New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyl711

Starter
You may be right but I doubt that would include many of the Rams fans that have followed the Rams the entire time they have been in St Louis.
I still followed the football Cardinals, watched every game after they left. couldn't imagine rooting for anyone else, then the Rams got here and as soon as the season started I forgot all about the Cardinals. plus the generation that has grown up not knowing the Rams as an LA team wont have that emotional bond with the team, so it wont matter to them who becomes their new team, if they are football fans they will embrace whatever team lands there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The thing is he probably gets more by being the owner of the LA Rams than he loses by leaving St Louis. Sure, St Louis fans would care, especially if they don't have a team that replaces the Rams, but would other fans care? I'd have to say the vast majority wouldn't care at all. Did people say "Oh I can't like the Titans, Bud Adams left Houston for no reason other than to make more money!"

No, I never heard a peep about that. I'm sure Houston fans were plenty salty, but the vast majority? I don't really think so. Ultimately I don't think Stan backs away because he's afraid his legacy among St Louis takes a hit.

But that's my entire point. He isn't going to do anything because of how it makes other people view him. He's not gaining anything but money by owning the L.A. Rams vs the St Louis Rams. The rest of the universe simply doesn't care. It'll be love in one state, hate in one state, and absolute apathy in all the rest.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yeah - I have to admit, I only know what the FA Cup is because I looked it up. Sadly, I had looked it up before but couldn't even remember what it was called.

I'm not taking it as a put down but just as there are still Cards fans in St Louis (and there are), there would be Rams fans in LA - just more of them due to sheer numbers. There would no doubt be less if LA had another team but who knows how many really.

As I've said before, I moved from LA long before the Rams did so there wouldn't really be any reason for me to follow a different LA team anyway.

There are still Cardinals fans in STL. The five of them meet every Tuesday. :)

I'm talking the majority of fans, though. Not the few and far between odd guys.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Because this is a Rams board, where we tend to be a little more invested than your average fan. It's my feeling that the residents of LA and St Louis would be very happy being an NFL city, regardless of team. When faced with a team or nothing, I've no doubt most fans would take having a team, and it would take one good season to win the rest over. Just like how the ST Louis football cardinal fans disappeared without a trace after 1999. The only reason LA still gives a hoot about the Rams is because they've had nothing else. And that's not a put down.
It still doesn't change the fact that many wouldn't be just fine with the NFL removing the Rams and replacing them with the Raiders. They may come around eventually (myself included), but I wouldn't be happy with it. Of course I would rather be an NFL city, but I'm not going to jump for joy because they're replacing a team I rooted for for 20 years with another one.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It still doesn't change the fact that many wouldn't be just fine with the NFL removing the Rams and replacing them with the Raiders. They may come around eventually (myself included), but I wouldn't be happy with it. Of course I would rather be an NFL city, but I'm not going to jump for joy because they're replacing a team I rooted for for 20 years with another one.

I'm not saying you would right off the bat. Two years from now, you'd might be ok though. Or if a miracle occurs and Carr pans out, has a monster year and the St Louis Raiders go 10-6 in 2016 with a playoff run, I'd guess most here would be just giddy. I'm not happy the Rams might leave either, the Raiders certainly aren't my first choice of replacement. But it may be that or Bingo with the wife on Sundays. I know which way I'm choosing.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
when the Rams came to St Louis I had a very hard time imagining I would ever care about them, but by the time of the season opener that first year I was hooked. LA would embrace whatever team goes there IMO.

I live 40 miles from LA. I stayed a Ram fan.... I am even PSL holder at the Dome. Some people in LA might, but there are a few thousand Ram fans here in Southern California. I think people from St Louis better resemble embracing whatever team goes there.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I think it's fair to say that Rams fans want their team to be the Rams.

And wherever the Raiders end up, they will have fans, though it may not be any of us...

Can you define "Rams fans" ? Your wording is a bit confusing.

tonyl711

Starter
I live 40 miles from LA. I stayed a Ram fan.... I am even PSL holder at the Dome. Some people in LA might, but there are a few thousand Ram fans here in Southern California. I think people from St Louis better resemble embracing whatever team goes there.
I disagree, there were several thousand Big Red fans here still when the Rams moved here, enough to where every Big Red game was shown on TV after they left all the way until the Rams came here, so we still got to see all their games. the people in LA don't have the Rams on TV every week. I would bet my last dollar that LA would embrace any team that moves there. sure there will still be Rams fans there, just like there are still Big Red fans here, but just like here the Rams would take a backseat to whatever team moved there in the majority of peoples eyes,

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I disagree, there were several thousand Big Red fans here still when the Rams moved here, enough to where every Big Red game was shown on TV after they left all the way until the Rams came here, so we still got to see all their games. the people in LA don't have the Rams on TV every week. I would bet my last dollar that LA would embrace any team that moves there. sure there will still be Rams fans there, just like there are still Big Red fans here, but just like here the Rams would take a backseat to whatever team moved there in the majority of peoples eyes,

I agree.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

What do you mean by that?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
What do you mean by that?

I mean that football fans from St Louis were willing to stand behind any team that came to town.....ie the Stallions, and no Cardinal fans left in town. Along with most people from this board from St Louis who have said that if the Rams leave they will not follow the Rams anymore. In comparison to a few thousand Ram fans in Southern California who have remained fans of the Rams, I guess the original poster is correct in saying that LA will embrace a new team. It is a very general statement. I think there will be many younger people who would take on a new team in LA, whoever it may be, but I think it wouldn't be as many as he is suggesting.

rams2050

Starter
I will not be very happy if the Rams' leave. And I supported them when they were in LA; they have always been MY team, although they shared allegiance with the Cardinals during the Don Coryell years.

But enough is enough. It just isn't fair to have gained the team of your dreams (trips to two SBs, winning one, being cheated out of the other) only to lose it less than two decades later.

I know that I may think it's not fair, but only Stan K (and doesn't that nickname fit?) can make the determination of what he will ultimately do with the team.

I hope he sells it to a consortium headed by Peacock, but we probably won't be that lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Interesting discussion. I followed the Arizona Cardinals from 1988 through 1995 when the Rams got here and immediately became a St. Louis Rams fan. I bought season tickets for the Rams when I was financially able to do so (2002 I believe). It's hard to imagine me not following 'my' team... but if they do move on and another team comes here, I'm sure I'll become a fan of the new team, while still liking the Rams. I lived in Indianapolis for a couple years and to this day I still like the Colts because they became 'my' hometown team, and that's when they were just horrible! Obviously people jump on board when a new team comes to town otherwise everyone in this town would still be Arizona Cardinals fans.

rick6fan

UDFA
I will not be very happy if the Rams' leave. And I supported them when they were in LA; they have always been MY team, although they shared allegiance with the Cardinals during the Don Coryell years.

But enough is enough. It just isn't fair to have gained the team of your dreams (trips to two SBs, winning one, being cheated out of the other) only to lose it less than two decades later.

I know that I may think it's not fair, but only StanK (and doesn't that nickname fit?) can make the determination of what he will ultimately do with the team.

I hope he sells it to a consortium headed by Peacock, but we probably won't be that lucky.

I know how you feel. I too am a life-long Rams fan from the St. Louis area. It was a dream come true when MY team moved to MY city.

It would be like dating the woman of your dreams, bringing her home, and having her fall in love with your brother. You'd still get to see her, but it wouldn't be the same.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I mean that football fans from St Louis were willing to stand behind any team that came to town.....ie the Stallions, and no Cardinal fans left in town. Along with most people from this board from St Louis who have said that if the Rams leave they will not follow the Rams anymore. In comparison to a few thousand Ram fans in Southern California who have remained fans of the Rams, I guess the original poster is correct in saying that LA will embrace a new team. It is a very general statement. I think there will be many younger people who would take on a new team in LA, whoever it may be, but I think it wouldn't be as many as he is suggesting.

Could be you're right, but the big hole in that argument is that St Louis has had options and LA has had none. It looked very much like the Stallions would come here, and of course the Rams did. Nothing close to that has happened in LA. Unless you count the Vikings transparent leverage ploy. But let's say for arguments sake they did move there. Do you think you'd still have your Rams fans if the Vikings were there locally on Sunday playing in a new stadium, having bought into the town?

TBH, I find the ability some St Louisans have shown to be city first fans admirable. To me, it shows civic pride in a sense, supporting another team that buys in and wants to be here, moving on to the future. much better than moping over an organization that tells us to get lost. But if course, that's just my view of things. No right or wrong answers.

rick6fan

UDFA
Wonder what he means by this??

twitter.com/kdemoff/status/593760413809938432

View: https://twitter.com/kdemoff/status/593760413809938432

kdemoff.JPG

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Because this is a Rams board, where we tend to be a little more invested than your average fan. It's my feeling that the residents of LA and St Louis would be very happy being an NFL city, regardless of team. When faced with a team or nothing, I've no doubt most fans would take having a team, and it would take one good season to win the rest over. Just like how the ST Louis football cardinal fans disappeared without a trace after 1999. The only reason LA still gives a hoot about the Rams is because they've had nothing else. And that's not a put down.
I see your point blue4 but I live here and take the pulse of the hood and it is consistent with this board and the NFL poll which had Rams fans in LA outnumbering Raiders fans 5 to 1 with the Chargers half of that.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I feel ya, and we want the Rams to stay. If L.A. fans who haven't had an NFL team at all for over 20 years don't want the Raiders there, then why do many think Stl fans will be ok with the NFL removing the Rams and replacing them with the Raiders?
I really don't think you want the Raiders there. Anyone but them. What a drag this is for all of us.
Good luck to all!
GO RAMS

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD

Bro there were 25 to 30,000 LA Rams fans in colors at the Chargers game. That's a few more than a few. And those are just the ones who took the trek.

Thank gawd for DTV NFL ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.