N.F.L. Completes Greatest Passing Season in League History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
11 passing tds.

I don't really care how many passing TDs or running TDs or yards after catch or tackles or any other meaningless individual stat someone puts up in a season. If the combined effort in a game results in a W it was a good week 10-3 or 35-28. And when we beat Seattle twice in the same year its the beginning of something good. 11 Passing TDs isn't much and I'd rather see more but it just isn't something want more than a win.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm still scratching my head on why Mannion didn't at least get a look to see what he could do. If you've watched a lot of football, you know there's a big difference between practice and games.

What you see in practice isn't always what you get in games. Mannion deserved and opportunity at least. Now the guy goes into 2016 not even taking a snap in a real game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I am an owner right now my priority is a passing game guru head coach and I lock him down for many years. My annual challenge will be finding a DC to replace the guy who gets hired away but whatever. Play to the strengths and direction of the league.

Oh and btw... If I am Fish it's the same drill: "Hey, Mad Mike!!! What's up brother! Gotta tell you how much I miss you man! I need you on my staff and you can't say no. Got a big, long term contract ready and you'll be my OC, let's do this thing!!!"

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

rams passing

2012 - 3550 yards 22td 14int
2013 - 3125 yards 22td 11int
2014 - 3400 yards 20td 16int
2015 - 2805 yards 11td 11int

It's incredible. We manage to get worse every year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm still scratching my head on why Mannion didn't at least get a look to see what he could do. If you've watched a lot of football, you know there's a big difference between practice and games.

What you see in practice isn't always what you get in games. Mannion deserved and opportunity at least. Now the guy goes into 2016 not even taking a snap in a real game.
I agree it is somewhat strange but Aaron rogers only played in 7 games his first 3 years. 9-16 his first year 3 games, 6-15 year 2 in 2 games, and 20-28 in 2 games his third year. Granted he was sitting behind Favre but he was a first round pick.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
lol we never had a game where we went over 300 yards passing...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's incredible. We manage to get worse every year.

And 2013 is a little skewed by Sams semi hot start. He threw 14td and 4int in 7 games.

So the final 9 games - 8td 7int

:puke:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really care how many passing TDs or running TDs or yards after catch or tackles or any other meaningless individual stat someone puts up in a season. If the combined effort in a game results in a W it was a good week 10-3 or 35-28. And when we beat Seattle twice in the same year its the beginning of something good. 11 Passing TDs isn't much and I'd rather see more but it just isn't something want more than a win.

C'mon man. The lack of a passing game directly correlates to offense futility. Historical offense futility.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
C'mon man. The lack of a passing game directly correlates to offense futility. Historical offense futility.

Again I don't care what their stats are. Winning with style is not important to me, GSOT was great but winning ugly is just fine with me. Gurley getting 30 runs a game and score twice with the final score showing the Rams on top is just fine too.

Drew Brees had the most passing yardage this year, where are they playing this weekend?

Athos

Legend
Having the most passing yards isn't required. Getting at least 3500 and 20-25 in the air is.

So is taking stress and wear and tear off of Gurley.

You want him fresh as possible to run teams down in the forth?

Stop being fucking content winning ugly and build a competent passing attack with a QB more competent than Keenum.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Having the most passing yards isn't required. Getting at least 3500 and 20-25 in the air is.

So is taking stress and wear and tear off of Gurley.

You want him fresh as possible to run teams down in the forth?

Stop being freaking content winning ugly and build a competent passing attack with a QB more competent than Keenum.
Bridgewater 3231 and 14 TDs

Stop thinking this is Madden football. Fisher is not going to run that kind of offense

Irish

Starter
Again I don't care what their stats are. Winning with style is not important to me, GSOT was great but winning ugly is just fine with me. Gurley getting 30 runs a game and score twice with the final score showing the Rams on top is just fine too.

Drew Brees had the most passing yardage this year, where are they playing this weekend?
But they aren't winning, that's just it. You would have an argument if this team finished 9-7 or 10-6, but they have been losers every season Fisher has been here, and Fisher's overall record reflects this as well. There was a thread earlier this week that basically outlined how the Rams were like 3 touchdowns (San Francisco, Baltimore, Minnesota) away from being 10-6 and fighting for a playoff spot. If you audit this offense, the first thing you would point to as being woefully insufficient would be the passing yards and passing touchdowns. The lack of any meaningful passing attack means that they cannot come back when they are losing and cannot put pressure on defenses to game plan for anything other than Gurley.

No one is saying we need to lead the league in passing yards, passing touchdowns, and points per game (although, I would LOVE it...), we just want to be around 15th in the league.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But they aren't winning, that's just it. You would have an argument if this team finished 9-7 or 10-6, but they have been losers every season Fisher has been here, and Fisher's overall record reflects this as well. There was a thread earlier this week that basically outlined how the Rams were like 3 touchdowns (San Francisco, Baltimore, Minnesota) away from being 10-6 and fighting for a playoff spot. If you audit this offense, the first thing you would point to as being woefully insufficient would be the passing yards and passing touchdowns. The lack of any meaningful passing attack means that they cannot come back when they are losing and cannot put pressure on defenses to game plan for anything other than Gurley.

No one is saying we need to lead the league in passing yards, passing touchdowns, and points per game (although, I would LOVE it...), we just want to be around 15th in the league.
Were you here for the stretch where they went 15-65? Have you seen the personnel moves they have made in the last 4? Do you really think they want to score fewer points per game? Injuries to Bradford, Quick, Foles taking a dump, new coordinators, how many WRs are left from when they got here?

Like I said I loved GSOT but that offense and those players are not on the Rams roster any longer. This staff's philosophy is not the same zero protection throw the ball 40 times a game and it never will be. A team does not need 300 yards and 2 passing TDs a game to win consistently.

There have been changes and there will be more to try and improve this team including the offense. Even with all the injuries and an extremely young oline they were very close. 2 missed field goals from making a wildcard.

I think anyone who wants a different style is going to be disappointed for a long time with this team. They are not selling out to get Goff, they aren't going after big name WRs in FA and they are not going to be an offense built on the passing game.

Athos

Legend
Bridgewater 3231 and 14 TDs

Stop thinking this is Madden football. Fisher is not going to run that kind of offense

Wow. You found the one and only example. Good for you. Even the SeaTurds passed that much and ended back in the playoffs.

Get out of the Stone Age. If you aren't passing, you're going nowhere and pretty much every stat will back that up.

This ain't Madden, but his isn't old man football of the 70s and 80s anymore.

Get with it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wow. You found the one and only example. Good for you. Even the SeaTurds passed that much and ended back in the playoffs.

Get out of the Stone Age. If you aren't passing, you're going nowhere and pretty much every stat will back that up.

This ain't Madden, but his isn't old man football of the 70s and 80s anymore.

Get with it.
Maybe we just agree to disagree. You're going to be disappointed for a while, that must suck.

And FWIW it was the first team I checked stats on.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not getting involved in this debate! What in wondering is can we cut Foles before we have to hand him that roster bonus? How much dead money will we be stuck with if we cut him today?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you dont pass the ball well in today's NFL, you cant compete. Its that simple.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Here's a sobering thought:
The 2000 Ravens, one of the top 3 defenses all time, still scored 20 passing TD's, to 19 INT's. 3,102 passing yards.
Trent Dilfer wasn't even their starting QB.... the guy who started their first 3 games that season racked up 653 yds, 8 passing TD's, 2 INT's.

Tony Banks.

Athos

Legend
Maybe we just agree to disagree. You're going to be disappointed for a while, that must suck.

And FWIW it was the first team I checked stats on.

I already did the digging. MIN is the only playoff team this year to have not reached 3500 yards. DEN missed 20 passing TDs by one. KC was right on that number and about 200ish off the 3500 mark.

You just can't win in the NFL with a lopsided offense of running. Doesn't work that way anymore. Sorry if you're still trying to convince yourself those stats don't matter to hold faith Fisher will ever win again in the NFL, but that just doesn't hold true anymore.

We aren't reaching the magic point total by running. That means more passing TDs. Quite a few more.

We don't need air raid, but commuting to the pass and pass improvement starting with real QB talent is the only way we'll ever win again.