Nelson Spruce Starting to Make Noise Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I"m liking that Nelson Spruce is starting to make noise again. In a recent Top 6 ranked WR thread, I have Spruce ranked as the #6 WR and there were some ROD members that chimed in that Pharoh Cooper & Mike Thomas were the #5 or #6 visa/versa..

If Spruce "Remains Healthy" through training camp & preseason, he could easily climb to the #5 ranking. I've heard the debates and I know how many slot WR"s the Rams already have.

I've read the SP-Teams "value" arguments made for Thomas and Pharoh as well but Nelson just seems like a pure football guy that can elevate his game no matter how big the competition gets and those special type of players find their way on the 53 man roster.

I could end up being wrong of course but to me, a healthy Nelson Spruce has a 90% chance to make the 53.

Myles Simmons
Rams Insider
June 6, 2017

A year ago, one of the biggest standout players during OTAs was undrafted rookie wide receiver Nelson Spruce.

The Pac 12’s all-time leader in receptions caught six passes for 51 yards with a touchdown in Los Angeles’ first preseason game against Dallas last year, but suffered a knee injury in that game that kept him sidelined for weeks.

Though he made the Rams’ 53-man roster, Spruce was never healthy enough to see the field and was placed on injured reserve in November.

Now Spruce is fully recovered and looks like he could potentially contribute. He’s continued to show precise route-running skills and has made a number of strong receptions during the offseason program.

“You see a natural football player. He’s got a good feel for the game. I think he’s got good aggressive hands,” McVay said of Spruce on Monday. “He was a little bit limited earlier this offseason with some things where we were just being careful with him.

Now that he’s been back and he’s moving around, you can see why he was able to make the plays that he did last year. It’s good to see Nelson out here.”

“It’s a lot of fun,” Spruce said. “I’m in my hometown. I get to play in the NFL — I don’t know if you could dream of a better situation. Every day I’m out here, I’m happy and I try to make the most of it.”
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/index.html

This is the first season that I didn’t really touch the field because of an injury.
“At first it was tough, but it lit a fire in me a little bit.”

Spruce is hoping Rams’ quarterback Jared Goff can help keep the flame burning.

Goff, who played at California, met Spruce when both toiled in the Pac-12. They had a quality relationship before becoming teammates with the Rams.

“We are friends,” Spruce said. “Off the field we do a lot of stuff together. ”The Rams will hope the friendship off the field will translate into success on the field. Goff, a second-year pro, is now the unquestioned starter.

http://www.ramsfansunited.com/viewtopic.php?t=5616
temp170606_OTAGallery_015--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp170606_OTAGallery_010--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Seems like 2 years ago since we all witnessed this.....
CpymgPBVMAAe_t4.jpg

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
(On WR Nelson Spruce and what he's capable of doing)
"You see a natural football player. He's got a good feel for the game. I think he's got good aggressive hands. He was a little bit limited earlier this offseason with some things where we were just being careful with him. Now that he's been back and he's moving around, you can see why he was able to make the plays that he did last year. It's good to see Nelson (Spruce) out here."

Sounds like he had an injury of some sort to start the off-season. I like the idea of what Spruce could bring to this team, I just want to see him against real NFL talent before I expect anything from him.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess a lot of folks are unaware of Spruce's ST play. He was Colorado's main punt returner and he also was a gunner on kickoffs.

Everyone also keeps talking as if he's only a slot guy, when in fact he lined up on the outside most of the time in college.
The TD he caught from Goff today he was on the outside. Folks also question his durability. that injury last year was his first. He didn't miss a game in 4 yeas at Colorado.

Route running, sticky hands and getting open. 40 time be damned. Spruce is going to make the 53 He has all the traits that McVay seem to be looking for, practices hard, student of the game, and knows how to play football.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have been on the Spruce Band wagon from the get-go, and I'm staying there until he's no longer a Ram!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So whos fighting for a WR spot? Him, Thomas, Pharoah, McRoberts, Shippen and North?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As soon as Nelson Spruce plays more than one preseason game I will be on board. He was special in college and for one game that did not count, he was off the charts.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Im a huge Spruce fan and def think he has the potential to be one of the top 3 pass catchers on the team...

If he stays healthy...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Spruuuuuuuuuce

But he'll have a tough time replacing this guy.....
Thomas Feeling Confident Heading into Year 2

by Myles Simmons
Rams Insider
@MylesASimmons

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Thomas-Feeling-Confident-Heading-into-Year-2/c7c1cfe7-b998-4bb9-8c47-e9c58db7c519

For many NFL players, one of the most significant jumps comes between Year 1 and Year 2.

There are plenty of reasons for it. From a comfort standpoint, most rookies are just 21 or 22 years old and entering a high-stress, competitive workplace. Plus, through no fault of their own, these players are behind in learning the playbook because they don’t get drafted until teams’ offseason programs are well underway.

And so for someone like wide receiver Mike Thomas, there’s a much different feel to his second OTAs.

“Honestly, just the experience — the experience of how players move, how players play on the field, how the game speed is,” Thomas said on Tuesday. “I feel like I caught up with the tempo of practice and the game. And I’m just playing fast without thinking and just trying to seize every opportunity that comes my way.”

With wide receiver Tavon Austin unable to fully participate in OTAs after undergoing surgery, Thomas has received more practice snaps. And he’s taken advantage of them, having made a number of downfield and contested receptions. Head coach Sean McVay said this week he’s been impressed with Thomas’ speed.

“He’s a competitive player,” McVay said. “I think he’s getting more and more confident with his hands and just becoming a more polished player — with just his routes and increasing that route versatility.

“You can feel him,” McVay continued. “He’s got some speed that gives you the ability to stretch the top-shelf of the defense and that’s what he’s done so far.”

Thomas’ specialty was being a downfield threat at Southern Miss, where he averaged 19.6 yards per reception and caught 14 touchdowns in his senior season. But as a sixth-round pick in the 2016 draft, Thomas was mainly a special teams contributor as a rookie, making only three receptions in his limited offensive snaps.

“Your rookie year is always a little hesitant coming off college — different speed, different tempo. You’re playing with grown men now and that’s a lot on this level,” Thomas said. “So coming in for Year 2, like I said, you adapt to it. You know what to expect. You know how to prepare for games. You know how to prepare for practice and training camp. So it’s only right that you come in confident knowing what to expect.”

Thomas spent a lot of time working on his craft in the offseason, he said, catching plenty of balls and running numerous of routes. And the wideout trained with quarterback Jared Goff to improve their rapport.

“This offseason we connected well. We were doing a lot of routes together — throwing, catching, learning together,” Thomas said. “At the end of the day, we both came in as rookies, and we’re learning a new offense together, so it’s only right that we all get better together.”

With a new playbook to learn, Thomas has been working with Goff to master it both on the field and in the classroom.

“We ask questions. I ask a lot of questions and when I have a question, I go right to Jared because at the end of the day he has to know it, too,” Thomas said. “We’ve just been trying to get the chemistry to 100 percent.”

What’s likely aided in that process is the way McVay and his staff have installed the offense. Thomas said he feels like the unit has picked it up quickly and well, in part because everyone has a complete picture of the scheme.

“The way they’re teaching it is incredible. Everybody’s getting it fast,” Thomas said. “It’s all about concepts. And when you know what everybody else is doing on the field, it makes you play way faster because you know what I have at the end of the day, and what the tight end and the other receivers have.”

Armed with that knowledge, Thomas has been working to take advantage of every opportunity during the offseason program. Given the way he’s performed on the field, combined with the feedback from his coaches, Thomas has reason to be confident heading into Year 2.

“What we’ve seen from Mike has been good stuff and you really like his demeanor and his disposition,” McVay said. “He’s been a joy to be around so far.”

“Now I know what to expect,” Thomas said. “I adapted to it — to the speed of the game, practice — and I’m coming out strong and confident.”

Is Spruce really an outside the numbers wr? Is Kupp? Is Cooper? Is Tavon????? Hell, I think Woods is better in the slot too. I read that Reynolds is probably a slot wr....Geez! I keep reading in here, guys think it's easy to get open outside...they've done it in college....OK

Thomas DOES get open, we've seen it. Until I see any of the others do it...consistently...then I'll believe it. Otherwise, we have a bundle of slot wrs....and a few outside the numbers kind...Thomas IS a wideout...an X or is it Z? Whatever...I actually think Spruuuuce could be our best slot wr...maybe Pharoh too....I hear that Kupp is working all over, so I'd imagine he's going to get a chance out wide first....Can't wait till camp.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm still taking Thomas over Spruce... Still thinks he's a slot receiver and we have enough of those

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm still taking Thomas over Spruce... Still thinks he's a slot receiver and we have enough of those

I think it all starts with that X position, no doubt. Thomas has an advantage there and on teams; Spruce is a good teams guy who can do returns for you or function on the hands group come onside time, but he's not an elite gunner like Thomas is.

This is why I think the competition is Spruce vs Coop...

X: Thomas/Reynolds
Z: Woods/Austin
Y: Kupp/Cooper/Spruce

Now that said, if Woods impresses them enough that they think he's the LOS guy for most of the snaps, then suddenly things might look a bit different at Y/Z. Then it might be Thomas vs Spruce for that last roster spot...

X: Woods/Thomas/Reynolds
Z: Austin/Cooper
Y: Kupp/Spruce

All that aside, it is possible McVay decides to just rotate them around, in essence "taking their turn" at X with a rotation of Woods/Kupp/etc. But I really think the level of planning that he brings means roles are going to be important factors.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw re: Spruce... I am pulling for him and want him on the team, just understand that he might not make it.

He reminds me a great deal of Boldin. Similar body style. Similar underrated strength and physicality that DBs don't expect, which is his biggest asset. Similar body control which shows not only on route running but in open field movement to squeeze key yards. IMO if he makes the team he's going to make money for us.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Woods, kupp and spruce seem to me to be mcvay kind of wrs. I'm not counting spruce out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“The way they’re teaching it is incredible. Everybody’s getting it fast,” Thomas said. “It’s all about concepts. And when you know what everybody else is doing on the field, it makes you play way faster because you know what I have at the end of the day, and what the tight end and the other receivers have.”

What a quote that is eh?