Nelson Spruce

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
http://www.303teams.com/nelson-spruce-impressing-at-rams-otas/

Nelson Spruce impressing at Rams OTA’s
By James Carnes

Spruce is catching nearly everything thrown his way.

We already knew Nelson Spruce could catch the ball. Finishing his career with 294 receptions, which leads the Pac-12, should have gotten him drafted, but the Los Angeles Rams community is starting to believe in the hype as he apparently has not dropped a single pass since joining the team as an undrafted free agent on May 3rd.

Goff finished strong with a really nice 20-yard TD pass to Nelson Spruce in corner of end zone. Spruce caught everything today, by the way

— Vincent Bonsignore (@DailyNewsVinny) June 8, 2016

Another observation—UDFA WR Nelson Spruce seems to catch everything. He’s next up in our #Undrafted series on the site, dropping this week.

— Myles Simmons (@MylesASimmons) June 13, 2016

Even Joe Branham of Rams Showcase predicted Nelson Spruce will make the 53-man roster and could be a darkhorse on special teams this season, so it looks like the Rams faithful is starting to pick up on the Sppprruuuccee hype we’ve seen the last four years!

*******************************************************************************************************************
Doesn't sound like Spruce is just running 3 yards and turning around to me.How can he be catching "everything"
if he cant get open?And what good does it do to get open if you can't catch the ball?

"The Rams kept their offense fairly conservative in Tuesday’s drills, but Goff nearly connected with rookie receiver Michael Thomas on a 40-yard touchdown pass. Goff’s pass was on target, but the ball bounced off Thomas’ hands in the back corner of the end zone."
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/goff-719274-first-rams.html

Boom

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Doesn't sound like Spruce is just running 3 yards and turning around to me.How can he be catching "everything"
if he cant get open?
It's called OTA's for a reason....mainly, shirts & shorts, where real pros can hardly touch him....in fact, they probably don't touch him at all....Hey, if he works out, great, but I won't get excited until week one, he's in the game and they throw him a pass, and he's open, and catches it....

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's called OTA's for a reason....mainly, shirts & shorts, where real pros can hardly touch him....in fact, they probably don't touch him at all....Hey, if he works out, great, but I won't get excited until week one, he's in the game and they throw him a pass, and he's open, and catches it....

Wow I guess Michael Thomas has serious problems.He's dropping balls in an enviroment
where "where real pros can hardly touch him....in fact, they probably don't touch him at all...."

tavian

tavian

Just another video on Spruce for any Film junkies like myself.
When it's offseason this is how I address my football cravings.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
At the risk of repeating myself, I think that Spruce has a good shot at making the 53.

Last year's WR corps was such a sorry lot. I mean, league's worst.

Britt and Austin are the holdover vet locks.

Cooper sounds like a rookie lock.

That leaves 3 openings at WR for the 53.

A WR that gets open and catches the ball has GOTTA be considered a strong candidate for one of those three openings, doesn't he?

It's not as if he has to crack the 53 on the GSOT, after all. Lol.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Absolutely my opinion as well..When was the last time you heard how a rookie stunk it up in OTAs??? Seldom happens...Just like so and so outplayed whoever in OTAs...I'm impressed when it matters, at least pre- season and beyond...

tavian

I'm a believer Tavian!
Good stuff
Thanks Dieter.Here's hoping Spruce continues his current trajectory.
All he does is get open and Catch The Ball, a skill that seems to elude
alot of our recevers save for Higbee.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Game on the line, six catches, 3 of them on 3rd down, converting for a 1st, one catch on 4th down, converting to a 1st, and another for a touchdown. Not bad for crunchtime.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm rooting for him.

Hope to see him get some time against defenders who will play on Sundays

And let's not kid ourselves - special teams contributions are going to be a factor in who makes this squad WR wise. Right, Duke?

tavian

Game on the line, six catches, 3 of them on 3rd down, converting for a 1st, one catch on 4th down, converting to a 1st, and another for a touchdown. Not bad for crunchtime.

Spruce has "natural hands" that is something you either have or you don't,while a receiver can certainly
improve his catching ability.The traits required for being a natural receiver is something you are born with or not.
Combine that with disiplined route running and we have ourselves a 3rd down machine.
In my mind he has already surpassed Mike Thomas and Duke.Hopefully he gets an oppurtunity to run with the ones at some point this preseason

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Thanks Dieter.Here's hoping Spruce continues his current trajectory.
All he does is get open and Catch The Ball, a skill that seems to elude
alot of our recevers save for Higbee.
He was my favorite player yesterday.
I am also sure the rest of the team saw what we saw. Especially the wr squad.
Again. Credit to Mannion as well.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Spruce's chances to make the 53.

He catches the damned ball. We need WR's that can catch the damned ball, heaven knows.

He might be a ST gem, also.

I'm telling you, he's got that "want to" thing going for him. I love football players that have that "want to". Playoff teams are loaded with "want to" players.

Football smart
Squeaky clean off the field
Tremendous college production in a major conference
Glowing OTA reports
Flypaper hands
Wins contested catches
He's a football player, not just a timed athlete

There's gotta be a spot for this kid on this sorry '15 WR corps, don't you think?

He could very well be one of Goff's favorite targets this year when he's on the field.
A agree. I love him! I was there! He catches the ball when the chips are down. His 1st down on 4th and 2 in the forth quarter was UN-RAM like. Un-Ram like I mean let's face it, being a Rams fan with our past questionable receivers, I'm used to seeing a professional player on my Rams dropping an easy pass or not knowing where the 1st down marker is and contributing to losing the game in a big moment and RIPPING my heart out. He didn't choke. In fact the entire 89,000+ people there and the Cowboys D knew the play was going to be a pass to Spruce and they still couldn't stop it. I'm telling you, the guy might be average, but for us having the worst offense in the NFL last year, this guy gets us first downs. That's how bad we have been with dropped passes. Spruce just does his job like an average Joe and he shines like a gift from God. He might be average but he's money when you throw him the ball and a sight for sore eyes in a 28-24 come from behind win.
Oh, that opening kickoff return by the Cowboys just ripped my heart out when it happened. I was just shaking my head. Unbelievable.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Want This Guy In Horns.If the Rams cut this guy they will regret it.Future Welker or better.jmho

The way he looks so far your Right!;):D

In my opinion I don't think he will make the team. If the opinions of him being a slot WR at the NFL level are correct its going to be difficult. He would need to be a beast on special teams to make it.
The way things look so far your Wrong!;):D

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

Stock down - Mike Thomas
Stock up - Nelson Spruce ✔