Nelson Spruce Starting to Make Noise Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

ewww-meme.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Already renamed my fantasy team Two Gurley's one Kupp right after the draft.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm still not sure why Spruce is hyped SO much here. He had one okay preseason game against non-starters, got hurt and has not done shit since. IF he makes the squad, he'll be riding the pine most of time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If we consider the practice squad as making the team...

Woods, Reynolds, Kupp, Spruce, Thomas (dude has ran the most at practice...and they KEEP bringing his name up, plus he reminds me of Ike Bruce)...and Austin??? Then Cooper &....wild card here...North...Bradley Marquez is the shocker....not making it....and Cooper WON'T last on the PS.

I don't see Spruce or Pharoh Cooper loosing out to rookies....as receivers....Now special teams...whole nuther story.

7 make squad...baring a trade of some type...with 2 more on PS...
I like what your saying Champ, BUT I just don't see how we can carry 7 WR's on the 53 man Roster! I would like to see how you would break down the "O" Player's!! How many O-Lineman - RB's - TE's etc.!?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
On the subject about whether or not someone was drafted means a whole hell of a lot about what personnel guys think of a player in the NFL... Yesterday on my way home from work listening to moving the chains on NFL Radio, Pat Kerwin and Jim Miller had a discussion going about UDFA's who were the greatest of all time. Callers got to bring many up and PK and JM added to the list. Even they, as the discussion went on, seemed to marvel at "who" could be put on this list.

I mean Warner, John Randle, Sam Mills, London Fletcher, etc ... and on and on. They got their list up to about 50 players by the time I reached home and were still going. But PK mentioned that the lists they were compiling, could probably compete for and possibly even win against ANY Super Bowl Dynasty team ever played. And they mentioned how the draft was an inexact science, and draft position never really means anything. There are always "hits & misses".

So the gist is, just because a guy was/was not drafted doesn't mean squat about what type of a career he can/will have. It's the guys who compete and work everyday to better themselves and prove their worth & moxy who, at the end of the day, become good/great players. As of right now, I see 4 guys in just our WR room (Woods/Kupp/Spruce/Reynolds) who seem to have that kind of moxie. Guys who just work hard and might just carry a chip on their shoulder because of all the doubters. With all the competition Snead & McVay are creating, however it shakes out, I think were are going to be pleasantly surprised. And all I'm going to say is ... may the BEST 4..5..6..7 ..guys win.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think they keep 5 WR maybe 6
Saints kept 5 WR last year Atlanta 5, Washington 4!

Looks to me that the Saints carried 5 to 6 WRs on the roster last season and both the Falcons and the Redskins kept 6 on the roster.

Saints - Michael Thomas, Brandin Cooks, Brandon Coleman, Willie Snead, Tommylee Lewis, Jake Lampman.

Falcons - Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Taylor Gabriel, Eric Weems, Aldrick Robinson

Redskins - Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Josh Doctson, Rashad Ross

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't know guys. After Woods Kupp Austin Everett, I just don't see many more balls going around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Okay, so if Cooper and Everett are solid, then who of these six doesn't make it?...............You might be right. If Spruce just seems like a lesser Kupp clone and Reynolds like a rookie Thomas, then I suppose it might be

Austin, Woods, Kupp, Thomas, Cooper, Everett.
Cooper is a returner....KO returner to be exact...and can do the punt returns. ST's is important to Bones....I can see him, just due to his return skills, making the 53. He's also gonna be an improved wr. Thomas is like this to me also. And he's an even BETTER wr. Spruuuuce is spoken of as a better wr than these others...Not proven, but a lot of people think this. These 3 players are the tough, people always doubt type...And I really expect improvement in their 2nd years. Kupp, Reynolds, Woods, and....Austin are locks most think. Only Austin will play ST. Call me crazy....but after Woods, I want those 2nd year guys out there first. Kupp, Reynolds and Austin have to prove/show me they are ready.

Everett is a TE...while he will be used as a receiver....if we put him in the mix...we might only keep 4 wr....Wouldn't that put a dent in things????

I would like to see how you would break down the "O" Player's!! How many O-Lineman - RB's - TE's etc.!?
I can't say for sure Dave...but imagine if Jamon Brown can play backup center, backup guard, and backup RT? That eliminates a bunch of players for backup positions, right? Is Everett a TE or Receiver? Maybe we only keep 4 wrs? Only 7 linemen. 5 RB/FB. 5 TE's. Too soon to tell until I see them in pads. Especially the line.

I just want whoever is there to run really good routes and catch the damn ball.
That's what we all want Mack....that's why I come here everyday to see what people think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cooper is a returner....KO returner to be exact...and can do the punt returns. ST's is important to Bones....I can see him, just due to his return skills, making the 53. He's also gonna be an improved wr. Thomas is like this to me also. And he's an even BETTER wr. Spruuuuce is spoken of as a better wr than these others...Not proven, but a lot of people think this. These 3 players are the tough, people always doubt type...And I really expect improvement in their 2nd years. Kupp, Reynolds, Woods, and....Austin are locks most think. Only Austin will play ST. Call me crazy....but after Woods, I want those 2nd year guys out there first. Kupp, Reynolds and Austin have to prove/show me they are ready.

Everett is a TE...while he will be used as a receiver....if we put him in the mix...we might only keep 4 wr....Wouldn't that put a dent in things????

I can't say for sure Dave...but imagine if Jamon Brown can play backup center, backup guard, and backup RT? That eliminates a bunch of players for backup positions, right? Is Everett a TE or Receiver? Maybe we only keep 4 wrs? Only 7 linemen. 5 RB/FB. 5 TE's. Too soon to tell until I see them in pads. Especially the line.

That's what we all want Mack....that's why I come here everyday to see what people think.
Those number for offensive player's look doable! I Have it this way:
* QB's = 3
* O-Line = 8
* WR's = 7
* RB's/FB = 4
* TE's = 4
That equals 26 on Offense and leaves 27 spots to fill-out the "D" and ST. ( Kicker-Punter-Kick return man-Punt return man-LS) That seems to work well!

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Those number for offensive player's look doable! I Have it this way:
* QB's = 3
* O-Line = 8
* WR's = 7
* RB's/FB = 4
That equals 22 on Offense and leaves 31 spots to fill-out the "D" and ST. ( Kicker-Punter-Kick return man-Punt return man-LS) That seems to work well!
What about TE? Or are you adding them in with WRs?

Ram65

Legend
How about 3 TEs and one on the practice squad? Only 2 QBs too.

Oops!! I forgot, 4 TE's! that brings the Offensive Player total to 26! that's perfect to me! ( Thanks I fixed it!!)

Looks to me that the Saints carried 5 to 6 WRs on the roster last season and both the Falcons and the Redskins kept 6 on the roster.

Saints - Michael Thomas, Brandin Cooks, Brandon Coleman, Willie Snead, Tommylee Lewis, Jake Lampman.

Falcons - Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Taylor Gabriel, Eric Weems, Aldrick Robinson

Redskins - Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Josh Doctson, Rashad Ross

LoL I was thinking Ryan Grant the retired RB.

That does change the thinking. If you use 3-4 WR sets you need some extra WRs.

I wonder if these guys are close in McVay's eyes that they rotate them to keep fresh and find the best players in game situations.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Back from injury, Nelson Spruce ready to impress new Rams coaching staff

Joe Curley , joe.curley@vcstar.com, 805-437-027612:29 p.m. PT June 10, 2017
636326310220587647-AP17157040285046.jpg

Rookie seasons are supposed to be humbling.

But the highs and lows of Nelson Spruce’s debut season with the Los Angeles Rams were especially unforgiving.

As he was breaking through as a central figure in the team’s first on-field highlight of its return to Los Angeles, Spruce suffered the first significant injury of his football career.

It cost the Westlake High graduate his season, and his opportunity to solidify a role with the team.

“It’s been kind of humbling for me,” Spruce said. “The past few years at Colorado and in high school, I’m used to coming off a big season, production-wise.

“This is the first season that I didn’t really touch the field just because of my injury. … It was kind of a blow, the whole injury coming at such a crucial time for me.”

Months later, Spruce seems back to square one. He has to impress a new coaching staff during offseason training, in order to stand out in a crowded receiving corps under reconstruction.

Fortunately, Spruce now seems to be beyond the sprained knee and subsequent calf injury.

He declared himself 100 percent on the first day of the Rams' offseason training activities last month. He revealed the Rams’ performance tracking has shown he’s now faster than he was before the injuries.

“I haven’t felt like this for a year almost, since I got injured,” Spruce said. “It’s good for me mentally to feel 100 percent and do all the things I used to.”

He backed the words up on the practice field, opening eyes last week by reeling in a long touchdown pass from Jared Goff during practice.

“You see a natural football player,” head coach Sean McVay said of Spruce. “He’s got a good feel for the game. I think he’s got good, aggressive hands.

“Now that he’s been back and he’s moving around, you can see why he was able to make the plays that he did last year. It’s good to see Nelson out here.”

Spruce became visibly animated when he was asked about McVay and the new coaching staff.

“Coach McVay is 31 and you see why he’s risen to this level already, being a head coach,” Spruce said. “His knowledge of offense and the nuances of the offense are nothing that I’ve really experienced before.

“The way he talks about it, just the total grasp he has of every aspect is really eye-opening. Already, I fell like we’ve learned so much.

I feel like we’re so far ahead of where I ever could have imagined we’d be at. So I’m really excited to see how we continue to grow as an offense.”

636326310223395557-AP17150846460110.jpg

(Photo: MARK J. TERRILL/AP)

Nelson Spruce catches a pass during a Rams practice. The Westlake High graduate hopes to get a chance to make his first catch in an NFL regular-season game this season.

http://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...dy-impress-new-rams-coaching-staff/385978001/

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm still not sure why Spruce is hyped SO much here. He had one okay preseason game against non-starters, got hurt and has not done crap since. IF he makes the squad, he'll be riding the pine most of time.
Well, from my perspective, I see a WR that can run solid routes and when the ball is thrown his way he catches the ball. I see that at as a valuable skillset for a WR. But that's me.

FWIW, I haven't been hyping anybody BTW. I went to the game in which Spruce got to play and play he did. It's not his fault when he got to play and at what level competition. The thing is he stood out against the level he was chosen to face. We'll just have to wait and see how he does against better competition if given the opportunity.

MauiRam

Rookie
Well, from my perspective, I see a WR that can run solid routes and when the ball is thrown his way he catches the ball. I see that at as a valuable skillset for a WR. But that's me.

FWIW, I haven't been hyping anybody BTW. I went to the game in which Spruce got to play and play he did. It's not his fault when he got to play and at what level competition. The thing is he stood out against the level he was chosen to face. We'll just have to wait and see how he does against better competition if given the opportunity.

I'll add a couple of other things that I observed in his limited playing time with the Rams. He is fearless over the middle. No alligator arms, he just catches the ball first and foremost, no cowering or hearing steps. He also is extremely intelligent with a good football IQ - very coachable. Additionally, Spruce will do everything possible to sell his routes even when he knows someone else's number has been called. He can and will block too.

I've gotten the impression that McVay is an extremely bright guy, I think it is safe to say football intelligence/IQ is very important to Sean. I will be astonished if a healthy Spruce doesn't make the final 53.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'll add a couple of other things that I observed in his limited playing time with the Rams. He is fearless over the middle. No alligator arms, he just catches the ball first and foremost, no cowering or hearing steps. He also is extremely intelligent with a good football IQ - very coachable. Additionally, Spruce will do everything possible to sell his routes even when he knows someone else's number has been called. He can and will block too.

I've gotten the impression that McVay is an extremely bright guy, I think it is safe to say football intelligence/IQ is very important to Sean. I will be astonished if a healthy Spruce doesn't make the final 53.

Yeah, he's a legit football player. If he doesn't make the Rams roster he will make some other team's roster and will likely do quite well for them. I'd bet Bellicheat would take him...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Something else to consider is that much of Spruce's 2016 competition is different than the 2017 competition. One could argue that Spruce was the only possession WR at camp last year. That not the case this offseason, so his strengths may not standout in comparison to others as much in this year's training camp.