OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Congratulations Ego GIF

MachS

Hall of Fame
@MachS won that thread in my opinion. He was full on in support of the trade for Stafford. I laughed so hard when he posted "sorry you have to sell your Goff jersey now." Here's a quote of that from the thread:

"Sorry you have to sell your Goff jersey now. Fact is we got a more talented QB. Do yourself a favor, go pull up some Stafford film and acquaint yourself."
Appreciate it my dude :fistbump1:. That was such an exciting day no doubt I was so happy. I think there were a few people who were ecstatic like me about the trade, a few people who hated it, and most were somewhere in the middle. I think it was the two 1st round picks that made some uneasy. But if you follow the thread, the more people started watching film and clips on Stafford the more people saw the arm talent and started getting excited. I just watched a shit ton of Lions games over the years because I loved Stafford and had him in a fantasy dynasty league. One thing I'll always remember about when he came out of Georgia- one of the draft analysts (cant remember if it was Keiper, McShay, or Mayock) said that Stafford was the 2nd QB he ever evaluated who could've gone from high school straight into the NFL. His talent and understanding of defenses was that good.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hindsight is 20/20. But let’s be honest, the Stafford trade was risky. It took belief from McVay that goff was not the guy and Stafford could be that guy - the guy he had not ever been. It worked out perfectly. I’m not sure even Stafford/McVay would admit that they truly expected it to work out so great and quickly - and result in a SB win year one. That’s the stuff of dreams. Luckily, us Rams got to experience real life dreams this past year. We all won.

Shuie3225

Starter
Hindsight is 20/20. But let’s be honest, the Stafford trade was risky. It took belief from McVay that goff was not the guy and Stafford could be that guy - the guy he had not ever been. It worked out perfectly. I’m not sure even Stafford/McVay would admit that they truly expected it to work out so great and quickly - and result in a SB win year one. That’s the stuff of dreams. Luckily, us Rams got to experience real life dreams this past year. We all won.
Winning a super bowl in year one was a dream scenario yes, but I just dont get how many people doubted McVay. At the time he had one of the best 4 year starts to a coaching career ever, all while being the youngest coach in NFL history. He literally turned the #31st ranked offense to the #1 in his first year. His second year we finished #2 in offense and went to the super bowl. Many pundits considered Goff a bust after his rookie year, and McVay helped him go to the pro bowl.

There were so many reasons to trust his opinion on the QB situation, yet many pushed narratives that he drove Goff out of town because he wasn't his "type" of QB or didn't want to coach him up and spend the time developing him. Which was all total bullshit. The more logical train of thought was through five years he saw all he needed to see and believed he couldn't win the super bowl with him. Could we have been very competitive with Goff and kept going to the playoffs? Sure I believe we could have. But McVay wanted that QB that could take us over the hump. And after seeing what Stafford did in the playoffs last year you just have to applaud McVay for the balls it took to make that trade and really respect how correct he was. Because there is zero chance in my opinion we win last years super bowl with Goff at QB.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Winning a super bowl in year one was a dream scenario yes, but I just dont get how many people doubted McVay. At the time he had one of the best 4 year starts to a coaching career ever, all while being the youngest coach in NFL history. He literally turned the #31st ranked offense to the #1 in his first year. His second year we finished #2 in offense and went to the super bowl. Many pundits considered Goff a bust after his rookie year, and McVay helped him go to the pro bowl.

There were so many reasons to trust his opinion on the QB situation, yet many pushed narratives that he drove Goff out of town because he wasn't his "type" of QB or didn't want to coach him up and spend the time developing him. Which was all total bullshit. The more logical train of thought was through five years he saw all he needed to see and believed he couldn't win the super bowl with him. Could we have been very competitive with Goff and kept going to the playoffs? Sure I believe we could have. But McVay wanted that QB that could take us over the hump. And after seeing what Stafford did in the playoffs last year you just have to applaud McVay for the balls it took to make that trade and really respect how correct he was. Because there is zero chance in my opinion we win last years super bowl with Goff at QB.
If McVay was so against Goff, then why did they give him a huge extension? That’s the issue I have. Hopefully they learned from these mistakes (Goff, Austin, etc. extensions and ultimately dead cap space with picks gone).

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Come on over to my other board. Ask the guys how I feel re: Goff/Stafford, you'll find out.
I am a member of Laramsfans board also and I can vouch for BrooklynRam. He is definitely all in on Matt Stafford as the Rams' franchise Quarterback. And to be sure he, like most of us, hopes that Jared Goff has success in Detroit; but his time as a Ram had come to an end.

~ArkyRamsFan~

BrooklynRam

Rookie

Stafford was the same guy he ALWAyS was, without Lions mucking it up. And yeah, Mcvay knew, 2 things. Goff Bad. Stafford Good.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is not a bad QB. He was given the keys to the vette and I believe he took it for granted. Now that he is driving a chevette if he can win and play at a high level then he will have truly earned it.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Really, anyone that didnt know it at the time should be ashamed of themselves
It doesn't matter if people were on board with this from day one, or day two or three, or day 100. There's no requirement that said you had to feel a certain way about it, and really, what is the significance of it?

As I recall, this board warmed up quickly to Stafford as the Rams QB. And most of us bought the Rams as a Super Bowl contender with him. People needed a little time to digest it, that's all.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

after the dolphins game mcvay threw out a couple of red flags that we talked about at the time. he mentioned a lack of preparation and urgency. i think goff was just too laid back for him when things started to go bad during a game. and wasn't putting in the work he wanted from his qb. this must have irked him for a while but that game boiled it over.

this, i think, was the time he began to press goff during games when he wasn't happy with the way things were going offensively. but goff didn't respond well to this treatment at all. he began making awful decisions when he just needed to end the play. he wanted to make something out of nothing but that was never his thing and he paid the price. that fumble against the whiners when he tried to make a few extra yards was horrible. and that int against the seafucks when all he needed to do was step out of bounds was the killer.

i think after the second whiners game that year mcvay had made up his mind. that was the first time he publicly called out goff. he wouldn't even call out the centre after he continually whiffed on every obvious passing play all year. so to call out goff was significant.

holmes going to detroit and stafford asking to be traded gave mcvay his out. and they took it before their season was even over. nobody will ever convince me the deal wasn't done before the packers playoff game.

now let's be clear. stafford made some horrible throws last season that turned into pick 6s. horrible throws that made him look really bad. but he made so many more good throws that they really didn't matter in the whole scheme of things. then he had a playoff run that dreams are made of and cemented him in rams folklore. now he has the chance to become the best rams qb ever if he can lead them to another superbowl win.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Stafford was the same guy he ALWAYS was, without Lions mucking it up. And yeah, Mcvay knew, 2 things. Goff Bad. Stafford Good.
Way to be "done on this subject". You made it almost 9 hours!

I've had a few New Year's Resolutions that didn't last that long.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Goff is not a bad QB. He was given the keys to the vette and I believe he took it for granted. Now that he is driving a chevette if he can win and play at a high level then he will have truly earned it.

Way to be "done on this subject". You made it almost 9 hours!

I've had a few New Year's Resolutions that didn't last that long.

I won't bring it up if nobody else does.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams went from a very good tier two QB to an established elite QB. I had no problem with the trade. What I have a problem with is all the hate some spew towards Goff to justify a trade that doesn't need to be justified. I looked at it as trading a QB that doesn't fit your system for one that does, just that simple. I think Goff will give the Lions the ability to compete in their division, so IMO it will work out for both teams.

Stafford is far from perfect and I for one isn't blind to them. He can be a turnover machine mush like Goff was at times. The difference is this version of the Rams can usually overcome those mistakes. Also, Stafford's production is better than Goff's so he can overcome his own mistakes as well.

We now know why Stafford's deep accuracy was shit at times. As long as Matt's elbow holds out he can further cement his legacy as one of the NFL's all-time greats. This year's roster has future HOFers all over it. Having Stafford, AD, Kupp, Ramsey and now Wagner makes this an impressive roster.

Stafford was the last part in his Ram machine to make it go. But we need to keep perspective in that he can't do it alone. Detroit proved that no matter how good the QB is, you still need a team and HC around him to realize his potential. That is true with all teams and it's why a team needs a great roster to make it to the Super Bowl and win it.

The Rams went away from their outside zone to an inside zone run game. Too many times the OL simply missed their blocks in that it requires some to initially double block to influence the ILB then one would come off that double and make the second level block to secure the gap. The technique and timing weren't there. This is one reason Corbett is gone and they drafted Bruss who has the athleticism to make those second-level blocks. This type of gap blocking technique requires a lot of practice. Because of the COVID limitations, that practice simply wasn't there. This is why I expect the inside run game to be better this year. Both the OL and the RBs will have a much better understanding of the concepts. RBs need to make their presnap reads inside out. On most inside zone runs there will be two targeted gaps dependent upon the defensive alignment. The RB must be patient and make the correct read. This is why Michel was better running between the tackles than Akers or Henderson.

If the run game improves like I think it will, Stafford will potentially be set up for a career year. Last year without Woods the Rams lost their X WR. They moved Jefferson into that role as both Kupp and especially OBJ are Y, Z receivers. Jefferson initially struggled at that new position. But with Robinson, they again have a true X WR. Slightly slower than Woods, but bigger and with the same good hands. Like Woods, Robinson is a technician running the X WR route tree like Kupp is at his position. OBJ would be gravy but IMO Robinson fills a role that OBJ doesn't. So IMO Robinson's value to this offense is greater than OBJ's. It would be nice to have OBJ but he's a luxury at this point. That's why he's going to sit it out waiting for a key WR injury in a contending team.

Tano

Legend
The Rams went from a very good tier two QB to an established elite QB. I had no problem with the trade. What I have a problem with is all the hate some spew towards Goff to justify a trade that doesn't need to be justified.
This times 1000

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I still remember a play in the second game against Seattle during Goff's last year. He was scrambling and he slid down like a half yard short of the first down marker and we ended up punting. The broadcast showed McVay on the sideline and he was trying to look calm but you could tell he wanted to explode and be like WTF Jared?

Tano

Legend
I still remember a play in the second game against Seattle during Goff's last year. He was scrambling and he slid down like a half yard short of the first down marker and we ended up punting. The broadcast showed McVay on the sideline and he was trying to look calm but you could tell he wanted to explode and be like WTF Jared?
Should have gone for it on fourth down

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well like the song says:
Yes, it's sad to belong to someone else
When the right one comes along

Goff was fine, no doubt, IMO, McVay was looking for someone who matched him from the neck up & once the league decided to cut off the communication in the QB's helmet from the sideline (McVay) Goff's play declined.

At that point McVay was looking for the right one and in Cabo, he was with Stafford and everything lined up for them to be together. It happens, in relationships and in sports to this point, we will all root for Jared because he met quite a bit to most of us, but Stafford is on another level at this point in his career & all of us are thankful that McVay recognized that and Enos Stanley Kroenke signed off and trading all those picks plus a QB he just extended.

1656872451567.png