New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope, they haven't said they're going to stay in St. Louis. On the other hand, they haven't said they were going to leave either. We can make assumptions based on past events, but nobody can claim they truly know.

Which was my point. I've said in the past in this thread multiple times if the Rams stay in St Louis though it'll be in a stadium Stan builds not one the city builds.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, they haven't said they are staying. All past comments though we're all pro STL and this current "play" came after they wouldn't update the dome and not just out of the blue. Why didn't they move last season?

My point is only that many believe it's a done deal that they want to move when that's not in evidence yet. A real estate developer bought land. He claims he might build a stadium. This won't be the first time an owner uses threats of moving to get what he wants.

If he does want to move and can't, I think he would want full control here and to profit off the stadium and surrounding businesses. It's what he does, and all hope of moving is pretty much gone. It just seems logical to me that he will want to take advantage of the situation.

Does anyone know of a team moving after a city offered to fund the majority of a new stadium?

The Rams, Raiders, Oilers, Browns all come to mind.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Rams, Raiders, Oilers, Browns all come to mind.

I'm more thinking along the lines of where we are now. Design, land purchases, funding, etc. My understanding with the Ram's move to STL was the offer was a last minute offer, no?

bluecoconuts

Legend
My bold prediction IF he wants to move and IF he is turned down and IF he doesn't want to participate in a new stadium, he sells the Rams.

I think he would stay on, but he probably will either scrap the Riverfront and make his own plan from scratch, or he'll stick with the plan but make his own stamp and get it to where he likes the plan, and the ROI is good for him.

Even if he is denied LA that doesn't mean he'll just be stuck and forced to take whatever St Louis offers. There are other cities he could look too if the offer isn't as good, not as lucrative as LA, but the threat could be real if there's not an offer that makes him excited. They can deny him LA, but they can't force him to take St Louis.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think he would stay on, but he probably will either scrap the Riverfront and make his own plan from scratch, or he'll stick with the plan but make his own stamp and get it to where he likes the plan, and the ROI is good for him.

Even if he is denied LA that doesn't mean he'll just be stuck and forced to take whatever St Louis offers. There are other cities he could look too if the offer isn't as good, not as lucrative as LA, but the threat could be real if there's not an offer that makes him excited. They can deny him LA, but they can't force him to take St Louis.

It would require a court battle to prove that the NFL, under today's agreements, couldn't prevent a move. It's not a given at all. The Rams have already stated it was up to the owners so I doubt we'll find out with the Rams.

They can't force him to buy into the stadium, but what other choice would he really have?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Are we moving yet?
I haven't packed a thing, so if someone could throw me a heads up, that'd be great.

RamBill

Legend
Los Angeles Rumors Will be 800-Pound Gorilla at Rams Training Camp

Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/07/24/los-angeles-rumors-will-800-pound-gorilla-rams-training-camp/

The 2015 St. Louis Rams initiate full squad Training Camp on Friday, July 31st in Earth City, MO.

While training camp typically produces discussion about position and roster battles, the 800 pound gorilla at Rams Park will continue to be the franchise’s possible move to

Rams’ owner Stan Kroenke publicly continues to lobby efforts to move the team into his proposed palace in Inglewood, CA.

Kroenke has been accused of trolling tactics by scheduling his team to practice against the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, CA, on August 17th and 18th. A third practice involving only the Rams will take place the following day on August 19th.

Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones predictably inserted himself into the story by telling Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News last month that he understood the relationship of the fans of the Los Angeles area to the current NFL team in St. Louis.

“With the initial focus groups and the initial [look-sees], the Rams are a very popular team in Southern California. And so, one of the reasons that it was attractive to us to work against them is because they have that good flavor.”

“It is certainly not a reach at all to say that fans remember the Los Angeles Rams, and that is not a reach. So that makes them a good partner to practice with in the Los Angeles area.” Jones said.

While Oxnard’s proximity to Inglewood isn’t a coincidence to Rams’ fans fearing the team is leaving, head coach Jeff Fisher, says it’s nothing more than a coincidence.

On the final day of OTA’s in St. Louis, Fisher emphasized it was one of those things that just happened to work out that the Cowboys needed a dance partner for practice.

“The two are not related. The Cowboys have practiced against somebody just about every year there. The facility is such that it welcomes another team. So we talked to a number of teams besides the Cowboys about working together with them, and Cowboys is really the only one that worked out.” Fisher said.

“I think big picture it will help us. We wouldn’t do it if we didn’t think it was going to be beneficial. Depending on the play time for the starters in the first preseason game, this creates another opportunity for them to compete and get better aside from preseason games. You have a full padded practice against another opponent.” Fisher added.

The positive aspects of practicing against another team during the preseason certainly has merit, but the motives in this case are certainly up for debate.

Fisher will no doubt field questions about the unusual mitigating circumstances again, most likely after the first Training Camp session.

He’ll predictably deflect to happenstance, and be eager to field questions about his players and the upcoming season that kicks off at the Edward Jones Dome on September 13th against the defending NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks.

Without question, the fans would love to hear about the roster and the updates to the rookies and what players are to be cut or who the resident camp leg is going to be.

Unfortunately, fans’ attention won’t likely stray from the relocation question until the franchise secures (or fails to secure) a long-term future with the city.

Fisher doesn’t want to talk about it, and the fans certainly don’t want to hear it, but neither party has a choice in the matter.

Until Kroenke or the National Football League clears up the situation, either for the good or bad for St. Louis, Rams fans in St. Louis will find themselves consumed with the uncertainty.

That’s life for local Rams fans. Unwavering support for a team despite an owner that isn’t committed to the market is expected. Although the city and its fans have supported the franchise well beyond the production on the field, both are expected to continue in that fashion until the powers that be finally make a decision.

The NFL is in an untenable situation.

Kroenke and Jones have made their intentions clear by their actions and their voices. St. Louis Rams fans have been just as demonstrative and talkative.

The League can either placate the owners or the fans. It most likely will do neither. The NFL isn’t a billion-dollar company by accident. This decision will be based on money. It always is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It would require a court battle to prove that the NFL, under today's agreements, couldn't prevent a move. It's not a given at all. The Rams have already stated it was up to the owners so I doubt we'll find out with the Rams.

They can't force him to buy into the stadium, but what other choice would he really have?

Depends. He'll probably sit happily with his friendly lease for at least a good while. If St Louis doesn't budge on the deal, he can just let the lease expire, which then essentially closes those loopholes, and suddenly he's probably clear to relocate to another city if he did choose.

I can see the NFL telling Stan they're going with Carson and he won't get votes to move. However to think that Kroenke would then just roll over and take a deal that at face value looks to not be worth his investment in terms of what he gets out of it, especially long term, seems a bit niave.

Again. I can see the NFL picking Carson. I can see Kroenke making things work in St Louis. I don't see him agreeing to anything unless it benifts him the most. LA or no LA, he still holds almost all the cards.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Depends. He'll probably sit happily with his friendly lease for at least a good while. If St Louis doesn't budge on the deal, he can just let the lease expire, which then essentially closes those loopholes, and suddenly he's probably clear to relocate to another city if he did choose.

I can see the NFL telling Stan they're going with Carson and he won't get votes to move. However to think that Kroenke would then just roll over and take a deal that at face value looks to not be worth his investment in terms of what he gets out of it, especially long term, seems a bit niave.

Again. I can see the NFL picking Carson. I can see Kroenke making things work in St Louis. I don't see him agreeing to anything unless it benifts him the most. LA or no LA, he still holds almost all the cards.

I agree. If he even wants to move and is told no, he will want to make the stadium here serve him. I don't see him just stone walling STL, though. It's bad business and the NFL will have no sympathy. Teams are begging for a deal like STL is offering.

His lease at the dome was year to year last season, no?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree. If he even wants to move and is told no, he will want to make the stadium here serve him. I don't see him just stone walling STL, though. It's bad business and the NFL will have no sympathy. Teams are begging for a deal like STL is offering.

His lease at the dome was year to year last season, no?

I don't believe so, this should be the first year he was able to leave.

I agree, I don't see him stonewalling St Louis either, as long as both sides are sincere at the negotiating table. The biggest mistake would be to assume he has no more power and he has to accept what they offer. I'm a little worried because they came off that way before a little. I think Peacock would keep a cool head, not so sure about Nixon.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An article quoting Marc Ganis doesn't usually pass the smell test. I think he's been arrested more than Policy has.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Well Carmen policy is stoked about it.

See how he makes his case to nfl owners here.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/policy-673972-nfl-league.html

This almost seams like a press release. The quotes are old ones and don't take into account the temporary stadium dilemma for 2 teams coming at the same time.

" Policy said the best option is to move two teams to Los Angeles simultaneously. He said that while it already is a two-team market its growth means the area’s population could surpass New York’s in the near future, further establishing it as a two-team market."

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Oh I don't, born and raised there, left for college and been in KY ever since. My whole family still lives in the Lou though, it will always be home to me on some level.
I was just curious if you remember the floods of '93. The stadium is designed to be 3 feet above the highest flood point of that. You'd damn near have to build Noah's Arc if we experienced floods 3 foot higher than those...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Makes about as much sense as listening to Fred Roggin.

Yes and no, Roggin is a tool, but he's still a reporter who takes his job seriously, he wouldn't put out misinformation or anything like that, and typically likes to be a straight shooter. He obviously wants to be right about Inglewood, and thus would probably like to see Carson fail for personal reasons (although he has admitted that he wins either way, so he's fine with either happening), and while he'll verbally click bait people (I have some news, so listen to my show!) to get ratings, he wont lie or make shit up.

I would believe Roggin over Policy for the fact that Roggin only has his pride on the line if he's wrong, Policy on the other hand has a job and money on the line. Obviously Policy knows more about the situation, but he has far more incentive to lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.