My projections for Rams 2023 OL ‘adjustments’…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I hope this isn't their plan A because it is risky to keep our same line. Noteboom is injury prone as hell, Jackson has clots which is a serious thing in contact sports so I wouldn't solely rely on him, and Allen is injury prone and his knees are giving me Todd Gurley vibes. We need to make moves at the offensive line. What moves those are will be interesting. I'm sure the Rams will do so. No way McVay and company gets this embarrassed and doesn't make moves. I for one wouldn't mind Elgton Jenkins from Green Bay as they have CAP issues but I'll wait to see what the Rams do next.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Don’t expect Rams to invest heavily in OL in 2023​

The biggest improvement LA could make is returning to health

By JB Scott Dec 2, 2022,

1669997690246.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We already paid Noteboom to be the LT. They're going to give him another year, as we don't gain much from cutting him.
I agree but am disappointed by the prospect of Noteboom as the starter.

I’ll go so far as to say I don’t expect any changes to the starting Oline. McVay won’t tolerate subpar WR play, RB play or QB play, but he is very comfortable with below average Oline play for some reason.

At the very least I hope Bruss can recover and win the RG spot so Shelton can take over at Center. Relying on Allen, a guy with a chronic knee issue to start is a mistake.

Then Jackson can start at LG until Noteboom inevitably is injured. Then the biggest hole becomes LG.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ditto
I get keeping him as a backup ot, as opposed to cutting him, but as a starter? I just dont see why. He's not the future and cant be depended on, plus who's to say he'll even be ready to go? Achilles injuries on those big fellas can take a long time to heal

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

By JB Scott Dec 2, 2022,

View attachment 57663

It’s pretty obvious though. The question is going to be how The Offensive Line Finishes out the season.

AJ Arcuri I’ve said all a long will be a solid player. I’ll have a better idea after the weekend though.

O’Day is a question mark.

I HATE having Shelton as a Guard. I really like him as a swing or the starting center.I’m still upset The Rams didn’t draft a Bigger Center last season. I’m a believer in beefer players.

2020 - J. Taylor RB
2021 - Lance Dickerson c/g
2022 Colbie Bryant cb

The first 2 we’re best player & best value of position of need. Would have had to trade up though.Still those first 2 were franchise players.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m just gonna say it. Any plan having Allen as starting OC is a flawed plan. Low ceiling when healthy and he’s hardly ever healthy. Constantly getting his knee drained is a red flag.

Gawd! Haven’t the Rams learned their lesson by now?

Similarly, counting on Boom as starting LOT after a torn Achilles is risky, at best. Foolhardy is more like it.

I favor moving on from both Allen and Boom as starters. And Edwards is surely a goner, too, don’t you think?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

By JB Scott Dec 2, 2022,

View attachment 57663

I strongly disagree with JB Scott's conclusion. He must be a 9er fan!
It’s pretty obvious though. The question is going to be how The Offensive Line Finishes out the season.

AJ Arcuri I’ve said all a long will be a solid player. I’ll have a better idea after the weekend though.

O’Day is a question mark.

I HATE having Shelton as a Guard. I really like him as a swing or the starting center.I’m still upset The Rams didn’t draft a Bigger Center last season. I’m a believer in beefer players.

2020 - J. Taylor RB
2021 - Lance Dickerson c/g
2022 Colbie Bryant cb

The first 2 we’re best player & best value of position of need. Would have had to trade up though.Still those first 2 were franchise players.
The current Ram OL might remain healthy but is still weak & the OL'ers who make up this OL with the exception of Havenstein are not good & have proven to be not good.
Ditto
I get keeping him as a backup ot, as opposed to cutting him, but as a starter? I just dont see why. He's not the future and cant be depended on, plus who's to say he'll even be ready to go? Achilles injuries on those big fellas can take a long time to heal
I agree fully with your post on Noteboom.

The fact is Noteboom has never remained healthy for any period of time in his career when the team decided to play him. Someone needs to provide me with a good sound reason why he can be depended on to be the starter. I expect no member here will....they can't!

Looking at him any other way just because the Rams have invested in him & paid him does not change the fact he can not fulfill his end of the contract to be the starter & remain on the field.

Planning for Noteboom to be the starter in 2023 is unsound team management. Its also just plain stupid.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m just gonna say it. Any plan having Allen as starting OC is a flawed plan. Low ceiling when healthy and he’s hardly ever healthy. Constantly getting his knee drained is a red flag.

Similarly, counting on Boom as starting LOT after a torn Achilles is risky, at best. Foolhardy is more like it.

I favor moving on from both Allen and Boom as starters. And Edwards is surely a goner, too, don’t you think?
I wanted to move on from them two years ago. I never saw what others did.

Passing on Humphrey now feels like twisting the knife.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
An Offensive linemen in my opinion is the most important position on the offense... they can make RB's and QB's into super Stars. Or they can make you look like Akers and Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I’ll go so far as to say I don’t expect any changes to the starting Oline. McVay won’t tolerate subpar WR play, RB play or QB play, but he is very comfortable with below average Oline play for some reason.

At the very least I hope Bruss can recover and win the RG spot so Shelton can take over at Center. Relying on Allen, a guy with a chronic knee issue to start is a mistake.

Then Jackson can start at LG until Noteboom inevitably is injured. Then the biggest hole becomes LG.
I would hope that we either draft an OL on Day 2 or sign a utility OL (like Brunskill from the 49ers) in FA. We need to ensure we don't have depth issues next year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

His ceiling when healthy is starter on championship team.

The Rams may wish to upgrade, but let’s not pretend he’s had no success in this league.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Rams may wish to upgrade, but let’s not pretend he’s had no success in this league.
Strawman alert!

The topic is Allen’s ability, NOT whether he happened to be on the roster of a SB winning team.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Yeah, I'm going to need to hear some realistic options for an up-grade at LT before I can dismiss Noteboom and Alaric Jackson as the Rams' 2023 Left Tackles.

Good veteran players sometimes come free but the Rams don't figure to have significant cap space. Pending free agents Isaiah Wynn and Andre Dillard are somewhat intriguing but both were first round picks that failed to secure starting-LT spots.

The Rams will probably pick somewhere in the mid-30s, and LT may be an option but I just did a quick read of the past ten drafts and LTs taken in the 30s. I saw one good one (Donovan Smith).

Again, I would love an up-grade but need to be realistic.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I strongly disagree with JB Scott's conclusion. He must be a 9er fan!

The current Ram OL might remain healthy but is still weak & the OL'ers who make up this OL with the exception of Havenstein are not good & have proven to be not good.

I agree fully with your post on Noteboom.

The fact is Noteboom has never remained healthy for any period of time in his career when the team decided to play him. Someone needs to provide me with a good sound reason why he can be depended on to be the starter. I expect no member here will....they can't!

Looking at him any other way just because the Rams have invested in him & paid him does not change the fact he can not fulfill his end of the contract to be the starter & remain on the field.

Planning for Noteboom to be the starter in 2023 is unsound team management. Its also just plain stupid.

You can say The Rams players are not good enough & that JB might be wrong? -In fact I don’t agree with half of his thoughts.
-Mainly Anchrum,& I know you were sort of a believer. 2 games & out does not do it for me.

—I was one to say out of training camp AJ Jackson was The Best RG on The Rams. I still believe with him & Havenstien we’re really good on The Right side until Noteboom got hurt. I think Hav got hurt for part of a game a RT this season???
Anyway I willing to wait.

Saying Noteboom starting would be stupid ? Ok - then what do you think The Rams should do with him right now?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, I'm going to need to hear some realistic options for an up-grade at LT before I can dismiss Noteboom and Alaric Jackson as the Rams' 2023 Left Tackles.

Good veteran players sometimes come free but the Rams don't figure to have significant cap space. Pending free agents Isaiah Wynn and Andre Dillard are somewhat intriguing but both were first round picks that failed to secure starting-LT spots.

The Rams will probably pick somewhere in the mid-30s, and LT may be an option but I just did a quick read of the past ten drafts and LTs taken in the 30s. I saw one good one (Donovan Smith).

Again, I would love an up-grade but need to be realistic.
I agree with you on the UFA not being a realistic option as the cure for an unhealthy Noteboom/Jackson duo. When you add Alaric Jackson's name into the discussion @ LT it turns much more positive.

If Jackson can get his blood disorder in check & is able to resume his NFL career with Doctor's blessings.... the 2023 LT position could be ready to go. Jackson is the starter & Noteboom as the game-day relief. Since both of these LT's are questionable for early 2023 it would be a good idea to lock up the 37 yr old veteran journeyman Ty Nsekhe too. He has started four OL positions since he was a Ram back in 2012. Ty has been on 6 different teams. He was with McVay for his 2015 & 2016 seasons with his 4 seasons with Washington.

Ty has 23 starts & his 2 starts here in LA this season graded out very well. If Ty was here in 2023 the need to draft an LT would be diminished. It would give the Rams time to test drive Jackson/Noteboom for a full season.

There is not much wear & tear on this 37 yr old OL so I sure would make him an offer & go with those 3 LT's in 2023 & see just how well it turns out. I certainly do not have any issues with drafting a LT in April but a solid run-blocking OG is a higher need IMO. I would plan on selecting a starting LT with the first rd selection in the 2024 draft myself. That would provide the Rams with a young healthy LT for 5 seasons under his first lower-end contract.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I honestly believe noteboom will not be back at least at LT. I don't think he will be fully healed and it takes a season for an o-lineman to possibly recover fully from that type of injury if ever. Now truth be told he wasn't to effective when healthy he was one of the worst I'd like to think he is better than that but don't think the Rams will gamble again on killing Stafford that's if Stafford even returns. Look at Eric Fischer way better level than noteboom and couldn't even find a gig this year and his surgery was a while back. It'such different for a wideout or even a RB but an OT is like a horse breaking a leg in most cases.