Not impressed with the hands up BS displayed by the Rams WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And now, because they were selfish and not thinking about he team. There is a Facebook page called Boycott the St.Louis Rams with over 10,000 followers. Something that is so deeply rooted into political beliefs, should not be openly stated imo. I do not care one way or another how anyone feels on the subject, while it pisses me off to read several of these post, it's your right to feel it. Realistically this is split into liberal vs conservative. Not 100% but that's where the chips tend to fall from what I've noticed. MSNBC loves to blame the cop and FOXNN blames the dead man. When you have a struggling franchise who is dying to get a new stadium, the last thing you need, is your players pissing off a large portion of a political party. That is why I say it was the wrong forum.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm sorry but they are American and have the right to freedom of speech. This isn't corporate America in the normal sense, they are NFL players and have the right to express their thoughts just like Richard Sherman and the other WR did defending their teammate.
If they think OJ Simpson is innocent or Michael Brown did or didn't do it they have the right to support that. Is the league going to fine them? No. People are blowing this wayaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Regardless of what anybody thinks:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Enjoy a 50 burger shutout win.

What they don't have a right to is to use the forum of others to speak, we don't have the right to be on this board ,to say anything we please, the NFL and the network own the forum in which those players expressed themselves and are fully as capable of fining and or suspending them for that JUST like they did Jimmy Graham for dunking the ball over the crossbar in a preseason game.
Want another example walk up to a lady at your work place and ask her for some action, see f you don't get fired.
Speech is free forums are owned and you have to live by the rules of the forum if you want to use it.

As far as this being political, people have and will politicize it, but the truth is the truth and that rarely meshes with politics , because some people are using it to advance their political fortunes is no reason we as a board should not be able to express our dismay over players on our team propagating a lie that was sold to a community of people and caused their home town to be torn apart by a bunch of thugs.

I fully support the people of Ferguson in their desire to not have the flower of their youth gunned down by rogue cops, but that si not what happened and to continue that to pretend it is what happened exposes those who do as themselves bigoted towards police in virtually all instances.
If the league lets this pass it will be a precedent and next week (if we're lucky) Code Pink , PITA or Greenpeace demonstrations could occur.

It was at once inappropriate and divisive and if I were Fisher I'd certainly have a talk with those young men.

Athos

Legend
Not sure why people need to automatically assume it's only the Ferguson situation they're protesting.

IMO, the protests at large (I'm talking about the people genuinely concerned about safety, not the assholes taking advantage of the situation for their own gains like looters etc) are meant to protest the actions of police at large and their very poor judgement and the amount of people killed every year and the well....PROFILING that still exists.

Walk a mile in their shoes...........

I did the best I could in that regard taking an internship last year in the heart of Atlanta. Learned a lot.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I want to peacefully ask a question of the folks here who are on team Mike Brown. I don't want you to get defensive or attack another poster. I just honestly do not understand where you are coming from or how you can still support that side. Please explain why that after 60 witnesses all collaborated with the police officer along with every shred of evidence....how do you still think there was wrong doing? Is it a natural distrust in police? Personal experience? I believe there are plenty of bad cops who abuse their powers, but this man was a patrol cop there for over 6 years without a single complaint. Just peacefully, help me try and understand. I will not attack your answer, we all have reasons that we believe what we believe.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Not sure why people need to automatically assume it's only the Ferguson situation they're protesting.

IMO, the protests at large (I'm talking about the people genuinely concerned about safety, not the assholes taking advantage of the situation for their own gains like looters etc) are meant to protest the actions of police at large and their very poor judgement and the amount of people killed every year and the well....PROFILING that still exists.

I did the best I could in that regard taking an internship last year in the heart of Atlanta. Learned a lot.

Doesn't matter if it's ONLY or not, it's at part of it , the connection is undeniable ,why don't you think about walking a mile in the shoes of the business
owners who lost their buildings ,the people who are daily worried about whether their freedom of egress will be impaired by people illegally blocking their path to work or home or top their doctors appointments.

I can't walk a mile in their shoes , nor can they mine , but they haven't the right to keep me from walking where I am legally allowed,if they are wronged it doesn't give license to wrong another

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler

You effing nailed it

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In all their reporting yesterday and so far today, PFT never once mentioned the most dominating game the Rams have played in years. Instead they zeroed in only on this incident. That in itself ticks me off.
--------------------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/30/rams-players-raise-hands-in-ferguson-statement/

Rams players raise hands in Ferguson statement
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 30, 2014

ramshandsup.jpeg
AP

Five players on the Rams entered the field for today’s game against the Raiders with their hands raised, in a statement of solidarity with protesters in nearby Ferguson, Missouri, where a grand jury declined to indict a police officer who killed an unarmed teenager.

Rams tight end Jared Cook and receivers Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens raised their hands in pre-game introductions. Cook said they wanted everyone watching to know the Ferguson protests were on their minds.

”Everything about the situation touched me because it could have happened to any of us,” Cook told the Associated Press after the game. ”Any of us are not far from the age of Michael Brown and it happened in our community. I wouldn’t want to be in any one of those guys’ situations that it happened to.”

Athletes who weigh in on controversial topics are sometimes told they should “stick to sports.” Five players on the Rams decided to say that some things are important enough that they can’t be ignored.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-association-condemns-rams-ferguson-gesture/

St. Louis Police Officers Association condemns Rams’ Ferguson gesture
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2014

rams.jpg
Getty Images

Before Sunday’s game against the Raiders, several Rams players raised their hands in reference to the still-lingering controversy that originated Ferguson, Missouri regarding the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

After Sunday’s game, the St. Louis Police Officers Assocation condemned the gesture.

“The St. Louis Police Officers Association isprofoundly disappointed with the members of the St. Louis Rams football team who chose to ignore the mountains of evidence released from the St. Louis County Grand Jury this week and engage in a display that police officers around the nation found tasteless, offensive and inflammatory,” the SLPOA said, via KSDK.com.

The full text of the statement can be seen here.

“All week long, the Rams and the NFL were on the phone with the St. Louis Police Department asking for assurances that the players and the fans would be kept safe from the violent protesters who had rioted, looted, and burned buildings in Ferguson,” SLPOA Business Manager Jeff Roorda said, via KSDK.com. “Our officers have been working 12-hour shifts for over a week, they had days off including Thanksgiving cancelled so that they could defend this community from those on the streets that perpetuate this myth that Michael Brown was executed by a brother police officer and then, as the players and their fans sit safely in their dome under the watchful protection of hundreds of St. Louis’s finest, they take to the turf to call a now-exonerated officer a murderer, that is way out-of-bounds, to put it in football parlance.”

Roorda anticipated the argument that the Rams players have the ability to say what they want.

“I know that there are those that will say that these players are simply exercising their First Amendment rights,” Roorda said. “Well, I’ve got news for people who think that way, cops have first amendment rights too, and we plan to exercise ours. I’d remind the NFL and their players that it is not the violent thugs burning down buildings that buy their advertiser’s products. It’s cops and the good people of St. Louis and other NFL towns that do.”

For an issue that already was controversial and polarizing, it’s no surprise that the Rams’ gesture added to the controversy.

Athos

Legend
Doesn't matter if it's ONLY or not, it's at part of it , the connection is undeniable ,why don't you think about walking a mile in the shoes of the business
owners who lost their buildings ,the people who are daily worried about whether their freedom of egress will be impaired by people illegally blocking their path to work or home or top their doctors appointments.

I can't walk a mile in their shoes , nor can they mine , but they haven't the right to keep me from walking where I am legally allowed,if they are wronged it doesn't give license to wrong another

Excuse me? I believe I excluded the people who took advantage of the situation (i.e. looters). I have a sad fact of realism for ya, dude. In every bad situation or protest, there's some fucker out there that's going to want to take advantage of the situation.

I'm for damn sure not going to lump the people who have a legitimate problem, a legitimate fear, and a LEGITIMATE RIGHT to peacefully assemble and protest, with THOSE previously mentioned assholes.

And I don't need to walk the shoes of privilege, mate. Been doing that since the day I was born. This isn't about walking in the shoes of a "different income bracket."

This is walking in the shoes of a different cultural/ethnic background. I've grown up all my life with my best friends being of darker skin. They BS they have to suffer or worry about on a daily basis is what white people for damn sure take for granted every day.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patriots-packers-super-bowl-nfl-week-13/3/

Worth noting …
rams-ferguson-800.jpg

Rams receivers entered the field with a message on Sunday. (L.G. Patterson/AP)

The St. Louis cops are ticked off at the Rams.
The Rams hosted 50 business owners and clean-up-crew workers from Ferguson at the 52-0 rout of the Raiders—people who’d had their businesses torched or ruined in the wake of the announcement that officer Darren Wilson would not be indicted in the death of Michael Brown.

But five players touched a nerve before the game, entering the field with their hands raised in the familiar Hands up, don’t shoot mode of Ferguson protesters. A statement by local officers said: “The St. Louis Police Officers Association is profoundly disappointed with the members of the St. Louis Rams football team who chose to ignore the mountains of evidence released from the St. Louis County Grand Jury this week and engage in a display that police officers around the nation found tasteless, offensive and inflammatory … It is unthinkable that hometown athletes would so publicly perpetuate a narrative that has been disproven over and over again.”

The SLPOA stressed that forensics tests didn’t support the claim that Brown held his hands up. After the game, one of the Rams in the demonstration, wideout Kenny Britt, said the players weren’t taking sides. “Not at all,’’ Britt said. “We just wanted to let the community know we support them.” The officers said they would demand a “very public apology” from the Rams and the NFL today. The team had no comment last night.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Excuse me? I believe I excluded the people who took advantage of the situation (i.e. looters). I have a sad fact of realism for ya, dude. In every bad situation or protest, there's some freaker out there that's going to want to take advantage of the situation.

I'm for damn sure not going to lump the people who have a legitimate problem, a legitimate fear, and a LEGITIMATE RIGHT to peacefully assemble and protest, with THOSE previously mentioned assholes.

And I don't need to walk the shoes of privilege, mate. Been doing that since the day I was born. This isn't about walking in the shoes of a "different income bracket."

This is walking in the shoes of a different cultural/ethnic background. I've grown up all my life with my best friends being of darker skin. They BS they have to suffer or worry about on a daily basis is what white people for damn sure take for granted every day.

Names not dude nor mate , you suggested walking in another's shoes as a way of enlightening ourselves as if we were incapable of understanding the situation because we were not the ones feeling the pain ,I didn't say "privilege" and am not at all concerned with who your friends are , what I am concerned with is the implication that the officer in question ,is being crucified with a lie and maybe his shoes could be some you'd like to try a stroll in, or those of people provably being damaged, innocent people by people sporting the very mantra those players expressed.
If you can't see that implication that the police officer in Ferguson murdered Mike Brown is clearly present in the way those players expressed themselves , I can't change YOUR mind , but I can reply and say again, you said ONLY ,I said doesn't have to be only, and CLEARLY it divided THIS fan base,it injected race into the whole thing.
There are recriminations that the Grand Jury makeup being 3 black 9 other is an UNFAIR implication that just because they aren't black they must be bigoted towards black people and willing to let police officers gun black kids down and go unpunished,that sir is paranoia.
Now mind you just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean no one is after them , it does however mean that they will falsely believe people who aren't after them are.

Philly5

Rookie
Rams win 52-0 and a bunch of knucklehead players become the story. Figures.

They should have discussed their plan and received permission in advance. They did not show respect for Fisher and the organization and deserve a fine/suspension since they were 'on the clock' when they did their little routine.

The Rams were working closely with law enforcement to ensure safety and this was a slap in the face.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Many won't like this, but here it is:

These players have every right to question the actions of the police.
They have every right to disagree with the grand jury.
They have every right to acknowledge the situation and show support to the community that has been under fire.

I've noticed a disgusting and yet not surprising trend: anyone supporting the protesters have been demonized as "thugs" and rioters, grouped in with the worst.
That's absolute bull shit.
Way to show your true colors.

Seems to me, this has been completely politicized into a right/white vs left/black issue.
Shame on everyone who is playing these games. Sick of seeing frustrated white guys, pissed off at a black president, act like THEY have been treated wrongly, that disagreeing with a controversial finding of a grand jury is somehow paramount to committing a crime against America.

Cops, just like the people living in Ferguson, are just people.
Mostly good, some bad.
This attitude that an officers word should be enough is laughable and sad.
I'm willing to bet that I can guess +90% of where everyone stands on this case based solely on which station they get their news from.

This isn't about politics. It's about people. And it's about police and the use of Deadly force.
Michael Brown may not have been "innocent", but he isn't really what this is about either. It's about the police not being trusted by the community they patrol.

Most of all, I wish level headed adults on both sides would quit pretending to be SHOCKED and "outraged" by anyone who dares to disagree with them.

Grow up America.
(I know some of you are pissed. Well so am I.)

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
That was a monumentally stupid display, and the Rams will have to apologize.
Jeff Roorda made some monumentally stupid comments in retort, and will have to apologize.

If Fisher knew of this ahead of time and sanctioned it, then I'm supremely disappointed in him.

Why is it monumentally stupid? It has brought a lot of attention to their cause - aren't the Rams players entitled to expressing their position without it being labelled "stupid"

And how specifically is it "stupid" - is it just you don't agree?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Games are to escape the pressures of real life and this was not time and place to do this.

Not really.... being a Ram fan doesn't give me a disconnect from the world and I get to enter some fantasy land where everything is victorious - that would be true if we won the Super Bowl every year but we don't - football for me is extremely real life and is offers no escape

Now if we hung 50 on all teams we meet for the next year then YES I will officially disconnect from the Real World live in that fantasy world
Until then the Rams receivers have the right to support whatever causes they see fit

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to peacefully ask a question of the folks here who are on team Mike Brown. I don't want you to get defensive or attack another poster. I just honestly do not understand where you are coming from or how you can still support that side. Please explain why that after 60 witnesses all collaborated with the police officer along with every shred of evidence....how do you still think there was wrong doing? Is it a natural distrust in police? Personal experience? I believe there are plenty of bad cops who abuse their powers, but this man was a patrol cop there for over 6 years without a single complaint. Just peacefully, help me try and understand. I will not attack your answer, we all have reasons that we believe what we believe.
I just find a lot of things about this case hard to believe. Thats not so say I think this is some huge conspiracy but we all know Wilson has motivation to be found innocent, so is it that hard to believe a prosecutor would protect a cop? To me, it seemed like the prosecutor was not trying to get an indictment. It seemed (again imo) like he was going through the motions.

But nonetheless, I try to look at things objectively and listen to my common sense in situations like this. I have a few issues with the way things were said to have happened.

1) Michael Brown and Darren Wilson should have NEVER interacted. They conveniently tell you that Michael Brown stole dutches or tested positive for weed to make you believe otherwise, but when Brown was initially confronted it was for nothing more than crossing the street. IMO officer Wilson decided to harass a young black man for J walking and thus everything that happened as a result of this could have been avoided.

2) How can Michael Brown simultaneously have strength that (and I took this from wilsons testimony no lie) made Wilson feel like a 5 year old fighting hulk hogan YET Browns multiple punches did no damage? these are the injuries officer wilson suffered to make him fear for his life?
darren-wilson-injuries4.jpg

3) Keep in mind Michael Brown Died something like 120ft from where this altercation started. So if we are to believe Officer Wilsons testimony we have to also believe that a kid with a few bullets in him retreated as much as 120ft away than decides fuck it Im gonna turn around put my hand in my waistband, my head down, and charge this man...No I dont buy it.

oh and just FYI...Officer Wilson testified that Everything happened so fast he didnt have time to think AND that at one point he paused and thought do I have the right to lawfully shoot this kid...like what??? How can both of those points be true? Everything happened too fast to think and you still had time to pause and think? Yet we are believing his word like fact..sickens me the whole thing sickens me