Pick 19 - WE HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't teams done a sign and deal situation in the past if they're motivated and agree to lesser compensation?
as long as the player doesn’t sign the franchise tag first, he could be traded.
Burns on the other hand isn’t a disgruntled player who is refusing to play on the tag.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not exactly.
If a team signs him to offer sheet, and Carolina declines to match, they are entitled to 2 1st rounders. Or comparable compensation if a team doesn’t have.
But that requires the player to agree to sign the franchise tag.
Cases like last year, when Adam’s refused to sign, they traded him for less
Yes of course. IF an Offer Sheet is signed.

But a team can negotiate with a Franchise tagged free agent, and come to a verbal agreement on a contract.

Then, NOT sign him to an offer sheet but, instead, go to the tagging-team (Carolina in this case) and say ...
"We want your player and have agreed to contract terms but we are not going to give up two #1s" ...
"Can we work-out compensation that's less than two #1s?"

If the answer is No, the offer sheet is never signed; and the interested team simply walks away.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The price is higher not lower.
Trade deadline deals are mostly limited to teams in playoff hunt.
Now the whole league has a shot.
Carolina holds the cards. And with them keeping their DC intact it’s a win/win. Burns btw has been very open to staying in Carolina
The price is definitely not higher. I feel like I can assure you of that (technically I can't lol). The Rams were considered insane when they even offered it. Now, He had a down year and the Panthers have Free agency to compete with. Plenty of edge options there. Most teams aren't going to trade away two firsts and then pay Burns. He's not that kinda pass rusher IMO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Burns on the other hand isn’t a disgruntled player who is refusing to play on the tag.
This excerpt is from the Charlotte Observer 3 weeks ago:

Monday marked the beginning of Burns’ 2024 offseason, one swirling with about as much uncertainty as there possibly can be. The 6-foot-5, 249-pound outside linebacker is now a free agent — and the charismatic defensive captain is unsure of his future in Carolina.

When asked if he wants to stay in Carolina, he didn’t need a second thought.

“Yeah, that’s the plan,” he said. “But you know, ain’t no telling what’s going to happen.”

He added: “The best thing I can do is be ready. So if it does turn out that they do want to keep me here, and I stay, I’m ready. And if it turns out that I have to go somewhere else, then I’m definitely ready for that too. As long as I’m ready for it at any angle, I’m fine with that.”

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
One guy I'm becoming more interested in in the first round is Darius Robinson from Miss.
He's just the kind of versatile Edge that would be a shit-ton of fun to have on a D. Not only can he be an edge.. he can easily move inside on passing downs.
I can easily imagine the Rams adding him and Danielle Hunter... My goodness.. the options that front could have.
I like Robinson also. Although, I see him as a pure 5T, or typical 3-4 DE. I don't think he is athletic or light enough to play in space. And, I think 19th overall is a little rich. I would consider him in the second round.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I'm good with trading back.. but they don't need to do it too much this year. I think a combo of trading back and trading up could net them 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. I like the sound of that.
Yes! I totally agree. I have always thought getting 4 picks in the Top 100 moves you ahead of the competition

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes of course. IF an Offer Sheet is signed.

But a team can negotiate with a Franchise tagged free agent, and come to a verbal agreement on a contract.

Then, NOT sign him to an offer sheet but, instead, go to the tagging-team (Carolina in this case) and say ...
"We want your player and have agreed to contract terms but we are not going to give up two #1s" ...
"Can we work-out compensation that's less than two #1s?"

If the answer is No, the offer sheet is never signed; and the interested team simply walks away.
Feel like it's happened a few times. Prob not likely though.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Feel like it's happened a few times. Prob not likely though.
It happens.
A team does not want to lose a pending free agent, without getting some compensation. So it uses the Franchise Tag.

@dieterbrock is right ... things change if the player signs the tag, or if another team signs the player to an offer sheet. However, if the tag is applied, things can still be worked-out.

Jadeveon Clowney, Frank Clark and Jarvis Landry come to mind. I think Dee Ford. Maybe Yannick Ngakoue.

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I would rather take a flyer in the 4th or 5th on Joe Milton. Size, arm strength, and athleticism with upside. Granted very raw and might never turn out, but he has stuff you can't teach. The problem is you would have to carry 3 QBs because he can't back up this yr. Of course, I don't think McCarthy could either, or for that matter any rookie if you want a guy that can help get you to the playoffs if needed.
Milton... Did you see any part of Senior Bowl practices or the Game? He was horrible. IMO, not even draftable

WestCoastRam

Legend
It happens.
A team does not want to lose a pending free agent, without getting some compensation. So it uses the Franchise Tag.

@dieterbrock is right ... things change if the player signs the tag, or if another team signs the player to an offer sheet. However, if the tag is applied, things can still be worked-out.

Jadeveon Clowney, Frank Clark and Jarvis Landry come to mind. I think Dee Ford. Maybe Yannick Ngakoue.
Most players don't sign the tag till late in the offseason, no?

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
BPA BPA BPA!

I sort of hope to see a few trades to get more volume like last year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Most players don't sign the tag till late in the offseason, no?
I'd say the majority do not sign for some time after being tagged.

Who knows what Burns is thinking, or being advised.

I believe the Franchise Tag for an Edge is projected to be around $23M. That's huge!
However, I also believe the guaranteed-$ on recent long-tern deals signed by top Edge-players is $50M-$70M.

I don't expect Brian Burns will be a Ram in 2024. Just thought your initial post from earlier had some merit. Don't know what Carolina's Ownership, Management and new GM Dan Morgan think and plan for the future.

Both Spotrac and OTC have the Rams and Panthers with about the same amount of cap space. Carolina can absolutely franchise tag Burns but it will be a huge cost. They don't have a #1 pick. It's not unreasonable that the Panthers might consider a mid-first round choice and $23M of cap space to sign multiple free agents, could be more valuable than retaining one stud player.

By-the-way, even if that is the case, and the Rams were interested ... they would probably not be alone.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With the way the Rams use a host of analytics in an uncommon manner (the way they killed this draft is unreasonable to assume even with Snead and his crew), I dunno if we can prescribe rounds to players. If the 2023 draft was today, how would Puka Nacua get out of the top 5 let alone make it to the last pick of the 5th round?

Point being that while everyone else is doing business one way, the Rams essentially unveiled a different measuring stick with incredible results.

Which means… we are likely to see things that none of us expect and we don’t see anyone else talking about.

Expect the unexpected because this new system hasn’t even been modeled yet by other teams… and because it’s seemingly based on less common metrics, it may be harder for other teams to catch up

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Milton... Did you see any part of Senior Bowl practices or the Game? He was horrible. IMO, not even draftable
Yeah I never really cared for Milton's game but quite a few of the guys I do like in this draft hurt their stock between the week of practice and the game. Senior Bowl carries a lot of weight with teams, the ones who didn't show well are gonna feel it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the way the Rams use a host of analytics in an uncommon manner (the way they killed this draft is unreasonable to assume even with Snead and his crew), I dunno if we can prescribe rounds to players. If the 2023 draft was today, how would Puka Nacua get out of the top 5 let alone make it to the last pick of the 5th round?

Point being that while everyone else is doing business one way, the Rams essentially unveiled a different measuring stick with incredible results.

Which means… we are likely to see things that none of us expect and we don’t see anyone else talking about.

Expect the unexpected because this new system hasn’t even been modeled yet by other teams… and because it’s seemingly based on less common metrics, it may be harder for other teams to catch up

I agree with what your saying about analytics,but The Rams put value on players & rounds.

Les Snead works the board as well as anybody.The Rams

My gut tells me The Rams will take a player in the first rd & might even move up.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I think the bottom line is that the draft is still highly variable.

It's really hard to project how some guys will perform at the next level.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
My first thought (and 2nd and 3rd) was to agree with you but @WestCoastRam may have something here.

There's a bunch of "IFs", and it's far from likely but maybe not Bat-Crap-Crazy. Here me out.

Edge is a huge need. The top free agents (Allen and Burns) figure to get tagged. Carolina could use some draft capital; and a mid-first round pick, plus cap space just might be enough for the Panthers to let Burns go.

I would love one of the top-three-OL but Alt, Fuaga and Fashanu all figure to be gone by #19.
Also a big fan (still early) of three DBs in Wiggins, Mitchell and DeJean but they could also be gone at #19.

The top Edge players (again, still very early) appear to be Latu, Turner, Verse, Robinson and Trice.
Personally, I like Turner but this group does not excite me as much as the above three OL and three DBs.

Now a foursome of Burns and Young at Edge, with Donald and Turner at DL seems fantastic to me.

Burns will be costly but the contract could be structured for a reasonable cap hit in years 1 and 2; and then jump-up when several of the Rams' current big contracts come-off-the-books.

Finally, there is age to consider. Despite playing five seasons, Brian Burns will only be 26 in 2024.
Burns is actually one month younger than Byron Young, and just one year older than Kobie Turner.

Of course, it's unlikely but it's kind of fun to think about.
As much as I'd love it, I don't think we sniff Turner at #19. He seems to be viewed as the top edge without the huge injury questions like Latu. IMO, Latu is the best pass rusher period, but has an enormous risk attached to him. He may be there at 19 for us and, if our doctors sign off on him, he could be the steal of the 1st round.
I’m a Rams fan homer so what do I know. Well maybe a little bit - 1) Rams backup QBs since drafting Goff have been horsesh#! - Automatic losses 2) Wentz looked healthy and may have some real gas left in the tank 3) Rams are all in for 2025 so I don’t see any QB worth a darn bring drafted this year. 4) Spitballing but contemplating if Wentz can fill a need and be another weapon to the arsenal.
I'd only disagree with one guy of that list, Baker. He was a very quality back up. Won some games all while having almost no weapons.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It’s still a possibility that the Organization still sees Bennet as an option.

I may be wrong, but isn’t he still a Ram?
I don't recall seeing anything regarding him being released.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really want our offense to continue to grow and succeed. Look at our '17/'18/'21/'23 years. Whats the common denominator?

If our OL remains strong, Stafford and the running game will thrive. But if our weapons get worse, the passing game will get stagnant.

I think an elite WR is the call at 19. A pure 1st round talent, elite athlete. People might say no need when we get Kupp and Puka mid draft, but how long can we keep that going? We need a game changer because I fear Kupp will never be the same with all the milage and turning 31 before next yr.

WR
OLB
CB

The only acceptable answers IMO.