewhere and the fact we finished 4th in the division (largely because our starting QB went down again). I don't view it as being indecisive given the injury history. I view it as being smart. Of course they can cover their asses by drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round, but the odds of that working out decreases exponentially every round you wait. The roster will be fine, because Bridgewater isn't someone you have to change your offense to accommodate. Per your last line, how is that true? We lost Sam last year and now hold the #13 pick. If we lose him again, why would we do any worse? This is supposed to be a better 'TEAM' than it was last year, right?

I think finding a solid backup, is smart. That's why we signed Hill, yeah?

I do agree, I don't expect much from a 4-5 rounder. But that's where I pick one if my chips are pushed toward Sam.

And... Again, if you don't believe Sam has the ability to stay healthy - move on. I just don't agree with the message it sends the squad picking a QB high. It undermines your leader. Shows instability.

Me; stick with Sam or move on. There is no in-between position. 4th place NFL rosters can't afford insurance policies draft day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Bridgewater, but when I think of our division, who do you feel more comfortable with going to SF or Seattle in an important game and doing enough to win? I think i'd prefer Bradford over Bridgewater.

But really, you never know how a player will play at the NFL level. Some guys play better in the NFL than they did in college, some guys plummet when they hit the league. If we were to take a QB for some reason in the 1st round, I would prefer Manziel over Bridgewater. But honestly, I don't see us spending a 1st rounder on a QB unless Bradford is on his way out the door.

Agree!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I do agree, I don't expect much from a 4-5 rounder. But that's where I pick one if my chips are pushed toward Sam.

And... Again, if you don't believe Sam has the ability to stay healthy - move on. I just don't agree with the message it sends the squad picking a QB high. It undermines your leader. Shows instability.

Me; stick with Sam or move on. There is no in-between position. NFL rosters can't afford insurance policies draft day.
I respect and understand your opinion.

ldiJcng.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A very expensive insurance policy IMO.
You could purchase an insurance policy for $11.69 if you like, but the payout is going to be paltry when you need to cash it in. How much is a season worth of losses and an off-season of lamenting those losses worth? How much is it worth to avoid all that?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You could purchase an insurance policy for $11.69 if you like, but the payout is going to be paltry when you need to cash it in. How much is a season worth of losses and an off-season of lamenting those losses worth? How much is it worth to avoid all that?

About the amount we paid Shawn Hill. :sneaky:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Me; stick with Sam or move on. There is no in-between position. 4th place NFL rosters can't afford insurance policies draft day.

Well said. And I totally agree.

You sir, clearly understand leadership.

Alan

Legend
-X- reminding me of my old insurance agent:
Like everything in life, it's risk versus reward. What you say is true but if you don't think your house is going to suffer flood damage then you don't buy flood insurance. What's the worst that could happen? Sam sucks or suffers another major injury (same thing in my mind) and we lose a year. In the meantime, by not filling one of our holes with that pick we go into the season missing a key part of the puzzle. It's not like we can't draft one high next year and if we do, we'll actually need one and nothing will be wasted except another year. That could happen with this year's crop of underwhelming QBs anyway.

But, there's nothing wrong with insurance. The thing is, if you don't buy life insurance and you die your family has nothing. Not buying QB insurance this year only results in losing a year of possible development time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well said. And I totally agree.

You sir, clearly understand leadership.
When the 49ers selected Klappernick, it undermined the leadership of Smith?
When the Eagles selected Kevin Kolb, it undermined the leadership of McNabb?
When the Packers selected Aaron Rogers, it undermined the leadership of Favre?
When the Falcons selected Schaub, it undermined the leadership of Vick?

I guess I just don't get it. Are these football players or cheerleaders? If Fisher were to bring in a potentially good QB as backup (and insurance), the team would revert into a sewing circle and everyone would hate said QB and/or the coach simply by virtue of him being a good player? I wonder if everyone would feel the same way if they brought in a first round middle linebacker. Or a LT. or Clowney. Or Watkins. (We already have Jake Long, Robert Quinn and Tavon Austin).

Alan

Legend
flv on the wrong track:
Not really. Hill costs $1.75M this year.
When I talk about expense, I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about the quality player we didn't draft to fill one of our holes or set us up in the future (a Clowney/Donald like pick). That's a much bigger expense to me than mere money.