Older than dirt or still wet behind the ears???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What decade is your earliest Rams memory?

• 2010s still figuring out the game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2000s know the difference between offense and defense

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • 1990s I was there when we rallied around Kurt

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • 1980s I know John Robinson

• 1970s McCutcheon was a bad ass

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • 1960’s yeah I’m old but we did some things

• 1950’s and before. Older than dirt and we earned it!!

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Scars? Some of us died, but came back from the dead in 1999...
Near Death Experiences ... self-induced-coma ... depression ... lives of crime and/or debauchery ... drug addiction ... self-mutilation ... alcoholism ... thoughts of suicide ... failed attempts at suicide ... 1999 saved lives!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My dad had semi-season tickets for the Giants back then & the first game I can remember going to was Rams at Giants in 1978. I was already a Rams fan and was so surprised we were going to that game. All I can recall from that game was that @den-the-coach all time favorite QB Pat Haden was terrible, some guy picked off a pass and ran it back for a game winning TD (Pat Thomas) and it was freezing effing cold

How many football fans can brag that they saw Joe Pisarcik play in an NFL game?

You lucky guy!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So, out of 15 full NFL seasons from '73 - '89, the Rams were in the Post-Season 14 times. THOSE were great decades.
One of the great things about those decades is that it seemed like it was the Rams birthright to have an offensive line of nothing but studs. And our D was pretty damn good as well during most of those years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was there anything to Pat Haden I liked? The answer is a resounding no! Carroll Rosenbloom loved him, I guess because he watched USC playing too many times back then against Oregon State or even Oregon back then for that matter.

James Harris & Ron Jaworski were superior, but Haden was more affable and the Rams traded both Jaws & Harris away. I always thank my lucky stars for Vince Anthony Ferragamo, however, Georgia would still not pay Vince and stuck with Haden in 1981 and the Rams went 6-10, thus propelling Haden to retire, which at the time was one of the happiest times of my life.
View attachment 45553
Just a fountain of Pat Haden Knowledge you are!
(I guess I should have used blue font with "fave" comment. Lol)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
One of the great things about those decades is that it seemed like it was the Rams birthright to have an offensive line of nothing but studs. And our D was pretty damn good as well during most of those years.
Insane consistency and durability.

But for an occasional injury, from 1973-1989, the Rams OL had three LTs (Cowan, France and Pankey) ... two RTs (Williams and Slater) ... three Centers (Iman, Saul and Smith), three LGs (Mack, Hill and Newberry) and three RGs (Scibelli, Harrah and Love)

And just about every one of those players went to at least one Pro Bowl.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nolan Cromwell (my avatar) was my hero back in the late 70s

I am old, yet still younger than most varieties of dirt.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I suppose I truly become a fan in the 2000’s

I went to an elementary where the school colors were blue and yellow and the mascot was Rams. I was 9 in 1999, and really started paying more attention to football around the end of the season that year. That’s when I started seeing the Rams on TV. I just thought it was so cool that a team existed that was like my school!

I am pretty sure the first Rams game I remember watching on Tv was the playoff game against the Vikings.

As a kid, I also remember not understanding the significance of Kurt Warner’s background. Specifically when the commentators would reference how Kurt had been working at a grocery store, I just thought that was a normal background that NFL players had.

But after Super Bowl 34, I was a forever fan.

Q729

Legend
Please don’t take this the wrong way. You’re insane.

The Rams were 45-99 from 1990-1998.

That’s nine consecutive years of 5-11 records.

That was a brutal stretch for Rams’ fans. In the 17 years prior, the Rams were a playoff-team 14 years.

1999 was the best season ever for us but the 1990s … with a one year magnificent exception … absolutely sucked.
You forgot the long-ass streak of losses to the 9ers. I wish I could.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You forgot the long-ass streak of losses to the 9ers. I wish I could.
You mean the 17 straight losses from their second game of 1990 through every single fucking Rams/49ers' match-up until 1999. Most of them Rams' defeats by more than twenty points. THAT long-ass-streak? Yes, I forgot about it.

Can you understand why I needed to push-back on the posters (great Rams' fans) who referred to the 1990s as the best decade because of the Super Bowl Championship Season of 1999?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You mean the 17 straight losses from their second game of 1990 through every single fucking Rams/49ers' match-up until 1999. Most of them Rams' defeats by more than twenty points. THAT long-ass-streak? Yes, I forgot about it.

Can you understand why I needed to push-back on the posters (great Rams' fans) who referred to the 1990s as the best decade because of the Super Bowl Championship Season of 1999?

I can understand why the 90s weren't the best, but it just made the Super Bowl all that sweeter, right? I'd rather win it all than get close; I know that from the Blues.

25 consecutive years in the playoffs. No Stanley Cups. First three years in the league made it to the Championship. Didn't win one. Years spent under shit ownership. Years spent in futility, selling off every player worth a damn for nothing.

Not until 2019. You old-timers probably felt a weight lifted off of your chest when the Rams won it all. I know I did with the Blues. That's what 2021 - and beyond - will be like when we win it all...and keep winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl. I can't think of a group of fans aside from Rams fans who have suffered more, who deserve to celebrate a dynasty.

dang

Legend
1972 Roman Gabriel and the horns hooked me in!!! Been on board ever since. The frequent heartbreak makes any success that much sweeter.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I can understand why the 90s weren't the best, but it just made the Super Bowl all that sweeter, right? I'd rather win it all than get close; I know that from the Blues.

25 consecutive years in the playoffs. No Stanley Cups. First three years in the league made it to the Championship. Didn't win one. Years spent under shit ownership. Years spent in futility, selling off every player worth a damn for nothing.

Not until 2019. You old-timers probably felt a weight lifted off of your chest when the Rams won it all. I know I did with the Blues. That's what 2021 - and beyond - will be like when we win it all...and keep winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl. I can't think of a group of fans aside from Rams fans who have suffered more, who deserve to celebrate a dynasty.
We are not on the same page here, and that's OK. Despite not agreeing, I enjoy reading your perspective.

I was trying to describe the 1990's as a die-hard Rams' fan who lived through it. I started my primary legal career in that decade. That's when I met my wife and got married. She's still with me and frequently reminds me of how happy I am. I would not describe Rams '90s football (pre-1999) as 'not the best'. More of a fucking-nightmare that lasted nine years.

Curious about your Blues' references. Specifically that they made it to the NHL Finals their first three years of existence, without winning a Stanley Cup. You made it sound like a disappointment the Blues did not win one of the three series. They did not win a single game in those three Finals (0-12).

The Blues could not win back then. None of the six teams from the NHL's Western Conference had a chance of winning a Cup back then. The Western Conference was all expansion teams (1967). Before that, the NHL was a mere six teams (the Original Six), and they had been around for decades. Any team that came out of the East would have defeated any team from the West at that time.

As to your closing comments about the Rams 'winning it all in 2021'; and 'Super Bowl after Super Bowl' in the coming years, I admire the optimism and pray that is the case. However, this 'old-timer' laughed-out-loud when I read it; and thought "the young ones ... they don't even know what they don't know" ... then I laughed again.

By-the-way, don't tell the fans of sports franchises like the Cleveland Indians, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Hawks and NFL teams Lions, Chargers, Falcons, Vikings and Cardinals about 'suffering more'.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Same here.

Saw a pic of Merlin Olsen in the Sears Catalog, late '72, wearing the blue and whites. Wasn't really even a football fan or any sports fan at that point. Saw the horns on the helmet and thought that was just the coolest thing ever. A switch was flipped in my DNA, and I've been a Rams fan ever since.
Very cool...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
December 1st, 1968 ... I looked up the date years later.

Was playing in the snow and came in to change into some dry clothes. My father was laying on my bed, watching a Rams/Vikings game on a small black-n-white portable TV that could be carried from room-to-room. The screen was about 6 inches. I kid you not.

Now, I was old enough to know it was football but I did not have an awareness of teams. I was mesmerized by the coolest helmets in the world. I asked my day "Who is playing" and he replied the 'Rams and Vikings'. I went to the screen, pointed to a Rams player and asked "Who are they' and my father said 'the Rams'.

I sat down on the floor to watch the game, completely forgetting about my friends outside, and announced to my dad that "I was a Rams' fan". My father calmly replied 'We live in New York. We are Giants' fans'. I disappointingly asked "I can't root for the Rams" and my dad smiled and replied 'You can root for whoever you want'.

He's been gone a long time but my father is still the coolest guy I have ever know.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Insane consistency and durability.

But for an occasional injury, from 1973-1989, the Rams OL had three LTs (Cowan, France and Pankey) ... two RTs (Williams and Slater) ... three Centers (Iman, Saul and Smith), three LGs (Mack, Hill and Newberry) and three RGs (Scibelli, Harrah and Love)

And just about every one of those players went to at least one Pro Bowl.
Great teams that owned the trenches. Those guys were the epitome of the men of the NFL.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was literally on my knees begging, praying, pleading for the clock to run out before some bad call, busted coverage or earthquake handed the game to Tennessee.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was literally on my knees begging, praying, pleading for the clock to run out before some bad call, busted coverage or earthquake handed the game to Tennessee.
It' why I'll never forget Mike Jones,

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1977 was such a special year for me. I watched Star Wars in the theater, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors " came out, and I became a Ram fan.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
1998 preseason against the Broncos. My dad was a Broncos fan and was watching the game. They did a shot of the line from the side and I thought the helmet was the coolest thing. I picked them based on that. My dad said, “Don’t like the Rams, they’re terrible.” but I stuck it out. 1999 was good to me.