OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Oh man... It was with much trepidation that I perused thru this thread.... Wow, how different things were 18 months ago!!!
Good stuff.
I knew I said some stuff that would look really bad in hindsight, but good grief!
I'll say this much, @ottoman89 , sorry we got so heated here, totally my bad. I love ya brother!!
There's no bad blood my friend! I love ya too!! I appreciate an intense conversation and opinion!! I never held it against you!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no bad blood my friend! I love ya too!! I appreciate an intense conversation and opinion!! I never held it against you!
"Beef is better than pork, and boones farm strawberry is better than keystone light!" ~ dieter

"Oh shyte, now it's on like donkey kong ~ otto

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
"Beef is better than pork, and boones farm strawberry is better than keystone light!" ~ dieter

"Oh shyte, now it's on like donkey kong ~ otto
I SWEAR TO GOD THAT'LL CAUSE WW3!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I like Stafford and I think the Lions are a black hole that devours talent. I think he could have a Tannehill like rebound with a team that has a strong running game. He gets in trouble trying to do too much. If he had a good ground game and D, I think he could do serious damage. I don't think he's high on the list for the Rams, but they'd be dumb not to check what the compensation is, imo.
Damage was done! Stafford ran through half the division and Brady on the way to the ‘ship! Legendary.
Hope you all enjoyed that ride as much as I did.
Time to Run It Back!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Oh man... It was with much trepidation that I perused thru this thread.... Wow, how different things were 18 months ago!!!
Good stuff.
I knew I said some stuff that would look really bad in hindsight, but good grief!
I'll say this much, @ottoman89 , sorry we got so heated here, totally my bad. I love ya brother!!

I’m still kind of pissed at Ottoman for what he did to Constantinople in 1453 …

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm quite happy to admit I was wrong about Stafford and the wisdom of the trade, especially when I look at my Super Bowl championship T-shirt and ballcap. But I have no regrets about having a different opinion at the time it all went down.

Don't get too cocky. You'll be wrong too sooner or later.

Oh I've been wrong plenty of times. I have no problem owning it like you just did. Props

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Laughable? Kinda harsh there don't you think.

Edit - in addition, I never really watched Stafford play when I made those comments. I had talked to a Detroit fan who stated Stafford was overrated. After my first day's comments, I stated I needed to watch Stafford games to really make an informed decision.

After watching his games, I stated Stafford is definitely better than Goff but that I was concerned about Stafford's age and injury history (back injuries are hard to come back from and not get easily re-injured).

Still am concerned about his back injury and I hope his arm is healed up because he was way under throwing long passes last year, but we won a superbowl and am glad we made the trade,

All good now. I will be able to watch this season for a long time now.

Edit 2 - Oh - can I pat myself on the back when I stated that Stafford had an injury of some sort last year after he was under throwing so many deep balls after week 8.

But this is different.

I suppose I could be misremembering here, but if I'm not, I think you were fairly outspoken against the trade. Why make those comments at all and argue with people who had watched Stafford play and were convinced it would be a massive upgrade?

It's easy to just say "All good now", but that doesn't sit very well with me personally. People who vehemently opposed the trade - and I use that word purposely here, because it was pretty heated on both sides - were wrong. Flat out wrong. And again, that's okay. There's no need to caveat it. People are wrong all the time in life but for me, it's a HUGE issue when people can't just own it.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Puffing your chest out and patting yourself on the back for one thing and ignoring the countless times wrong is such a 2022 internet thing. It’s the equivalent of the Defensive player making a tackle and big time celebrating while his team is losing by 2-3 TDs lol. All fun though.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Puffing your chest out and patting yourself on the back for one thing and ignoring the countless times wrong is such a 2022 internet thing. It’s the equivalent of the Defensive player making a tackle and big time celebrating while his team is losing by 2-3 TDs lol. All fun though.

I would say that the people that were adamantly against the trade were closer to a defensive player who guaranteed victory every chance they got during the week. Every time they talked to the media. "We're going to win" said every day. Every single day in talking to the media.

And then they got 50 points dropped on them.

And now trying to sweep it under the rug like "well shoot it happens". I'm just not cool with that. I'm not puffing my chest out talking about how I got this right - I'm trying to not let the people who were so adamant that it was a bad trade to just step up and say "yep wow I was SO wrong". Some have, but quite a few have not and that's just strange to me.

Tano

Legend
I w
But this is different.

I suppose I could be misremembering here, but if I'm not, I think you were fairly outspoken against the trade. Why make those comments at all and argue with people who had watched Stafford play and were convinced it would be a massive upgrade?

It's easy to just say "All good now", but that doesn't sit very well with me personally. People who vehemently opposed the trade - and I use that word purposely here, because it was pretty heated on both sides - were wrong. Flat out wrong. And again, that's okay. There's no need to caveat it. People are wrong all the time in life but for me, it's a HUGE issue when people can't just own it.
I was against the trade at first in my first few posts but after I had calmed down a bit, I stated that I need to go look at Stafford's film. I think I should be allowed that. After I saw his film, I stated that Stafford was better than Goff but I still felt that 2 first round picks was too much. I was wrong about that. I will say that. But I also stated I wish McVay wouldn't have downplayed Goff so much after the GB game because that clearly meant to everyone (even myself) that he had given up on Goff and wanted a new QB. As a result, we were definitely forced to give up the 2 first round picks. I think we could have gotten him cheaper if he had just said good words about Goff in the GB game so that other teams wouldn't know he was wanting a new QB but then again a team like SF may have upped the ante if we had gone that route. So I am wrong about the two picks - shoot me.

What I was vehemently against was the "dogshitting" of Goff (yes I made that word up). And I still feel that way. Goff is a decent to good QB imho. I could be wrong but I am going to defend Goff until I am wrong about it. His last 5 games last year show me that he is a decent to good QB somewhere in the 10 to 20 range.

Edit - also I don't believe I ever got heated in my arguments. I usually try to give reasonable comments. They could be totally wrong in my posts but at least they are reasonable and I try to never put down people in their posts.

If I have ever put down someone in my posts, I apologize profusely to that person. Even people I have on ignore, I do not believe I ever put down their posts.

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I would say that the people that were adamantly against the trade were closer to a defensive player who guaranteed victory every chance they got during the week. Every time they talked to the media. "We're going to win" said every day. Every single day in talking to the media.

And then they got 50 points dropped on them.

And now trying to sweep it under the rug like "well shoot it happens". I'm just not cool with that. I'm not puffing my chest out talking about how I got this right - I'm trying to not let the people who were so adamant that it was a bad trade to just step up and say "yep wow I was SO wrong". Some have, but quite a few have not and that's just strange to me.
I’m talking just in general when people bring back old trades, draft picks, contracts, signings, etc. Not specific to this trade. I just find it funny how some Want to bring things back up afterwards- their wins but not their losses. Especially when we just won the SB. Enjoy

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How many times has this happened before the Rams?… 2 firsts, a 3rd rounder, a young QB, plus cash, for a 33yr old QB who is being projected to be better than what was seen with the team he came from?

At the time, that was a pretty crazy move.

No wonder many of us were unsure about it. Nothing wrong with seeing it that way, it was insane at the time. The whole sports world was in shock, really.

Thank goodness the Rams (Snead/McVay) had a vision and were correct. Thats why they run the team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many times has this happened before the Rams?… 2 firsts, a 3rd rounder, a young QB, plus cash, for a 33yr old QB who is being projected to be better than what was seen with the team he came from?

No wonder many of us were unsure about it. Nothing wrong with seeing it that way, it was insane at the time. The whole sports world was in shock, really.

Thank goodness the Rams (Snead/McVay) had a vision and were correct. Thats why they run the team.

Imagine what the Rams would have received for Kurt if Martz hadn't spent the previous year trying to ruin his career and use his lapdog Bernie to assassinate his character while he was at it? Stupid dickhead.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Imagine what the Rams would have received for Kurt if Martz hadn't spent the previous year trying to ruin his career and use his lapdog Bernie to assassinate his character while he was at it? Stupid dickhead.

Speaking of Martz and terrible hot takes. Has he ever walked back his comments about McVay when the Rams hired him?? Talk about a rant not aging well.....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I, of course never doubted or wavered

Ray Ban Wayfarers. There is no substitute.

lEYAGSz.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The “franchise QB” thing wasn’t as dominant then as it is now. A much bigger swath of QB’s you could win with.

Bigger names playing in 2001; Mike Vick, Hasselbeck, Testeverde, Brad Johnson, Dante Culpepper, Mark Brunnell, Jake Plummer, McNabb, McNair, Gannon, Farve, Manning, Jeff Garcia, Warner… seems like a bigger chunk to me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I w

I was against the trade at first in my first few posts but after I had calmed down a bit, I stated that I need to go look at Stafford's film. I think I should be allowed that. After I saw his film, I stated that Stafford was better than Goff but I still felt that 2 first round picks was too much. I was wrong about that. I will say that. But I also stated I wish McVay wouldn't have downplayed Goff so much after the GB game because that clearly meant to everyone (even myself) that he had given up on Goff and wanted a new QB. As a result, we were definitely forced to give up the 2 first round picks. I think we could have gotten him cheaper if he had just said good words about Goff in the GB game so that other teams wouldn't know he was wanting a new QB but then again a team like SF may have upped the ante if we had gone that route. So I am wrong about the two picks - shoot me.

What I was vehemently against was the "dogshitting" of Goff (yes I made that word up). And I still feel that way. Goff is a decent to good QB imho. I could be wrong but I am going to defend Goff until I am wrong about it. His last 5 games last year show me that he is a decent to good QB somewhere in the 10 to 20 range.

Edit - also I don't believe I ever got heated in my arguments. I usually try to give reasonable comments. They could be totally wrong in my posts but at least they are reasonable and I try to never put down people in their posts.

If I have ever put down someone in my posts, I apologize profusely to that person. Even people I have on ignore, I do not believe I ever put down their posts.

Great post. We disagree on Goff but that's fine.

The only thing I'll say - and I think this also serves as a response to some other posts talking about the trade compensation - is that the Broncos gave up FAR more for Russell Wilson than we did for Stafford, and they're probably in a similar tier. We had just given the Jaguars pick 25 or 26, so the best the Lions could have expected from those two picks are probably in that range. The Broncos, however, had to give up a top 10 pick.

So I don't think we could have gotten him for cheaper.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Great post. We disagree on Goff but that's fine.

The only thing I'll say - and I think this also serves as a response to some other posts talking about the trade compensation - is that the Broncos gave up FAR more for Russell Wilson than we did for Stafford, and they're probably in a similar tier. We had just given the Jaguars pick 25 or 26, so the best the Lions could have expected from those two picks are probably in that range. The Broncos, however, had to give up a top 10 pick.

So I don't think we could have gotten him for cheaper.

I'd give up FIVE 1st Rounders to go from Goff to Stafford.