My projections for Rams 2023 OL ‘adjustments’…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Dude ... you completely forgot about Bobby Evans.

I guess you feel kind of foolish right now.

No, I actually feel that ANYONE who believes Evans being re-signed in 2023 to the Rams as a free agent is a fool.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would draft a stud center/guard in the 2nd or 3rd round (if someone is available) and another in the 6th round as depth

I could also see an OL like this if they went the FA way at LG

Jackson/Noteboom at LT
Stud Drafted or FA LG
Shelton at Center
Anchrum/Bruss RG
Havenstein RT

I can see Arcuri/Allen as the other back-ups

Edwards and Evans are gone in this scenario
Your scenario works for me, Tano. It looks like upgrades at all positions other than RT to me.

And accomplished with either a high 2nd or 3rd. Great value and it would be a VERY affordable long term OL, too.

Might very well be in sync with Snead/McVay’s thinking.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Shelton looks like he's kind of small and I don't see how he's much of an upgrade over Allen.

I think Abushi would be a good vet signing.

I'm still all in on drafting a bigger center at 34.

Try to sign a good free agent left tackle.

I think we'll be good to go at guard once we get our injured players back.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yes, we've evolved past the OP.

Do we need a "stud" LT? Not, really. What we need is a group of 5 solid OL who can play as a unit and stay on the field. That's what we had last year (I'd argue that Whitworth in 2021 was no longer a "stud" but, rather, a very solid veteran starter).

To respond to comments about Noteboom... he probably won't be 100% by opening day, so he very well may be an expensive backup next year (the cap savings from releasing him don't really come until 2024).
So, wouldn’t you agree that Jackson would already be at least ‘solid’? Hell, I think he’s beaten out Boom at LOT.

Perhaps a quality FA for LG, then? Or would you prefer to draft the LG with our high 2nd or 3rd?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So, wouldn’t you agree that Jackson would already be at least ‘solid’? Hell, I think he’s beaten out Boom at LOT.

Perhaps a quality FA for LG, then? Or would you prefer to draft the LG with our high 2nd or 3rd?
As a practical matter, FA comes first. If we can fill a spot or two with established vets, we might be able to use more draft capital on other spots, such as RB and pass rusher.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

David Edwards should be back.
Bruss is a guard.
Anchrum
Chandler
Alaric

That's five and like I said re-sign Abushi.
I'm not sweating guard near as much as I am left tackle and Center.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
David Edwards should be back.
Bruss is a guard.
Anchrum
Chandler
Alaric

That's five and like I said re-sign Abushi.
I'm not sweating guard near as much as I am left tackle and Center.
Just to be clear, you want David Edwards to be extended?

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see big moves.
I don't see a huge upgrade at LT or at least one that would be worth big money.

I would resign Skura.
He provides interior depth and is an upgrade over the likes of Evans and Kolone. He seems to get beaten badly once a game in pass but he gets some movement run blocking and can pull etc. Veteran who knows how to prepare and play and come pretty cheap.

LT...Noteboom, Jackson
C...Allen, Skura
RT....Havenstein, Arcuri
G....Shelton, Bruss, Anchrum, Brewer, Skura

I would look at bringing in a FA that could compete for a starting spot and or provide depth but not break the bank. I would also draft at least one and probably two OL.
That said, the second round pick would likely go Edge at this point.
I prefer Shelton at C and wouldn't mind moving him there are moving on from Allen but I don't see the Rams doing that.
Also, Noteboom has been paid and he will be kept Im sure unless the injury hobbles him.
I don't see a 3rd round of later pick showing up and starting right away. I don't see the Rams with the space or the will to sink huge money into a vet FA.
I don't see a calvary coming. I really think it is going to be trying to solidify depth, add a piece or two and crossing fingers about health next year.
I think the G spots will be wide open competitions (maybe except for Shelton assuming Allen stays) and should be interesting.
Noteboom/Jackson/Allen/Shelton/Havenstein as the 1's. Jackson/Anchrum/Skura/Bruss/Arcuri as 2's. Brewer as a possible in house to compete at both G spots.
Anyone have any mid cost FA that could help this line?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We already paid Noteboom to be the LT. They're going to give him another year, as we don't gain much from cutting him.
Of course. Jrry32 you always make sense. Your one of The Best on this board that follows the draft.
I will always remember you on Cooper Kupp.I don’t go on the draft side of it very often since then or if we use to discuss the draft on normal post around then?
Anyway we all know what happened last season when LES SNEAD/MCVAY did not ADDRESS the BIGGEST need of The FUTURE!! A OFFENSIVE LINEMAN!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

This was like my first thread on here ever.To think I never wanted I haven’t been on top of The Rams Offensive Line over the years is a understatement.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What I’d do right now is wait & see. Arcuri is The Biggest viewing to see how he improves.

Also Allen & Shelton should be healthy to finish out the season.

O’Day graded out well last week.

—We’ll see how things go for now & enjoy ascending players.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Brian Allen's injury history finally catches up to him and he's released at the end of the season. Coleman IMO becomes the starter at center with them working to get Anchrum up to speed as his backup. I don't see Snead or McVay in panic mode over the OL. They will view it as an aberration. Bruss hasn't played but he was expected to start this year as a rookie. Jackson played very well at RG so I see him as a temporary LG until 2025 when he will take over for Havenstein. The Rams structured Rob's contract to give themselves an out in 2025. They could pull the trigger sooner if they have to but with the issues they have had, I think they will stick to their original plan. This would give them an OL that better than average and good enough to keep Stafford clean on passing downs. Shelton can support Bruss if he needs it as both Noteboom and Jackson are solid. Shelton is 6'4" about 300 lbs making him physically about average for a center. He would be a bit light if he was an OG. These guys have been around each other so I don't think it will take long to gel as a unit.

Noteboom gets a bad rap in the media because they don't realize he was playing hurt, I forget if it was his ankle or knee, before he tore his Achilles.

LT Noteboom
LG Jackson
C Shelton
RG Bruss
RT Havenstein

Reserves OT/OG Thomas, OG/C Anchrum, OG/OT Brewer, TBD

I think Jackson plays two years at LG before replacing Havenstein at RG. Thomas probably takes over at LG or he and Bruss switch.

In this draft if they don't trade them away I see them going edge in the second and RB in the 3rd. The Rams have 3 picks in the 6th round. I see them keeping their own and the one they got from the Packers, and trading the 3rd one from the Titans for 2 7th round picks.

I think Snead will hold on to his first-round picks until 2024 when he will use that year's first and probably the first round picks for 2025 and 2026 to move up to get a QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Snead will hold on to his first-round picks until 2024 when he will use that year's first and probably the first round picks for 2025 and 2026 to move up to get a QB.
Ditto.

But I suspect we try to trade that capital for a QB already in the league. Just not this coming year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm not necessarily seeing Noteboom or Allen as long-term starters with our Rams, but they just signed new contracts prior to this season, so I don't expect either of them to be kicked to the curb just yet, not with such serious dead money CAP implications for 2023.
Well the cap implications are far less with Allen, particularly after June 1st. 1.8 in DM, 5.0 savings. And though Noteboom's injury might be more serious, Allen's seems terminal. Bad knee that develops fluid constantly.

Tano

Legend
Ditto.

But I suspect we try to trade that capital for a QB already in the league. Just not this coming year.
I don't think any team is going to trade their rights to Caleb Williams at number 1 that year.

He looks like another Mahomes out there.

Great runner who slides before he gets hit (unlike Josh Allen)