Not impressed with the hands up BS displayed by the Rams WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1 - I think it was smart to use the NFL as a means to express their beliefs

- and if the Bengals wanted to protest ISIS it would be in my opinion silly because it doesn't relate to their community directly - although you could say it does it would be stretching things thin. Hence my example with Plinko and that the protest itself and the social significance of it matters most as to whether it is relevant or mot

2 - no it does not impact the community any more than drafting Michael Sam did in respect to the fact everyone still holds the same opinions as before as they clearly do now in the case of Ferguson / no straight guy suddenly had Sex with a dude cause the Rams drafted Sam, nor will Kroenke think about the WR's protest when deciding on how to play with his billion dollar toy
Fair enough.

I don't agree with you regarding point #1, but I can see your short-term effect argument as it relates to point #2.

I don't think the NFL is going to let this set a precedent. Lots of things happen (whether on a small or large scale) that players can protest, and I don't think you limiting it to a community-related incident is going to matter if this goes unchecked. Once you're permitted to use your employer's resources to express your political beliefs on a National scale, then there is virtually nothing that will be taboo. I, personally, don't want to see the NFL become yet another means to be force-fed individual opinions that I may or may not agree with.

Do you get where I'm coming from here?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Quite simply, if Mike Brown wouldn't have stolen some Swisher Sweets for the purpose of making blunts to get high, or if he hadn't bullied a store owner, or if he hadn't been walking down the middle of a busy street with his buddy, making cars swerve around them, or if he hadn't been disrespectful to a police officer when the officer told him to get out of the street, or if he hadn't attacked a police officer and tried to take his gun, then Mike Brown would still be alive today and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But for some reason, this kid has become some kind of martyr. I'm sure there are much better examples of someone who suffered a real example of police abuse than Brown.

And it upsets me that people are completely disregarding FACTS showing he wasn't surrendering, his hands weren't up, he DID attack a cop, which justifies the use of deadly force. Case closed. Stop making this kid to be the 'gentle giant' that he wasn't.

I was about 30 feet away from Britt and crew when they did this. A lot of people around me shaking their heads.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yep. It's a pickle. And more or less the reason I thought the players didn't think this through (not gonna say it was stupid, since that seems to be a sensitive word).
I'm super proud of our organization, team and WR's. This was a bold move that took guts. Time to wakeup the masses.

Athos

Legend
And it upsets me that people are completely disregarding FACTS showing he wasn't surrendering, his hands weren't up, he DID attack a cop, which justifies the use of deadly force. Case closed. Stop making this kid to be the 'gentle giant' that he wasn't.

I have to disagree about the labeling of facts. But hey, I'm a trained journalist (who hates the field and is transitioning to something else btw) and am steeped in cynicism.......You have stories and piss poor investigation imo.

But imo, nothing is really going to change unless patrol cars are equipped with cameras that not only show what is happening inside the vehicle but outside as well at all times. There's really no justifiable reason for that not to happen. Even more so, having all cameras turned on prior to confrontations of any sort.

That doesn't happen.....and I find it odd that dashboard cams (in this instance) doesn't appear to have been on, though I don't know if typical cop cars are. If they aren't, that's a black eye on police. If they aren't on at all times, even blacker black eye.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/nfl-rams-ferguson-protest

NFL says it won't discipline Rams players for Ferguson protest

By: LINDSAY JONES

(Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports)

The NFL will not adhere to a request from the St. Louis Police Officer’s Association to discipline St. Louis Rams players who did the “hands up, don’t shoot” pose used by protesters in Ferguson, Mo. during pre-game introductions on Sunday.

“We respect and understand the concerns of all individuals who have expressed views on this tragic situation,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

The police officer’s association issued a letter late Sunday condemning the players’ actions as “tasteless, offensive and inflammatory” given a grand jury’s decision not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of black teenager Michael Brown.

Five Rams players raised their hands as they walked out of the tunnel onto the field at the Edwards Jones Dome before Sunday’s game against the Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver Stedman Bailey said he and his teammates decided to make the gesture shortly before the game, and intended it to be something positive.

“Violence should stop. There’s a lot of violence going on here in St. Louis. We definitely hear about it all, and we just want it to stop,” Bailey told reporters after the game.

Tight end Jared Cook said he and his teammates wanted to show solidarity with protesters, because they had not been able to physically join them since the grand jury’s announcement was made last week. Cook said his family members went to Ferguson last week and reported back to him what they saw.

“It’s dangerous out there. None of us want to get caught up in that. We wanted to come out and show our respect to the protesters that have been doing a heck of a job,” Cook said.

Cook said he didn’t consider his teammates’ actions a distraction, and wide receiver Kenny Britt took issue with the notion that Rams players were choosing sides in a heated community issue.

“We are here making sure something positive comes out of it,” Britt said. “I’m not here for the police. I’m here for a great cause that could come out of this if people come together.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm super proud of our organization, team and WR's. This was a bold move that took guts. Time to wakeup the masses.
That wasn't bold at all. It was selfish. The masses aren't going to be any more cognizant of the way the world works because of Kenny Britt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kenny Britt took issue with the notion that Rams players were choosing sides in a heated community issue.

“We are here making sure something positive comes out of it,” Britt said. “I’m not here for the police. I’m here for a great cause that could come out of this if people come together.”
Uhhhh...

I take issue with the notion that you're not taking sides on an issue where you just took a side.

Other than that, my interest in this whole thing is waning fast.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If there's going to be no apology, then there's going to be at least one segment of the St. Louis population who will now want the team to leave.

Also, at least in the short term future, it's going to be kind of awkward if one of our wide receivers has his house broken into or his car stolen and he needs to call the police.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Fair enough.

I don't agree with you regarding point #1, but I can see your short-term effect argument as it relates to point #2.

I don't think the NFL is going to let this set a precedent. Lots of things happen (whether on a small or large scale) that players can protest, and I don't think you limiting it to a community-related incident is going to matter if this goes unchecked. Once you're permitted to use your employer's resources to express your political beliefs on a National scale, then there is virtually nothing that will be taboo. I, personally, don't want to see the NFL become yet another means to be force-fed individual opinions that I may or may not agree with.

Do you get where I'm coming from here?

For sure

And I think you'll find this an extremely rare case

A55VA6

Legend
I find nothing wrong with it and I'm glad the NFL isn't going to punish them. If they chose to punish them, then the NFL is a big piece of shit.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
If there's going to be no apology, then there's going to be at least one segment of the St. Louis population who will now want the team to leave.

Also, at least in the short term future, it's going to be kind of awkward if one of our wide receivers has his house broken into or his car stolen and he needs to call the police.

What I found yeaterday on facebook was a lot of people cussing the Rams. People who I know for a fact do not watch the Rams. They were talking about pushing them out of town. This was not needed at this time.

RamzFanz

Damnit

You are hoping that what they said back in August is true. Read what they said under oath and compare it to the forensics. There are no credible witnesses that Brown surrendered, that he was shot while on his knees, that he was shot on the ground, or that he was shot from behind. Zero.

I don't know which witness is which because they are secret, but one female admitted she wasn't even there. Johnson suddenly remembered that Wilson was yelling stop and get down repeatedly and that he never heard Brown say don't shoot. Several witnesses confirm Wilson's story and, even more importantly, they all align with forensic evidence the witnesses knew nothing about.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What I found yeaterday on facebook was a lot of people cussing the Rams. People who I know for a fact do not watch the Rams. They were talking about pushing them out of town. This was not needed at this time.

Who cares? A few pissy fans for a month isn't going to be what pushes Stan to give up on St Louis. I wouldn't worry about anything that Facebook says.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Speaking of John Carlos, who I cited in one of my earlier posts....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/01/john-carlos-how-about-those-rams/

John Carlos: “How about those Rams”
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 1, 2014

most-powerful-images-103.jpg
AP

Because of the uniforms which the league goes to such great lengths to keep uniform, and the helmets that lend a faceless quality to NFL players, it’s easy to forget there are people inside.

And because of the culture of uniformity the league insists upon, it stands out when any of them stand out.

That’s why another individual who was willing to speak his mind with a raised hand was proud of the St. Louis Rams yesterday, for their support of slain Missouri teen Michael Brown.

Dr. John Carlos rose to fame during the 1968 Olympics, when he and teammate Tommie Smith raised their gloved fists in a protest for human rights, turning the Olympic medal podium into a powerful pulpit.

“How about those Rams? They may be under contract to play football, but greater than that, they have a right to care about humanity,” Carlos told Dave Zirin of The Nation. “They have the right to feel whether something is just or unjust. They are entitled to their opinions, most centrally that Michael Brown’s life should not have been taken. Asking them to just ‘shut up and play’ is like asking a human being to be paint on the wall. They have the right to say what they feel in their heart.

“A lot more athletes need to step up and speak up as well. These atrocities have been going on and we are saying enough is enough. I remember saying in 1968, you think I’m bad, just wait until this new generation comes out. I feel like that new generation is here at last.”

Rams wide receivers Kenny Britt an Tavon Austin came out of the tunnel in the pregame and gave the “hands up don’t shoot” gesture to show solidarity with protestors in nearby Ferguson, and they were joined by teammates Stedman Bailey, Jared Cook and Chris Givens. Running back Tre Mason joined later upon scoring a touchdown.

Fortunately, the league hasn’t bowed to the local official who wanted the players disciplined. With everything that’s been done to regulate the speech, dress and individuality of players, that’s a solid, if small step.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A. The players absolutely have the right to express whatever opinion they want. It's just inappropriate to do so while wearing the Rams uniform while on the job at a Rams game. It ties the Rams to that opinion. And said opinion is based on a falsehood.

B. I haven't seen anyone associated with the rioters or called thugs just for disagreeing with the official conclusions. At least not here.

C. Your last quoted line there comes close to asserting that those who disagree with you are racists.

I'll state for the record that I'm not a racist. If the facts supported the conclusion that Officer Wilson shot Mike Brown while he was attempting to surrender, I'd want justice. Not because a white man murdered a black man, but because a human being murdered another human being. The facts don't support that, and I have to wonder how many who question those facts would still do so if it wasn't a white man shooting a black man.

I don't question your motives Boffo, nor do I think you are a racist. My response was directed at the topic as a whole, not RODs discussion.

I don't think everyone who disagrees with me is racist. That's a bit of a stretch to connect those dots from what I said.
I think racists DO disagree with me, for sure.
And that makes me feel good! Lol.

But let me make it clear, my post did not begin with a quote because I wasn't responding to anyone here. The predictable amount of finger pointimg and self hyped "outrage" toward the Rams on facebook and local radio is what motivated me to post my thoughts.

We just disagree about the situation, but we do so respectfully.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
That wasn't bold at all. It was selfish. The masses aren't going to be any more cognizant of the way the world works because of Kenny Britt.
If selfish, then what did Britt & the other WR's gain from this move? Seems to me they brought a world of scrutiny onto their doorstep, which is no fun at all.

As far as the masses, I hope your wrong.