Nelson Spruce Starting to Make Noise Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
There's going to be a lot of surprising cuts and a lot of broken hearts on this board. For sure :(

I haven't heard anyone talk about Pharoh at all... have you?? Lol

We've heard McVay say 2 WR's names a lot. Those are Robert Woods and Thomas. Not saying it means anything for the final 53 there's way too much time to go to make those claims. But it's worth noting that he notices Thomas like he has especially with what he said in the MMQB article.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nothing is decided yet. I got a sneaking hunch there will be surprises once the preseason starts.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
does anyone think like me that we absoulutly over value our own players...players like Thomas .PC .. hell even spruce (and im a huge fan of his and thinks he makes it )

we have really been devoid of talent on the offense for years like seriously think back ..how many pro bowlers have we had on offense? through the fisher years ? Gurley his rookie year ? who before that ? SJ39 ?

i feel we have some serious potential now on offense players like Kupp Woods Higbee Everett Goff Gurly

i honestly think that Mcvay (short of the guys they drafted this year) there are going to be a A LOT of places up for grabs this year and only a few locks ...and thats a good thing IMO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
does anyone think like me that we absoulutly over value our own players...players like Thomas .PC .. hell even spruce (and im a huge fan of his and thinks he makes it )

we have really been devoid of talent on the offense for years like seriously think back ..how many pro bowlers have we had on offense? through the fisher years ? Gurley his rookie year ? who before that ? SJ39 ?

i feel we have some serious potential now on offense players like Kupp Woods Higbee Everett Goff Gurly

i honestly think that Mcvay (short of the guys they drafted this year) there are going to be a A LOT of places up for grabs this year and only a few locks ...and thats a good thing IMO

Yes, I have thought this too. This is why I was happy that we let Kenny Britt go, even though he was our best WR last year. He was selfish and inconsistent as far as I'm concerned and so I am glad he's gone. I am reserving judgement on Goff after the disaster of Fisher's offensive scheme and the Oline..Same for Gurley's sophomore slump. Tavon is a gadget guy and can be explosive, but was not worth what we "paid" for him when drafted and when he was re-signed. McVay will not accept guys dropping balls like Fisher did last year, and so we should get tougher minded, focused WR's with Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Spruce, and maybe TE Everrett? We should devastate defenses expecting the smae-ole-sorry-assed Rams Fisher offense....So yes, we have celebrated the big fish in a small pond, but McVay will make us relevant again (I believe).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With McVay's passing attack and needing to make sure we have a plethora of options as backups incase of injury, it wouldn't be unheard of keeping 7.
I don't follow. Teams that have significant passing attacks keep only 5. McVay's own former team only kept 4.
You're going to see a max of a 3 WR set, keeping 7 is pointless. Sure the cuts will be tough but I think if they keep 7 we are going to be extremely weak somewhere else.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious but how many teams kept more than 5 WR last year? I cant find any. San Diego kept 5 including Keenan Allen only dressed for 1 game

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd argue that based on reports from OTAs and training camp last season...his one preseason game... Spruce has SHOWN more that what Thomas showed last season.
Naw....naw.....I don't see that...Mike has shown little...and Spruce less than that.

Ram65

Legend
There's going to be a lot of surprising cuts and a lot of broken hearts on this board. For sure :(

I haven't heard anyone talk about Pharoh at all... have you?? Lol

I was going to post about him after I posted a move up for Thomas and a like for Spruce. I was watching video highlights of Cooper. He has a nice early burst to start. Stockier compared to others at 207 Lbs and 5'11". I remember he is a good blocker. He uses his power and early quickness to get YAC. He made the most catches and yards of all the rookies. Targets 20 with 14 catches for 106 yards for a 7.6 YPCA. I guess he shouldn't be counted out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9R71jtTTE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRyTLxD9nI

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
https://ramblinfan.com/2017/06/07/can-nelson-spruce-make-impact-los-angeles-rams-2017/
Can Nelson Spruce make an impact for Los Angeles Rams in 2017?
by Dan Parzych

Now that he’s fully healthy, wide receiver Nelson Spruce hopes to make an impact for the Los Angeles Rams in the passing game this upcoming season.

Last August, it only took one preseason game for Los Angeles Rams fans to fall in love with Nelson Spruce after the previously undrafted rookie caught six passes for 51 yards with a touchdown in the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately in that same game, Spruce would end up suffering a knee sprain that would prevent him from playing for the entire 2016 season.

Against all odds (or due having a very weak receiving corps) at the times, the Rams felt confident enough to still reward Spruce with one of the roster spots with the hope he would eventually return to full strength and shine like he did against the Cowboys during the regular season. But even though that never happened, Spruce is fully recovered, and has been practicing with his teammates during organized team activities over the last two weeks with the intention of making an impact this time around.

As Rams Insider Myles Simmons recently discussed after the seventh day of OTAs for the team, Spruce seems to have the potential to be a key part of the passing game for Los Angeles, but that’s easier said than done. Believe it or not, the organization has done a solid job by improving the receiving corps between the additions of key players like Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, which means Spruce will have to standout even more over the next few months.

Then again, the pressure of fighting for a roster spot is nothing new for Spruce since this was the same exact situation he found himself in last year when he joined the squad as an undrafted rookie. Of course, the only difference this time around is the Rams and their fans are well aware of who he is along with what he could potentially bring to the table on offense. And since they weren’t able to actually see Spruce in action last year when it mattered the most during the regular season, don’t be surprised if Los Angeles takes another shot by rewarding him with another roster spot for the second year in a row.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
A lot of hype coming from Nelson Spruce for one preseason game heroics. I'll wait until that translates to regular season production. Either way, I'm optimistic with McVay's approach to handling our offense: no preferential treatment with anyone, just go out there show you're a reliable player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking that most teams fan bases think the same way, that they have all these guys they cant live without. Then their team ends up with 5 on the roster....

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A lot of hype coming from Nelson Spruce for one preseason game heroics. I'll wait until that translates to regular season production.
Except he was doing that his whole college career.

Wasn't he?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
IMO?
Mike Thomas.
I just don't see it happening.

They will figure out a way to keep him and Pharoh.

There is no way Mike Thomas makes it to the practice squad and that is based on gunner ability alone. I think Den may have hit it on the head with a possible Cooper trade (team needing a PR). I could also see Spruce being possible trade.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Cooper and Everett would be complete shockers....almost impossible...

Okay, so if Cooper and Everett are solid, then who of these six doesn't make it? And PLEASE don't say Austin, cuz he's going to be one of the six.

Austin, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Spruce.

Austin? Solid.

Woods? Solid. Heck, he seems to be a McVay favorite at this point.

Kupp? As solid as a rookie can be.

Reynolds? Almost as solid as Kupp. If Cooper or Everett have to be here, then it would be because Thomas pushes Reynolds out. But we don't have nearly as many outside WRs as slot. I would be shocked if he ends up on the PS.

Thomas? Dude is balling out and getting noticed. I removed Cooper because of how much improvement and notice Thomas is getting.

Spruce. He and Kupp seem like clones with Kupp being quicker and faster. is that enough to keep Spruce off the list? Um... why wouldn't a team want two Kupps (hey! none of those jokes, cuz...ew)

You might be right. If Spruce just seems like a lesser Kupp clone and Reynolds like a rookie Thomas, then I suppose it might be

Austin, Woods, Kupp, Thomas, Cooper, Everett.

I just don't think so. I just want whoever is there to run really good routes and catch the damn ball.