Pick 19 - WE HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
By all means, do that then! Would not be that limiting to our cap and would retain a top 10 guard in the NFL. Yes please.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I have started listening to our options from various podcasts my takeaway depends on what we do in FA.

We have 2 biggest areas of need OLB and CB. If somehow we can get Burns or Allen it will require our #1 at a minimum precluding us from having a pick in the first is that worth it?

My thoughts:

Not sure there is any OLB in the draft like a Hutchinson or Anderson this year. There are 3 that have been mentioned 2 of the 3 tend to be listed to be picked before we pick neither feel great. Latu from UCLA for the most part not in every draft is there around #19 he had career ending neck injury at Wash he transfers to UCLA and is cleared I would be worried. To me we need a FA OLB and Deneal Hunter seems to be our best option a lot older than Burns or Allen but won't cost us any draft capital.

In terms of CB Jaire Alexander or Jaylon Johnson they are the only 2 superstar CBs and both are under contract I doubt we get either. I would grab one of the CBs at #19 or possibly trade back a little get and pick up a 4th rounder. There are 4 or 5 prospects CBs and no clear cut top choice I would lean on the scouting dept to find the gem in the bunch. Me I like Cooper Dejean.

I've heard about trading up for Bowers - that's too far up 10+ spots not happening. The Center Powers is a interesting choice might be able to trade back a little and get him even though I have seen him mocked at #20.

LT similar to OLB there are 4-5 prospects no clear cut Penei Sewell type. I have seen 3 of them mocked as the top OLman starting around 6th - 9th range. The question is do we need one? The million dollar question is Alaric Jackson good enough or should we grab one and move Jackson to LG and Avila to Center.

No on QB, DT, IOL, WR, S, TE, RB eliminate all of them from consideration for a host of reasons at #19.

My goal for the pick:

I would try to get a major upgrade in FA at OLB our big spend and draft at #19 or drop back to the mid 20s to grab one of the CBs or Powers.

I worry if we try for the super home run on Allen he will cost us too much ala Ramsey. Burns stats were way down from the previous year. Hunter even though much older will cost us less and be just as productive imo. The issue is his age and how quick his dropoff happens.

What I wouldn't do is trade out of the first sure we save 5 million but we lose a 5th year option on a potential star player. Last time we traded back we got Rapp was it worth it versus all the players we could have.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm seeing a number of mocks having Cooper DeJean going to us at #19. I'd be fine with that as we need a legit CB. But would he be ready for the speed of the NFL in year one? We expect to be a contender in 2024. A rookie at an important position does concern me.

In the highlights he does a good job of closing quickly when a receiver cuts out or in. But the NFL is not college. QB's have stronger arms and better timing with receivers.

For the future of the position and possibly having a quality corner locked down for five years I'd be fine with the pick. But I think they should be targeting an experienced CB in free agency just in case it takes time for him to adapt to the nuances of playing in the NFL.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That would be great for us. Another quality prospect would fall.
Yeah, I'm skeptical of McCarthy. He's a bit of a mystery box.

Not a fan of Nix but he could be a developmental guy. Penix intrigues but he's got major warts beyond the injuries (gotta be able to operate over the middle of the field!) but I'd be down with those guys in the 3rd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Interesting. Hope we're not one of them.

Nix certainly is a round 2-3 or maybe later type. Penix almost surely drops (to round 2) because of medical concerns, I mean no matter how you slice it the guy has had multiple significant injuries. But McCarthy up high in that top ten range is very funny to me because you're making a lot of assumptions that the guy will be able to handle a higher pass volume and maybe survive vs smarter and faster and better defenses without a run game like the one he was protected by at Michigan.

Once again there are two types of QB in this league. There are QBs who can be productive and win you games without the benefit of a ground threat. And there is everyone else. McCarthy going top ten says you think he could be the former which is an enormous gamble.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Yeah, I'm skeptical of McCarthy. He's a bit of a mystery box.

Not a fan of Nix but he could be a developmental guy. Penix intrigues but he's got major warts beyond the injuries (gotta be able to operate over the middle of the field!) but I'd be down with those guys in the 3rd.
Oh yes, in the 3rd I'd be VERY in favor of us drafting either of those guys. Now that is value. Both of them could very well be the successor to Stafford. Do I think either of them is available in the 3rd, not a chance. I'd bet that a team like the Pats trades either into the late 1st or top of the 2nd to grab one and draft Harrison Jr with their pick. Or vice versa with the Commodes. Atlanta also still needs to find a QB answer, badly.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Oh yes, in the 3rd I'd be VERY in favor of us drafting either of those guys. Now that is value. Both of them could very well be the successor to Stafford. Do I think either of them is available in the 3rd, not a chance. I'd bet that a team like the Pats trades either into the late 1st or top of the 2nd to grab one and draft Harrison Jr with their pick. Or vice versa with the Commodes. Atlanta also still needs to find a QB answer, badly.
Their QBs in a league that always needs them so I usually suspect that QBs get drafted a round earlier than what they would normally. I So I can see Nix/Penix going in the 2nd when they may be more 3rd round guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Their QBs in a league that always needs them so I usually suspect that QBs get drafted a round earlier than what they would normally. I So I can see Nix/Penix going in the 2nd when they may be more 3rd round guys.
For myself I presume Penix is a possibility if he's there at our pick in round 2. I see him as an early round 2 QB value due to the injuries but if he slides to us I have to think he's in consideration.

Nix probably a round later, so let's say round 3 since we have two of them but no round 4 pick. I think the player quality in round 2 is still too high to take him over, given the questions re: his ability to look and throw deep. But I presume he is in consideration for us at some point if he sticks around on the board because I like that he rebuilt his career after a poor start, that shows resilience. And he improved through the Senior Bowl week. So having him behind Stafford on the depth chart, learning the ropes and all that, would be quite nice.

McCarthy I'd have somewhere between Penix and Nix. The guy has value but he is not even remotely in Penix's class as a playmaker from the pocket. Not even close.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For myself I presume Penix is a possibility if he's there at our pick in round 2. I see him as an early round 2 QB value due to the injuries but if he slides to us I have to think he's in consideration.

Nix probably a round later, so let's say round 3 since we have two of them but no round 4 pick. I think the player quality in round 2 is still too high to take him over, given the questions re: his ability to look and throw deep. But I presume he is in consideration for us at some point if he sticks around on the board because I like that he rebuilt his career after a poor start, that shows resilience. And he improved through the Senior Bowl week. So having him behind Stafford on the depth chart, learning the ropes and all that, would be quite nice.

McCarthy I'd have somewhere between Penix and Nix. The guy has value but he is not even remotely in Penix's class as a playmaker from the pocket. Not even close.
I think if you believe that Penix's pocket movement can be improved (he can sorta run, but the movement seems to be an ish), that his problems throwing over the middle can be cleaned up and that you don't care that he doesn't create out of structure, than I think you can take him in the 2nd if you're a team in need of a QB.

I'm just not so sure I take him for those reasons AND the fact that we're not needy right now except at backup QB. All things being equal, I'd prefer a backup QB who can create more out of structure.

My guess on Penix is he actually goes around pick 50-60ish. Nix anywhere from 60-90ish.

Of course, medicals at combine could throw a wrench in all this.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Discussions over where Penix, McCarthy and Nix are going to get selected should be a ton-of-fun around here.

Early opinions seem to vary greatly.

The Combine is three weeks from tomorrow. The official start of Free Agency is five weeks from yesterday.

The NFL off-season is great!

Ramon Ram

Starter
Harbaugh understandingly predicting McCarthy as the #1 QB off the board. Knowing that won't happen, will be interesting to see how high he goes. At 19 he could be a steal for the ages if he is that good.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm seeing a number of mocks having Cooper DeJean going to us at #19. I'd be fine with that as we need a legit CB. But would he be ready for the speed of the NFL in year one? We expect to be a contender in 2024. A rookie at an important position does concern me.

In the highlights he does a good job of closing quickly when a receiver cuts out or in. But the NFL is not college. QB's have stronger arms and better timing with receivers.

For the future of the position and possibly having a quality corner locked down for five years I'd be fine with the pick. But I think they should be targeting an experienced CB in free agency just in case it takes time for him to adapt to the nuances of playing in the NFL.
I mean, Devon Witherspoon, Derek Stingley and Sauce Gardner all dominated 1st year. Not worried about a rookie corner. Worried about the right rookie corner.

But yeah, I think they def bring in one if not two vet corners in FA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if you believe that Penix's pocket movement can be improved (he can sorta run, but the movement seems to be an ish), that his problems throwing over the middle can be cleaned up and that you don't care that he doesn't create out of structure, than I think you can take him in the 2nd if you're a team in need of a QB.

I'm just not so sure I take him for those reasons AND the fact that we're not needy right now except at backup QB. All things being equal, I'd prefer a backup QB who can create more out of structure.

My guess on Penix is he actually goes around pick 50-60ish. Nix anywhere from 60-90ish.

Of course, medicals at combine could throw a wrench in all this.
I don't agree with this concept that Penix can't throw over the middle. I think what he has, which is strong natural passing instincts as it pertains to attacking defenses downfield, is hard to teach. And he also has balls. Which is impossible to teach. Those two elements in combination are a real rarity in this age of shitty screen throwing coward QBs who crap their fucking pants when they have to hold the ball in the pocket.

The injuries are real though. So I think he slides from the top ten pick his film says he is. How far will he slide, well, I agree medicals are gonna determine all this. But being able to win from the pocket is a big deal. So he's not gonna last long unless that medical stuff is significantly not in his favor.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't agree with this concept that Penix can't throw over the middle. I think what he has, which is strong natural passing instincts as it pertains to attacking defenses downfield, is hard to teach. And he also has balls. Which is impossible to teach. Those two elements in combination are a real rarity in this age of shitty screen throwing coward QBs who crap their fucking pants when they have to hold the ball in the pocket.

The injuries are real though. So I think he slides from the top ten pick his film says he is. How far will he slide, well, I agree medicals are gonna determine all this. But being able to win from the pocket is a big deal. So he's not gonna last long unless that medical stuff is significantly not in his favor.

View: https://twitter.com/redwardsradio/status/1743337515913023809

Not saying that this is a deal breaker but it's an issue. Sounds like he avoided the middle of the field too at Mobile in practices. Was that part of the script? Was that him. Questions. I have questions.

BTW, our entire offense since McVay has gotten here is predicated on throws over the middle. It's a staple. It's the one thing you have to be able to do in this offense. The one thing that's never changed in all the years he's been here.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Will Brian Thomas be available when the Rams pick 19. If he is he'll be a very nice piece in the Offense. Don't see McVay passing on him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not saying that this is a deal breaker but it's an issue. Sounds like he avoided the middle of the field too at Mobile in practices. Was that part of the script? Was that him. Questions. I have questions.

BTW, our entire offense since McVay has gotten here is predicated on throws over the middle. It's a staple. It's the one thing you have to be able to do in this offense. The one thing that's never changed in all the years he's been here.
Paralysis by overanalysis. Kid plays in an offense that can sideline teams to death with its weapons and he throws a vicious back shoulder. He'd do just fine in this offense throwing to Kupp & Nacua over the middle.

It's all about the medical with Penix IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Paralysis by overanalysis. Kid plays in an offense that can sideline teams to death with its weapons and he throws a vicious back shoulder. He'd do just fine in this offense throwing to Kupp & Nacua over the middle.

It's all about the medical with Penix IMO.

Yeah - dude is smooth & throws a pretty ball.Wonder if Carson has a future still w/ The Rams though ? Zac Robinson is going to be missed.He really got QB’s ready quick for games.