Nelson Spruce Starting to Make Noise Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Something else to consider is that much of Spruce's 2016 competition is different than the 2017 competition. One could argue that Spruce was the only possession WR at camp last year. That not the case this offseason, so his strengths may not standout in comparison to others as much in this year's training camp.

Last year as a key element of our total incompetence on offense we couldn't convert a third down. If the quarterbacks could even make a decent throw the receivers couldn't catch it.

So who do you want on the field on third down this year? I would like to see Woods, Kupp and Spruce. Spruce can help fix the 3 and out syndrome. That's a big deal. I do not want to rely on, say, Austin or Thomas on third and less than 10. Too many mistakes and drops. Spruce has to be more athletic than Wes Welker, he seems to have great body control in space, and he will catch the ball. I see no reason why he can't make the squad.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Last year as a key element of our total incompetence on offense we couldn't convert a third down. If the quarterbacks could even make a decent throw the receivers couldn't catch it.
I think receiver routes short of the sticks on 3rd was a bigger issue than drops were. The Rams had 22 drops last season, I don't believe all of those drops occurred on 3rd down. The Rams 3rd down numbers were 67/213.

Ram65

Legend
I think receiver routes short of the sticks on 3rd was a bigger issue than drops were. The Rams had 22 drops last season, I don't believe all of those drops occurred on 3rd down. The Rams 3rd down numbers were 67/213.

Dead last in the NFL.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs

It wasn't just drops is right.

Distance short-even short distances were hard. They couldn't get 1-2 yards in the run game.
Pressure seemed to be most downs and more on third downs
QB Reads were slow or could not find a throwing lane.
Bad play calling and throwing past the chains.
Distance Long-See above.

Rams are on their way to improving many of these flaws. Starting with the offensive line and having better play calls. Sure handed WR that run solid routes helps too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good grief man, it's not about sticking to guns or anything like that to me. Discussion on this like many things is all perception and I don't expect anyone to agree just throwing my .02 out there. The guy just has some similar strengths to another guy who many thought would not do well in the NFL due to the slow 40 time, but who somehow carved out a Hall of Fame career. Spruce is clearly not in a HoF class, we're just discussing the guy maybe making the roster and giving this team some impact during the season.

This is one thing I hate about message boards vice talkin ball over a beer at the bar. Just giving the kid some cred for what he did well, and saying those things might help him translate to the NFL. Nothing's for sure, I just think he might do better than many anticipate.
I'm all for giving people credit for what they do but the only thing similar about Boldin and Spruce is that they are WR. Physically they are not similar and since Spruce hasn't played an NFL game yet I can't compare that.
What I do know is that Boldin was a physical player, built like an RB that despite a slow 40 still was drafted in the 2nd round.
Spruce Was a successfull slot guy with no speed who didn't get drafted. So far it's a comparison of mosquito to a polar bear

Memphis Ram

Legend

So who do you want on the field on third down this year? I would like to see Woods, Kupp and Spruce. Spruce can help fix the 3 and out syndrome. That's a big deal. I do not want to rely on, say, Austin or Thomas on third and less than 10. Too many mistakes and drops. Spruce has to be more athletic than Wes Welker, he seems to have great body control in space, and he will catch the ball. I see no reason why he can't make the squad.

There were some 3rd down drops, but I think you may be going a bit overboard there. But, to sorta answer your question, I'd like to see one speed WR on the field as much as possible to help keep defenses honest. And I suspect, Higbee should play a larger role on 3rd downs this year.

BTW, Wes Welker was quick as a cat, ala Amendola. Spruce doesn't exhibit anything close to that type of quickness.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There were some 3rd down drops, but I think you may be going a bit overboard there. But, to sorta answer your question, I'd like to see one speed WR on the field as much as possible to help keep defenses honest. And I suspect, Higbee should play a larger role on 3rd downs this year.

BTW, Wes Welker was quick as a cat, ala Amendola. Spruce doesn't exhibit anything close to that type of quickness.

Wes Welker had Hof type seasons.. Don't see how anyone could compare
Spruce a player who has zero NFL catches to Welker ?

I like the way Spruuce has developed his body. I think of him as a good route runner that has decent speed. Don't think he has good quickness.His cones drills might be why he went undrafted.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not sure about this^ considering the level of competition, at all levels, in Rams camp this year!
They are going to have to put up a good showing to make the Roster! And with the rules changes, and cuts down to the 53 man roster not happening until the Final week of pre-season, snaps are going to be at a premium to come by! JMHO

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spruce has been lining up as a wideout for most of OTA;s, and getting targeted a lot. Another long TD from Mannion yesterday. Mannion's favorite target?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Spruce has been lining up as a wideout for most of OTA;s, and getting targeted a lot. Another long TD from Mannion yesterday. Mannion's favorite target?

If I wereMannion and trying my best to impress the new coaches, I would damned sure be looking for Spruce, too.

Spruce is a QB's Dream receiver. Honestly, I don't know how they can cut him, if healthy.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Day 2 mini camp and Spruce gets another TD, this time from Goff. Word is he hasn't dropped a single pass he's laid his hands on.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I wereMannion and trying my best to impress the new coaches, I would damned sure be looking for Spruce, too.

Spruce is a QB's Dream receiver. Honestly, I don't know how they can cut him, if healthy.
Just a few reasons why I Like Spruce, Ok, some would say he doesn't have Blazing speed, He put up a 4.69 40 at the combine Well he improved that to 4.56 at his Pro Day!
He's got a 35.0 Vertical Jump, not too shabby! And he can beat CB's with his double moves!
And here the biggest thing to me, coming out of college, in 288 Targets he only Dropped "3" balls!
And we all saw him last year in pre season against Dallas, and the Cowpies will remember him come the1st pre-season game, and in week 4!!

Spruce.jpg