My projections for Rams 2023 OL ‘adjustments’…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Who knows how Rams’ brain trust see’s this issue?

Several ways to deal with this OL for next year and it will be interesting to see how Rams approach it.

The following is how I see it and how I think Rams see it.

Firstly, don’t expect wholesale personnel moves on OL this coming offseason. That’s not how Rams roll. Not gonna happen.

Here’s what I see as off-season needs:

Upgrades at LOT, OC, LG, and RG. Yeah, that sounds like a lot and it is, but the necessary upgrades may already be on the roster. Bear with me for just a moment.

Let’s talk about LOT first. One strategy might be to draft an LOT with our 2nd rounder, but I would prefer signing a quality FA instead. Worked very well with Whit, right? Yeah, it would be expensive but it would instantly solve our LOT problem with a long term solution. How valuable is that in the O scheme of things? Ask Stafford while I’ll wait. Lol.

This strategy also solves our LG problem both long term and inexpensively by just sliding Jackson over. He’s proven very capable as a quality OG already, right?

Allen is a try-hard guy but his ceiling is maybe as ‘pretty good’, plus he’s always injured, dammit! Rams may want to draft an OC, but I think they like Shelton there a lot. I’m thinking that Shelton is in their master plan at OC. Might not be long term but would definitely be very affordable.

Now we come to RG. Rams seem to have some good options for RG in Shelton (if he’s not the OC), Anchrum, and Bruss. I don’t think they plan on drafting a RG with a premium pick, IOW. No need to use a premium pick to draft one, either, imo.

Obviously, Hav would be the ROT for the foreseeable future.

So here’s my projected starting OL for ‘23.

Stud FA at LOT
Jackson
Shelton
Anchrum
Havenstein

I think that that would be a helluva OL for run blocking AND pass pro, VERY affordable overall, long term (other than Shelton) and didn’t cost a single premium draft pick. Those draft picks will be invaluable if used elsewhere.

Rams would need to bring in only a single outsider to ‘fix’ our OL to at least our ‘21 SB level in this strategy.

It goes without saying that Rams still could and should draft an OL for depth and development every year, but with this strategy they needn’t spend a Day 2 pick on one. Use those for Edge and BPA in a deep RB and TE class.

So, what do y’all think?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
who's the STUD LT... what will FA be like, do the Rams have any CAP room?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Food for thought, not that deep of list. And Brown wont be leaving KC....
1669931846919.png

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think we'd be better off finding a long-term LT with our first pick, which projects at this moment to be one of the top 40 selections.

We can probably find a good veteran FA (or, maybe, two) at OG or C (see my list on the college/draft board).

Round it out with existing players and, perhaps, another draftee or two from Day 3.

Oh, and hope for better health.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
who's the STUD LT... what will FA be like, do the Rams have any CAP room?
There are none in FA and unlikely to be one when we draft in the 2nd round. And not really a lot of cap but always games they can play.

Tano

Legend
I would draft a stud center/guard in the 2nd or 3rd round (if someone is available) and another in the 6th round as depth

I could also see an OL like this if they went the FA way at LG

Jackson/Noteboom at LT
Stud Drafted or FA LG
Shelton at Center
Anchrum/Bruss RG
Havenstein RT

I can see Arcuri/Allen as the other back-ups

Edwards and Evans are gone in this scenario

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We already paid Noteboom to be the LT. They're going to give him another year, as we don't gain much from cutting him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There are none in FA and unlikely to be one when we draft in the 2nd round. And not really a lot of cap but always games they can play.
Oh, I don't know... there are no guarantees, but high quality OTs can occasionally be found in the early 2nd round (and later). Andrew Whitworth was a good example. David Bahktiari (4th round) is another.

Still... if we're going to consider trading up to the first round, LT is the position I'd target.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I don't know... there are no guarantees, but high quality OTs can occasionally be found in the early 2nd round (and later). Andrew Whitworth was a good example. David Bahktiari (4th round) is another.

Still... if we're going to consider trading up to the first round, LT is the position I'd target.
You just agreed with me. I said unlikely we'd get one in the 2nd.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You just agreed with me. I said unlikely we'd get one in the 2nd.
Yes... I should have been clearer. It is unlikely we would find a "stud" or "franchise" OT in Round 2, but not impossible.

We can, however, find a guy who would be a solid performer who would fill the role for several years. Give me the equivalent of Rob Havenstein - a durable, reliable player who is good enough to start on two Super Bowl teams, despite never making a Pro Bowl, and I'll be satisfied.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We already paid Noteboom to be the LT. They're going to give him another year, as we don't gain much from cutting him.

I hope they don't fall into the sunk cost fallacy with Noteboom. He's not that great and he always did his best work coming off the bench for short spurts. I don't think he can be - or should be - counted on for a whole season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes... I should have been clearer. It is unlikely we would find a "stud" or "franchise" OT in Round 2, but not impossible.

We can, however, find a guy who would be a solid performer who would fill the role for several years. Give me the equivalent of Rob Havenstein - a durable, reliable player who is good enough to start on two Super Bowl teams, despite never making a Pro Bowl, and I'll be satisfied.
You got it :D I replied to somebody saying it's unlikely we can get one with our 2nd round pick and there weren't any in free agency which he'd asked in regards to the thread. Twice now you've agreed with me. thank you

Big Rob is a servicable RT never been a pro bowler which isn't what OP said we are going to get. Again it's unlikely we can get a stud LT in the 2nd round. Guys like Anton Harrison (and a few others after him later) might be available but I'd hardly call him a stud. He could develop into a guy that starts at LT for 10 years and is better than Boom and is serviceable and healthy for years. But that's not a stud LT again as OP says we'll get.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You got it :D I replied to somebody saying it's unlikely we can get one with our 2nd round pick and there weren't any in free agency which he'd asked in regards to the thread. Twice now you've agreed with me. thank you

Big Rob is a servicable RT never been a pro bowler which isn't what OP said we are going to get. Again it's unlikely we can get a stud LT in the 2nd round. Guys like Anton Harrison (and a few others after him later) might be available but I'd hardly call him a stud. He could develop into a guy that starts at LT for 10 years and is better than Boom and is serviceable and healthy for years. But that's not a stud LT again as OP says we'll get.
Yes, we've evolved past the OP.

Do we need a "stud" LT? Not, really. What we need is a group of 5 solid OL who can play as a unit and stay on the field. That's what we had last year (I'd argue that Whitworth in 2021 was no longer a "stud" but, rather, a very solid veteran starter).

To respond to comments about Noteboom... he probably won't be 100% by opening day, so he very well may be an expensive backup next year (the cap savings from releasing him don't really come until 2024).

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we put too much stock into draft status. Just because someone is a first or second round pick does not guarantee anything... we all know that unfortunately (Greg Robinson, Jason Smith, etc). And look at Alaric Jackson. UDFA and we still don't know how high his ceiling is. The point I am trying to make is that I do not believe that McSnead can do anything but trade down and pick up an extra pick, or shall we say lottery ticket. I realize that it takes another team to do that, but I think the odds are much better than finding a "stud left tackle" in round 2 or whatever. I would rather draft as many "studs" as possible.

And, quite honestly, I was never a fan of trading down. But I am just too demoralized with our picks over the last several years. Isiah Pead, Brian Quick, Harris, Rochell, Tutu (I know it's early), Akers, etc. In fact, how many players have the Rams drafted since Aaron Donald that have gone on to a pro bowl or two?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To respond to comments about Noteboom... he probably won't be 100% by opening day, so he very well may be an expensive backup next year (the cap savings from releasing him don't really come until 2024).
We've said this before and cap savings never stopped McSnead from pulling the trigger... IE - Goff, Gurley, Cooks, etc. They cut or release anyone they don't feel is pulling their weight no matter how much dead cap they eat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they don't fall into the sunk cost fallacy with Noteboom. He's not that great and he always did his best work coming off the bench for short spurts. I don't think he can be - or should be - counted on for a whole season.
Personally, I thought Noteboom provided steady play after Week 1. Von whooped his ass. But he bounced back and played well until his injury. I'd give him another year.
We've said this before and cap savings never stopped McSnead from pulling the trigger... IE - Goff, Gurley, Cooks, etc. They cut or release anyone they don't feel is pulling their weight no matter how much dead cap they eat.
That's only getting harder for us because we've spent years doing that, which has required us to push money back and limit our cap flexibility. Now, we have limited draft capital and cap space. We can open up more cap space by pushing more money back, but there aren't an abundance of LT options in FA, and we don't have the picks to trade for a top guy (nor should we).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not necessarily seeing Noteboom or Allen as long-term starters with our Rams, but they just signed new contracts prior to this season, so I don't expect either of them to be kicked to the curb just yet, not with such serious dead money CAP implications for 2023. Noteboom & Alaric Jackson will be expected to 'hold the fort' at LT next season. Ty Nsekhe & A.J. Arcuri will both likely return, although I still expect that the Rams will select a LT (type) later in the draft to compete.
Bruss & Anchrum will handle the RG position, Brewer & Aboushi may very well return as cheaply re-signed reserves.
Like this season, the expected depth at Center will consist of Allen & Shelton, and my thinking has 2023 being the last for both of them as Rams, Shelton being lost to free agency after the 2023 season and Allen being traded due to a lack of consistency, he's too expensive to remain as a back-up.
Havenstein & one of either Max Pircher or Arcuri will be our RT depth.
With Edwards gone in free agency, the starting LG vacancy becomes of paramount importance, and while Anchrum, Shelton & Brewer may provide adequate reserve depth, this is where I give the Rams their greatest opportunity for a long-term OL boost. I'd be using our 2'nd round draft pick for a quality OG/Center, someone who can start at LG for a year and eventually move over to start at Center when Allen & Shelton are no longer with us. jmo.

LT) Noteboom, Jackson
LG) Draftee, Shelton, Anchrum
C) Allen, Shelton
RG) Bruss, Anchrum
RT) Havenstein, Arcuri or Pircher

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Personally, I thought Noteboom provided steady play after Week 1. Von whooped his ass. But he bounced back and played well until his injury. I'd give him another year.

He didn't do bad. But he got injured - again - which has happened both seasons we've counted on him to be a full-time starter.