OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The Rams went from a very good tier two QB to an established elite QB. I had no problem with the trade. What I have a problem with is all the hate some spew towards Goff to justify a trade that doesn't need to be justified. I looked at it as trading a QB that doesn't fit your system for one that does, just that simple. I think Goff will give the Lions the ability to compete in their division, so IMO it will work out for both teams.

Stafford is far from perfect and I for one isn't blind to them. He can be a turnover machine mush like Goff was at times. The difference is this version of the Rams can usually overcome those mistakes. Also, Stafford's production is better than Goff's so he can overcome his own mistakes as well.

We now know why Stafford's deep accuracy was shit at times. As long as Matt's elbow holds out he can further cement his legacy as one of the NFL's all-time greats. This year's roster has future HOFers all over it. Having Stafford, AD, Kupp, Ramsey and now Wagner makes this an impressive roster.

Stafford was the last part in his Ram machine to make it go. But we need to keep perspective in that he can't do it alone. Detroit proved that no matter how good the QB is, you still need a team and HC around him to realize his potential. That is true with all teams and it's why a team needs a great roster to make it to the Super Bowl and win it.

The Rams went away from their outside zone to an inside zone run game. Too many times the OL simply missed their blocks in that it requires some to initially double block to influence the ILB then one would come off that double and make the second level block to secure the gap. The technique and timing weren't there. This is one reason Corbett is gone and they drafted Bruss who has the athleticism to make those second-level blocks. This type of gap blocking technique requires a lot of practice. Because of the COVID limitations, that practice simply wasn't there. This is why I expect the inside run game to be better this year. Both the OL and the RBs will have a much better understanding of the concepts. RBs need to make their presnap reads inside out. On most inside zone runs there will be two targeted gaps dependent upon the defensive alignment. The RB must be patient and make the correct read. This is why Michel was better running between the tackles than Akers or Henderson.

If the run game improves like I think it will, Stafford will potentially be set up for a career year. Last year without Woods the Rams lost their X WR. They moved Jefferson into that role as both Kupp and especially OBJ are Y, Z receivers. Jefferson initially struggled at that new position. But with Robinson, they again have a true X WR. Slightly slower than Woods, but bigger and with the same good hands. Like Woods, Robinson is a technician running the X WR route tree like Kupp is at his position. OBJ would be gravy but IMO Robinson fills a role that OBJ doesn't. So IMO Robinson's value to this offense is greater than OBJ's. It would be nice to have OBJ but he's a luxury at this point. That's why he's going to sit it out waiting for a key WR injury in a contending team.

Your first paragraph nailed it. Excellent post.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still remember a play in the second game against Seattle during Goff's last year. He was scrambling and he slid down like a half yard short of the first down marker and we ended up punting. The broadcast showed McVay on the sideline and he was trying to look calm but you could tell he wanted to explode and be like WTF Jared?
Goff taught us some important lessons in looking at QBs. I used to think accuracy was the key. Now my prioritization looking at them is Competitive drive > speed of decision making > pocket feel / accuracy > else. Bottom line is these guys need to be a little insane in the competitive drive department to be great at the NFL level.

Martz nailed that shit years ago with his QB quote.

Tano

Legend
once the league decided to cut off the communication in the QB's helmet from the sideline (McVay) Goff's play declined.
League never changed the rule.

If everyone remembers, people were stating that McVay was talking to Goff up to 15 secs before the play and then the defense figured that out and changed the defense after the 15 seconds.

I still don't think that caused the downfall of Goff.

Goff not having time in the pocket due to Blythe taking over for Allen right after that was made public was Goff's downfall.

Goff requires a decent center to be any good.

Because of that he will never be above a tier 2 QB in my mind because he has to have the right team around him to be a good to very good QB. It's pretty much that simple. Goff is not someone who can win games on his own.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If everyone remembers, people were stating that McVay was talking to Goff up to 15 secs before the play and then the defense figured that out and changed the defense after the 15 seconds.

that's still the stupidest argument i've ever heard. and i've heard it here often.

defenses are trying to trick every qb in the league and often try to hide their true scheme before the snap. it's preposterous to say they only do it for goff.

if it was as simple as mcvay telling goff what to do why wouldn't he run the no huddle non stop and snap the ball before the mic cut out so defenses couldn't do their magical switches without him being able to talk into goff's helmet? you know why, because it's fucking stupid.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
The thing that most of us can't understand is how anybody thinks Stafford is even a lateral move to Goff, even Goff this year at his worst. I've yet to have anybody explain it except so say they like him more than Goff.

I love this......

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's pretty easy in hindsight to laugh at all the takes on Stafford, the trade, etc. now, but things were not as clear in foresight for most of us here. Even a lot of people that badly wanted Goff gone at the time weren't convinced that Stafford was an upgrade.

Ehhh nah man. Nope.

People who vehemently opposed the trade got off way too easy here. It was crystal clear to me from the jump that it was a great trade and Stafford was a big upgrade. Boy did I catch flak for it.

It's laughable that people are still struggling to admit how wrong they were.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Ehhh nah man. Nope.

People who vehemently opposed the trade got off way too easy here. It was crystal clear to me from the jump that it was a great trade and Stafford was a big upgrade. Boy did I catch flak for it.

I admit that I wasn't thrilled with it. I was concerned about his age & recent injuries and I feared that Stafford was what he showed mid season, when he was throwing balls up for grabs on 3rd & 2. He struggled to manage games and instead looked like an undisciplined Farve-like gun slinger at some of the most critical moments.

Now, I stated he was obviously more talented...better arm talent and experienced, etc... However, I questioned his durability, due to his playing style, and again his ability to manage game situations.

He did look a little beat up at times last yr and now missing OTAs this offseason. And his decision making almost bit us in the ass in the NFCCG, but Tart dropped a gift.

So my concerns did surface, but I didn't give McVay enough credit for his ability to manage Stafford and get him through his rough spots and to get him to take coaching on the game management issues.

And let's face it, we got a gift from SF when they beat GB. So a little luck went our way. Not to mention that this season showed how a call here or mistake there, can be the difference between a 2nd round exit or a SB win. It's not like they blew everyone out.

Three 3pt wins in the postseason and yes, like Brady, Stafford gets a ton of credit for pulling out those 3 pt wins even if he contributed to some of the reasons those games came down to the wire.

So let's hope he stays healthy this yr and can go get another trophy because he should be even better in yr two in regards to his game management decisions improving and just yr 2 in this offense and McVay seeing what he is best at.

Last edited:

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Life changing

images_voltaxMediaLibrary_mmsport_thebiglead_en_international_web_01fyegxyb8rkmwryyyeg.jpeg

I dont get what the hell is going on??? Is Stafford really that much better than Goff? All over the local LA radio stations and national media they all are dissing Goff like he’s the worst QB in the NFL. They treat him like the red headed stepchild. Is it because Snead and McVays recent comments about Goff insinuating he is not the guaranteed starting QB next season? BTW Les Snead is a POS-I’ve had enough of him ever since the Fisher days-I wish he was canned at the same time. He gives out shitty contracts left and right and gets absolutely NO BLAME!! Its not because of him that the Rams have been successful since 2017-its in SPITE of him. If the Rams trade Goff AND serious draft capital for Matthew Stafford Montana then Im done with this team until Snead is fired
So, I guess you won't be back for a long time. Good luck with your team.

Tano

Legend
I admit that I wasn't thrilled with it. I was concerned about his age & recent injuries and I feared that Stafford was what he showed mid season, when he was throwing balls up for grabs on 3rd & 2. He struggled to manage games and instead looked like an undisciplined Farve-like gun slinger at some of the most critical moments.

Now, I stated he was obviously more talented...better arm talent and experienced, etc... However, I questioned his durability, due to his playing style, and again his ability to manage game situations.

He did look a little beat up at times last yr and now missing OTAs this offseason. And his decision making almost bit us in the ass in the NFCCG, but Tart dropped a gift.

So my concerns did surface, but I didn't give McVay enough credit for his ability to manage Stafford and get him through his rough spots and to get him to take coaching on the game management issues.

And let's face it, we got a gift from SF when they beat GB. So a little luck went our way. Not to mention that this season showed how a call here or mistake there, can be the difference between a 2nd round exit or a SB win. It's not like they blew everyone out.

Three 3pt wins in the postseason and yes, like Brady, Stafford gets a ton of credit for pulling out those 3 pt wins even if he contributed to some of the reasons those games came down to the wire.

So let's hope he stays healthy this yr and can go get another trophy because he should be even better in yr two in regards to his game management decisions improving and just yr 2 in this offense and McVay seeing what he is best at.
Yeah there were plays last year that Stafford made that everyone would have been screaming for Goff's head if it was Goff.

But I have to give Stafford all the credit for coming thru at crunch time.

Tano

Legend
Laughable? Kinda harsh there don't you think.

Edit - in addition, I never really watched Stafford play when I made those comments. I had talked to a Detroit fan who stated Stafford was overrated. After my first day's comments, I stated I needed to watch Stafford games to really make an informed decision.

After watching his games, I stated Stafford is definitely better than Goff but that I was concerned about Stafford's age and injury history (back injuries are hard to come back from and not get easily re-injured).

Still am concerned about his back injury and I hope his arm is healed up because he was way under throwing long passes last year, but we won a superbowl and am glad we made the trade,

All good now. I will be able to watch this season for a long time now.

Edit 2 - Oh - can I pat myself on the back when I stated that Stafford had an injury of some sort last year after he was under throwing so many deep balls after week 8.

Last edited:

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leave the past in the past. The future so bright you gotta wear shades. Unless its just about arguing. Then by all means carry on.

dang

Legend
My suggestion is to acknowledge that every “true” Rams fan is at least pleasantly surprised by Stafford’s performance in 2021. I’ll admit I was. And excited by having him on the roster for the next 3+ years. No sense in digging up dirt so let’s move forward. Go Rams!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Leave the past in the past. The future so bright you gotta wear shades. Unless its just about arguing. Then by all means carry on.
If you are going to insist upon using reason, good sense, intelligence and maturity, I just can't talk to you!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I'm quite happy to admit I was wrong about Stafford and the wisdom of the trade, especially when I look at my Super Bowl championship T-shirt and ballcap. But I have no regrets about having a different opinion at the time it all went down.

Don't get too cocky. You'll be wrong too sooner or later.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh man... It was with much trepidation that I perused thru this thread.... Wow, how different things were 18 months ago!!!
Good stuff.
I knew I said some stuff that would look really bad in hindsight, but good grief!
I'll say this much, @ottoman89 , sorry we got so heated here, totally my bad. I love ya brother!!