Pick 19 - WE HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really know why the Senior Bowl holds so much regard in draft circles. These guys get together for a week of practice and then play a game. Is an organization going to move a player up their board relying on what they saw against a player's body of work? I get it. It's a very well-run spectacle and grows every year. How much merit do you think GMs, coaches, and scouts put in it?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don't really know why the Senior Bowl holds so much regard in draft circles. These guys get together for a week of practice and then play a game. Is an organization going to move a player up their board relying on what they saw against a player's body of work? I get it. It's a very well-run spectacle and grows every year. How much merit do you think GMs, coaches, and scouts put in it?
I think its far more important for the smaller school guys that attend. They get to be sized up next to higher level NFL ready guys were they might not have played against any NFL caliber players in their career. And then there is the 1 on 1's that I'm sure the scout pay attention to. It has nothing to do with scheme or the guy next to you in those drills, you stand on your talent.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A lot.

It's not the game. It's the practices. The coaches are in complete control and are getting to see the players execute the right drills against the right competition.

On college tape, you're not necessarily seeing the player do the thing you'll be asking them to do in the NFL against people you want to see them do it against (other guys who will actually be playing in the NFL).

It's huge.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
And it’s the first Time seeing these guys as professionals….Or wanna be professionals. As opposed to just college students banging chicks and partying.

It’s a whole different mindset and level of work/dedication to make it in the NFL. If you come prepared and putting in the work leading up to these practices, it shows who wants to be a pro NFL guy and who wants to continue living like a big man on campus.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And it’s the first Time seeing these guys as professionals….Or wanna be professionals. As opposed to just college students banging chicks and partying.

It’s a whole different mindset and level of work/dedication to make it in the NFL. If you come prepared and putting in the work leading up to these practices, it shows who wants to be a pro NFL guy and who wants to continue living like a big man on campus.
Also to add, they get to see how they take coaching. Do they get a concept after being shown it once, twice, three times? Do they still continue to freelance.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... It's the practices. The coaches are in complete control and are getting to see the players execute the right drills against the right competition.

On college tape, you're not necessarily seeing the player do the thing you'll be asking them to do in the NFL against people you want to see them do it against (other guys who will actually be playing in the NFL).

I think this covers a couple of the most important reasons the Senior Bowl is valuable.

Practices under the guidance of NFL coaches; and head-to-head competition against other pro-prospects.

Just one little example.
NFLN was covering the practices and two of their guys mentioned Puka Nacua at the Senior Bowl last year. Said that no one could cover Nacua in early practices but then he was injured and could not finish-out the week or play in the game. That brief commentary illustrated part of the reason Nacua was so productive as a rookie yet lasted until pick #177.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A trade can be negotiated but if they don't with that tag it's 2 1st rounders no if's and's or but's about it.
As I posted last night ... IF an Offer Sheet is signed.

A team can negotiate with a Franchise tagged free agent, and come to a verbal agreement on a contract.

Then, NOT sign him to an offer sheet but, instead, go to the tagging-team and say ...
"We want your player and have agreed to contract terms but we are not going to give up two #1s" ...
"Can we work-out compensation that's less than two #1s?"

If the answer is No, the offer sheet is never signed; and the interested team simply walks away.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I posted last night ... IF an Offer Sheet is signed.

A team can negotiate with a Franchise tagged free agent, and come to a verbal agreement on a contract.

Then, NOT sign him to an offer sheet but, instead, go to the tagging-team and say ...
"We want your player and have agreed to contract terms but we are not going to give up two #1s" ...
"Can we work-out compensation that's less than two #1s?"

If the answer is No, the offer sheet is never signed; and the interested team simply walks away.

If the exclusive tag is used the player and his agent can't negotiate with another team without the tagging teams permission yes. What I replied to didn't have the clarification on signing the sheet :)
Additionally, each tag comes with different bargaining rights and guaranteed assets for both the player and team. Aptly named, an exclusive tag gives the team exclusive negotiating rights. Should the player reject the offer, they are unable to sign with another NFL team for that entire season. Meanwhile, non-exclusive tags allow players to negotiate with other teams. If they receive an offer, their current team has the opportunity to match. If they opt not to match the offer, they’re entitled to receive two first-round draft picks in exchange.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If the exclusive tag is used the player and his agent can't negotiate with another team without the tagging teams permission yes. What I replied to didn't have the clarification on signing the sheet :)
Excellent Point.

Truth is, I am a little frustrated with you right now.

You cut-off Jack Youngblood's head ... THAT just ain't right.

dang

Legend
I’m conceding that with all the Rams position needs they will not be paying any FA $15-20m/year. Let’s say they move some $$ around and end up with @$47m cap space.

They need LT, RG, OC, TE, WR3, QB2, EDGe, CB1, ILB, DE, and K. If lucky they fill 4 starting positions with draft picks (RG, CB1, WR3, ILB). Then they fill 4 with thrifty FAs (AJax at LT, K, QB2). With $35m left after draft class/thrifty FAs they can pick up 4 solid FAs (Edge, DE, OC, TE). Cant afford $20m for any one player.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent Point.

Truth is, I am a little frustrated with you right now.

You cut-off Jack Youngblood's head ... THAT just ain't right.
haha I noticed that just a bit ago

Back to the drawing board

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Yeah I never really cared for Milton's game but quite a few of the guys I do like in this draft hurt their stock between the week of practice and the game. Senior Bowl carries a lot of weight with teams, the ones who didn't show well are gonna feel it.
Yeah.... the game was bad ... some players didn't dress, some players played the first half and came out in street clothes in the second half. Braden Fiske (Florida St -DT ) had to switch teams in the second half because the other team was down to just 2 - DT's. Sam Hartman was forced to play most of the game at QB.
I think maybe the opposite is happening ; the NFL is rewarding the players and the agents for behaving the way they want. As long as they can play, they are getting drafted. They can stop practicing or chose not to play in late season games for their school or the all star games and there are no repercussions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Milton... Did you see any part of Senior Bowl practices or the Game? He was horrible. IMO, not even draftable
Yeah, he is a bit rough around the edges to say the least, but it would be worth it to make him a project. Again, wouldn't touch him until a later 4th or 5th, but he would be intriguing as a 3rd string project.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think it's return to fuck 'em picks to trade up inside the top 10 to get a QB with the Chargers, Giants, or TN. If the targeted QB drops below the top 10 it will probably be easier to trade up to get one. I don't think they can get a QB that fits what McVay wants at 19. So IMO they will look at other opportunities to trade for a QB in 2025.

In the second day they have 3 picks. CB, WR, OT, Edge are probably in that second day cluster depending upon how the draft develops. But the Rams are looking forward and the #1 long term priority is probably going to be Stafford's replacement beginning in 2025. It's a primary reason IMO McVay changed his offense. Do I think they could find a good one year developmental QB at 19 or in the second round? Yeah I do. But it would really come down to how well he's been scouted and what it is he needs developmental work on.

McVay's offense more than some runs through the QB who needs to be able to go through his progressions quickly and make strong accurate throws. To think the Rams are going to assume Stafford plays beyond 2024 is a crapshoot. It's why taking a QB in the first round gives them options with that 5th year they don't have with a QB taken in a lower round. A year to give to Stafford or to develop the rookie. It's why despite Stafford playing well in 2023 QB has to be a very high if not the top priority for the Rams.

It's why I've always favored Penix and Nix because both have shown the ability to read their progressions quickly and throw with accuracy.
Spongebob Squarepants No GIF

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

There's two things I love about Cooper Dejean.

First, he's got "easy" speed. Some guys have that ability to be moving while not looking like they're running hard. It's a hell of a good thing for a DB to have that and it shows when he's got the ball and when he is in coverage.

Second he has good ball awareness. That's really hard to teach, because a lot of guys when they try to do that will lose the receiver or get caught flat footed. Guys who can move well while watching the QB and still shadow the wideout and then play that ball in the air... That's a premium.

So I'll say this... If you think he's got the athleticism to play corner in this league he's a high pick. Definitely top 30. If he's a safety, he's gonna go maybe as late as round 2. And I say round 2 because as a safety he will have insane athleticism. Which means he looks like a 20-40 guy to me. And I'd love to see him in horns as a corner in particular because players who can flip the field vs the pass are a premium, and he has the look of a guy who will do that.

dang

Legend
There's two things I love about Cooper Dejean.

First, he's got "easy" speed. Some guys have that ability to be moving while not looking like they're running hard. It's a hell of a good thing for a DB to have that and it shows when he's got the ball and when he is in coverage.

Second he has good ball awareness. That's really hard to teach, because a lot of guys when they try to do that will lose the receiver or get caught flat footed. Guys who can move well while watching the QB and still shadow the wideout and then play that ball in the air... That's a premium.

So I'll say this... If you think he's got the athleticism to play corner in this league he's a high pick. Definitely top 30. If he's a safety, he's gonna go maybe as late as round 2. And I say round 2 because as a safety he will have insane athleticism. Which means he looks like a 20-40 guy to me. And I'd love to see him in horns as a corner in particular because players who can flip the field vs the pass are a premium, and he has the look of a guy who will do that.
He also looks like a guy who loves to play football and give 120% consistently. You can’t teach that. I see him as a mid to late 1st round pick. Which would mean he’s in play for the Rams if they see the value.