Noteboom Injury update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, after being so successful taking risks, they thought they could take this one.

This one hasn't worked.

Doesn't mean Noteboom and Allen aren't keepers (I'm DONE with every one of our RGs.)

But yeah, after being so stable on the OL for so long...that much change coupled with the schematic challenges the Ds have given us was a recipe for hard times ahead.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno what everyone's talking about in this thread.

Is there an update on Noteboom's injury???

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Don't mean to act like a know it all, and I know other of you mentioned it before the season started but Mcvay and Kromer were being ignorant thinking they could let Saffold walk and then go into the year with 2 first year interior players and Zero veteran depth behind them.

I don't care what QB or permiter players you have, your offense is going to be garbage if your Oline isn't good and your depth sucks. And that is where we are.

We passed on Center McCoy in the draft who now is killing it with the Saints.

Don't get me started with the 2018 drafts where we thought we could get lesser talent later (Noteboom and Allen) and compete because our Oline coach was so good.

Mcvays drafts have devalued Oline for 2 straight drafts and now we pay the price of suckage.
You're not acting like a know it all.
Many here have shared your same concern.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Noteboom's injury! Can you update it!!!

*Insert Samuel L Jackson gif from Pulp Fiction*

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It was calculated risk.
Made sense on paper.
Execution.....not so much.

Actually, ... I don't think it made any sense on paper to replace one of the best run blocking LG's in the NFL with a future hopeful LT, all while starting him next to another rookie Center who also plays next to an undersized RG who struggled greatly in the Super Bowl. If anything, on paper it looks rather disastrous. We were told during the pre-season how Goff was practicing to read defenses better and get his passes off much more rapidly, apparently someone had already guessed the necessity in this.
Instead, the Rams opted to continue paying an extremely high price for Brockers who had his worst season as a Ram statistically in 2018, and paid an exorbitant price to keep Fowler around for another season.

Saffold signed a contract averaging $11.mil per for Tennessee
Fowler is receiving $12mil this season from the Rams and ...
Brockers is receiving $10,750 this season.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
True, but a) they had faith in the youngsters and b) I dunno that we had Matthews when they extended Fowler so the outside pressure without Fowler looked bleak.

Turns out that Ebu and others have done well and Patrick can play both inside and outside (he's gonna be a damned STUD) while the interior of the OL has struggled mightily.

Pretty sure if we could do it over knowing what we know now, we'd do it differently...

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually, ... I don't think it made any sense on paper to replace one of the best run blocking LG's in the NFL with a future hopeful LT, all while starting him next to another rookie Center who also plays next to an undersized RG who struggled greatly in the Super Bowl. If anything, on paper it looks rather disastrous. We were told during the pre-season how Goff was practicing to read defenses better and get his passes off much more rapidly, apparently someone had already guessed the necessity in this.
Instead, the Rams opted to continue paying an extremely high price for Brockers who had his worst season as a Ram statistically in 2018, and paid an exorbitant price to keep Fowler around for another season.

Saffold signed a contract averaging $11.mil per for Tennessee
Fowler is receiving $12mil this season from the Rams and ...
Brockers is receiving $10,750 this season.
I’m not arguing in favor of it.
I’m saying it was by design. This was their plan. To take a year to develop these guys to start. This would allow flexibility to build the D.
I had reservations about the OL. I did not think they would be this bad.
If it worked we would be saying what brilliant guys we have in our FO.
It’s easy to say now it was a mistake.
Obviously we have to see how it plays out because this is what we have....by their design.
The truth is it ALL makes sense if it works.
If the mid round draft picks were tearing it up and the D was giving up 17 per game and the team 5-1.....well its all strawberries and cream.
To say now should have kept this guy or that and not signed Fowler, Weddle etc is easy to do.
This is why the injury to Noteboom sucks.
It takes away a ton of snaps and (hopefully) time to grow and develop to help determine what the plan is NOW and going forward.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
How did we go from the BEST Oline in the NFL to the WORST Oline in the NFL in just one year?
I mean literally from best to worst, because that's what the numbers say.

fearsomefour

Legend
True, but a) they had faith in the youngsters and b) I dunno that we had Matthews when they extended Fowler so the outside pressure without Fowler looked bleak.

Turns out that Ebu and others have done well and Patrick can play both inside and outside (he's gonna be a damned STUD) while the interior of the OL has struggled mightily.

Pretty sure if we could do it over knowing what we know now, we'd do it differently...
That’s always the way.

That’s always the way.
At some points today Reeder, Patrick, Rapp And Gaines we’re playing.....four rookies playing at the same time on D. I doubt that was the plan.
I have not been overly impressed with Samson overall. He can do somethings.
I don’t think Reeder gets replaced by Hagar again this year either.

fearsomefour

Legend
How did we go from the BEST Oline in the NFL to the WORST Oline in the NFL in just one year?
I mean literally from best to worst, because that's what the numbers say.
I don’t think the Rams were the best but they were very good.
A conspiracy of things.

fearsomefour

Legend
If we look at it none of the rookies outside of Rapp are contributing in a positive way.
Thomas cost the Rams a turnover on a punt coverage....Henderson’s fumble was jv high school shit....Gaines got more time because of the Whiners run game, he has been ok, just there.....Reeder has been ok for a rookie....I like Reeder but I can’t tell if he has James L syndrome....a ILB that collects a lot of tackles 6 yards down field.
OBO still cannot get on the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m not arguing in favor of it.
I’m saying it was by design. This was their plan. To take a year to develop these guys to start. This would allow flexibility to build the D.
I had reservations about the OL. I did not think they would be this bad.
If it worked we would be saying what brilliant guys we have in our FO.
It’s easy to say now it was a mistake.
Obviously we have to see how it plays out because this is what we have....by their design.
This I can agree with.
Seems the Rams must have been aware fairly early, and as a big surprise to many Rams fans, that John Franklin-Myers was no longer in consideration as Brockers' heir apparent. During the pre-season Rams management pretty much ruled out any trade or CAP casualty status for Brockers, so JFM must have had a significant influence here. With Fowler it must have been a lack of confidence in Obo, and this was prior to Clay Matthews basically taking over for Ebukam.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
This I can agree with.
Seems the Rams must have been aware fairly early, and as a big surprise to many Rams fans, that John Franklin-Myers was no longer in consideration as Brockers' heir apparent. During the pre-season Rams management pretty much ruled out any trade or CAP casualty status for Brockers, so JFM must have had a significant influence here. With Fowler it must have been a lack of confidence in Obo, and this was prior to Clay Matthews basically taking over for Ebukam.

Well and Obo was still hurt, iirc.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Going forward I'm really rooting for OLB'ers OBO, Polite & Matthews to lead with Josh Carraway & Landis Durham stepping in to secondary roles. We are so stacked outside it seems Patrick may be better suited for the interior, at least in the short term. jmo.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Going forward I'm really rooting for OLB'ers OBO, Polite & Matthews to lead with Josh Carraway & Landis Durham stepping in to secondary roles. We are so stacked outside it seems Patrick may be better suited for the interior, at least in the short term. jmo.

Yep. I think Patrick and Littleton could be almost as dominant as the pair that was in SF, Bowman and Willis.

I'm big on both of them.

MachS

Hall of Fame
It was calculated risk.
Made sense on paper.
Execution.....not so much.

Yea I think they knew last year was our real shot. Knowing that Saffold wouldn't be back and man he played at borderline pro-bowl level the past two years. And I really thought Allen would be an upgrade over Sullivan, at least from a physical standpoint but boy was I wrong.

Now with the Gurley contract and the Goff contract, with a bottom of the league o-line, what can we expect in the next few years? I mean it is going to take 2-3 new players at least to get this line fixed, thats a lot of capital to invest. Whitworth will be retiring after this horrible year 100%.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, the year's not over, but yeah, they have a TON of work to do on the OL and FA won't help much.

Kills me that Incognito seems to have gotten his head straight and is playing well for the Raiders. If Demby were playing as well as Incognito, we're not having most of this convo...