Once-in-a-lifetime prospect? Scouts break down Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I guess Aaron Curry and Charles Roger could be argued as such. I didn't evaluate Rogers. Was too young. And I was never a big Curry guy but some might have felt that way.

So, we have to stay after 1998? What about Courtney Brown, or Ryan Leaf? I'm sure there's more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, we have to stay after 1998? What about Courtney Brown, or Ryan Leaf? I'm sure there's more.

Yep, after 1998. Ryan Leaf wasn't...wasn't the best QB in his own class. Courtney Brown is an arguable one too. Good point.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Considering we're trading up to 1st overall to get Manziel, isn't this all irrelevant?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You know, maybe it's just me, but it seems every year, SOMEONE gets "Once in a lifetime/decade, can't pass this guy up" hype.

And, logically, it has to be not true in the majority of cases.

Bradford was touted by some as a once in a decade guy, and even though I'll defend him in just about everything else, he hasn't been that.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
How about

2. Clowney
13. BPA (or trade)
44. Morgan Moses (at guard)
75. Hyde/Hill

Idk if any of those 3 make it to 44, or 75 btw

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about

2. Clowney
13. BPA (or trade)
44. Morgan Moses (at guard)
75. Hyde/Hill

Idk if any of those 3 make it to 44, or 75 btw

I wouldn't draft Moses. Doesn't have the bend to play Guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, those things were said, but when he weigned in at 271 . . . and showed his athleticism at the combine . . .it kind of locked him as a 4-3 end. At 271 . . . yeah he could have trimmed to maybe 265 or 260 . . . but at 271 and what he did made him the 4-3 end. But Clowney, I just don't think he could play base tackle. He could easily rush from the RT in the nickle in place of Sims. But moving Chris now? There is and old axiom: Don't move blues. to be Long is a blue (top) player.

Pick a guy who fits and is of high value. If that is Watkins, cool. It it is Matthews, that's cool, too.

I think that Howie Long may have had some molding of his son & helped Chris work himself to be a 43 DE not a 34 DT or a 43 UT or anything else. I think his dad may have said Chris ...son ....this is where you need to work on being in the NFL right here @ LDE.

IMO I sure would not even consider the thought of Moving Chris Long again. Chris Long played RDE for a few yrs then we flipped him over to LDE. When you are paying Chris Long the extreme amount for a LDE he should be one of the best LDE's in the NFL. I not sure if Chris Long is one of the top LDE's but he is very good. The thought of moving Chris inside is unsettling to me. If we need a interior pass rush do like we did in 2012 play the much heavier William Hayes who may be close to 285 pounds or Eugene Sims the 6-6/270 pounder but leave Chris @ left DE. You don't move your your leader & best player @ his post.

Now back to subject if Snead Fisher & Williams[SFW]stay put & select the 6-6 275 plus pounder Jadeveon Clowney[JC] there no telling where Jadeveon will be used in this defense. But you certainly do not pick him to sit on the bench. you place him in his best position to win those battles & disrupt the initial offense plays with his true explosiveness out of his stance bursting into the backfield to beat oncoming blockers. But JC has shown outstanding strength so he is not just a outside pass rusher. There is very little on file on JC being in a 2 pt stance.

So over the next 3 months SFW must do their homework & make a decision if JC is a pure 43 left or right DE or is JC what the Texans think he is a DL on the outside of the 3 man DL. Or can JD be on the field in a 43 all the time in the DL being used in all four posts? Right now I say the Texans may have the best position for him opposite JJ Watts on their 34 defense. I am of the opinion that JC will put on some size after the combine and over the first NFL season & JC going into his second NFL season will be closer to 6-6 285 than 275. When the Rams drafted Eugene Sims he was a 6-6 230 skinny ex safety today he is close to 270 pounds & has more on field plays @ DT than DE for the Rams. Heck Kendall Langford came to us a few yrs back as a 6-6 290 ex Miami 34 DE. Now he is a very solid interior DT @ 6-6 313 pounds & still adding pounds & size Fisher like those tall DL'ers & 6-6 & 6-5 are the type he gets! Those long legs do draw the attention of the OL'ers who seem to fall all over themselves getting to the lower parts.

In truth the 2014 Ram team may be the best stocked NFL team @ DE. With no need or room for another. However the Rams have 3 DL'ers ..two very good starters @ DT with a youthful 6-7 290 pound Conrath SFW could use another similar DT from the draft. Just not an natural spot for him.