Official Training Camp Thread - Day 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
A point that I don't think is being made enough is Williams is bringing it in camp. He's not laying up at all on this O line. When pre-season comes, the O line is going to be relieved to be playing a normal team!

I'm so excited for this pass rush GAME ONE. They are just freaking scary good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I haven't listened to Donald yet...gimme a sec....but Jamon Brown must be a beast....I wonder how good that tackle at Louisville was now?

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner sits down with the Fast Lane to talk Rams camp. They talk about the importance of seeing players in pads, how Mason is handling having Gurley right behind him, the depth the Rams have at Safety, McLeod looking good early, questioning Joyner’s size limitations, Cook looking good again in practice…can he finally have a break out year in his 6th year in the NFL.

Listen to Wagoner Talk Rams

Tortoise

UDFA
IMG_8028.JPG

50 yds is nothing!
IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8041.JPG
JJ scooping up balls

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In a bit of a surprise, Case Keenum was the starting quarterback with the second string players for most of the day. Toward the end of the day, Austin Davis stepped in with the second team, including during redzone drills. Rookie Sean Mannion took a few reps during warmups and looked sharp with a handful of accurate passes and a strong arm. It would appear Mannion is settling in nicely, but isn’t going to compete for the back up spot with Davis and Keenum.
Is it possible that the coaches feel that they've already seen enough positives from Mannion to look hard at Davis and Keenum for the final QB roster position? It's very early still(I get that) but reports on Mannion have been positive. I wonder if he's moved into #2 already.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram waving at the departing ship:
Is it possible that the coaches feel that they've already seen enough positives from Mannion to look hard at Davis and Keenum for the final QB roster position? It's very early still(I get that) but reports on Mannion have been positive. I wonder if he's moved into #2 already.
I'm pretty sure #2 was his to lose despite what we heard from various sources earlier. What's the point of playing Davis or Keenum if Foles goes down? So far it's looking like he hasn't lost it. Of course we haven't played a preseason game yet so...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure #2 was his to lose despite what we heard from various sources earlier. What's the point of playing Davis or Keenum if Foles goes down? So far it's looking like he hasn't lost it. Of course we haven't played a preseason game yet so...

This is a team that played Davis and never gave Keenum a chance last season, even though they were obviously impressed by him - enough to trade for him back. The major reason was that Davis knew the playbook. I think at least early in the season they would go with Davis or Keenum if Foles goes down, with Mannion being an option later.

Of course, things could change. If Mannion shows in preseason that he is a viable option out of the gate, and they want the roster spot for another position, I could see Keenum and Davis cut - especially since they would likely figure that Davis would still be available if need be.

But yes, we will know a lot more after seeing the preseason game rotation.

Alan

Legend
Akrasian posting too soon after watching Stallone in The Expendables:
This is a team that played Davis and never gave Keenum a chance last season, even though they were obviously impressed by him - enough to trade for him back. The major reason was that Davis knew the playbook. I think at least early in the season they would go with Davis or Keenum if Foles goes down, with Mannion being an option later.

Of course, things could change. If Mannion shows in preseason that he is a viable option out of the gate, and they want the roster spot for another position, I could see Keenum and Davis cut - especially since they would likely figure that Davis would still be available if need be.

But yes, we will know a lot more after seeing the preseason game rotation.
That's certainly a reasonable scenario but I really don't see them cutting both Davis and Keenum. Too risky. I don't believe that Davis is eligible for the PS this year and Keenum probably wouldn't make it though waivers. My main point is that I think, contrary to earlier reports, Davis and Keenum were/are always competing for the #3 QB position. It never made any sense to me to play either one of them when you have our possible future (Mannion) sitting on the bench. His showing so far just cements that view in my mind.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the record @Alan, I have never seen any of The Expendables movies. However, I DID greatly enjoy Stallone in Death Race 2000