New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

I had In-N-Out before. I don't understand what all the hubbub is all about. It's your typical diner burger. Nothing beats home cooked anyway.

Carry on.

it's delicious... only good thing about california! :D :fighting:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Maybe I'm a nutcase but I have this crazy thought that the second team in Inglewood might be a load of bullshit. Because what a great thing it will be for teams who are looking for new stadium deals to have a spot open in a state of the art stadium that they can threaten to move too. I think it's worth more to the NFL having a vacancy their.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Goodell says only one stadium for LA
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_84b17867-4bee-5f4c-825a-b821f7081b42.html

In an interview with Charlie Rose of "CBS This Morning," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league will have to decide between two stadium proposals in the Los Angeles area.

“We have two proposed, but we have to pick one or the other," Goodell told Rose. "It’s not likely we’ll pick both stadiums.”

That's an understatement.

Not that this news should surprise anyone that's paid attention to the Los Angeles saga. The NFL wasn't going to allow three teams to move from their current markets to set up in two stadiums in Los Angeles.

So it will come down to a choice between Stan Kroenke's plan in Inglewood and the Carson proposal that would house the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders, who are partnering on the project.

Kroenke, the Rams owner, aggressively tried to jump the line and stake a claim on the LA market by announcing his stadium plan in early January.

The Chargers and Raiders countered on Feb. 19 by announcing their joint intention to construct the Carson stadium.

Kroenke's proposed venue ($1.86 billion) is more extravagant and exciting.

The Carson proposal ($1.7 billion) offers better freeway access and can give the NFL a two-team presence in Los Angeles.

Of course, given the wheeling, dealing and conniving that takes place in the NFL it's possible for Kroenke to entice the Raiders or Chargers to join him in Inglewood.

It's strongly believed that Kroenke would like to have the only team in the LA market. But having a tenant and a second NFL team in his I-wood complex presumably would be preferable to getting shut out of Los Angeles altogether.

And if Kroenke can lure the Chargers or Raiders to Inglewood, the team that doesn't end up with a new stadium in SoCal could look to St. Louis for a new start.

Needless to say, Kroenke may not receive league approval to move. And then he'd have to make a big decision between staying in St. Louis for 2016 -- or bolting to LA to likely set off a pitched battle that would pit NFL lawyers vs. the Kroenke lawyers.

Just a reminder:

• The NFL will do what it wants to do. Words are meaningless. And relocation rules are meaningless until the NFL proves otherwise.

• This game is far from over; there are many variables in play.

• The strategy will take more turns.

• The NFL will do what it wants to do.

• And finally ... the NFL will do what it wants to do.

As for now ...

"In San Diego, Oakland or St. Louis we would like to know can a stadium get built there and can a team be successful long-term," Goodell told Rose.

(The "can a team be successful long-term" gives the NFL the wiggle room to justify any decision.)

St. Louis has clearly made more progress on the stadium front. San Diego and Oakland are trying to catch up.

There isn't much hope for a new stadium in Oakland, and San Diego's efforts have failed (at least so far) to satisfy the Chargers.

As for the ongoing effort in St. Louis, Goodell offered encouraging words Friday in comments made at an annual gathering of the Associated Press Sports Editors.

In remarks that were oddly underplayed or ignored nationally and in St. Louis, Goodell said:

"We think it’s exciting. We think they’ve made a lot of progress. To the point where they’ve identified the site, identified various funding sources, identified design plans, that we think is responsive to having a franchise be successful in St. Louis. I would tell you that I think they’re continuing down a path that is a very positive path.”

“I think we’ve been very clear with every community, including the L.A. communities, that we want to see real progress,” Goodell said. “It has to be substantial. ... This is not a new issue to any of these communities, including San Diego. I think this is 13 or 14 years they’ve been working on a stadium.”

Contrast that to comments made by Goodell when assessing the situation in Oakland and San Diego.

"I think we’ve been very clear with every community, including the L.A. communities, that we want to see real progress,” Goodell told the editors. “It has to be substantial. This is not a new issue to any of these communities, including San Diego. I think this is 13 or 14 years they’ve been working on a stadium.”

Goodell, of course, is excited by both stadium plans in LA, saying that they have the potential "to be successful for generations going forward.”

But now, according to Goodell, the NFL will choose only one.

Thanks for reading ...

- Bernie

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I see a lot of Steelers stickers, and had a few good friends who were Packers fans. I see a lot of 49er fans as well, it's just what happens when there is no team. A lot of those people would jump on the "whatever team is here" bandwagon, but there would likely still be many Rams fans still here as well. A lot of those fans are fans for life, doesn't matter who is where.

That's the exact thing my friend Bob said many a year ago. A fan for life. Then the GSOT happened and now, up until this year, he was a season ticket holder.

But he still brings that ratty Cardinals bag to work every day. He hasn't talked about them in years though, except to say he misses the uniform.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Ah, but the Chargers and Raiders are not in LA. They are in SD and Oakland which is nowhere near the same market from what I've been told here. So why would they have fans there? Like I was asking before, what if LA had gotten another team and a new stadium? Would there be Rams fans left? I'm sure there'd be Cardinals fans left here too, if not for the fact we narrowly missed an expansion team (which started cutting the cardinals ties) and then got another team. Which won the SB. I'm not doubting there are Rams fans there, I was responding to what I took as a very mild dig at STL fans for being willing to accept teams that want to come here. What I'm doubting is that there would still be Rams fans in LA if say, the Vikings would have moved there years ago and had success.
blue4 , I really can't and won't even try to debate a point I agree with you about. obviously anything can happen and probably will.
That said there are a lot of Rams fans out here. If another team moved here like the Vikings meh.. The Rams were here for 50 years and accumulated a lot of fans. Dads and grandpas have passed on their favorite team to their kids even if they don't play here the kids watch.
Now if some other team had come, those kids very well may have gone a different direction.

So all this LA leverage for all these years has actually maintained the Rams fanbase. Never thought of it that way.

Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of all this anyway. lol

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
blue4 , I really can't and won't even try to debate a point I agree with you about. obviously anything can happen and probably will.
That said there are a lot of Rams fans out here. If another team moved here like the Vikings meh.. The Rams were here for 50 years and accumulated a lot of fans. Dads and grandpas have passed on their favorite team to their kids even if they don't play here the kids watch.
Now if some other team had come, those kids very well may have gone a different direction.

So all this LA leverage for all these years has actually maintained the Rams fanbase. Never thought of it that way.

Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of all this anyway. lol

Lol I didn't realize we were debating, I was just talking about my response to someone else about reasons why St Louis doesn't follow the Cardinals anymore and why LA has been a bit of an anomaly maintaining a fan base despite a team leaving.

You're right it isn't going to matter. Fan bases, legacies, it's all smoke. Money and speed at getting a stadium plan done is what will matter.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Lol I didn't realize we were debating, I was just talking about my response to someone else about reasons why St Louis doesn't follow the Cardinals anymore and why LA has been a bit of an anomaly maintaining a fan base despite a team leaving.

You're right it isn't going to matter. Fan bases, legacies, it's all smoke. Money and speed at getting a stadium plan done is what will matter.
You know what they say about what walks and what talks. lol

Oh, and I meant I wasn't about to start a 'debate'.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I really wish Jim Thomas would (decided to delete it, it may have caused me to go on vacation.)

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On Reddit..Todd Gurley was asked by a fan about the best city he would like to play in....before draft.
"I'd like to play in LA...but no team there though"

bT0ZxXV.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
On Reddit..Todd Gurley was asked by a fan about the best city he would like to play in....before draft.
"I'd like to play in LA...but no team there though"

bT0ZxXV.jpg

That's fucking hilarious.

Obviously Fisher saw that and drafted accordingly.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
This is from Reddit. This has a slightly different spin.

Todd, who would you love to draft you, and why is it the San Diego Chargers?

Todd_GurlyII
because who wouldn't want to play in LA?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I wouldn't be surprised if he knew, but it wouldn't mean anything anyway. I'm sure most NFL players would like to play in LA.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams told him they were eying him either, but to keep his mouth shut. That or his agent might of had the drop on which teams were most interested.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

----I really don't know what your point is ???

If your talking about LA Ram fans.In general they moved to O C & Raiders took a big part of The Ram fan base.At that time it was are you a LA fan or A LA fan.30 minute drive only on 5 fwy.
That was when it was Rams vs city(state). Al Davies (Spanos)screwed Ram fan in California for TV rights.We used to get Ram preseason games for years delayed.All through GSOT as well.
That will give you insight on Ram following in St.Louis.

The decision could be Rams or Raiders to you in almost the same way. --Raiders & Rams are both on the right path.

--Raider Nation is a crazy bunch.Either way St.Louis your not getting away from LA fans.LA Raidee fans are loyal as well.Direct TV in the 2nd largest market.LA can support 2 franchise as it already does in all sports.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
----I really don't know what your point is ???

If your talking about LA Ram fans.In general they moved to O C & Raiders took a big part of The Ram fan base.At that time it was are you a LA fan or A LA fan.30 minute drive only on 5 fwy.
That was when it was Rams vs city(state). Al Davies (Spanos)screwed Ram fan in California for TV rights.We used to get Ram preseason games for years delayed.All through GSOT as well.
That will give you insight on Ram following in St.Louis.

The decision could be Rams or Raiders to you in almost the same way. --Raiders & Rams are both on the right path.

--Raider Nation is a crazy bunch.Either way St.Louis your not getting away from LA fans.LA Raidee fans are loyal as well.Direct TV in the 2nd largest market.LA can support 2 franchise as it already does in all sports.

My only point was that LA fans have not ever had any other team come close to moving to LA in the 20 years the Rams and Raiders have been gone. Therefore, the fan base would stay more intact over the years. It was in response to a post that (probably inadvertently) insinuated that this made them more stalwart. I think it was just a lack of other option, and that fans are the same city to city.

It had nothing to do with most of the things you are referring to. As to getting away from LA fans, a nice new football only-city landmark stadium along with the probably 30 yr lease will put this sense of impermanence to rest. Rams or Raiders, they won't be going anywhere after that.

And to be honest, it wasn't LA fans who fought and spent to try to get them back. It is Stan's need for mo' money. So, there's not really a sense of trying to get away from them to me. They didn't do anything.

Hope that settles confusion.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
..... And to be honest, it wasn't LA fans who fought and spent to try to get them back. It is Stan's need for mo' money. So, there's not really a sense of trying to get away from them to me. They didn't do anything.

Hope that settles confusion.
Blue4, what were the 'fans' in StL doing before the Rams came? Ridiculous statement bro.
AEG couldn't even get it done. No team was available.
I get your hate for LA and LA fan though.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Blue4, what were the 'fans' in StL doing before the Rams came? Ridiculous statement bro.
AEG couldn't even get it done. No team was available.
I get your hate for LA and LA fan though.

What on Earth are you talking about? That post was the opposite of what you are saying. I said I have nothing against LA fans because they weren't constantly making noise about getting the Rams back. How the hell did you get hate for LA and it's fans from that? I've been conversing with you for what, a hundred pages now? And suddenly I'm a LA hater. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.