PFF: Top 10 Free Agents 2024 (All Positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Don't forget about the Bills edge A J Epenesa either. He is a free agent that has looked very good at times. Von Miler, Floyd... they can't pay everybody.
Espensa>Floyd>Miller as far as bang for the buck at this time. For Miller it may be time to go back to chasing chickens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Espensa>Floyd>Miller as far as bang for the buck at this time. For Miller it may be time to go back to chasing chickens.
Miller is so full of shit. Only thing he chases is tail. That dude is dirty as a sailor. :laugh3:

If he ends up cut the question of whether he's got a year left in him comes down to whether he's willing to dope like I suspect he did for our title run. Yes I know many will freak at such a suggestion. But the guy went from sleepwalking to dominating like he had a couple years prior and it feels like once that juice ran out he returned to who he was prior.

And I don't hate him for it or anything. In fact I like the dude, even though I think he's full of it. Just a suspicion I have.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Don't know that Von Miller can be cut. Per Spotrac and OTC, a pre-June-release results in Dead-$ that exceeds his current 2024 cap hit ... meaning No Cap Relief at all but an additional $8M to his $24M cap hit. Some relief, with a post-June-release but still $17M in Dead-$.

Looking at Buffalo's 2024 cap situation ($51M over the cap!) it does not look good.

Not saying the Bills' Super Bowl Window has closed but it's much smaller. They were built to win a Super Bowl the past four seasons, and failed to even reach one. They should have a talented team in 2024 but they will almost certainly need to move-on from some quality veterans.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
If Brown's only issue is being late to meetings then I think the Rams would be okay with that. Bellichek is one of the biggest stiffs out there and he's liked brown

As for huff, good point about the lack of length. Hopefully they just prefer a ball player tho. He's an absolute monster on the edge.
Not the only issue he has some injuries concerns, that being said he would be a great LT he is a monster 6-8" 370

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not the only issue he has some injuries concerns, that being said he would be a great LT he is a monster 6-8" 370
You could run behind him and Avila all day. Draft Jackson Powers Johnson and holy heck that's a beefy offensive line.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Would kill for Burns, Allen or Young. C'mon, work your magic, Snead...

You don't mean Chase Young, do you?

He's a goldbrick. His on tape lack of effort in pursuit is egregious. I don't want him at any price. I take Hoecht over him any day... Not because Hoecht's a better pass rusher (he's not, at least not when Young's trying), but because Hoecht's ALL effort and makes a ton of plays in pursuit.

Honestly, I don't think Young's even in the league in a few years as it generally takes a 1st round pick multiple teams and years to wash out.

If Young were a 3rd day pick, he not only wouldn't be seen as a potential FA, he'd be widely seen as someone who's about to play his last game in the NFL

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You don't mean Chase Young, do you?

He's a goldbrick. His on tape lack of effort in pursuit is egregious. I don't want him at any price. I take Hoecht over him any day... Not because Hoecht's a better pass rusher (he's not, at least not when Young's trying), but because Hoecht's ALL effort and makes a ton of plays in pursuit.

Honestly, I don't think Young's even in the league in a few years as it generally takes a 1st round pick multiple teams and years to wash out.

If Young were a 3rd day pick, he not only wouldn't be seen as a potential FA, he'd be widely seen as someone who's about to play his last game in the NFL

That was a very old post, and after watching him…well, yeah.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hunter will be a bidding war. If so then go get that corner from Chicago then draft a pairing for Young. This defense would jump for sure I think.

I'd be SHOCKED if the Bears let Jaylon Johnson go, even for 2 1sts.

If we're gonna send a ton of draft capital, I'd be okay for Josh Allen. I dunno why, but I don't have that same feeling for Brian Burns... however, we already offered 2 1sts for him and I think they'll do it again.

Why could this work?

Well, I dunno where I heard this (maybe the Locked on Rams podcast or the Athletic?), but the reason the Rams killed this past draft was because they have a very different analytics model in place than the rest of the NFL which is yielding absolute GEMS in rounds 3-5.

Moreover, there's no evidence as of yet that the rest of the NFL has caught up.

The Rams analytics team seemed to have married raw data with team schema/culture and it's been beyond amazing to see the initial results. You can bet the Rams will double down on this plan.

So here's my take:

The Rams are UNLIKELY to be part of any huge initial FA signings unless they think they can pry one of the top edges away. I don't think they'll try for a top DB of any kind.

In the 2nd round of FA, they may sign someone who's been released, but no trades

We'll see how they draft. I honestly don't care about the 1st round as their models have never included a 1st rounder. I will be watching rounds 2-5 and really try to break down WHY those guys. There will be something about those guys that are different and that will be key to understanding how the Rams see team development in 2024 and onward.

In the 3rd round of FA, I expect a few signings to fill holes left by the draft, including guys who may not be signed. I expect if OBJ is still out there after the draft, that we make a call. Ordinarily, I'd agree that we aren't likely to put more money into that position, but even if we retain Robinson, I still think we inquire about OBJ if he's not already signed. Robinson was WAY better than anyone thought he'd be and I'm sure the Chiefs are missing him as opposed to the Kadarius Toney debacle they're currently dealing with

Much like last year, I think we'll second guess this off-season until we see the product in action

What I do know is that it won't look much like any of us are projecting, myself included.

That said, I think teams are gonna be really wary of dealing with the Rams. When we call, we're calling for a player we think we can get a lot out of which teams will be reticent to part with. Just look at Dotson. He was a backup they misused at LG near a poor LT and he wasn't good. We put him at RG where he belonged and he's a #1 ranked OG and a top ten overall ranked OL. If I'm a GM and the Rams call about a player, my first reaction is, "okay... they want him, so I need to talk with the coaches to figure out why he's valuable to them and not us, how are we misusing him and can we salvage him" cuz after Dotson and so many others, if a GM isn't saying that when we call, they should be a GM.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. Not too long after that post the Bears GM came out and said he had no chance to get away (paraphrasing for humor). Also Les threw some cold water on FA in that interview he did recently so not sure what to expect at this point. Though it sure would be nice if they can find a way to fill one of their cornerstone position needs (LT, Edge, CB) to simplify things for the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Miller is so full of shit. Only thing he chases is tail. That dude is dirty as a sailor. :laugh3:

If he ends up cut the question of whether he's got a year left in him comes down to whether he's willing to dope like I suspect he did for our title run. Yes I know many will freak at such a suggestion. But the guy went from sleepwalking to dominating like he had a couple years prior and it feels like once that juice ran out he returned to who he was prior.

And I don't hate him for it or anything. In fact I like the dude, even though I think he's full of it. Just a suspicion I have.

I don't agree with the juicing idea. He was excited to join the contender and play with AD, who he said is the best player in the league. Even when he agreed with his agent to take the Bills offer, he mentioned wanting to play with AD. It meant a lot to him. He was renewed, re-energized. It wasn't like he was getting two sacks a game suddenly. But I saw a huge improvement in run defense and containment. Waddle was sitting at home, when they called him and he played well.

If we're gonna send a ton of draft capital, I'd be okay for Josh Allen. I dunno why, but I don't have that same feeling for Brian Burns... however, we already offered 2 1sts for him and I think they'll do it again.

Why could this work?

Well, I dunno where I heard this (maybe the Locked on Rams podcast or the Athletic?), but the reason the Rams killed this past draft was because they have a very different analytics model in place than the rest of the NFL which is yielding absolute GEMS in rounds 3-5.

Moreover, there's no evidence as of yet that the rest of the NFL has caught up.

The Rams analytics team seemed to have married raw data with team schema/culture and it's been beyond amazing to see the initial results. You can bet the Rams will double down on this plan.

So here's my take:

The Rams are UNLIKELY to be part of any huge initial FA signings unless they think they can pry one of the top edges away. I don't think they'll try for a top DB of any kind.

In the 2nd round of FA, they may sign someone who's been released, but no trades

We'll see how they draft. I honestly don't care about the 1st round as their models have never included a 1st rounder. I will be watching rounds 2-5 and really try to break down WHY those guys. There will be something about those guys that are different and that will be key to understanding how the Rams see team development in 2024 and onward.

In the 3rd round of FA, I expect a few signings to fill holes left by the draft, including guys who may not be signed. I expect if OBJ is still out there after the draft, that we make a call. Ordinarily, I'd agree that we aren't likely to put more money into that position, but even if we retain Robinson, I still think we inquire about OBJ if he's not already signed. Robinson was WAY better than anyone thought he'd be and I'm sure the Chiefs are missing him as opposed to the Kadarius Toney debacle they're currently dealing with

Much like last year, I think we'll second guess this off-season until we see the product in action

What I do know is that it won't look much like any of us are projecting, myself included.

That said, I think teams are gonna be really wary of dealing with the Rams. When we call, we're calling for a player we think we can get a lot out of which teams will be reticent to part with. Just look at Dotson. He was a backup they misused at LG near a poor LT and he wasn't good. We put him at RG where he belonged and he's a #1 ranked OG and a top ten overall ranked OL. If I'm a GM and the Rams call about a player, my first reaction is, "okay... they want him, so I need to talk with the coaches to figure out why he's valuable to them and not us, how are we misusing him and can we salvage him" cuz after Dotson and so many others, if a GM isn't saying that when we call, they should be a GM.
Despite it being reported by Jourdan, and alluded to by McVay, some here will argue that the Rams have not changed their draft model at all. :eyeroll:

I recall reading that the Rams were trying to acquire Dotson for several months, going back to before the draft. The Steelers wanted to hang onto him as insurance, through the preseason. He was a player that Director of pro player personnel, John McKay identified last winter as a goid fit for the Rams. Witherspoon was another good decision by McKay and then Snead.

Even if the Rams were to lose him in free agency, it was a great move. Not only did they get a very goid season out of Dotson, but the comp pick compensation for losing him could be a better pick than what they gave up to get him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Even if the Rams were to lose him (Kevin Dotson) in free agency, ... the comp pick compensation for losing him could be a better pick than what they gave up to get him.

Don't think the Rams will get a 2025 compensatory pick if Kevin Dotson is lost in Free Agency.

Comp picks are based on free agents lost vs. free agents signed by a team. The formula considers both the quantity of players, and the size of the contracts.

The Rams have received many comp picks in recent years because they have been so inactive in Free Agency.

The Rams did not sign a single free agent last off-season until after the draft. Meanwhile, they lost Mayfield, Gay, Gaines, Robinson, Edwards, Scott and a few others. That's why they are projected to get four 2024 comp picks. None are expected to be high because the contracts were not huge.

The up-coming off-season is expected to be different, with the Rams more active. Some here believe they will be very active. If the Rams sign free agents; and a couple get big-$, that could mean no compensatory draft choices in 2025.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
R1.19 seems a bit rich for an OC. Would Powers Johnson last until R2.52?
Doubt it. Sounds like he made himself some $ at the Senior Bowl. Of course, a player’s stock can go in either direction.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Brown's only issue is being late to meetings then I think the Rams would be okay with that. Bellichek is one of the biggest stiffs out there and he's liked brown

As for huff, good point about the lack of length. Hopefully they just prefer a ball player tho. He's an absolute monster on the edge.
Also, Huff isn’t a full time starter. I’d pass on Brown if he’s not committed.
Don't think the Rams will get a 2025 compensatory pick if Kevin Dotson is lost in Free Agency.

Comp picks are based on free agents lost vs. free agents signed by a team. The formula considers both the quantity of players, and the size of the contracts.

The Rams have received many comp picks in recent years because they have been so inactive in Free Agency.

The Rams did not sign a single free agent last off-season until after the draft. Meanwhile, they lost Mayfield, Gay, Gaines, Robinson, Edwards, Scott and a few others. That's why they are projected to get four 2024 comp picks. None are expected to be high because the contracts were not huge.

The up-coming off-season is expected to be different, with the Rams more active. Some here believe they will be very active. If the Rams sign free agents; and a couple get big-$, that could mean no compensatory draft choices in 2025.
I’m aware of how it works. But I keep hearing that Snead said they won’t be active in free agency early. If true, and Dotson gets a big contract then they would get a decent comp pick, maybe a fourth rounder.

However, if the Rams sign a guy like Hunter or Burns then it would be worth losing out on that comp pick imo

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I’m aware of how it works. But I keep hearing that Snead said they won’t be active in free agency early.

As I recall, Snead's comment was more about not spending huge in the first couple days of Free Agency.

The 48-hour negotiating-window begins on March 11th; and the League Year on the 13th.
By early-evening on March 13th, there will be announcements on a couple dozen agreements, many for big-$.
Thought Snead's comment, on a zoom press conference after the season, was more about those first few days.

There's about six weeks from Free Agency to the Draft. Almost all the top free agents will be signed by then.
If the Rams want to sign a couple of significant free agents, they will not be able to wait until after the Draft.

Went back to Snead's January 19 comments. Here is one quote about having some cap space for Free Agency:
"I probably would not expect us to go out on (when) the bell rings, open (the) new league year and spend $40 million in free agency. But what it does allow us to do is take a look in free agency."

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, Huff isn’t a full time starter. I’d pass on Brown if he’s not committed.

I’m aware of how it works. But I keep hearing that Snead said they won’t be active in free agency early. If true, and Dotson gets a big contract then they would get a decent comp pick, maybe a fourth rounder.

However, if the Rams sign a guy like Hunter or Burns then it would be worth losing out on that comp pick imo
Huff doesn't start due to his run defense issues I believe. I don't think that would be an issue for the Rams. Our defensive line is not as staked as the jets.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The good thing is that centers don't usually go very high.
Agree, and I think players like Frazier and Van Pran could fall to the 3rd round, with other center prospects like Turner, Raym and Nugent to the 5th or 6th. Especially true if a prospect is viewed as a center-only. However, this guy Powers-Johnson ... don't see anyway he is there at #52.