Once-in-a-lifetime prospect? Scouts break down Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Then he'll bust. The same what if scenario applies to pretty much every player.
Lawrence Taylor didn't bust he slept through meetings so often they almost brought in a bed for him.

BTW if we get stuck at 2, I think we have to take Clowney to prove we will and then trade him for the picks we are offered.

Ramifications

Lawrence Taylor didn't bust he slept through meetings so often they almost brought in a bed for him.

BTW if we get stuck at 2, I think we have to take Clowney to prove we will and then trade him for the picks we are offered.

They would only do this if they were prepared to keep him, if the Clowney-as-Eli extortion reprise attempt backfires. Fortunately, I think the frenzied, fever pitch for a QB will generate multiple offers, and it won't come to that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
They would only do this if they were prepared to keep him, if the Clowney-as-Eli extortion reprise attempt backfires. Fortunately, I think the frenzied, fever pitch for a QB will generate multiple offers, and it won't come to that.
I think you are correct and I if I were in their situation I would pull the trigger and if I was stuck with him I'd say fine,it's not that drafting Clowney is the worst thing they could ever do,it's just that the reverse is just as untrue, there are better things to do with the pick.
I'll bet IF we drafted Clowney we would be inundated with offers for Long possibly a top 15 pick where we could get him and a top tackle ,but we'd lose the best player we have on defense ( no disrespect to Quinn,he's the best talent but CL is still the best player) so that's something I wouldn't do, maybe another of our ends for a third round pick.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Dunno about once-in-a-lifetime but worthy of no. 2 pick in this draft. I expect a trade down who knows maybe get him at no. 4 and more picks. Thanx Snider LMFAO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but you just brought up Gallery. You don't think it's happened more than him since 1998?

In terms of generational prospects? I guess it depends on how you define living up to expectations. Which ones would you say haven't?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ro
In terms of generational prospects? I guess it depends on how you define living up to expectations. Which ones would you say haven't?
Most uvum,it's a title that gets thrown around almost as indiscriminately as "great" and I suspect it is now like most other times.
I think we got had a little on the hype about Tavon ,oh shizzle some overeactionary is sure to misconstrue that to mean I said Tavon is a bust,the humanity:eek:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, Tavon was a rare talent in terms of his speed and elusiveness but I don't think anyone really considered him "generational".

Ramifications

Not sure if he is the best pick for us, but Daniel Jeremiah thinks he is the #1 overall pick in the draft. Mel Kiper was never a professional scout, and some talking heads aren't that well informed, but Jeremiah isn't a lightweight. He was in the BAL organization for years (QB at Appalachian State, fellow alum with Quick). I generally like his takes. Anyways, interesting that somebody who I respect isn't as concerned about the drop off in 2013 and the character, work ethic and effort intangibles as some others are.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...jadeveon-clowneys-claim-as-top-pick-justified

Jeremiah: Jadeveon Clowney's claim as top pick justifiedBy Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:03 a.m. Updated: Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:21 p.m.

Jadeveon Clowney's claim that he should be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft isn't the first time NFL Media analyst and former scout Daniel Jeremiah has heard a prospect make that statement, but in this case, Jeremiah is buying it.

"In my opinion, Clowney should be the No. 1 overall pick because I think he's the best player in this draft. The need at quarterback can trump some of those things, but when you just look off the grade of what you see ... you're talking about somebody with rare size, length, explosiveness," Jeremiah said on "NFL AM." "People can ding him this year, because his production was a little down. But you look at the previous two years, a lot of production in the SEC. To me, he's the top football player in this draft."

Jeremiah didn't find Clowney's claim Thursday on "The Dan Patrick Show" to be boastful or even uncommon, recalling from his days as a Baltimore Ravens scout that running back Maurice Jones-Drew, then a draft prospect from UCLA, told the Ravens at the 2006 NFL Scouting Combine he believed himself to be not only the draft's top running back, but it's top overall player. Jones-Drew was eventually a second-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"You hear a lot of guys say they believe that," Jeremiah said.

What Clowney needs, however, is for the Houston Texans to believe it.

With the top pick in the draft, the Texans will weigh Clowney against a need at the quarterback position, and plenty of money is at stake. The top pick last year, Eric Fisher, received a four-year contract worth in excess of $22 million, almost $15 million of which was a signing bonus. Top quarterback prospects include Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville, and Blake Bortles of Central Florida. Jeremiah said he sees Manziel landing in Cleveland, which holds the No. 4 overall pick.

"I think he's probably going to end up being a top-five pick when it's all said and done. I look at where Cleveland is situated at No. 4, and they're desperate for a quarterback, I think that might be where he ends up," Jeremiah said.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We need teams to know we have no problem teams to know we'll pick this guy if we don't get what we want.

Ramifications

Lot of busts on that list, and some go back (Aundray Bruce, Steve Emtman).

I have qualified things by saying, SINCE Calvin Johnson, he, Suh, Luck and Clowney, either for athleticism for their position, intangibles, collegiate body of work and/or scouting grade, are the closest to once-in-a-decade/generational athletes/talents I've seen or known about IN THAT SPAN. Leinart was on the list as a bust, but he was never called a generational talent like the above (for good reason, because he wasn't).

BTW, the thread title is unfortunate, I just used the article title in the very first post. Personally I wouldn't say Clowney is once-in-a-lifetime as an overall prospect (there may be some lingering questions, he didn't finish as strong as the others). After the Combine, we may say he is AS AN ATHLETE, if he runs a 4.4 and has close to a 38" VJ at 275 lbs. Might be unprecedented for a DE as high a profile as Clowney.

RamEERS

Pastor
i think the question that everyone on this board is asking is... is Clowney CONSISTENTLY better than Quinn... he may be better in every aspect, but if he takes plays off... it's not worth it in the end...

Ramifications

i think the question that everyone on this board is asking is... is Clowney CONSISTENTLY better than Quinn... he may be better in every aspect, but if he takes plays off... it's not worth it in the end...

That is why I have questions, and prefer a trade down and LT/WR scenario with the higher pick (wherever it ends up being).

* Daniel Jeremiah's big board has Clowney, Watkins and Robinson 1-2-3. All figure to be in the mix, depending on whether a trade happens or not. He has Matthews at 1.8, which IMO is not consensus, but low. I have seen Matthews as high as 1.2, and frequently in the top 4-5.

http://www.nfl.com/top50

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Let's keep that at only 2 on the list shall we?

Why, because they HAVE to be of the year 1998 to be relevant? The point is, it's still capable of happening in the modern era.

I'm not saying Clowney is going to bust. Shit, the odds of anyone you pick in the top 5 of being a bust has to be pretty low. I'm just saying regardless of the hype, it's definitely a possibility. If he had a clean bill of health, played to the whistle, and didn't get gassed on long offensive drives I'd feel a little better about taking him #2 overall.

This is a very big piece of real estate we're holding onto. In fact it's the last piece in the trade that was suppose to rebuild the team. I still don't think we're only one player away.

The draft is a long way away. I'm looking forward to the combine. Clowney has said he's going to blow everyone away. We'll have to see if he even participates in everything. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why, because they HAVE to be of the year 1998 to be relevant? The point is, it's still capable of happening in the modern era.

Nah - just sayin'. I just hope WHOEVER we pick in the first (or anywhere else) isn't a candidate for that list some day.

We have Smith and Larry on that list. Let's not add any.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Nah - just sayin'. I just hope WHOEVER we pick in the first (or anywhere else) isn't a candidate for that list some day.

We have Smith and Larry on that list. Let's not add any.

Oh, I thought you meant there was only 2 on the list instead of a few in the "once in a generation" talk. lol Ma bad. Yeah, I agree. Dear God do I hope so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh, I thought you meant there was only 2 on the list instead of a few in the "once in a generation" talk. lol Ma bad. Yeah, I agree. Dear God do I hope so.
Yeah - I figured that must be it.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Chris Long as a senior in Virginia's 3-4 defense, Long recorded 14 sacks. That system he played in called more for him to occupy blockers than to get after the quarterback. Some profiles said that Chris was versatility to play defensive end in either a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment, and possibly the under-tackle position in a 4-3.

I not sure about that last line myself. But you know Chris is smart enough to play it if it was needed. Chris Long is a class act!
Yes, those things were said, but when he weigned in at 271 . . . and showed his athleticism at the combine . . .it kind of locked him as a 4-3 end. At 271 . . . yeah he could have trimmed to maybe 265 or 260 . . . but at 271 and what he did made him the 4-3 end. But Clowney, I just don't think he could play base tackle. He could easily rush from the RT in the nickle in place of Sims. But moving Chris now? There is and old axiom: Don't move blues. to be Long is a blue (top) player.

Pick a guy who fits and is of high value. If that is Watkins, cool. It it is Matthews, that's cool, too.