Noteboom Injury update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I really feel strongly about trading for williams and moving whitworth inside he is a mauler still has his brute strength honestly think he would make a huge difference it would anchor the line I know Williams can play guard but I'd try whitworth at guard could even prolong his career if he wanted to. He wouldn't need to worry about that lateral quickness nearly as much and he can still run real well he can get out there and block. And I think as a team leader he would do it to light a fire under his teammates and show them what it takes to win. Got to make sacrifices. And with macvay being stubborn please form christ sake beg gruden to come in as a consultant. Need to reign McVay in can't force his way let gruden provide fresh set of eyes a different perspective . Don't understand why he won't go to a no huddle quick short play some Plays we have 4 talented recievers 2 talented tight ends we have the talent to do it. Goff works better like that too Why won't he do it damn don't get it

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is it really wise to spend more futures picks on a 31 year old lineman who we gotta pay big money? You do that for a final piece for a Super Bowl run not to plug one of many holes in the dike for a team that is treading water.

I like the playet btw and he would help us but what the Rams need to do now is play the youth to see what they have. And keep that pick because it might end up being a LT of the future or a stud interior OL or a shutdown CB or god forbid a nice edge for this defense that requires them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Noteboom's injury is a real bad for the rest of this season & it will have a Heavy effect the future OL in 2020 OTA's/Training Camp & Preseason too. As we well know the OL needs a ton of reps to gell for the beginning of the 2020 season. So now there is a big issue @ LT post in 2020 besides currently @ LG.

I'll try to paint this picture as positive as I can so understand that when you read my comments & say to self .....he is wearing his rose color reading glasses;).

Snead has drafted four long term starting OT's the last two drafts. I am sure the reason that Noteboom was starting @ LG post from the initial point of this 2019 season was in preparation so Noteboom would be fully ready to be the starting LT for Goff in 2020. The 9ers game Nuke'd that plan. That will not happen now so its back exploring the best other options available to this team.

Rookie David Edwards & Bobby Evans are the two primary prospects presently for the 2020 LT post with Whitworth retired & Noteboom is rehabbing event. Edwards has been active for all 6 regular season games thus fa. Evans has yet to be dressed. That says something to me on the present status of our top 2nd day OT draft selection......:poop:

Edwards must be the OL'er who has been getting the reps in practice while Whitworth has been getting rest on Thursday & sometimes Wednesday. So its Edwards time to step into the Noteboom plan that just went into the trash. I would also sign up our best OG option Chandler Brewer to prep him to replace Demby as back up OG ASAP.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Noteboom's injury is a real bad for the rest of this season & it will have a Heavy effect the future OL in 2020 OTA's/Training Camp & Preseason too. As we well know the OL needs a ton of reps to gell for the beginning of the 2020 season. So now there is a big issue @ LT post in 2020 besides currently @ LG.

I'll try to paint this picture as positive as I can so understand that when you read my comments & say to self .....he is wearing his rose color reading glasses;).

Snead has drafted four long term starting OT's the last two drafts. I am sure the reason that Noteboom was starting @ LG post from the initial point of this 2019 season was in preparation so Noteboom would be fully ready to be the starting LT for Goff in 2020. The 9ers game Nuke'd that plan. That will not happen now so its back exploring the best other options available to this team.

Rookie David Edwards & Bobby Evans are the two primary prospects presently for the 2020 LT post with Whitworth retired & Noteboom is rehabbing event. Edwards has been active for all 6 regular season games thus fa. Evans has yet to be dressed. That says something to me on the present status of our top 2nd day OT draft selection......:poop:

Edwards must be the OL'er who has been getting the reps in practice while Whitworth has been getting rest on Thursday & sometimes Wednesday. So its Edwards time to step into the Noteboom plan that just went into the trash. I would also sign up our best OG option Chandler Brewer to prep him to replace Demby as back up OG ASAP.

I like Edwards, He's a big dude that plays pretty smoothly at LT. I watched him very carefully in preseason and he looks the part. He even looked good against other teams No 1's. I know it's not a huge sample size but if he can develop even further than we have our LT spot covered.

People keep on asking why Edwards isn't getting any reps at Guard when we've had our injuries with Blythe and now Boom. I can see why we aren't playing him. If he gets hurt who backs up our tackles? As of right now he's our only swing tackle that can actually fill in and not be a complete dumpster fire. I can only imagine how Evens would do at RT or god forbid LT.
While I think he would fair better than Demby at Guard it leaves us real thin at tackle if something were to happen to him while filling in.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, the year's not over, but yeah, they have a TON of work to do on the OL and FA won't help much.

Kills me that Incognito seems to have gotten his head straight and is playing well for the Raiders. If Demby were playing as well as Incognito, we're not having most of this convo...
He has been a Pro Bowl level G for a long time. Even now that he is older he is a good G. Gets tons of push in the run game.
There are affordable vet FA options in FA usually.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Edwards, He's a big dude that plays pretty smoothly at LT. I watched him very carefully in preseason and he looks the part. He even looked good against other teams No 1's. I know it's not a huge sample size but if he can develop even further than we have our LT spot covered.

People keep on asking why Edwards isn't getting any reps at Guard when we've had our injuries with Blythe and now Boom. I can see why we aren't playing him. If he gets hurt who backs up our tackles? As of right now he's our only swing tackle that can actually fill in and not be a complete dumpster fire. I can only imagine how Evens would do at RT or god forbid LT.
While I think he would fair better than Demby at Guard it leaves us real thin at tackle if something were to happen to him while filling in.
I agree with why he isent playing but he also was bad in the preseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure agree with you on your thoughts on Chandler Brewer...I see something with him @ both OG posts. Brewer being inserted @ RG now would prepare him for his future starting post in 2020. Inserting Brewer in @ the LG post now would also bring future dividends in preparing him now for possible LG work over Demby. Demby is NOT the answer.

3rd round selection Bobby Evans preseason work was just plain awful. The Best way to paint it was the way I did it. True Evans maybe/might have improved but I have no ideal if this has happened or if he regressed. There is no information out there indicating he has risen above :poop: level. There is a good chance you & I will get a chance to get an update on Bobby Evans real soon.

I believe from what I observe that Evans best NFL position will eventually be @ RIGHT OT. I know he stunk playing OT & did fair a bit better @ RG, but he was a very good starting NCAA 40 gms for a championship team @ both OT posts, primarily @ RT.

Kromer/ Snead needed to find two very good future starting OG's for the 2020 season back before this 2019 season began. Thus far we have seen total failure in this area from both Snead & Kromer along with Bobby Evans!

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
how about we move blythe to center (did well there before) bring Edwards and evans in at guards(give them experience also to see where to go in draft). than mcvay needs to put in a bunch of three step drop passes. this gets the ball out fast also goff dose not have to make a lot of reads. the 3 step drops seem to ware out and frustrate dls . also run it alot. this is not like giving up on the season but it may save goffs career. and we get a better idea of where to go in the draft. also stein should almost always have a te by him

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Edwards played poorly when he got moved around to Guard. He did settle in tho, and once he did he did fine. But when he played LT he was pretty good. ask @BonifayRam
When your 6-6 1/2 tall & going somewhere from 300 to 308 Lbs having come from a TE background with most all college OT starts add in that his 2018 season he was playing with one working shoulder .......one would expect his strength is not even close to being what a starting NFL OG would mandate.

However. Edwards technical skills playing either OT post can be more readily positively displayed early this rookie season. I would not want to place him in a OG position where his current talents are not ready & then possibly retard his future LT development.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
When your 6-6 1/2 tall & going somewhere from 300 to 308 Lbs having come from a TE background with most all college OT starts add in that his 2018 season he was playing with one working shoulder .......one would expect his strength is not even close to being what a starting NFL OG would mandate.

However. Edwards technical skills playing either OT post can be more readily positively displayed early this rookie season. I would not want to place him in a OG position where his current talents are not ready & then possibly retard his future LT development.

Nicely said, I think the same can be said about Boom as well. He has some of the same attributes. And it's probably why he's been struggling at guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Edwards played poorly when he got moved around to Guard. He did settle in tho, and once he did he did fine. But when he played LT he was pretty good. ask @BonifayRam
From this Ram fans view from my man cave in TC/preseason Edwards overall performance @ both OT posts was the best player we saw in preseason. His technical side was off the scale IMO. David Edwards had his worse snaps come when bull rushed by a strong edge rusher. His play @ LG was far better than when he was inserted @ RG.

I would make Edwards #1 assignment from this point is preparation as our starting LT early next season. The 2nd part would be hoping that Noteboom torn ACL & MCL will be ready for some late 2020 action as the reserve LT.

I see no reason to move away from this Edwards objective to try to win a few more games to keep this team from being the NFL Western Division bottom feeder. Kromer has other signed LG prospects with Coleman Shelton, Jeremiah Kolone, Bobby Evans & Chandler Brewer!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The only guy he blocked all day and he got Boom hurt. Allen is too small IMO and I would make a change there.
You might have a good point here den.....Allen on the job performance Sunday was the worse I seen in some time maybe since the SB in February. Allen run blocking was better but his pass blocking was a gaping wide hole! Its obvious his inexperience has shown up big.

Snead & Kromer should be considering a possible future change with Blythe 6-2 298 / Shelton 6-4 299/ Kolone 6-3 316 or even the cut Aaron Neary another small guy 6-4 300 if they want to keep Goff from the Noteboom event.

We have a signed Ram OL'er who has much more NFL experience than Allen. His name is Austin Blythe. Blythe has never been considered as the Rams starting center. He has been involved with other OL positions since he arrived in the NFL.

Blythe may not have a future here as a Ram OG due to his size issues for a starting NFL RIGHT strong side OG. But just maybe, he might need an opportunity to showcase his center backpack skills here before he runs off in free agency after this season to secure a starting center post with a pay raise elsewhere.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm not convinced just yet that we are in all that much trouble at LT for 2020, I still believe Noteboom is the heir at the position. If Noteboom does miss some early 2020 starts, Edwards should be able to handle it for a few games.

If Havenstein doesn't drastically improve his game fairly soon, he may be the OT that finds trouble. Havenstein's dead money CAP hit is too great to trade or become a CAP casualty in 2020, but he could easily lose his job to Edwards in 2021, meanwhile the Rams have hopefully now found a long term LG in the very inexpensive Austin Corbett, and the only thing really left lacking is a strong RG replacement for free agent Blythe. This is where I sing the praises of free agent RG Brandon Scherff for the umpteenth time. At worst we have Chandler Brewer competing against Corbett at LG, allowing Corbett to perhaps compete against Allen & Shelton at Center. Just for insurance, the Rams use a mid-round 2020 draft pick for another potential OT/OG swingman for depth. A solid RG like Scherff should help both Havenstein & Allen, and Corbett may also help do the same with Allen & Whitworth on the left side. jmo.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope that Noteboom comes back fully recovered. I honestly don't think he was as bad as PFF says he was; he just needs to improve his run-blocking.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I hope that Noteboom comes back fully recovered. I honestly don't think he was as bad as PFF says he was; he just needs to improve his run-blocking.

Very true Mem. His pass blocking is not the issue. He just seems to lack the strength in the trenches to be an adequate run blocker.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Should Allen know not to throw ppl sideways in the pocket?

This is the exact question I came to ask. Was that a bad block, was it too harsh? He went at the guy and laid a good hit on him. I'm just curious what some of you more knowledgeable guys might say. Allen is certainly an aggressive blocker when he's got his guy locked in