My projections for Rams 2023 OL ‘adjustments’…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Strawman alert!

The topic is Allen’s ability, NOT whether he happened to be on the roster of a SB winning team.
So you’re saying your own post is irrelevant??

He didn’t just happen to be on the team, he played well and was a pro bowl alternate.

Revisionist history

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His ceiling when healthy is starter on championship team.

The Rams may wish to upgrade, but let’s not pretend he’s had no success in this league.
That doesn’t mean he’s good. What about the Bengals Super Bowl starters? They got three new starters in the off-season. Teams can have weaknesses despite reaching the Super Bowl.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

He didn’t just happen to be on the team, he played well and was a pro bowl alternate.

Revisionist history
He’s an average center with a chronic knee injury. Brown Allen is not the main reason the Rams won the Super Bowl.

Relying on him for another season with his knee injury is risky. They might as well have kept Gurley another season if injuries aren’t an issue.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That doesn’t mean he’s good. What about the Bengals Super Bowl starters? They got three new starters in the off-season. Teams can have weaknesses despite reaching the Super Bowl.
Actually, the Bengals added four new starters to the O-Line ... three free agents and a draft choice; and that starting-five has not lost a single game to injury through eleven games this season ... a perfect 55-of-55 potential starts.

Personally, I don't view the Bengals' five starters as better than the Rams' projected five starters.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Hence, my comment about potentially upgrading the position.

But, if the opportunities for upgrades are at OG or OT instead, we’ve already seen that you CAN. win with a healthy Allen.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Whatever the Rams decide to do, this hopefully mini rebuild needs to address the elephant in the room or should I say the bully on the field..... The Niners.

This team needs to make changes that allows them to compete better against our northern rivals. Get more physical on the OL and DL ASAP.

Watching Utah & USC last night it was like watching the the Niners vs the Rams. Physicality won the day again.

So get a bigger RB...beef up the interior OL. Get a bigger blocking TE that can catch as well. (The kid from Utah would be great). Get bigger and faster in the front 7. And while all of that can't be accomplished in one offseason, you can at least start the process.

That is all...

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brian Allen has been with the Rams for 5 years now and has missed the better part of 3 seasons? He is ok when healthy but if the Rams can save 5 million by cutting him they should. JMO. And the same goes for Noteboom, although I do not believe the cap savings is there, and the potential of Alaric Jackson at left tackle also needs to be discussed. However, I don't like the idea of moving Jackson to guard and then moving him to tackle in case of injury. I think the linemen need to be more consistent in their roles so they can "settle in" to their positions. When you move one guy around, that means you are really making two moves on the O-line, since you have to replace the guy you just moved and that creates more inconsistency. Although injuries can certainly derail those plans, as we have seen.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahh…

The voice of reason. Thanks, Elmgrovegnome.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Revisionist history
I’ll try to keep this simple without any nasty personal attacks.

Allen is not good enough.

And his injury history is a deal breaker.

Rams need to upgrade that position.

That better?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The more this season goes on, the more I think Noteboom and Allen will not be back.
My choice would be Jackson at LT.. try to re-sign Nsekhe.. and draft a tackle and a guard and a center.
Shelton would be your default Center.. Jackson LT. I'm hoping Bruss and the draft pick and/or Brewer or Anchrum can upgrade the interior.
They'll have more, experienced depth returning as well.
By removing Noteboom and Allen, they'll reduce the likelihood of AS MANY injuries.

We'll see.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am mostly with @AvengerRam on this exchange; and for two very different reasons.

First, I think he is being practical and realistic. A team needs capital to make significant roster moves. Quality and quantity draft choices and cap space are not things the Rams have in abundance. That first round pick held by Detroit may allow the Lions to select their future QB but if they don't like this year's crop of QBs, the Lions may be able to move the pick for three #1s plus more ... Now THAT'S Capital!

The second reason I am mostly agreeing with @AvengerRam, is that he seems a little scary. You are all quality posters and seem like good guys. I'm just not sure @AvengerRam is that stable.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Below is the current list of 2023 pending UFA centers that might be available. When you review this projected group it is far better than what is projected @ LT.

It's been over 5 1/2 years since Snead/McVay drafted a center. They still have both Allen & Shelton under contract for next season. Shelton can start @ OG if needed so the time is right to draft & groom an OC in 2023.

The salary cap funds $$ involved in BA in 2023 are not close to the $$$ involved in Noteboom. However, IF they release BA before TC the cap hit will be $4.2 mil. BA will get paid nearly $7 million in 2023. Expecting BA to pay dividends as a starter is a very risky gamble IMO. Does anyone think differently?

Center Shelton has not turned out for Coach Carberry @ starting OC or OG. So there's that ingredient to mix in here as well.

The best plan IMO is to draft a future center on day two of the draft with both Shelton/Allen here to mix into this new 2023 blended OL.
He didn't do bad. But he got injured - again - which has happened both seasons we've counted on him to be a full-time starter.
I remember it differently thirteen28.......

#1). In 2019 ( Joe Noteboom's 2nd season), Coach Kromer was awarded the starting LG position. JN did not finish his 5th start. He suffered a torn ACL and MCL & placed on season-ending IR on October 15, 2019. JN has reconstructive knee surgery.

#2). JN entered 2020 as the starting LG. He was placed on IR on September 24, 2020, with a calf injury after starting 3 gms. He was activated on November 14, 2020, as a Reserve OL. JN was injured & out for the Packer's 1/16/2021 playoff gm.

#3). JN entered the 2021 season as a Reserve OL'er. JN started 2 gms @ LT for Whitworth. JN was placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list Saturday, Dec. 18, 2021.

#4). JN was placed on season-ending IR in Feb.2022, JN was injured with a chest injury & was out for the NFC Championship Gm & the Super Bowl. JN only took a total of 15.9 % of the snaps with the offense as a reserve in 2021. He was the teams #6th OL this season.

#5).JN was placed on season-ending IR on October 18, 2022, due to a torn Achilles.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
However, IF they release BA before TC the cap hit will be $4.2 mil. BA will get paid nearly $7 million in 2023.
It's like the (DARK) old days for me. I'm already looking at the off-season and draft prospects.

I usually focus on Spotrac because I find it an easier read; and like the ability to edit fields and data.

So I admit that I may be missing something with Over-The-Cap. From what I see ... and please correct me if I'm wrong ... Brian Allen carries a $6.8M cap hit for 2023. Should the Rams release him prior to June 1, the Dead-$ would be $4.2M (as you stated above), with a cap-savings of just $2.6M. However, should the Rams release Allen post-June 1, the Dead-$ is only $1.8M, with a cap savings of $5M.

Should the Rams move-on, I would think a post-June 1 release would be the better option . Do you agree?

For the same reason (and based on that OTC chart), I could see the Rams releasing both Leonard Floyd and Tyler Higbee post-June 1. Although the Dead-$ would be almost $9M; the cap savings would be significant ... almost $22M. However, that would leave the Rams barren at both Edge and Tight End.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I am mostly with @AvengerRam on this exchange; and for two very different reasons.

First, I think he is being practical and realistic. A team needs capital to make significant roster moves. Quality and quantity draft choices and cap space are not things the Rams have in abundance. That first round pick held by Detroit may allow the Lions to select their future QB but if they don't like this year's crop of QBs, the Lions may be able to move the pick for three #1s plus more ... Now THAT'S Capital!

The second reason I am mostly agreeing with @AvengerRam, is that he seems a little scary. You are all quality posters and seem like good guys. I'm just not sure @AvengerRam is that stable.
You are a wise man. :devil:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's like the (DARK) old days for me. I'm already looking at the off-season and draft prospects.

I usually focus on Spotrac because I find it an easier read; and like the ability to edit fields and data.

So I admit that I may be missing something with Over-The-Cap. From what I see ... and please correct me if I'm wrong ... Brian Allen carries a $6.8M cap hit for 2023. Should the Rams release him prior to June 1, the Dead-$ would be $4.2M (as you stated above), with a cap-savings of just $2.6M. However, should the Rams release Allen post-June 1, the Dead-$ is only $1.8M, with a cap savings of $5M.

Should the Rams move-on, I would think a post-June 1 release would be the better option . Do you agree?

For the same reason (and based on that OTC chart), I could see the Rams releasing both Leonard Floyd and Tyler Higbee post-June 1. Although the Dead-$ would be almost $9M; the cap savings would be significant ... almost $22M. However, that would leave the Rams barren at both Edge and Tight End.
Yes, that's what I see too if the salary cap is a major problem for them at that time.

It's hard for me to imagine the salary cap NOT being a major hurdle in many ways pre-June 1st or post-June 1st.

The Rams are in a tight spot @ center this season & will be again next season if the only 2 OC's are Allen/Shelton. On top of that Shelton would be the only OL'er who is sure to be looked at to start again at OG.

The only other 2 OG's under contract Bruss/Anchrum have serious questions as to their #1- ability in talent to start or #2- remain healthy. That's an element that is brutal & dangerous to enter into 2023 with. Not sure if Ty Nsekhe might be a decent veteran "stop-gap starting LG or LT " until any of the inexperienced OG prospects are ready.

Jackson might be considered but who knows if he will return to the NFL again. If the Rams are lucky Jackson would start @ LT not "NFL's most injury prone OL'er after 5 seasons" Noteboom.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
But, if the opportunities for upgrades are at OG or OT instead, we’ve already seen that you CAN. win with a healthy Allen.

yeah it is shown when healthy that we can win with allen. noteboom is also injury prone that is why i would like up grades at both positions. that would make them both expensive back ups but they would be great backups for 2 or 3 games due to injuries of starters

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually, the Bengals added four new starters to the O-Line ... three free agents and a draft choice; and that starting-five has not lost a single game to injury through eleven games this season ... a perfect 55-of-55 potential starts.

Personally, I don't view the Bengals' five starters as better than the Rams' projected five starters.
I think they are better, plus availability is the best ability

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think they are better, plus availability is the best ability
Respectfully disagree. Despite Joe Burrow and a ton of talent at the skill positions, the Bengals are 27th in the NFL in rushing yards per-game; and have given-up the 5th-most sacks. And no OL has missed a single game!

LT Jonah Williams gets beat like a drum ... LG Cordell Volson looks like the rookie that he is ... always thought of Ted Karras as a very average Center ... never was a fan of RT La'el Collins in Dallas. RG Alex Cappa is solid.

Agree with the 2nd point but, last season, projected starters Brian Allen, Joe Noteboom, David Edwards and Coleman Shelton combined to miss just 3 games in the Regular Season. Thus far, the same four players have already missed 23 games. Then factor-in that the top-three projected OL-reserves are all on Injured Reserve, and that's the primary reason the Rams offense is awful.

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
A bruising, physical OC is the top need on the OL imho. I think with the young guys and Note, we have options at LT - especially with limited funds. Much easier to plug & play a OC than LT. Team is not built to wait 1-2 years on a LT drafted 30-40 spot to develop.

Same if done thru FA or trade. We don’t have the assets to get a top LT via trade or FA.