Pissing Me Off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You guys it's really one hit. The Cooks hit was not head hunting you can see it in the stills posted by @flv ..........it's not even in question.

Honestly, what I see is a guy going into the neck / head area with a prepped shoulder-charge - we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one @LesBaker - I don't think it was a clean hit, you do, I guess it's just unfortunate it happened to our leading WR and a coincidence it happened to the Raiders leading WR the following week... :unsure:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

The problem I have is that there are no arms involved, it really is just a hit - as you pointed out - and not an attempted tackle. The issues I have with it being done by a Seahawk is that it goes against EVERYTHING Coach Carrol has been talking about for years in making safe tackles, the fact that it happened two weeks on the trot to leading WRs makes the conspiracy theorist in me go crazy :sneaky:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I watched the Seahawks against the Raiders last weekend and Amari Cooper got hit in the head similar to the Cooks hit against the Rams - again NO FLAG!!! I'm sorry to sound cynical, but it looks like there is a BOUNTY on the top WRs.

Was there a flag thrown?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@Mackeyser look at the stills........look at the helmets........look where they are pointed and the height and direction.

The dude hitting Cooks is making efforts to take his helmet OUT of the play.

If you flipped the roles..........and Cooks was the defending DB preparing or setting up for contact, and SEA defender was a Rams WR most people would want a flag and fine on that play. On the guy leading with the helmet.

Honestly, what I see is a guy going into the neck / head area with a prepped shoulder-charge

You can not watch that clip and believe that was clean

He was going into his chest/side probably trying to get him to cough up the ball.

This is a perfectly legal hit.

People are just jacked about it because Cooks got hurt.

But that wasn't the defenders fault.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@Mackeyser look at the stills........look at the helmets........look where they are pointed and the height and direction.

The dude hitting Cooks is making efforts to take his helmet OUT of the play.

If you flipped the roles..........and Cooks was the defending DB preparing or setting up for contact, and SEA defender was a Rams WR most people would want a flag and fine on that play. On the guy leading with the helmet.

He was going into his chest/side probably trying to get him to cough up the ball.

This is a perfectly legal hit.

People are just jacked about it because Cooks got hurt.

But that wasn't the defenders fault.

I have, spent a fair bit of time on it.

We just disagree. It's possible to lower the head with intent to injure and miss and hit with the shoulder (just watch the Burfict video).

And no, I've been upfront about saying when Rams players should have been flagged for plays and even got into it at length (as I'm wont to do) in talking about Rams hits and why Pete Carroll's technique, later dubbed "heads up, wrap up" should be standard technique in the NFL.

I dunno about most people. I can only speak for myself and I've been consistent.

It would have been a crap hit no matter who did it.

It's even more obvious because if you watch how Seattle has been taught to play D since Pete Carroll got there, those hits stand out in high relief.

dang

Legend
It doesn’t matter if it was intentional or not. A defender leading with the helmet to an offensive players head or neck is s penalty. I doubt many players intend to do that but even though it happens in a split second and wasn’t intentional it’s illegal. Watch Joyner come into plays late leading with his helmet. It hasn’t happened to him yet this year but it will if he continues with that technique. And when it does it’s a penalty!

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Bottom line is wrs need to be taught to get their asses to the ground when they can see a defender is getting ready knock their ass out.

Cooks did lower his head and he should have gotten down sooner.

It can also be said the D player had intent to knock his ass out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys it's really one hit. The Cooks hit was not head hunting you can see it in the stills posted by @flv ..........it's not even in question.
I don’t think the pictures really show the play as it happened. If you’re Cooks and you see a guy coming at you like that, all you can do is try to get small. Personally, I have seen the play in real time and slow mo several times. I can’t see it any other way than helmet to helmet on the defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He didn't lower his head. He just didn't.
Bullshit. He absolutely did. He may not have lowered it more than Cooks but that is a big part of it. He aimed his helmet and with the angle he was heading toward Cooks, it created a situation where Cooks was going into a defensive position to avoid severe contact while the defender was targeting the head/shoulder area of Cooks. THAT is endangering the target and it should be a penalty in keeping with the goals of the rule.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don’t think the pictures really show the play as it happened. If you’re Cooks and you see a guy coming at you like that, all you can do is try to get small. Personally, I have seen the play in real time and slow mo several times. I can’t see it any other way than helmet to helmet on the defense.

It was barely helmet contact to begin with and laming it on the defender runs counter to the video at every angle. And most of the time when a defender is coming a player stiff arms or turns away.

But we agree on fuck the Seahawks and lets leave it at that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bullcrap. He absolutely did. He may not have lowered it more than Cooks but that is a big part of it. He aimed his helmet and with the angle he was heading toward Cooks, it created a situation where Cooks was going into a defensive position to avoid severe contact while the defender was targeting the head/shoulder area of Cooks. THAT is endangering the target and it should be a penalty in keeping with the goals of the rule.

Les: bullshit

503: bullshit

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It was barely helmet contact to begin with and laming it on the defender runs counter to the video at every angle. And most of the time when a defender is coming a player stiff arms or turns away.

But we agree on freak the Seahawks and lets leave it at that.
What? Barely helmet contact? I’d agree with barely before the shoulder but it was a vicious contact to the helmet. Turn up your sound and watch it. Then watch it in slow mo. You are really going to hold with that? A guy simply doesn’t lose consciousness from barely helmet contact and going at the head with your shoulder or forearms is also against player safety.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Les: bullcrap

503: bullcrap

Bullshit.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What? Barely helmet contact? I’d agree with barely before the shoulder but it was a vicious contact to the helmet. Turn up your sound and watch it. Then watch it in slow mo. You are really going to hold with that? A guy simply doesn’t lose consciousness from barely helmet contact and going at the head with your shoulder or forearms is also against player safety.

IF he was targeting the head yeah. But he wasn't. He didn't lower his head, Cooks did. That's why Cooks head was hit, he dropped down in the wrong direction. He put his head down DIRECTLY into the line of contact which was well below where it would have been if he had not lowered his head.

That isn't the fault of the defender. It isn't the fault of Cooks. It's just a play that happens in this sport sometimes.

That's all there is to it.