My list of “upgradable” Rams that would make them a deep playoff threat.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The point I’m making is everyone keep saying Barron like he’s the problem with our rushing defense and he’s not.

When ogletree learns how to keep his gap integrity in the middle of the field and we get some push from our NT then watch our run defense get better.

It’s just tiring when people rehase the same lines without really watching what’s going on.

"What's going on" is that Barron is being paid like one of the very top inside linebackers in the league while It would be quite charitable to label his performance so far as average.

Quinn and Barron either renegotiate or (more likely) are cuts.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"What's going on" is that Barron is being paid like one of the very top inside linebackers in the league while It would be quite charitable to label his performance so far as average.

Quinn and Barron either renegotiate or (more likely) are cuts.

So Barron is 6th in tackles for all ILB. Tied with the league lead in interceptions for All ILbackers 3rd in PD for all linebackers.

The guy is doing his job but to understand that you have to understand what his job is.
He isn’t asked to Rush the passer as much he is mainly used for coverage to cover the flats and tightends.

It’s kinda baffling to me that you’re harping on Barron when he has and is outperforming Ogletree who has also signed a contract extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Having trouble attributing who said what there, DX?

Barron got his massive contract as a weakside linebacker.

We shall see if he is still in the middle, or even on the roster, after next year's draft and FA.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to have a team full of blue chip players and pro bowlers. Who wouldn't? But with a salary cap it ain't gonna happen. You need good coaching and a good system of developing your younger players. Even with that you won't be able to keep them all when they become free agents.

Then you need that franchise quarterback. It ain't easy to sustain success these days. Our team isn't where it wants to be yet. But they do have that possible franchise quarterback who knows how to manage a game while he's still learning.

They're improving. The Vikings game showed they're still a ways off. But they're climbing and getting better. I want to see them sustain it over the years by developing young players into good NFL talent. They'll have bumps in the road but the arrow is still pointing up. Don't be surprised if you see predictions of them winning the division next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've already stated my interest in an OT for our first round draft pick, although should an elite OLB (Harold Landry ?) fall into our hands, seems like a logical move. Whitworth isn't going anywhere until 2020, so no real rush at OT.

5 free agents i'd like to seriously check out in the up-coming free agency period :...................................................Center - Spencer Long (Wash) - after re-signing Sully as starter, McVay's other Washington C/OG

Your thinking:thinking: is way too good on this young long time starting UFA interior OL'er from the Skins!

That Ram mid first first round draft selection should have strong leanings towards a OLT who could swing between both the tackles during his rookie season or a instant starting boundary corner.(y);)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think the key to everything is what happens with Tru. If he leaves you need two CBs one in free agency and another in the draft. Quinn needs to be replaced maybe with Price, who is already on the roster. Quinn spends over half his snaps on the ground. Finally Higbee needs to learn how to come up with contested balls and if he can't he needs to go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes there is plenty of Salary Cap in 2018 to improve several areas Rams Approx.Team Cap Space: $48.5 million. There are even more positions that will suffer deletions too. The largest unknown is the pending Aaron Donald contract.

I am pretty sure that most members here would find it foolish to pay LB Rob Quinn a near 12.5 million or WR Tavon Austin 8 million for their services in 2018 too. So you could add in those savings that would push the Cap Space up towards over 64 million!

This is a Current list of Rams who will not be under a Ram contract in March of 2018:

Trumaine Johnson CB
Sammy Watkins WR
Connor Barwin 34OLB

Dominique Easley 34DE
Lance Dunbar RB
Cody Davis S
Lamarcus Joyner S
Derek Carrier TE
John Sullivan C
Jake McQuaide LS
Nickell Robey-Coleman CB
Tyrunn Walker 34DT
Cornelius Lucas LT
Matt Longacre 34OLB
Troy Hill CB Rams
Darrell Williams RT
Zach Laskey RB
Malcolm Brown RB
Johnny Mundt TE
Paul McRoberts WR

When the Rams are facing a major unit loss amount of your secondary in a few months this will be a main focal point in the off season. Leaving your defense with a questionable #2 corner Webster who is always injured & a small UDFA CB Hatfield as your starting corners (who was toasted by a WWC QB yesterday.... Think what Brees will do to Hatfield).

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I just had an idea that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner. Get a stud ILBer in the draft or free agency and move Ooltree to OLBer. Just brilliant if I do say so myself.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I guess that I failed to make myself clear.

The context was what players, if upgraded, would improve the Rams to the status of a deep playoff threat? Possibly even a SB threat.
You made yourself very clear 43...some just want to attack the poster, instead of commenting on the post.

A deep playoff run....a threat to win/reach a superbowl....I guess you gotta lay it out for some....cause they appear to just like to win a few games...and they're happy.

@BonifayRam points out some obvious problems that will arise at the end of the season...all the upcoming FA's...This team will radically change after 2017. You can't keep em all....and some of them are the best...like Donald.

hmmmmmm

quick fixes can be found in the draft....more speed in the backend of the defense....at corner and safeties....Maybe Joyner stays....I guess we're stuck with John Johnson...so lets add some speed at corner. We need some serious strength and bulk in the D-Line...to protect out smallish and already signed ILB's.

Offense...well....well....I go O-Line....maulers and mashers....big uglies that drive men off the earth....

I wouldn't worry about TE's....not that Higbee is doing that great, he's not....big drop waiting to happen....and misses blocks worse than any lineman we've ever had. But, we're locked in with him as well. I'd improve the LINE....We've gotta find a way to get TG to be productive. Otherwise, this offense doesn't look that good.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think it's a little early to think about upgrading positions, it's a new scheme on both sides of the ball. This team is very close to having a winning season and making the playoffs for the first time in over a decade and somehow people are talking about next season and where to upgrade. Obviously this team and every team looks to improve their roster, but I would wait until after the season is over. There will be plenty of time to discuss what areas need to be improved upon, and we'll have a whole season to evaluate each player. Who knows, some players might make an impact later on in the season, or the playoffs.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Upgrade em all.
Just, don't forget to turn off the salary cap and trade deadlines when you start the new season. Oh, and create a new player, make him a TE, jack all of his stats up to 99, and name him Jeff Lebowski.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Upgrade em all.
Just, don't forget to turn off the salary cap and trade deadlines when you start the new season. Oh, and create a new player, make him a TE, jack all of his stats up to 99, and name him Jeff Lebowski.
So you're saying we need to upgrade at TE?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes there is plenty of Salary Cap in 2018 to improve several areas Rams Approx.Team Cap Space: $48.5 million. There are even more positions that will suffer deletions too. The largest unknown is the pending Aaron Donald contract.

I am pretty sure that most members here would find it foolish to pay LB Rob Quinn a near 12.5 million or WR Tavon Austin 8 million for their services in 2018 too. So you could add in those savings that would push the Cap Space up towards over 64 million!

This is a Current list of Rams who will not be under a Ram contract in March of 2018:

Trumaine Johnson CB
Sammy Watkins WR
Connor Barwin 34OLB

Dominique Easley 34DE
Lance Dunbar RB
Cody Davis S
Lamarcus Joyner S
Derek Carrier TE
John Sullivan C
Jake McQuaide LS
Nickell Robey-Coleman CB
Tyrunn Walker 34DT
Cornelius Lucas LT
Matt Longacre 34OLB
Troy Hill CB Rams
Darrell Williams RT
Zach Laskey RB
Malcolm Brown RB
Johnny Mundt TE
Paul McRoberts WR

When the Rams are facing a major unit loss amount of your secondary in a few months this will be a main focal point in the off season. Leaving your defense with a questionable #2 corner Webster who is always injured & a small UDFA CB Hatfield as your starting corners (who was toasted by a WWC QB yesterday.... Think what Brees will do to Hatfield).

I'm not quite ready to assume Austin won't be returning, ... while his 2018 CAP hit is astronomical at $8.mil. cutting him triggers a $5.mil dead money charge, so the savings becomes negligible. Austin's dead money hit falls to $0. in 2019, that's when i'd be expecting him to move on. I do agree on Quinn being relieved of duty in 2018, as his $12.4mil., and his dead money hit will only come in at around $1.mil.

With the currently scheduled 2018 available CAP funds set at approx. $38.670mil., plus the approx. $10.mil overall NFL CAP allowance which has nearly become automatic, plus what is on account today as leftover 2017 CAP space of which you can also add another $5.396.mil. in rollover to the bottom line. If indeed Quinn is let go, add again that $11.4mil. to the available CAP, ... so we now approach an available CAP nearer $65.mil., and you can certainly expect to see a few other cuts not mentioned here.

Of the earlier listed names (BonafayRam's) which may see free agency, the following are RFA's, not UFA's, so we can be reasonably certain they will be back in camp with relatively inexpensive contracts for 2018 :

Matt Longacre
Darrell Williams
Malcolm Brown
Johnny Mundt
Troy Hill

Of the remaining list of potential free agents I'd personally hope to see re-signed & back in camp :

Sammy Watkins
Dominique Easley (if healthy)
Lamarcus Joyner
Nickell Robey-Coleman
John Sullivan
Cody Davis
Jake McQuaid
Tyrunn Walker

Other than Watkins who is in a salary class of his own, the Sullivan, Joyner & Robey-Coleman contracts should be the only upscale pay-outs until we start looking at outside free-agents.

The Aaron Donald contract doesn't need to be dealt with until following the 2018 season, his 2018 5'th year option will provide a 3X salary raise over his 2017 earnings, ... and even in a worst case scenario, he would be franchise tagged in 2019 and remain with the team.

jmo.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I just had an idea that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner. Get a stud ILBer in the draft or free agency and move Ooltree to OLBer. Just brilliant if I do say so myself.
For what it's worth, you're not the only one thinking along those lines as I recently suggested that in a different thread.

It's obvious that they need to make adjustments to fit this defensive scheme. I think if you do that alone the run defense improves. Then a corner ... or two depending on what happens with Johnson.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Rams need a Pot Roast type run stuffing 3-4 NT and a legit pass rushing OLB.

They can upgrade from Havenstein.

They need a TE that produces in the passing game, perhaps that's Everett, and why you spent a second rounder on him.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Hard to shine as a receiver when you don't get the ball. Aside from not catching a couple of contested throws Higbee did what was asked of him against the Vikings. Goff does not throw to the TEs.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having trouble attributing who said what there, DX?

Barron got his massive contract as a weakside linebacker.

We shall see if he is still in the middle, or even on the roster, after next year's draft and FA.
He’s definitely go be there

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point I’m making is everyone keep saying Barron like he’s the problem with our rushing defense and he’s not.

When ogletree learns how to keep his gap integrity in the middle of the field and we get some push from our NT then watch our run defense get better.

It’s just tiring when people rehase the same lines without really watching what’s going on.
@yorks_ram so what’s your opinion???

…..

Legend
Try ro resist the urge to rebuild the roster after each loss please.

Most of this stuff is glaringly obvious anyway. We'll polish the roster in the off season. Kinda like we do every year.

Thanks