Official Training Camp Thread - Day 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I noticed that Gaines was listed with a foot injury in Wagoner's report. Just glad it's nothing to do with his knee. Hopefully it's not a lisfranc.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie offensive linemen draw praise from the defense
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29997714.html#storylink=cpy

EARTH CITY, Mo.

Few have a better opportunity to gauge the effectiveness of St. Louis Rams rookie offensive tackle Rob Havenstein and rookie guard Jamon Brown than the Rams’ highly effective and veteran defensive line.

They’re facing the rookies in practice every day and defensive end Chris Long gave both of them high marks when asked to provide an early assessment Tuesday at training camp.

“I like those guys,” Long said. “The guard keeps getting better and better and I know people are really happy with him. Will(defensive end William Hayes) and I think the tackle has a lot of potential and he’ll be solid for us.

“Two or three years from now he’ll be very good, I really believe that. This year he’s just got to be good. He’s a rookie and he’ll have his ups and downs, but he’s fully capable of doing that.”

At 6-foot-8 and 321 pounds, the former Wisconsin All-American Havenstein occupies a lot of space but is still being thrown into a learning fire like other rookies in camp. He and Brown (6-6, 323) have the added pressure of being penciled in as potential starters, not an easy transition in a league full of blitzes and dominant pass rushers.

“He’s athletic, he’s big, he’s long and he’s coachable,” Long said of Havenstein. “He’s a hard worker.”

Long said one job of the Rams’ defensive line will be aiding the rookie linemen in any way possible. That might be testing them with a variety of moves and rushes in camp, or serving as a sounding board.

“If he’s got questions — and he’s had a couple — I’m here to help him,” Long said.

Another rookie offensive tackle with potential is Isaiah Battle, the former Clemson standout selected by the Rams in the NFL supplemental draft. rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked about his early progress at training camp.

“He’s still behind,” Fisher said. “He’s talented, but he’s behind from a scheme standpoint. So understandably, he’s going to be a step slower at everything he does until he feels positive about his responsibility.

“But athletically, he’s here because he has all of those traits. He’s long and he’s athletic. He lacks lower body strength right now and we’re pushing him through that. We’ll see how he is in a couple of weeks and expect him to play quite a bit in preseason games.”

Peacock visits Rams Park

While the focus of most fans’ attention Tuesday at Rams Park was the first full-squad, full-gear practice of training camp, a visitor attracted plenty of attention as well.

That visitor was Dave Peacock, the former Anheuser-Busch executive who is serving as one of the front men for Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon’s task force trying to build a new football stadium on the riverfront.

Peacock did a television interview, chatted with Rams General Manager Les Snead as well as Rams Executive Vice President Kevin Demoff.

Rams make a move

With cornerback Brandon McGee still out with a foot injury, the Rams on Tuesday released wide receiver Devon Wylie and signed former Auburn and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Trovon Reed. Reed, 24, is 6-foot and 190 pounds and also is a converted receiver.

In addition, Fisher said cornerback E.J. Gaines will be sent to Dr. Robert Anderson for further testing after a foot injury suffered Sunday in practice.

Safety Mark Barron (knee) participated in individual drills but not the full workouts.

Rams punter enjoys soccer, too

Rams punter Johnny Hekker spent part of his offseason working out with the new Saint Louis FC, a local professional outdoor soccer team based at St. Louis Soccer Park that competes in the United Soccer League.

“I had a great time,” Hekker said. “That’s an amazing team add to St. Louis soccer is very prevalent, has a big following here. Having that soccer team here is going to be great for the community.”

The adventurous Hekker, an All-Pro punter whose soccer career consisted primarily of a church soccer league up until fifth grade, took an active role when he attended a game.

“I went to a game and got to shoot some PKs (penalty kicks) with their goalie, Mark (Pais),” Hekker said. “He’s actually from Ladue, really good guy, local kid. They’re just working hard and grinding out some wins this season, which is fun to see for an expansion team.”

Hekker enjoyed getting a chance to hang out with the team’s raucous fan section, the St. Louligans.

“They’re fanatics, which is awesome to see in the soccer world,” Hekker said. “They’re a pretty special breed of people, so they’re fun to hang out with for sure.”

FRO

Legend
Reports vary from observer to observer, which is totally fine. Some guys don't practice as well as they play in games. I think preseason is a better indicator to me than camp practices.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris Long has a lot of praise four our rookie right side OLine. That's good enough praise for me, observers can be as critical as they want. He's very high on Brown.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I noticed that Gaines was listed with a foot injury in Wagoner's report. Just glad it's nothing to do with his knee. Hopefully it's not a lisfranc.
Don't even say it man! I'd rather it be a knee than a lisfranc. Those damn things can take even a couple years to fully recover from.

Alan

Legend
A55VA6 with doubts:
It's going to be tough. He's going to have to play out of his mind.
I think Givens is treading on thin ice that Rodriguez might just break.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/4: Chris Long Returns
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-84-Chris-Long-Returns/e9dd15ef-f6cf-4d45-806e-aba6cefb4c0f

The Rams’ practice on Tuesday was the entire team’s first in full pads, as well as Chris Long’s training camp debut. The veteran defensive end sat out the first several days due to a back injury.

“We’re so deep that the next man up thing is real with our group,” Long said. “I think it’s a cliché a lot of the time, but with our group we really do have the depth. And in that sense we are as good as anybody.”

This is arguably one of the better defenses the Rams have fielded in recent years and Long attributes a lot of that to having coordinator Gregg Williams back for a second campaign.

“It’s always better to have continuity and it’s something you can’t take for granted,” Long said. “It’s something that I know means a lot to the guys to have. And not only the continuity, but I really think we have the best defensive coordinator in the league. It’s fun to come to work for him every day and he calls the right plays and puts us in positions to win. So as long as we know the defense and guys are on the same page, we’re going to be pretty good.”

Long is entering his ninth season with the Rams, making him one of the longest-tenured players on this team. His leadership extends not just over the defense, but also to the entire team.

“It’s not only what he does inside the locker room, training room, and the weight room, but I think the guys really look up to the things that he has done off the field,” head coach Jeff Fisher said on Tuesday. “With the water stuff he is doing in Africa and the homeless piece he did, he serves as a great example for the young guys to take advantage of the opportunity and give back. Not only do they respect him for what he does on the field, but it’s also what he does off the field.”

Long enjoyed some of his most productive seasons from 2011 to 2013, but suffered a season ending ankle injury last year in Week 1. Although Long referenced the depth the Rams have on the defensive line, Fisher admits that the unit was impacted by his absence.

“I think there was an effect,” Fisher said. “There are sacks that we missed and big plays that we missed late in games. The other side of that is that is Ethan [Westbrooks] got a chance to play and we played some of the younger guys. But it’s good to have him back.”

UPDATE ON E.J. GAINES

Fisher said they are going to have the second-year cornerback undergo more tests before making any decisions. During Sunday’s practice, Gaines fell awkwardly after defending a pass thrown to Kenny Britt.

RAMS ADD DEPTH AT CORNERBACK

Fisher announced after practice that the Rams acquired another defensive back to the roster.

“We did make a move,” Fisher said. “We’ve got Brandon McGee who is about a week away, so we needed some help. So we signed the corner Trovon Reed from Auburn. We just wanted to make sure to keep our corners’ legs fresh.”

Reed converted from receiver to cornerback his senior year, recording three interceptions in 2014. He went undrafted and initially signed with the Seahawks this offseason.